PDA

View Full Version : Lonny Wheeler's editorial on Bonds...

coachw513
04-26-2007, 11:52 AM
Really good read...

If we'd only get this lucky IMHO...

Dear Barry: Please stop 1 shy

Column by The Post's Lonnie Wheeler

Mr. Barry Bonds

No. 25

San Francisco Giants

Dear Barry,

Got a great idea for you. You might not realize this, but it seems that a lot of people aren't really big fans of you and what you're about to do. I could tell you my idea when you get to Cincinnati in July, but at the rate you're going - at the moment, your home run total is swelling faster than your arms and head did when you started rubbing in that awesome arthritis cream - you will have already broken Hank Aaron's record by then. That's what I wish wouldn't happen, and I think it would be best for everybody - you included, of course - if you came to feel the same way. So here's what I propose:

When you get to 754, you just stop. Retire. Ride off into the sunset over the bay, bobbing up and down on a wave of goodwill.

Think of it. Instead of going down in history for setting a record that's tainted, resented and disrespected, you can be forever known for the noblest deed that American sport has ever witnessed. The Hall of Fame voters will be touched by that.

You probably noticed that they didn't go for Mark McGwire in his first time around. You're three times the player he was, but far less the sweetheart. As it stands, the objections that zapped him will apply to you super-sized - as if they were on, say, flaxseed oil. But if you bow out humbly from this Aaron thing, it would be a stroke of contrition and character roundly applauded by a grateful nation, one that would make over an image that you really don't want to look at in the mirror for the rest of your life.

You could do what Pete Rose wouldn't until it was too late and too self-serving. Stopping at 754 would be a graceful acknowledgement that your nevertheless amazing numbers were attained, if ever so slightly, by regrettable means. You could redirect this whole unfortunate episode in your favor.

Now, I understand that you're motivated by the concept of setting the record for your late, great father - for all that he and others of his time went through. But as a dad, I think I can vouch for the fact that he would like this. He'd be enormously proud of it - more proud, I dare say, than he'd be of the 756th home run.

And don't forget that the first half of your dad's career coincided with the latter portion of Aaron's. In that light, honoring Hank is a way of honoring Bobby. Don't forget, also, that Aaron goes all the way back to Jackie Robinson. When he was 14, he skipped shop class to hear Robinson speak in Mobile. When he was a rookie with the Braves and they barnstormed north with the Dodgers at the end of spring training, he received his baseball education by sitting quietly in the corner of the room as Robinson played cards and swapped wisdom with Don Newcombe, Joe Black, Junior Gilliam and Roy Campanella.

Remember that it was Babe Ruth whom Aaron was going after, and a whole lot of people hated him for it. In the letters they wrote, they called him a "black animal," a "coon," a "jungle bunny," a "monkey," a "spook" and worse. They wished upon him sickle cell anemia. They threatened his life.

Aaron, too, was asked, many times, to stop before he broke the record. But he was honor-bound to press ahead. By all that he held sacred, he couldn't surrender to the racial malevolence that assaulted him everywhere he went. He had to do it for those before him who hadn't been granted the opportunity, and also for those whose path he was painfully clearing. Like you.

It would become you now to return the favor.

Lonnie Wheeler is the co-author of "I Had a Hammer: the Hank Aaron Story."

westofyou
04-26-2007, 11:54 AM
Yeah sureeeeeeeeeee

Roy Tucker
04-26-2007, 11:56 AM
It would be nice but I just don't see it happening.

Bonds will follow Rose's example and stonewall it till it become irrelevant and nobody cares.

Jr's Boy
04-26-2007, 11:58 AM
He clobbered a 98 mph heater on an 0-2 pitch from Broxton lastnight in L.A.

westofyou
04-26-2007, 11:58 AM
Thoughts on Bonds

Barry Bonds hit his seventh home run of the season last night. He's now getting on base at a .470 clip and slugging .808. I'm totally amazed by this. Watching him play last April, I thought he was through. But as the season wore on he adjusted to his knees and elbow, and now he's approaching the averages he posted earlier in this decade. So what do we make of this fantastic start?

We're in the third year of serious drug testing, and no steroids or other PEDs turned up in Bonds. He allegedly tested positive for speed, but most don't put uppers in the same category as steroids. There is the possibility that Bonds uses something that isn't detectable. (Other than HGH. I hear now that HGH doesn't build strength.) But we also need to consider the possibility that the test are correct, and Bonds is free of perfomance enhancers.

In other words, we have to consider that a forty-two year old man with two surgically repaired knees and a surgically repaired elbow can still hit with the all-time greats. If this is true, if he can put up numbers like this old and disabled, how much did performance enhancers really help him? I'm not excusing Bonds for being a Baseball Jerk. But for the next few years there will be debates about Hall of Fame voting on people suspected of using steroids. If Bonds hits forty plus home runs with a .450 OBA and a .700 slugging percentage with his physical problems, and does so cleanly, that should be a positive for the suspected cheaters. It indicates that skill as a player might be a bigger factor in success than the extra strength gained from PEDs.

Of course, a reasonable person might say that someone couldn't accomplish this level of performance with those physical problems unless help came by way of chemicals. Given Bonds' history, that's a logical conclusion. But if he indeed is clean, then we need to step back and rethink if there's a real difference between clean records and tainted records. It may be tiny.

http://www.baseballmusings.com/

dougdirt
04-26-2007, 12:01 PM
He clobbered a 98 mph heater on an 0-2 pitch from Broxton lastnight in L.A.

That sounds like Broxtons problem. Why would you throw a 98 MPH fastball on an 0-2 count? Throw something in the dirt or off the plate. Isnt that rule #1 in pitching.... dont throw it near the plate on 0-2? I was always taught that as a pitcher.

TeamSelig
04-26-2007, 12:02 PM
Do steroids make your head grow or is that HGH?

Anyone think baseball is covering for Bonds?

paulrichjr
04-26-2007, 12:06 PM
http://www.baseballmusings.com/

I have no clue what the long-term effects of HGH and steriods are but wouldn't it seem likely that if you had been able to expand your feet and head and other parts of your body that some of the effects of using these enhancers never really go away? I mean if his feet actually grew 2 or 3 sizes like some have reported then do they just shrink after you get off of the stuff? I would think not. This would lead me to believe that some of the effects to your body never go away. Anyone know?

jojo
04-26-2007, 12:14 PM
Lonnie is a definately an original..... who would've ever thought up that idea for a column? He must be one of the hardest working, most creative sportswriters covering baseball these days... I mean slamming Bonds? Thats thinking outside the box...

All snarkiness aside, this (http://www.redszone.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1314210&postcount=17) explains where I'm coming from... I mean Lonnie's topic has to be like item 121 on a list of things he could've written about concerning baseball...

Jr's Boy
04-26-2007, 12:16 PM
That sounds like Broxtons problem. Why would you throw a 98 MPH fastball on an 0-2 count? Throw something in the dirt or off the plate. Isnt that rule #1 in pitching.... dont throw it near the plate on 0-2? I was always taught that as a pitcher.

My point is Doug,a 43 year old man with that good of vision.I agree with Vin Scully as he described his approach from one AB to the next, and I quote ''Like him or not the man can flat out hit''.

Goten
04-27-2007, 12:26 AM
I have no clue what the long-term effects of HGH and steriods are but wouldn't it seem likely that if you had been able to expand your feet and head and other parts of your body that some of the effects of using these enhancers never really go away? I mean if his feet actually grew 2 or 3 sizes like some have reported then do they just shrink after you get off of the stuff? I would think not. This would lead me to believe that some of the effects to your body never go away. Anyone know?

HGH could indeed make your hands and feet grow, but that doesn't mean it correlates with performance enhancement.

It's not a performance enhancer, it's a performance enabler. The fact that people keep lumping this in with steroids is completely laughable.

sonny
04-27-2007, 03:49 AM
I just cants stand the man (Bonds). However, I doubt steroids, HGH or some flax seed oil would improve his bat speed, concentration, pitch selectivness, footwork, eyesight, hand-eye coordination and all the other things that encompass a good hitter.

I sure Don't want him to break the record, not because he's a cheater, because I don't know if he had that great of an advantage, but because he's baseballs greatest ******bag.

RFS62
04-27-2007, 06:59 AM
The odds of Bonds stopping short of Aaron's record are about the same as the odds of him sprouting wings and flying off into the sunset.

Goten
04-27-2007, 06:58 PM
I just cants stand the man (Bonds). However, I doubt steroids, HGH or some flax seed oil would improve his bat speed, concentration, pitch selectivness, footwork, eyesight, hand-eye coordination and all the other things that encompass a good hitter.

I sure Don't want him to break the record, not because he's a cheater, because I don't know if he had that great of an advantage, but because he's baseballs greatest ******bag.

Steroids don't " increase batspeed ", but they allow you to accomplish things quicker. If you want more power, steroids will enable you to hit the gym twice as hard, thus getting stronger. They can also enable you to run faster, and throw with more velocity.

BurgervilleBuck
04-28-2007, 12:48 PM
I like my idea (http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1322394#post1322394) better. :D

I had an evil thought that I wish more teams pitching against Bonds would try: intentional walks. Sure, it's a hit to the stats but if folks really think this record is tainted or that Bonds isn't worthy, then why not just ensure he never gets another hit.

Phhhl
04-28-2007, 01:46 PM
Aren't the Giants competing for a western divistion title, and isn't Bonds the best hitter on that club? Wins are supposed to be the single most important stat in baseball. Even that record. I would prefer he not break the record, too. But, he obviously has quite a bit left in the tank. This is a stupid idea.

jojo
04-28-2007, 01:49 PM
Aren't the Giants competing for a western divistion title, and isn't Bonds the best hitter on that club? Wins are supposed to be the single most important stat in baseball. Even that record. I would prefer he not break the record, too. But, he obviously has quite a bit left in the tank. This is a stupid idea.

I bet the Dodgers and Padres think its a great idea..... :D

Chip R
04-28-2007, 10:54 PM
The odds of Bonds stopping short of Aaron's record are about the same as the odds of him sprouting wings and flying off into the sunset.

With all the stuff he has supposedly taken, that might just happen. ;)

George Foster
04-29-2007, 12:04 AM
Steroids don't " increase batspeed ", but they allow you to accomplish things quicker. If you want more power, steroids will enable you to hit the gym twice as hard, thus getting stronger. They can also enable you to run faster, and throw with more velocity.

If you are stronger, you can swing the bat faster...it does increase bat speed.

With that being said, he has been "off" of the roids for at least 2 years, and he can still catch up with a 98mph fastball.

Goten
04-29-2007, 12:10 AM
If you are stronger, you can swing the bat faster...it does increase bat speed.

With that being said, he has been "off" of the roids for at least 2 years, and he can still catch up with a 98mph fastball.

And you are stronger because steroids allow you to hit the gym harder, and longer...

You just don't inject them and your batspeed is increased, which is widely assumed.

George Foster
04-29-2007, 12:19 AM
And you are stronger because steroids allow you to hit the gym harder, and longer...

You just don't inject them and your batspeed is increased, which is widely assumed.

Oh I totally agree. But your making my point for me. Roids give you the "will" to hit the gym harder and longer, making you stronger thus increasing every aspect of your game....and hat size:D

Goten
04-29-2007, 07:08 PM
Oh I totally agree. But your making my point for me. Roids give you the "will" to hit the gym harder and longer, making you stronger thus increasing every aspect of your game....and hat size:D

Uh, your original point was they " increase batspeed ", and I'm pointing out that, no, they don't. They increase your workout time, thus enabling you to accomplish things quicker.

And hatsize increase is attributable to HGH, not steroids.

jojo
04-29-2007, 07:22 PM
Uh, your original point was they " increase batspeed ", and I'm pointing out that, no, they don't. They increase your workout time, thus enabling you to accomplish things quicker.

And hatsize increase is attributable to HGH, not steroids.

technically steroids reduce your recovery time and help increase muscle mass by doing several things simultaneously:

1. altering nitrogen balance in a way that directs nitrogen to muscle thus benefitting muscle growth (think N=amino acids; AA=proteins, protein buildup=muscle growth);

2. increasing protein synthesis

3. inhibiting protein breakdown