PDA

View Full Version : Pat Forde's article on Cincinnati...

OesterPoster
04-25-2007, 05:33 PM
...sorry if already posted, but I didn't see it anywhere here. Ties together Reds-Bengals-Bearcats and just about everything else in Cincinnati sports. I'm not real sure what to make of the article though. Seems like he's trying to stir the black vs. white pot to me.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?columnist=forde_pat&id=2848689&sportCat=ncb&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab1pos1

dabvu2498
04-25-2007, 06:09 PM
Nothing like interviewing a dancer from The Foxxx to add credibility to your story.

Usually I like Forde. Stick to your side of the river, Pat.

Dom Heffner
04-25-2007, 06:17 PM
So the 51 year old ex-wife of Tom Dinkel gets arrested and that looks bad on the Bengals?

Am I missing something?

Chip R
04-25-2007, 07:16 PM
So the 51 year old ex-wife of Tom Dinkel gets arrested and that looks bad on the Bengals?

Am I missing something?

I think that was a big stretch. In fact, I think that was so big of a stretch, I hope Pat didn't pull anything. But he does raise a lot of good points. I'm not sure he's trying to stir the black/white pot since I think a lot of people have a question on whether it's a double standard to support Josh Hamilton and not support Chris Henry. I'm guessing if Henry stays out of trouble and comes back to the Bengals and performs they way he has, the fans will embrace him as they have done with Josh. And a lot of what he's said happens everywhere. The Driving While Black happens probably in ever major city in the US. I would have like to seen him delve into the support for the NFL and high school football versus a lack of support for UC. If you want to talk contradictions, that's a big one. But we can't just say, "Oh, he's from out of town so he doesn't know what he's talking about."

Hoosier Red
04-25-2007, 07:24 PM
I must have skipped over that line Dom.

Personally I think the article was pretty much spot on.

Dom Heffner
04-25-2007, 07:29 PM
Personally I think the article was pretty much spot on.

I think I could write that article about any city in America.

KYRedsFan
04-25-2007, 11:31 PM
Lotta stuff many many of my friends have brought up when talking about Cincy over the years. Forde has turned into a pretty good writer since he left Louisville.

Dom Heffner
04-26-2007, 10:22 AM
I think Forde is a wonderful writer, which can sometimes be a bad thing. Good writers can make you believe things that aren't true. The prose is wonderful, but wonderful prose can take these things (quoting a few individuals to make his case for him, tying Dinkel's wife to the Bengals) can prove a false point.

FOrde quotes someone as saying that Pete Rose would get inducted into the hall of fame unanimously if the city got tot vote , and that isn't anywhere near true. It's an important point because Forde is trying to say that Cincy is forgiving of some but not of others. THis board is a giant collection of Reds fans, and I don't think Pete makes it if we voted. It certainly wouldn't be unanimous.

Henry and Hamilton are two different birds altogether: Hamilton committed his sins on another team with no Cincy investment whatsoever. Henry was drafted by the Bengals and we are still dealing with his mishaps years later. Hamilton is turning a corner before our very eyes; Henry is stuck behind the building and he's not coming out anytime soon. And the best part of this all is that neither of them is even from Cincinnati. And neither of these guys have anything to do with the city other than they play here.

There is no doubt that Forde is gifted at stringing words together, but that doesn't mean he has proven his assertions.

Who couldn't look at any city, take a few famous people from that city, and then compare those people to say, "How can a city that produced this, produce this as well?" "How can a city that believes this, believe that?"
Human beings are full of these contradictions, and who makes up cities?

Human beings.

The world is full of things that are apparent contradictions.

The fact is that different types of people come from the same cities.

Whoopity doo. If you find that fascinating, you'd be happy to know we've put a man on the moon.

Lotta stuff many many of my friends have brought up when talking about Cincy over the years.

The world is a little too big a place to argue by anecdote.

I live in Florida. We hear all the time about Doc Gooden, our strip clubs, athletes being arrested in Orlando on a weekly basis, etc. When my dad was alive he used to ask me what the heck was going on down here.

You could write the same article about New York, Philadelphia- almost any modern city.

These writers get paid to write interesting articles, and I think Forde succeeded there. But to say he was successful at saying something about the city of Cincinnati that couldn't be said about other metro areas- I don't think so.

We mustn't confuse writing talent with argumentative talent.

Jerry Springer is a non-issue. That happened 30 years ago. Marge Schott was over a decade ago. So was Pete Rose.

It's tempting to look at these together and try to find a connection, but these are unrelated events, other than they happened in a city the size of Cincy. Wow, that's stunning. Nothing like that has ever happened anywhere else.

Forde tries to say that Cleveland and Cincinnati are two different places.

I could write an article right now about Albert Belle running down trick or treaters with his SUV and tie it to Lake Erie being on fire. Wouldn't that be fun? And then I could bring up how Ernest Byner fumbled a ball on the two yard line, assuring their pro football team it wouldn't go to a Super Bowl until it got the heck out of Dodge.

Couldn't we all a write an essay that could tie those things together to make Cleveland appear a certain way?

Heath
04-26-2007, 11:00 AM
Couldn't we all a write an essay that could tie those things together to make Cleveland appear a certain way?

However, in Cleveland, you don't have to write it in a way, you just have to collect the data.

As a Browns fan and having family in the Cleveland area, I am hoping the Cavaliers win the NBA this year. They don't have a point guard, they can't play sustained defense and they are the most inconsistent 50 win team ever assembled. But, if they make the NBA finals, the above essays will be written.

TeamBoone
04-26-2007, 12:01 PM
Dom, I tried to give you some rep, but I must spread it around (it usually says that for about 6 months after you rep someone).

Anyway, I found your post to be right on the money. It would make a wonderful written response to the story if there is an option to do so.

It would even be a wonderful 'letter to the editor' in The Enquirer if you named the source of the original article.

michst
04-26-2007, 12:43 PM
I agree with you Dom, but he does make some points that are pretty much dead on about Cincinnati that are pretty unique to us. The Xavier AD brought up that most people who grew up in Cincinnati don't appreciate how good this city really is. We like to see the negative and sometimes don't appreciate the positives. Its weird because we do defend our city to other people though (almost like only you can make fun of your own family). I'm sure thats true to a certain extent with other cities.

The point about east/west and asking what highschool one goes to, is also spot on.

westofyou
04-26-2007, 12:46 PM
The point about east/west and asking what highschool one goes to, is also spot on.

So... what High School did you go to then?

KittyDuran
04-26-2007, 12:46 PM
Dom, I tried to give you some rep, but I must spread it around (it usually says that for about 6 months after you rep someone).

Anyway, I found your post to be right on the money. It would make a wonderful written response to the story if there is an option to do so.

It would even be a wonderful 'letter to the editor' in The Enquirer if you named the source of the original article.Very good post... and I gave Dom rep points for ya, TB! :)

TeamBoone
04-26-2007, 01:06 PM
Very good post... and I gave Dom rep points for ya, TB! :)

Thx Kitty!

michst
04-26-2007, 01:11 PM
st x

westofyou
04-26-2007, 01:21 PM
st x

I know folks who went there, I went to Mariemont myself.

Crash Davis
04-26-2007, 03:22 PM
Overall, I thought it was a pretty fair representation of the complexity of Cincinnati. How would you present Cincinnati if you had to write an article trying to explain to the rest of the world what makes it a unique American city?

Granted, the ex-wife of Tom Dinkel thing was so irrelevant that it does take away from the article. And while I think the Henry vs. Hamilton debate is really a non-debate, it was a way to tie in the ultra-conservatism of the city and question whether that actually has an impact on race relations. I don't think race is an issue with most Cincinnatians in their views on Henry & Hamilton, but race has certainly been an issue with the city in the past.

On the other hand, is it to Forde's credit or detriment that he broaches the race question with Henry vs. Hamilton but doesn't actually come to a conclusion? He clearly states that Hamilton is a different story, and he certainly doesn't try to make Henry look good with the stripper/dance club anecdote. So what was the point of bringing the two of them together for an angle?

I think he hit on the major issues in Cincinnati, and he did a relatively fair job of providing background. But what were his conclusions? Maybe that's the point, Cincinnati is so complex that conclusions are elusive.

I thought this reader response on the website was pretty good:

Pat, I had to compliment on you on your very accurate depiction of Cincinnati. I grew up in the suburbs of Cincy and am a diehard Bengals and Reds fan, but I moved to Chicago after college. You're right, Cincinnatians simply don't have much need or desire to understand or participate in the larger world - for better or worse. This creates the dichotomy - an immense sense of community, commonality, and passion for its own (Rose, Huggins), coupled with a lack of desire to grow or expand beyond what it is really a smallminded view of the world. It is at once the city's charm and downfall. It's the thing that makes a more liberal-leaning expatriate like myself love going home to visit, and never for once thinking I can stay once I'm there. I did want to say that as for the numerous Bengal arrests... had the same players done the same things while playing for the Chicago Bears, maybe one or two arrests would have taken place. Chris Henry for serving drinks to minors, yes. Chris Henry for making a turn without a turn signal and not wearing a seatbelt - highly unlikely. That's not to say that the players driving drunk or without seatbelts were not wrong, but trust me, the police in Cincy and its suburbs don't have as much on their plates as police in larger cities, and I don't think you can entirely discount the racial profiling factor from some Cincy-area cops. Eric Steinbach for boating under the influence? Obviously not race-related (he's white), but honestly, I've lived near a giant lake for 10 years now and I don't remember a single boating under the influence arrest. Again, Cincinnati isn't overrun with crime, which is good for most, and not so good for professional football players who can tend to live just on the other side of the law. All that said, I'll espouse the virtues of growing up in Cincy to anyone and everyone I can. It really is a great place to grow up.

KYRedsFan
04-26-2007, 03:38 PM
All the old references are fine, I mostly was caught by his discussion of just how insular the thinking and behavior of Cincy can be. That is not anectdotal. Cincy just has a habit of a large inward view of itself, which as many said can be a good thing in that a sense of pride is held for many local institutions and traditions, but at the same time can lead to a poor image on the nationwide stage as they lose sight of what is perhaps acceptable/appropriate.

BurgervilleBuck
04-26-2007, 04:03 PM
Comparing this with the Cowherd rant and whatever Daugherty has been smoking (http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs/daugherty/2007/04/krap-in-cincinnati.asp) and this really isn't that bad of an article.

I felt the whole thing regarding Pete Rose was oversimplified. I think can all agree that he belongs in the HoF because of his on-the-field accomplishments. However, I and perhaps a few more folks believe that Pete shouldn't be allowed to coach or manage a team again.

It gets hard to support Pete on these things when he constantly contradicts his previous statements but then I try to remember that Ty Cobb wasn't a sweetheart either and he's in Cooperstown.

I love this city, the whole Greater Cincinnati area. I love my teams and I love Skyline chili.

Doc. Scott
04-26-2007, 05:30 PM
Having grown up in the affluent northern suburbs, I can't say that I really relate to all that much of what Forde is talking about. The West Side/East Side thing was nonexistent where I was (although now the area has two separate high schools so it's probably sort of a microcosm of that now), for example.

The one new thing I hadn't heard was the comparison of Cincinnati to a Southern city. That's at least defensible and sort of interesting.

westofyou
04-26-2007, 05:37 PM
The one new thing I hadn't heard was the comparison of Cincinnati to a Southern city. That's at least defensible and sort of interesting.I've always thought of Cincinnati as being more "Southern" in makeup then "Northern" I say this having lived in the south and north. I won't bother comparing it to the western half of the US, I don't see any resemblance's there.

Caseyfan21
04-26-2007, 06:00 PM
The one new thing I hadn't heard was the comparison of Cincinnati to a Southern city. That's at least defensible and sort of interesting.

I agree. That's the one thing that really got me thinking in the article. I grew up in the northern suburbs of Cincinnati/southern suburbs of Dayton. I always find myself associating more with Cincinnati than Dayton though which is interesting because Dayton is 20 mins away while Cincinnati is 45 mins away. I guess it's just because the media and others like to associate Warren County with Cincy. But that's besides the point. One of the funniest things that has happened to me since I have been at Ohio State has been when on a few occasions people in Columbus have said they can hear a bit of a southern accent in my speech. This is really ridiculous but I think Cincinnati is really a bit separated from Columbus and especially Cleveland. Whether Cincinnatians admit it or not, they really do have a lot in common with the neighbor across the river. I guess this sort of stuff lends Cincinnati more of a southern feel.

I've been to quite a few cities in the south and north and I too think Cincinnati has more of that laid back feel of a southern city as compared to a Boston/New York where people always seem to be more in a hurry.

TeamBoone
04-26-2007, 09:30 PM
Personally, I think most of these descriptions of Cincinnati are a bunch of crap.

I'm more in the line of thinking that these descriptions are what Cincinnati was like in the past (old descriptions are hard to shake) but are a far cry from what Cincinnati is now.

I moved here from upstate NY almost 14 years ago. The majority of the people I've met are not from here originally. For the most part, the complexion of the city has changed from what it was twenty or even fifteen years ago.

It is no longer the insular, ultra conservative city/suburbs that those who lived here a while ago remember.

Crash Davis
04-27-2007, 03:39 AM
Personally, I think most of these descriptions of Cincinnati are a bunch of crap.

I'm more in the line of thinking that these descriptions are what Cincinnati was like in the past (old descriptions are hard to shake) but are a far cry from what Cincinnati is now.

I moved here from upstate NY almost 14 years ago. The majority of the people I've met are not from here originally. For the most part, the complexion of the city has changed from what it was twenty or even fifteen years ago.

It is no longer the insular, ultra conservative city/suburbs that those who lived here a while ago remember.

So you obviously don't live on the Westside, right?

I'm not trying to be flippant, but I do think much of Cincinnati's conservative, blue collar and "southern" reputation comes from the westside of town...NTTAWT.

The relatively provincial westside has stood firmly behind Pete Rose & Bob Huggins and also has had its fair share of race issues. Additionally, it's much easier to understand their eagerness to pardon Pete Rose's sins considering how many degenerate gamblers inhabit the west side of Cincinnati. I'm not saying any of this to tear down the westside of town, but many of the points Forde made are representative of the area. It's a unique slice of America with fierce attributes balanced out by some equally vulnerable weaknesses.

bucksfan2
04-27-2007, 10:28 AM
So you obviously don't live on the Westside, right?

I'm not trying to be flippant, but I do think much of Cincinnati's conservative, blue collar and "southern" reputation comes from the westside of town...NTTAWT.

The relatively provincial westside has stood firmly behind Pete Rose & Bob Huggins and also has had its fair share of race issues. Additionally, it's much easier to understand their eagerness to pardon Pete Rose's sins considering how many degenerate gamblers inhabit the west side of Cincinnati. I'm not saying any of this to tear down the westside of town, but many of the points Forde made are representative of the area. It's a unique slice of America with fierce attributes balanced out by some equally vulnerable weaknesses.

I grew up on the westside and take a little offense to your assesment. Have you ever lived on the west side? I say this beause I went to school at OSU and lived with two guys who were from Anderson and there is really little difference between the three of us. That said I do not want to get into a debate about this.

Forde worte an interesting article that made some rather large assupmtions and connections. Because Springer and Larry Flint are from cincy does that make us all unmoral. There is a town in colorado along I 70 midway up in the Rockies that ellected a former striper Mayor of their city. Does that mean that the town is a group of stripper aficionados? The comparisons to Henry and Hamilton have grown tiresome and really are not comparable when you look at the situation in depth. Believe me it is an unique city and I guess I will stop there before I get going to far.

Crash Davis
04-27-2007, 10:42 AM
I grew up on the westside and take a little offense to your assesment. Have you ever lived on the west side? I say this beause I went to school at OSU and lived with two guys who were from Anderson and there is really little difference between the three of us. That said I do not want to get into a debate about this.

Forde worte an interesting article that made some rather large assupmtions and connections. Because Springer and Larry Flint are from cincy does that make us all unmoral. There is a town in colorado along I 70 midway up in the Rockies that ellected a former striper Mayor of their city. Does that mean that the town is a group of stripper aficionados? The comparisons to Henry and Hamilton have grown tiresome and really are not comparable when you look at the situation in depth. Believe me it is an unique city and I guess I will stop there before I get going to far.

I'm 33 years old and spent the first 31 years of my life deep in the heart of the westside, mostly in the Delhi/Price Hill area. I know the area very well and have almost all of my family and hundreds of friends still there.

What is it that offended you?

dabvu2498
04-27-2007, 10:54 AM
I'm 33 years old and spent the first 31 years of my life deep in the heart of the westside, mostly in the Delhi/Price Hill area. I know the area very well and have almost all of my family and hundreds of friends still there.

What is it that offended you?

I figured that your real name was "Richard" and that you were from Indian Hill. ;)

westofyou
04-27-2007, 10:59 AM
I figured that your real name was "Richard" and that you were from Indian Hill. ;)

All the best pool hopping occurs in the Hill.

Chip R
04-27-2007, 04:15 PM
Pat Forde must have had this thread in mind when he wrote his article. :)

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57247

improbus
07-10-2007, 10:46 AM
I moved out of the West Side when I was a kid, so my observations might be a little different than people who stayed or left when they were older. But, let me point out a few weird things in comparison to say, Columbus, where I now live.

1) I totally agree with Forde on the HS identification. I went to HS school in Columbus, but my blood still boils when I hear the name of Elder. It makes no sense. I didn't go to LaSalle, but my dad and his 5 brothers did. Weird. This doesn't happen in Columbus (or anywhere else)

2) I recently went on a pub crawl in downtown Cheviot with some family, and found that everyone in all the bars knew at least a dozen other people. This didn't happen at just one bar, it happened at four or five. This would never happen in Columbus, ever.

3) You can drink beer at softball complexes. This is the one thing I wish most for Columbus, but all of our fields are at public parks. When I try to describe Rumpke, Kolping, etc..., Columbus residents can't believe it.

4) Local joints. The West Side still has butchers, bakeries, Pony Kegs (which only exist in Cincy), repair shops, etc... Columbus has one or two tiny pockets of local stuff (Bexley, Clintonville) but it is almost overwhelmingly corporate and bland, (see: Polaris, Easton, basically the entire North Side of town outside the outerbelt; basically, think Mason/West Chester, only the whole city)

5) HS sports matter, BIG TIME. People care about Moeller, Elder, X, Colerain, etc... In Columbus, we just don't care. We're too busy going to one of our thousands of malls.

6) Racism: A personal anecdote. In the Spring of '01, I was on the small Greek Island of Paros, studying abroad. I would periodically turn on the news to see what was up at home. So, one day on BBC World I see Cincinnati is under a curfew because of racial problems, and the worst part was that I wasn't surprised in the least. Name for me another city that has had anything similar in the last 10 years. The only possible comparison is LA and the post OJ riots. Cincy has a combination of Southern Racism and Midwestern Politeness that makes the situation awkward. Nobody will willingly admit racism, but they will gladly mutter it to one another.

Dom Heffner
07-10-2007, 11:35 AM
Politeness that makes the situation awkward. Nobody will willingly admit racism, but they will gladly mutter it to one another.

I had a client yesterday say to me, "I don't mean this to sound bad, but everybody involved was Black..."

It is absolutely everywhere.

improbus
07-10-2007, 12:28 PM
I had a client yesterday say to me, "I don't mean this to sound bad, but everybody involved was Black..."

It is absolutely everywhere.

It's a very polite strand of racism, which might be worse than an overtly hostile one because in the end, you never know who is and who isn't.

camisadelgolf
07-10-2007, 03:13 PM
"I'm not racist, but . . . "

I can't believe how often I hear that.

OldRightHander
07-10-2007, 03:39 PM
When I was single, I never paid attention to racism, but since I've been married I am more apt to notice it more. It's very subtle, but people still look at mixed race couples differently, just an odd glance here and there.

Ltlabner
07-10-2007, 04:46 PM
When I was single, I never paid attention to racism, but since I've been married I am more apt to notice it more. It's very subtle, but people still look at mixed race couples differently, just an odd glance here and there.

This is likely too close to peanut gallery stuff, but does an odd glance imply racism?

Just resonding to that one comment. I'm sure it's a far more complex situation than just the one line in your post, but there may be many other explinations besides racism.

Dom Heffner
07-10-2007, 05:36 PM
This is likely too close to peanut gallery stuff, but does an odd glance imply racism?

I think when it happens to you, you have a pretty good idea when it's real.

Ltlabner
07-10-2007, 05:54 PM
I think when it happens to you, you have a pretty good idea when it's real.

I'm not disputing that at all. Like I said in my original post, those situations are too complex to discribe in a simple sentence on an internet forum so it's easier to just say, "we get funny looks". Having never interacted with ORH I don't know his background so I'd be an idiot to deny that he's ever experienced racisim.

I was just pointing out that getting a funny look doesn't have to mean it's racism. If it's a funny look in the middle of a cocktail party, a job interview or golf match, then yea, likely that person has issues. That is, you can put said look into context because you are interacting with that other person and can likley sort out their adgenda from what they say, how they say it, etc. and give some meaning to the "funny look".

But if it's a funny look walking down the street it could be anything really. Maybe ORH has a horrable toupee? Maybe Mrs. ORH is 6'5" and Mr. ORH is 5'2" ? Maybe ORH's fly is open? Maybe he has BO? Maybe he's got spinich in his teath? Maybe Mrs ORG wears makeup like the lady from the Drew Carry show? There's a million reasons why someone would give you a funny look.

Redsfaithful
07-10-2007, 07:05 PM
5) HS sports matter, BIG TIME. People care about Moeller, Elder, X, Colerain, etc... In Columbus, we just don't care. We're too busy going to one of our thousands of malls.

Maybe it just depends on the crowd you hang out with, but high school sports in Columbus always seemed like a pretty huge deal to me. I agree that it doesn't approach Cincinnati levels, but I also wouldn't say Columbus doesn't care. I've been to quite a few standing room only football games in Columbus.

Reds Freak
07-10-2007, 07:16 PM
Maybe it just depends on the crowd you hang out with, but high school sports in Columbus always seemed like a pretty huge deal to me. I agree that it doesn't approach Cincinnati levels, but I also wouldn't say Columbus doesn't care. I've been to quite a few standing room only football games in Columbus.

There had to be an Ohio State recruit involved for a standing room only high school crowd...

OldRightHander
07-10-2007, 08:34 PM

Just resonding to that one comment. I'm sure it's a far more complex situation than just the one line in your post, but there may be many other explinations besides racism.

Not all the time, but you can kind of tell when it is and when it isn't. It's kind of hard to tell, and I'm not nearly as sensitive as my wife is about it, but sometimes you can just tell that someone doesn't approve. Oddly enough, I see more of that from black folk than from whites, but I really don't want to go any farther along those lines or we might end up getting this thread closed.

Most of the time I think people are more likely to stare because they're wondering how someone like me managed to get someone like her. ;)

improbus
07-10-2007, 10:27 PM

I teach at a Columbus High School that is traditionally pretty strong at football, and its not that big a deal. I went to the regional final in 2006 and they couldn't sell out Upper Arlington's High School stadium. I think Cincy's sports are more important because people identify more with their HS than people from Columbus once they've graduated. Also, there are more intense rivalries between schools. In Columbus, I can't think of too many rivalries that have stood the test of time.

Put it this way, even though I live in Columbus, I hear almost immediately that Colerain changed coaches. Could you tell me when any of the Columbus HS's coaching changes was big news?

Also, look at the numbers put up in these games
http://www.cincinnati.com/preps/2001/11/18/pre_sellout_watches_st_x.html

Boston Red
07-11-2007, 10:21 PM
1) I totally agree with Forde on the HS identification. I went to HS school in Columbus, but my blood still boils when I hear the name of Elder. It makes no sense. I didn't go to LaSalle, but my dad and his 5 brothers did. Weird. This doesn't happen in Columbus (or anywhere else)

It actually does happen in Louisville, too. Trinity/St. X in Louisville is as contentious as they come. But nowhere else I have lived does that happen.

Redsfaithful
07-11-2007, 11:53 PM
I teach at a Columbus High School that is traditionally pretty strong at football, and its not that big a deal. I went to the regional final in 2006 and they couldn't sell out Upper Arlington's High School stadium. I think Cincy's sports are more important because people identify more with their HS than people from Columbus once they've graduated. Also, there are more intense rivalries between schools. In Columbus, I can't think of too many rivalries that have stood the test of time.

Put it this way, even though I live in Columbus, I hear almost immediately that Colerain changed coaches. Could you tell me when any of the Columbus HS's coaching changes was big news?

Also, look at the numbers put up in these games
http://www.cincinnati.com/preps/2001/11/18/pre_sellout_watches_st_x.html

Colerain has been a nationally ranked program in recent years which I think explains that. If Hilliard Davidson or someone else in Columbus ever got to that level it would become big news.

It's definitely not as big of a deal as it is in Cincinnati, I just don't agree that nobody cares. Plenty of OCC games get pretty packed. Ohio high school sports, in general, are a bigger deal than in most of the country, but Cincinnati does care the most in the state. I think it comes down to parochial schools being such a big deal, public schools don't get the same level of support from alumni.