PDA

View Full Version : Per Sheldon, Lohse open to extension

kheidg-
04-26-2007, 02:03 AM
Well... DUH.

Leave it to Sheldon to think the Reds will sign him up long term right now. Highly doubt he is with the Reds next year -- especially with his agent being none other than Scott Boras.

I do like Kyle's last quote though:

"I'll be here and working my butt off to help get us to the playoffs," said Lohse. "Obviously, if I do well, I'll be rewarded at the end."

REDREAD
04-26-2007, 10:36 AM
Actually, if Wayne were to offer Lohse a generous extension in the next few weeks, the smart thing to do is to take it.

I'm not saying Wayne will do it.. but hypothetically, if you are Lohse and are offered 3 years @ 21 million.. you take it, given your track record. Milk that hot start. In other words, I don't think Lohse should assume he could maintain this production and hope for 10 million/year as a FA.

Weaver didn't attract a lot of interest last year. I think he ended up only getting a one year deal (but I could be wrong).. I think Lohse's track record is kind of similiar.. If Wayne is willing to give him a big extension, I'd advise him to take it.

Let's hope Wayne doesn't extend the guy (or at least, not right now) though.

TOBTTReds
04-26-2007, 10:41 AM
Hopefully he doesn't get offered anything til he shows some consistancy. Four starts doesn't show enough to add 2 or 3 years.

Matt700wlw
04-26-2007, 10:52 AM
I'd wait a while

Heath
04-26-2007, 10:54 AM
I'd pass. Period.

Prove me wrong, Kyle.

Ltlabner
04-26-2007, 10:58 AM
This news just in....

Ltlabner is also open to large sums of cash being deposited into his bank account.

Always Red
04-26-2007, 11:00 AM
I trade him while his value is as high as it's probably ever going to be.

Lohse has pitched great, no question. I think he's an extreme head case, and it's only a matter of time...

membengal
04-26-2007, 11:00 AM
Said it before across a variety of threads...NEVER underestimate a good contract drive.

Always Red
04-26-2007, 11:01 AM
This news just in....

Ltlabner is also open to large sums of cash being deposited into his bank account.

yes, me too, Abner.

I look at it like this: looks like Kyle Lohse is actually earning his salary this year, eh? Rather than just collecting what was previously agreed to...

steig
04-26-2007, 11:37 AM
I trade him while his value is as high as it's probably ever going to be.

Lohse has pitched great, no question. I think he's an extreme head case, and it's only a matter of time...

The Yankees need pitching and have young talent in the minors.

Jaycint
04-26-2007, 12:18 PM
I say we ride him until the all-star break and then see what we can move him for. If nobody offers anything decent and we are still close in the division/wildcard then ride him out to the end and if he walks we collect a draft pick right?

M2
04-26-2007, 12:26 PM
Said it before across a variety of threads...NEVER underestimate a good contract drive.

Exactly. Lohse is motivated and the Reds would be wise to keep him motivated.

Plus, I get a Jimmy Haynesish feeling when the subject of extending him gets broached.

Benihana
04-26-2007, 01:05 PM
I agree re: trading him to the Yankees. There not gonna deal Hughes to get him, so what else in their system could we look for? I'll take a top-SS prospect and/or young pitching please. If the DRays could get Kazmir for Victor Zambrano, I guess anything's possible...

That said, I'd be careful. Yankees prospects have a way of being overhyped, and when's the last time we scored on a deal with them?

KronoRed
04-26-2007, 01:10 PM
Nothing in his past tells me it would be a good idea to give him a high money deal.

Hubba
04-26-2007, 01:22 PM
I agree re: trading him to the Yankees. There not gonna deal Hughes to get him, so what else in their system could we look for? I'll take a top-SS prospect and/or young pitching please. If the DRays could get Kazmir for Victor Zambrano, I guess anything's possible...

That said, I'd be careful. Yankees prospects have a way of being overhyped, and when's the last time we scored on a deal with them?
Is Arroyo Bronson not a direct result from dealing with the Yankees? When was the last time that they scored on a deal with the Reds?

Rojo
04-26-2007, 09:29 PM
He's got some talent and is going into what are you usually prime years. I'd think about it.

Heath
04-26-2007, 09:36 PM
Kazmir for Zambrano was a Mets, not a Yankees deal.

Stingray
04-26-2007, 10:23 PM
Is Arroyo Bronson not a direct result from dealing with the Yankees? When was the last time that they scored on a deal with the Reds?

Paul O'Neil?

KronoRed
04-27-2007, 01:19 AM
Paul O'Neil?

Ahh Roberto Kelly

That worked out well.

Eric_Davis
04-27-2007, 02:55 AM

Funny, how often that comes into play.

PuffyPig
04-27-2007, 09:52 AM
I say we ride him until the all-star break and then see what we can move him for. If nobody offers anything decent and we are still close in the division/wildcard then ride him out to the end and if he walks we collect a draft pick right?

I think that's the best idea. We can likely get a draft pick if he's pitching well, and we offer him arbitration. But if he's pitched well, then that would be a small risk of his accepting, as some will give him a long term deal.

Hubba
04-27-2007, 11:01 AM
Paul O'Neil?
That is so but who's fault was that?

Chip R
04-27-2007, 11:07 AM
That is so but who's fault was that?

Bob Boone's of course. ;)