PDA

View Full Version : The Offense and the Bullpen

reds44
04-25-2007, 11:19 PM
A. Does Krivsky know what the heck he is doing with either.
B. How would you fix them?

HumnHilghtFreel
04-25-2007, 11:24 PM
Bullpen- Cut some dead weight and bring up the guys from AAA.

The offense, however, I'm not quite sure what you can do other than hope they can shake off this "slump"

HokieRed
04-25-2007, 11:29 PM
My hoped for bullpen by July 1: Guardado, Weathers, Bray, Majewski, Salmon, Belisle, Medlock.

bthomasiscool
04-26-2007, 12:05 AM
don't forget the defense...

mroby85
04-26-2007, 12:06 AM
i don't know if this can be fixed inside the organization, they need to get at least one established stud that they can count on.

Kc61
04-26-2007, 12:14 AM
My hoped for bullpen by July 1: Guardado, Weathers, Bray, Majewski, Salmon, Belisle, Medlock.

The starting pitchers have been very good. There has been little need for early and middle relief. Most of the bullpen action -- and the problems -- have involved the late inning relievers.

Saarloos is a starter and long man. He is a pretty decent pitcher but is badly miscast in his 8th inning role. Weathers and Stanton are complimentary guys at this point. Ok for occasional late inning stints, but not main late relievers. Coffey hasn't yet developed into a dependable late inning short reliever.

Most of the Reds' relievers would be ok as middle innings guys. But they really need some late innings relievers. Where are Mike Jackson and Jeff Brantley when you need them? (I know where Brantley is, actually.)

WVRedsFan
04-26-2007, 12:15 AM
don't forget the defense...

Amen. Gonzo now with 3 errors in 21 games. Didn't he have only 7 all of last year? Of course, Hatteberg should have had that throw or at least kept it from getting away. Sheesh.

HokieRed
04-26-2007, 01:01 AM
A. Does Krivsky know what he's doing on offense?
Consider these three players given away: B. Harris, .325/.375/.525/.900;
Matt Kata, .278/.316/.611/.927; and C.Ross, .326/.370/.651/1.021

jimbo
04-26-2007, 01:03 AM
Amen. Gonzo now with 3 errors in 21 games. Didn't he have only 7 all of last year? Of course, Hatteberg should have had that throw or at least kept it from getting away. Sheesh.

I'm not worried about Gonzo, he has had a lot on his mind recently. When you have a child that is very sick, it has a tendancy to affect everything you do in your life, especially when you are away on the job.

WVRedsFan
04-26-2007, 01:30 AM
I'm not worried about Gonzo, he has had a lot on his mind recently. When you have a child that is very sick, it has a tendancy to affect everything you do in your life, especially when you are away on the job.

I know about that first hand. I had forgotten about it and I appreciate you reminding me, although I really wasn't criticizing him as much as wondering why.

KronoRed
04-26-2007, 02:27 AM
Nothing to be done about the O, nothing on the farm is ready to come up and make a difference.

As for the pen, I'd trade the Bats pen for ours.

RedsFanWC
04-26-2007, 02:36 AM
The O wont improve unless EE starts hitting. He has to drive in runs especially against left handers. You cant sacrifice the two corner infield positions offensively and have a strong offense. At least Hatteberg and Conine give you quality at bats, solid D, and clubhouse leadership to make up for their lack of power. EE gives you nothing right now.

BigREDSfaninKY
04-26-2007, 02:46 AM
Don't leave out my boy D Ross either. How about that robust .130 BA and getting on base at a .176 clip. He has K'd nearly half of his AB's this year. He's got NO clue at the plate right now. He cannot tell the difference between a fastball and breaking ball right now. He and EE are killing this team offensively.

UK Reds Fan
04-26-2007, 09:43 AM
I'd start by asking why we didn't retain Chambliss and are know going with Jacoby. I for one thought Chambliss was a part of some nice offensive teams that had guy improve greatly and not just playing to their regular career norms.

Guys like Lopez, Phillips, EE, Freel, Ross, Aurillia, Valentin, Willy Mo, etc...hit nicely while Chambliss was in town.

Now outside of Hamilton and Gonzo the entire team is hitting at or below (in some cases way below) recent past numbers.

membengal
04-26-2007, 10:36 AM
I wish more of the fellas would find a way to work the occasional walk. There have simply not been enough baserunners during this prolonged offensive doldrums. It's why I have never understood the Dunn bashing. Get me runners on base, as much as possible, and eventually runs will follow.

This team needs more baserunners. Period.

Bench5
04-26-2007, 10:37 AM
Dunn should have been traded before the season. Now you have a total waste of money in the 2/3/4 spot (wherever he is in the lineup) who may hit his useless 40 by year end. Until then, he is one big waste. 1 unassisted home run since opening day.....countless times that he could have moved a runner over, yet K'd, etc, etc, etc....

Guy is a joke.

membengal
04-26-2007, 10:44 AM
Incorrect and ill-informed post. But, hey, welcome to the site. There are, sadly, plenty here in your incorrect and ill-informed club...

George Anderson
04-26-2007, 10:49 AM
Now you have a total waste of money in the 2/3/4 spot (wherever he is in the lineup) who may hit his useless 40 by year end.

Yea many a time I have sat there and said "that was one useless homerun" :rolleyes:

Always Red
04-26-2007, 11:05 AM
I wish more of the fellas would find a way to work the occasional walk. There have simply not been enough baserunners during this prolonged offensive doldrums. It's why I have never understood the Dunn bashing. Get me runners on base, as much as possible, and eventually runs will follow.

This team needs more baserunners. Period.

good point, but this team is 8th in the league in BB's, right in the middle.

We just need to get on base, more singles; I think we have too many guys trying to hit HR's every time they're up. Brandon Phillips would be a perennial all-star if he just would put the bat on the ball and go to RF every once in a while. We've seen him do it before, I know he has it in him.

Ross and EE are lost. Both of them should be not in there right now, but there's nowhere else to turn.

membengal
04-26-2007, 11:10 AM
8th in walks isn't good enough for me. I want them in the top 2 or 3. I want to see more plate discipline. I want to see counts worked deeper, free passes accepted. Too few good hitting counts and too few baserunners to this point in the season.

PuffyPig
04-26-2007, 12:02 PM
The problem with our hitting is that some of our hitters are slumping big time. That should change.

A lot of posters point to trading Kearns and Lopez as the downfall of our offense.

if we had those 2 back right now, Lopez would replace Gonzalez, and kearns would replace Hamilton/Freel.

Since our current players have outhit kearns and Lopez, they wouldn't have made a difference.

PuffyPig
04-26-2007, 12:03 PM
A. Does Krivsky know what he's doing on offense?
Consider these three players given away: B. Harris, .325/.375/.525/.900;
Matt Kata, .278/.316/.611/.927; and C.Ross, .326/.370/.651/1.021

I don't seem to remember you clamouring to keep Kata, Harris and Ross when they were dumped.

Most posters here don't even remember when those players were, in fact, dumped.

UK Reds Fan
04-26-2007, 12:03 PM
The problem with our hitting is that some of our hitters are slumping big time. That should change.

A lot of posters point to trading Kearns and Lopez as the downfall of our offense.

if we had those 2 back right now, Lopez would replace Gonzalez, and kearns would replace Hamilton/Freel.

Since our current players have outhit kearns and Lopez, they wouldn't have made a difference.

Can't argue with that logic at all. The replacements for Lopez/Kearns aren't the problem...the meat of the order is the problem right now (Griff, Dunn and EE)

edabbs44
04-26-2007, 12:10 PM
The damage has already been done regarding the bullpen. Cutting Cormier, Stanton and the rest of them still leaves them on the hook for the $ spent. Not signing Cormier and Stanton would have saved about $5 million which could have been added to the $2 million given to Conine. Now you have $7 million to play with for a bat, via free agency or a trade.

Always Red
04-26-2007, 12:10 PM
I don't seem to remember you clamouring to keep Kata, Harris and Ross when they were dumped.

Most posters here don't even remember when those players were, in fact, dumped.

I'll give you that on Kata (I don't even remember him).

Harris, maybe, maybe not. I'd like to see what Keppinger can do.

But a lot of folks here liked Ross. Nothing wrong with some RH pop off the bench. There isn't really a Cody Ross equivalent either here or in AAA.

dfs
04-26-2007, 12:22 PM
A. Does Krivsky know what the heck he is doing with either.
B. How would you fix them?

Bullpen
A. I think Krivsky aquired the type of bullpen arms that Narron asked him to aquire. I would prefer that they use some kids, but I understand why managers and GM's prefer veterans as a blame insurance policy. I think I've made my belief about usage patterns known elsewhere.
B. This is a tough one given the reality of rosters. It sure would be nice to make Cormier vanish. You've got all kinds of players with options to send down and call up. I don't know that roster shuffling will help the pen.

Offense...
A. Given that Krivksy showed interest in the "players given away" when nobody else did makes me think that Wayne knows the value of offense.
B. Very tough to fix this one mid season. The only move I can see him making is to send Edwin down till he gets his head on straight and plenty of people here (myself included) would howl about that move.

REDREAD
04-26-2007, 10:14 PM
I wonder if Wayne is waiting for Bray to get better before giving Cormier the boot.

Someone posted that Cormier was complaining about playing time, and Narron said "Talk to the GM about that".

Degenerate39
04-26-2007, 10:21 PM
I would:

Build a time machine, bring back The Big Red machine, put them on the roster, and our problems would be solved. Think of all the homers they'd get in GABP

Dracodave
04-26-2007, 10:27 PM
Offense:
Thats probably the easiest to fix. Don't relay on a bench of Castro, Valentine, Conine/Hatteberg, Freel, Hamilton, Griffey..whomever. Our bench sucks. Go get real bench players. Castro's money is a waste. Get a right handed bat and stick him at firstbase. We need the right handed offense, he'd compliment Dunn and Hamilton. There were options for this, no one siezed them. (And no Mark Loretta didnt qualify either)

Bullpen:
We all moaned about Stanton, Weathers and Cormier. I was pleased with Saarloos till the move to the bullpen and his spot being toyed with again. Leave him for the 4-7 innings, he's a innings eater period. He's not a closer, He's not a set up man. Stop toying with his spot. Go out and find two more relievers. We have them in our minors. Medlock and Salmon. Call them up and let them pitch. Sink Weathers and Cormier, eat the money. Let the nationals sign them, I don't care.

You field the best team, at any cost.

MaineRed
04-26-2007, 10:56 PM
I know about that first hand. I had forgotten about it and I appreciate you reminding me, although I really wasn't criticizing him as much as wondering why.

When someone says defense is an issue and you say, "AMEN, Gonzo already has 3 errors" that is more than just wondering why.

MaineRed
04-26-2007, 11:05 PM
Can't argue with that logic at all. The replacements for Lopez/Kearns aren't the problem...the meat of the order is the problem right now (Griff, Dunn and EE)

Exactly. But lets ask if WK knows what he is doing with the offense. If WK had traded all the players who have become the problem at the dish before the season started (EE and Ross to name two) he would have been eaten alive by among others, the poster who started this thread. Edwin Encarnacion is among the biggest problem the Reds have right now when it comes to scoring runs but instead of asking what Edwin is doing, we ask if WK knows what he is doing?

Our offense is fine on paper. Our two weakest links are an OK defensive catcher coming off a career year at the plate and a stud defensive SS. What more can WK do? We have 564 HR in right, two guys everyone loves in CF, a franchise guy in left, Redszone's darling at third, about as good as we are going to do without some serious luck second basemen and a pretty strong platoon at first. Does WK know what he is doing? Yes.

I don't know what to say about the bullpen but I think I know one thing, the results for the Reds are not going to change just by waving goodbye to Cormier. Every year there seems to be a player or two who all the Debbie Downers think will magically fix the team if they are removed. In the case of Rheal Cormier, I don't buy it.