PDA

View Full Version : Broken Record Brennaman

Redlegs
04-26-2007, 04:42 PM
Anyone tired of hearing Marty say "They are what they are" ?

penantboundreds
04-26-2007, 04:44 PM
no, because the are, this team stinks...

Redlegs
04-26-2007, 04:45 PM

Do you have to hear Marty say that over and over to realize that? I don't. I think Marty's the best I've ever heard, but give it a rest for a minute.

reds44
04-26-2007, 04:47 PM
Marty is what he is.

reds44
04-26-2007, 04:50 PM
They are 10-12. If we rip off 5 in a row we'll be talking world series.

It's early.

Razor Shines
04-26-2007, 04:51 PM

It's early.

Well that's good to hear, it's a far cry from:

"Will they ever see .500 again?"

reds44
04-26-2007, 04:53 PM
Well that's good to hear, it's a far cry from:

"Will they ever see .500 again?"
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Yeah, I tend to overreact during games. It happens.

membengal
The whole thing is what it is.

Joseph

It's early.

Thats right, lets not forget the "Did we turn the corner" type threads after Tuesdays 10-3 win. 5 in a row and people will be clamoring for a Narron contract extension.

membengal
04-26-2007, 04:54 PM
Remind me, were they 17-8 last year before the wheels began to wobble? Were they what they were at that juncture?

It all is what it all is. Unless it isn't. Then it's something else.

dougdirt
04-26-2007, 04:56 PM
I just wish Marty would shut up about strikeouts.

Redlegs
04-26-2007, 04:57 PM
Ross and Eddie have killed this team offensively. Once they come around, it'll obviously make a big difference in the team's performance against left handed pitching. The bullpen is another story entirely.

It's bad enough when the team's scuffling, then Marty uses that "they are what they are" crap and it just erks me. I'm tired of hearing Thom constantly play manager from the booth too, but that's probably just me for the moment. I hate losing. :thumbdown

reds44
04-26-2007, 04:59 PM
Also, how is a guy who has created over 200 runs the last 3 years not a run producer?

I'm seriously going to call in and ask Marty who on the Reds is a run producer if Adam Dunn isn't.

200+ runs=producing runs. Lots of them.

Roy Tucker
04-26-2007, 05:01 PM
Marty is what he is.

I yam what I yam and that's all I yam

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/7/7a/Popeye-comic-book-cover.jpg/200px-Popeye-comic-book-cover.jpg

KYRed
04-26-2007, 05:02 PM
Throw me in the camp of not asking for a Narron extention, even if we pulled off 10 in a row. While I hope we win everytime we go out there, I think the team can do better.

fearofpopvol1
04-26-2007, 05:02 PM
This thread (and title) sounds like a broken record. How many negative Marty threads have we had?

reds44
04-26-2007, 05:04 PM
This thread (and title) sounds like a broken record. How many negative Marty threads have we had?
People complaining about the negative Marty threads are starting to sound like a broken record.

:evil:

Ok, I'm done now.

Redlegs
04-26-2007, 05:05 PM
Good question. Research that and get back to us.

membengal
04-26-2007, 05:05 PM
11? It's one more than 10, you know.

Natty Redlocks
04-26-2007, 05:07 PM
I just wish Marty would shut up about strikeouts.

Me too; someone should tell him

1. The Reds are about the middle of the pack in the NL in strikeouts.

2. The Marlins lead the league in strikeouts. And runs scored.

Redlegs
04-26-2007, 05:09 PM
11? It's one more than 10, you know.
Good work, Santo.

Matt700wlw
04-26-2007, 05:51 PM
Anyone tired of hearing Marty say "They are what they are" ?

What else should he say?

He could sugar coat it, would that be better?

Matt700wlw
04-26-2007, 05:55 PM
Also, how is a guy who has created over 200 runs the last 3 years not a run producer?

I'm seriously going to call in and ask Marty who on the Reds is a run producer if Adam Dunn isn't.

I'm sure we'll have another rain delay between now and October....make the call (it can be tough to get through, but try early and often)

westofyou
04-26-2007, 05:55 PM
Does the Banana Phone look like this?

http://www.worth1000.com/entries/176500/176814bgIF_w.jpg

Matt700wlw
04-26-2007, 05:56 PM
Does the Banana Phone look like this?

http://www.worth1000.com/entries/176500/176814bgIF_w.jpg

A red "x?" No.

;)

guttle11
04-26-2007, 05:57 PM
If Marty and Thom sound like they are painful to listen to, it's probably because the Reds are painful to watch.

Raisor
04-26-2007, 06:13 PM
I honestly cannot listen to Marty anymore. Marty can't carry Skip Carry's lunchbox.

OldRightHander
04-26-2007, 07:04 PM
I wonder who the Banana Phone caller was today who mentioned that he was a SABR guy and tried to point out that strikeouts weren't the main problem. He was trying to mention that teams that strike out a lot score a lot of runs and Marty kind of brushed him off. Marty kept bringing up micro incidents like Ross striking out with a runner at third and one out and the caller was trying to say that you have to look at a larger sample. Did anyone else make a note of that call?

pedro
04-26-2007, 07:08 PM
I honestly cannot listen to Marty anymore. Marty can't carry Skip Carry's lunchbox.

I miss Skip. He always cracked me up. He's a really underrated announcer in my book. In fact, I like all those Atlanta announcers, with the exception of new addition Chip Carry. Don Sutton sure has been an improvement over Tom Paciorek in Washington too.

StillFunkyB
04-26-2007, 07:09 PM

WOW Raisor.... I think that might be taking it a bit too far.

I think this is the first time I have ever disagreed with anything you have posted here.

Spring~Fields
04-26-2007, 07:09 PM
I listened to him the last couple of games and he is starting to get imbalanced. To speak candid about poor play is one thing, rambling rants of overkill is another. At one point he was just about ragging on anyone, anything etc. He needs to balance it out, to measure some of his remarks.

StillFunkyB
04-26-2007, 07:10 PM
I miss Skip. He always cracked me up. He's a really underrated announcer in my book. In fact, I like all those Atlanta announcers, with the exception of new addition Chip Carry. Donn Sutton sure has been an improvement over Tom Paciorek in Washington too.

Whoops.... Sorry Raisor.... It was Chip that I was thinking of.

pedro
04-26-2007, 07:12 PM
Whoops.... Sorry Raisor.... It was Chip that I was thinking of.

yeah, now there's an announcer I think almost everybody would like to strangle.

Will
04-26-2007, 07:16 PM
How would you like to be a fly on the wall at the Brennaman Thanksgiving meal ?
Marty says " Well if maw had cooked the Turkey 3 minutes longer it would have been alot more tender and juicey".
Thom says " Well I've never cooked turkey, but I have been around it alot and maw really needs to take a look at herself and ask herself if she really wants to be here as our cook. It definately was not cooked long enough in my humble estimation".
Marty says " Well Thom, she is what she is and we'll just have to live with it".

redsmetz
04-26-2007, 07:34 PM
The whole thing is what it is.

Not to be esoteric or anything, but life is what it is. Plus, it's just a game - so many more important things that need attention. The Reds are a plus, a treat, but just a game.

Alas, alack.

Ltlabner
04-26-2007, 07:35 PM
I wonder who the Banana Phone caller was today who mentioned that he was a SABR guy and tried to point out that strikeouts weren't the main problem. He was trying to mention that teams that strike out a lot score a lot of runs and Marty kind of brushed him off. Marty kept bringing up micro incidents like Ross striking out with a runner at third and one out and the caller was trying to say that you have to look at a larger sample. Did anyone else make a note of that call?

Yea, I heard it and wondered if it was an RZ poster.

They started out strong, but when Marty pressed them they kinda lost steam, IMO. I would have been better for the caller to ask why strike outs with RISP are an offense against humanity and a ground out with RISP doesn't seem to get the same ire. As much as I am a Marty fan (shocking, I know) I would have loved to hear his answer to that one.

redsfanmia
04-26-2007, 07:54 PM
Marty is a bitter old hack who if he is as miserable as he sounds needs to retire to his precious golf. I honestly cant stand to listen to the broadcast anymore because of the constant negativity between the trio of Marty, Thom, and Cowboy.

REDREAD
04-26-2007, 09:08 PM
I was looking forward to Marty retiring in maybe 5 years or so.

Then Thom came on board, and Marty announced that he might never retire.

And I'm worried that Thom is going to be just like his Dad, and I won't be able to outlive his career at broadcasting the Reds... Thom seems a lot more Marty-like when he's with his dad..

cincrazy
04-26-2007, 09:14 PM
The new honesty displayed by the Reds broadcasting team is refreshing. When this team sucks, I want to hear it, and right now, this team isn't getting it done. It's very early, and I'm by no means writing them off, but they're just not getting the job done.

Then again, the lineup has had a lack of pop, and the bullpen has struggled, both of which most of us saw coming in spring training.

To quote the immortal Dennis Green, "They are what we thought they were!"

jojo
04-26-2007, 09:25 PM

The whole time Marty was ranting that Dunn is not a run producer and has no business batting cleanup I'm wondering to myself, alright, what better, more productive option do they have? Bad Dunn still managed 98 RC last season. The next closest total was 80 RC by Aurilia and he's living his dream in SF this year....

dougdirt
04-26-2007, 09:27 PM
The whole time Marty was ranting that Dunn is not a run producer and has no business batting cleanup I'm wondering to myself, alright, what better, more productive option do they have? Bad Dunn still managed 98 RC last season. The next closest total was 80 RC by Aurilia and he's living his dream in SF this year....

His solution to bat Dunn 7th killed me. Thats a way to utilize good OBP Marty.... bat him 7th!:bang:

cincrazy
04-26-2007, 09:27 PM
Right now, they don't have a better option, you're correct in that assumption. And that my friend is why this offense struggles, and why this team will have a hard time getting well over .500.

Dracodave
04-26-2007, 09:33 PM
Right now, they don't have a better option, you're correct in that assumption. And that my friend is why this offense struggles, and why this team will have a hard time getting well over .500.

Okay, if this team had a better option than Dunn, and we used him. We'd be well over 500?

Theres more than just Dunn on this team. Wheres the other batters? Did they just get left out. Dunn takes the slack for the entire team. Not to mention for all the defense too. Gonzo makes a error, and people swear "Dunn whispered to him that he should over throw the ball."

Everyone's hatred for Dunn kills me, it's coming from every angle and half of it just doesn't even make sense.

HUHUH
04-26-2007, 09:35 PM
I think its clear that with the additions of Thom and Brantley, Marty has let loose.

I respect Marty for telling it like it is. I think he's always tried to do this, and it's something we need to hear.

But this year? With Thom and Brantley egging him on, maybe he's gone overboard a bit.

MaineRed
04-26-2007, 09:52 PM
Marty is a miserable old hack who is only a good broadcaster when the Reds are playing well. When the Reds mail it in, so does Marty. He is about as unprofessionall as it gets.

The whole "I enjoy hearing it like it is" is a load of baloney as even George Grande will point out when the Reds are playing like dogs. He just doesn't beg us to change the channel like Marty (and Thom) do.

jojo
04-26-2007, 09:55 PM
Marty is a miserable old hack whose is only a good broadcaster when the Reds are playing well. When the Reds mail it in, so does Marty. He is about as unprofessionall as it gets.

This is a pretty compelling opinion....

Will
04-26-2007, 09:59 PM
Marty is a miserable old hack whose is only a good broadcaster when the Reds are playing well. When the Reds mail it in, so does Marty. He is about as unprofessionall as it gets.

The whole "I enjoy hearing it like it is" is a load of baloney as even George Grande will point out when the Reds are playing like dogs. He just doesn't beg us to change the channel like Marty (and Thom) do.

Amen :cool:

Ron Madden
04-26-2007, 09:59 PM
This is a pretty compelling opinion....

And one that I'm in full agreement with.

lo ryder
04-26-2007, 10:05 PM

This is a wild guess. Was it you?

mroby85
04-26-2007, 10:18 PM
Marty is the best announcer i've ever heard. the reason he sounds the same game after game, could be because there have been similar results game after game. it is unbelievable how unfundamentally sound this team is, i've never seen anything like it. and it was stated earlier that it doesn't need to be said by marty over and over, but that is his job, he's the analyst, or announcer, and is paid to call what he is seeing.

cincrazy
04-26-2007, 10:31 PM
I don't "hate" Dunn. Adam Dunn just isn't worth what he's paid. Adam Dunn isn't the best player on a good team. The Reds are trying to make Dunn that. It's not his fault. I'm just stating what I believe: Adam Dunn is too inconsistent to ever build around, and this franchise doesn't have the budget to keep him around and NOT build around him.

Fil3232
04-26-2007, 10:33 PM
Marty is a miserable old hack who is only a good broadcaster when the Reds are playing well. When the Reds mail it in, so does Marty. He is about as unprofessionall as it gets.

My sentiments exactly.

It's one thing to "tell it like it is," but I'm really tired of Marty telling it like it isn't.

flyer85
04-26-2007, 10:35 PM
Anyone tired of hearing Marty say "They are what they are" ?Nah, I don't hear it.

dougdirt
04-26-2007, 10:36 PM
My sentiments exactly.

It's one thing to "tell it like it is," but I'm really tired of Marty telling it like it isn't.

Yep and the part that really bothers me is that 90% of Reds fans take his word as gold and never question it.

George Foster
04-26-2007, 11:39 PM
I know it's only been 3 weeks but we have played a bunch of teams that are at .500 or below, except for the Brewers. What happens when we play the Braves, Mets, Dodgers, etc.? We have to beat the teams we are suppose to beat. These games are just as important as the games in August and September.

Our hitting has to improve and quick. We are 15 out of 16 teams in AVG. Only Houston is below us and they beat us 2 out of 2 games.

WVPacman
04-26-2007, 11:44 PM
Do you have to hear Marty say that over and over to realize that? I don't. I think Marty's the best I've ever heard, but give it a rest for a minute.

I agree 110% with you!!! Marty is the best ever that I have listened to.If you don't like Marty and his straight forward comments then you are'nt a true reds fan.MARTY IS THE MAN!!!

TC81190
04-26-2007, 11:47 PM
Yea, I heard it and wondered if it was an RZ poster.

They started out strong, but when Marty pressed them they kinda lost steam, IMO. I would have been better for the caller to ask why strike outs with RISP are an offense against humanity and a ground out with RISP doesn't seem to get the same ire. As much as I am a Marty fan (shocking, I know) I would have loved to hear his answer to that one.

A GO with RISP can move them over, or yknow, even score.

TC81190
04-26-2007, 11:49 PM

:rolleyes:

WVPacman
04-26-2007, 11:53 PM
I can't blame you if some of you don't like Marty b/c thats your opinion.I guess im just old fashion even if im only 32 lol.I always have liked marty and joe b/c they told the fans how the game was being played.They always told you if the team,players,or coachs was doing a great job or not and thats what I like about them.Thats just me!!

Ron Madden
04-26-2007, 11:53 PM
I agree 110% with you!!! Marty is the best ever that I have listened to.If you don't like Marty and his straight forward comments then you are'nt a true reds fan.MARTY IS THE MAN!!!

1. Nobody calls a game winning play better than Marty.

2. I don't like most of Martys straight foward comments.

3. I was a Reds Fan before Marty got here.

I quess I'm not a True Reds Fan because I often disagree with The Great Marty Brennaman.

WVPacman
04-26-2007, 11:59 PM
I can't blame you if some of you don't like Marty b/c thats your opinion.I guess im just old fashion even if im only 32 lol.I always have liked marty and joe b/c they told the fans how the game was being played.They always told you if the team,players,or coachs was doing a great job or not and thats what I like about them.Thats just me!!

Madden,thats why I wrote my last messege b/c I went a little over board with (your not a true reds fan) and I apolizise to everybody.Like I said in my last post its your opinion whether you like Marty or not.

George Anderson
04-27-2007, 12:02 AM
I know it's only been 3 weeks but we have played a bunch of teams that are at .500 or below, except for the Brewers. What happens when we play the Braves, Mets, Dodgers, etc.? We have to beat the teams we are suppose to beat. These games are just as important as the games in August and September.

Our hitting has to improve and quick. We are 15 out of 16 teams in AVG. Only Houston is below us and they beat us 2 out of 2 games.

I am just grateful we are in a lousy division. If we were in the same division as any of the three mentioned teams then it would look pretty bleak even though its only April.

The best part of the 2007 season so far is obviously the starting pitching. I think most will agree the hitting will eventually come around but the question is how much will it come around? That leaves our other big problem being the bullpen and unless Guardardo makes a quick return then I cant find much positive for the future of the bullpen. Even if there are no improvements to the bullpen, if the Reds can keep the starting pitching solid with quality hitting behind then then they have a shot to win the lousy Central Division. If the hitting doesnt come around and the bullpen is still substandard then it will be time very soon to focus on NFL training camps.

Yachtzee
04-27-2007, 12:03 AM
The Reds were here before Marty and they'll be here when he's gone.

Ron Madden
04-27-2007, 12:05 AM
Madden,thats why I wrote my last messege b/c I went a little over board with (your not a true reds fan) and I apolizise to everybody.Like I said in my last post its your opinion whether you like Marty or not.

No problem. :)

TeamBoone
04-27-2007, 12:05 AM

I truly take exception to that statement...

Hmmmmm, and just what makes him the know-all about whether or not someone is doing a great job? Just because he's been an announcer for a long time? That certainly does not qualify him as an expert... he's proven that many times. It's merely his opinion, and he doesn't tolerate other opinions, nor try to understand them even if they explain.

Will
04-27-2007, 12:11 AM

I think that it's not so much what Marty and Thom may be saying, as it is how they come across saying it. The condescending distainful manner in which they state their opinions really wears thin. You can give your views without sounding mean spirited or nasty.

jimbo
04-27-2007, 12:12 AM
I have to say, I have been an avid supporter of Marty in these Marty bash threads, but I also admit I have not listened to him much because I always watch the games on tv. Well today I did and I now I can understand some of the criticisms that have been thrown his way. I still love Marty, but some of his bitterness has to go.

Having said that, why is it when this board finds a target there has to be daily bash threads multiple pages long? Why not say your peace and move on? Beating a dead horse on a daily basis hurts the overall quality of the forum, IMO.

jimbo
04-27-2007, 12:13 AM
I think that it's not so much what Marty and Thom may be saying, as it is how they come across saying it. The condescending distainful manner in which they state their opinions really wears thin. You can give your views without sounding mean spirited or nasty.

A lesson that many here need to learn.

George Anderson
04-27-2007, 12:18 AM

I like both Marty and Thom but they come across as using way to much drama when chastizing the Reds. Its gonna sound corny but when Thom gets off on one of his tangents against the Reds he reminds me of how squirley Burt Ward who played Robin the old Batman series would get. Take a chill pill and relax Boy Wonder!!!

WVPacman
04-27-2007, 12:24 AM

Ah myself I have no problem with the way he talks but thats just my opinion.

I truly take exception to that statement...

TB,I know you don't like Marty and thats your opinion,I apolizised to everybody on the board for the you are'nt a true reds fan comment.Everybody makes mistakes and I mayed one.

pedro
04-27-2007, 12:43 AM
Marty at his best is a very good announcer. Marty at his worst is not. And I'm not hearing a lot of his best over the last few years. It happens from time to time, but not enough to make it worth listening to the bile anymore. TMO anyway.

Billy_Bearcat
04-27-2007, 12:57 AM
Marty has been announcing close to 162 games every year for the past 11 seasons of no playoff baseball...that might cause a little bitterness to show through ;)

As for this being a love or hate marty thread...put me in the HOFer's corner.

mroby85
04-27-2007, 01:45 AM
the threads bashing marty have become kind of "broken record"

dougdirt
04-27-2007, 01:47 AM
the threads bashing marty have become kind of "broken record"

just like him saying stupid things.... he says stupid things, we get on him about it. Its all cyclical.

jhiller21
04-27-2007, 02:49 AM
Redszone.com: "Vin Scully or bust!"

savafan
04-27-2007, 03:21 AM
Marty has been announcing close to 162 games every year for the past 11 seasons of no playoff baseball...that might cause a little bitterness to show through ;)

As for this being a love or hate marty thread...put me in the HOFer's corner.

It certainly has brought the bitterness out on Redszone.

sonny
04-27-2007, 03:40 AM
Having said that, why is it when this board finds a target there has to be daily bash threads multiple pages long? Why not say your peace and move on? Beating a dead horse on a daily basis hurts the overall quality of the forum, IMO.

Well said. I doubt anyone here is going to change another's mind by multiple postings of the same thing. We all have our opinion, and its good to let it be aired. But doesn't Marty have that same opportunity?

jojo
04-27-2007, 07:07 AM
A GO with RISP can move them over, or yknow, even score.

Or a GO can like completely kill a rally with a DP like happened to the Cards a couple of times yesterday, yknow....

:D

MaineRed
04-27-2007, 07:52 AM

Did Ernie Harwell get this bitter announcing for all those bad Detroit teams in the 90s? Did Haray Caray get this bitter? Was Skip Caray this bitter in the 80s calling games on TBS for the basement dwelling Braves?

Announcers are supposed to do a good job no matter what is happening on the field. Marty uses bad play by the Reds to get up on a soapbox and then begins to mail it in. Sorry, but we can't blame Marty's bad announcing on bad play. His job isn't affected by what happens on the field. At least it is not supposed to be.

minus5
04-27-2007, 08:10 AM
Did Haray Caray get this bitter?

Harry was too drunk to be bitter :beerme:

Ltlabner
04-27-2007, 08:27 AM

Rule 5 of the forum only applies to players ya know. Oh, and players who fall outside RZ's good graces are also exempted from the protections of rule 5. Lastly, any trades that are not approved of by RZ are also not protected by rule 5.

membengal
04-27-2007, 08:35 AM
I think you can't apply Rule 5 to a topic, only a particular poster's thoughts on a topic.

For instance, I have largely sat this one out, having weighed in on other Brennamen threads. Don't want to violate Rule 5. But you can't really banish a topic, no? Otherwise, the Dunn talk would disappear. And what a wonderful world, that would be...

bucksfan2
04-27-2007, 08:42 AM
I haven't read this whole discussion but here are my thoughts on Marty. He has become increasingly critical of the reds over the past few seasons. He also has developed some serious biases towards some players on this team which I think take away from his overall broadcasting skills. I like how he calls it the way he sees it and doesn't sugar coat anything but be a little more optimistic instead of pesimistic.

I think it is ironic that Marty lost it on Hamilton's inability to hit the cutoff man. It was probably the straw that broke the camels back but I realize that hamilton is a rookie and hasn't played much baseball in the past 5 years and realize that he is going to make those kinds of mistakes from time to time. Not to mention he made up for it by throwing the runner out at home and leading off the next inning with a double.

Yachtzee
04-27-2007, 09:01 AM
It certainly has brought the bitterness out on Redszone.

One reaps what they sow.

Chip R
04-27-2007, 10:53 AM

I think Marty needs to learn that lesson as well. I don't mind the criticism. If someone messes up, I don't want him to sugarcoat it. If someone makes an error, I want him to say he didn't get a good jump on it or the throw was high or in the dirt or wide. What I don't want is 5 minutes of ripping the player and the manager for the error. It seems to me that is just an ego out of control. When I go to a game, if someone makes an error or strikes out, I don't go on and on about it for 5 minutes so all the people around me kmow how I feel. And it doesn't have to be George or Marty as far as styles go. There can be a happy medium.

George Anderson
04-27-2007, 11:01 AM
It seems to me anyway that Marty has developed a bit of an attitude since he was inducted into the Hall of Fame. I know Pre Hall of Fame Marty was famous for telling it how it is but I just think his ego was boosted bigger than it already was and thus has changed the way he broadcasts. Having said all this I like Marty but he needs to criticize what needs to be criticized and then drop it.

jimbo
04-27-2007, 01:06 PM
Rule 5 of the forum only applies to players ya know. Oh, and players who fall outside RZ's good graces are also exempted from the protections of rule 5. Lastly, any trades that are not approved of by RZ are also not protected by rule 5.

Thanks for the clarification. :thumbup:

biggergipper
04-27-2007, 05:22 PM
I think Marty calls the game the way "he" sees it (strikeouts = bad, OBP means nothing, the teams that play the right way win).

I noticed during the extra inning game against the Phillies he started to moan to Cowboy about Phillips lack of plate discipline when BP went down two quick strikes to Gordon about the Reds never learning and why didn't he take a pitch after the two previous walks, but I sure didn't hear him change his tune when BP had the game winning basehit in that same at bat or comment on how he was wrong.

As a Chicago resident, which many board members are I have to admit that I cringe when I listen to Ron "The Definition of Homer" Santo, however it is kind of fun to hear someone openly pulling for the team in the booth. I don't wish Marty was by any stretch Ron, but a little positivity occasionally would make the game more enjoyable to listen to. I listen to be entertained and have a good time, Marty announces like the job is a death sentence. Even if the other person in the booth just afforded some Homerisms every once in a while it might make the whole game seem more 'fun', which is one of the main reasons I listen.

Personally Marty just takes a lot of the joy out of listening because of his negativity. It's the third week of the season for goodness sake.

Chip R
04-27-2007, 06:02 PM
As a Chicago resident, which many board members are I have to admit that I cringe when I listen to Ron "The Definition of Homer" Santo, however it is kind of fun to hear someone openly pulling for the team in the booth. I don't wish Marty was by any stretch Ron, but a little positivity occasionally would make the game more enjoyable to listen to. I listen to be entertained and have a good time, Marty announces like the job is a death sentence. Even if the other person in the booth just afforded some Homerisms every once in a while it might make the whole game seem more 'fun', which is one of the main reasons I listen.

I used to listen to the Cubs when they were playing the Reds when I lived in Iowa. There usually was an affiliate in the area and if there wasn't I could pull in WGN more often than not. Santo's openly rooting for the Cubs never bothered me, It was his - and others - dismissal of the opposition that always ticked me off. Harry Carey wasn't like that. He gave respect where respect was due. Almost every time Barry Lakin would come up to the plate, Harry would say with fear in his voice, "There's that man again" just dreading the fact that he's going to do something to beat them again. Of course there's a difference between a healthy respect and George Grande Cardinal man-love. I don't want Marty slobbering all over the Reds players and the opposition. But I don't want him ripping the hell out of them either. I don't know about anyone else but it doesn't make me feel better when Marty rips the Reds after they do something wrong. It doesn't add to my entertainment value. I don't want him to stop being critical but I wish he would lighten up.

jmac
04-27-2007, 06:23 PM
Personally Marty just takes a lot of the joy out of listening because of his negativity. It's the third week of the season for goodness sake.

I think you make a good point here. marty is usually like this around the "dog days of august" but not this early.
If a guy makes a bad throw...I want to know it was a bad throw but dont keep going on and on about it. Marty doesnt have to rip a player. After he describes the action, us Zoners will do that.:D