PDA

View Full Version : WEHT Brian Reith?

savafan
04-27-2007, 02:16 AM
http://www.c-n.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070427/SPORTS05/704270385

By RYAN DUNLEAVY
Staff Writer

LAKELAND, Fla. -- As he sifted through some old baseball memorabilia this winter, pitcher Brian Reith accidentally stumbled across an old photograph that might have changed some bad karma.

Reith was a free agent coming off two injury-plagued seasons and shoulder surgery when he found the photo of him and then-teammate Brett Jodie at the 2000 Florida State League All-Star game.

The two all-star pitchers for the Single-A Tampa Yankees were friends with neighboring lockers but lost touch when Reith was dealt to the Cincinnati Reds on July 12, 2000, as part of the trade that brought Denny Neagle to the Bronx.

Not too long after that chance discovery, Reith received a surprising phone call and job offer from Jodie, who is the Somerset Patriots' pitching coach and director of player procurement.

"We kind of it hit it off right away," Jodie said remembering the 2000 season. "He was very likeable, very humble and he had great stuff. He's a guy you want on your team."

So Jodie added Reith to his team and started the 29-year-old right-hander Thursday in the spring training opener. Reith allowed three runs -- all on a home run by former Patriot Tommy Rojas -- in two innings during a 6-1 loss to the Bridgeport Bluefish.

Jodie liked Reith's velocity and competitiveness, but just as Reith's shoulder started feeling strong again, there now is concern that a blister on his toe might cause him to miss time.

The extent of the blister was not known Thursday.

"I feel good, pretty close to where I want to be," he said. "Everything is starting to come back together. It was tough sitting at home, but it feels like home being home out there (on the mound)."

Reith was just 22 when he was traded and just 23 the following May when the Reds called him up to the majors without any Triple-A experience.

The popular sentiment on the Reds' Internet message boards was that Reith was rushed to the majors and the lumps he took stunted his progression.

"A lot of people tell me I was rushed, but I was excited," Reith said. "It was the best time of my life. I struggled a little bit, but I was on top of the world."

Reith was 0-7 in nine games -- including eight starts -- for a team that finished the 2001 season 66-96.

"I put a lot of pressure on myself," Reith said. "I thought I needed to. There was a lot of talk that the team needed someone to go turn it around and, for some reason, I thought that should be me."

He made one Triple-A start in the midst of his major-league stint and eventually was shipped back to Double-A, where he admittedly was not the same pitcher that quickly rose through the organization.

Reith's confidence had been shaken, and he was coming out of the bullpen by the time he returned to the majors with the 2003 Reds. He split the 2003-04 seasons between the majors and Triple-A before signing with the Pittsburgh Pirates as a free agent.

"In the 2004 season, I kind of feel like they didn't give me a fair shake at it," Reith said. "I always felt like I was looking over my shoulder. I don't know if that was the vibe they were giving me or if it was in my head."

Reith pitched at Triple-A in 2005 but was hurt most of the season and needed off-season shoulder surgery, which required a full year of rehab. The surgery made Reith virtually untouchable in the eyes of major-league organizations, but he believe it might help rid him of the "inconsistent" label following him around.

"I've had to work on things with my mechanics," Reith said.

Reith struggled with his pitch location Thursday, but generally that is the last thing to return to a pitcher that has missed extensive time.

"A guy like him, I don't know if we would have had the opportunity to sign him except for that he's coming back to show he's healthy," Jodie said. "I think he is that good."

MikeS21
04-27-2007, 07:04 AM
http://www.c-n.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070427/SPORTS05/704270385

The popular sentiment on the Reds' Internet message boards was that Reith was rushed to the majors and the lumps he took stunted his progression.

I wonder if he is talking about RedsZone? :thumbup:

paintmered
04-27-2007, 09:30 AM
I wonder if he is talking about RedsZone? :thumbup:

"Reith was rushed" is the prevalent thought at Redszone. It even helped inspire a number of pithy sayings such as "Challenge thy hitters, coddle thy pitchers."

Roy Tucker
04-27-2007, 10:55 AM
"Reith was rushed" is the prevalent thought at Redszone. It even helped inspire a number of pithy sayings such as "Challenge thy hitters, coddle thy pitchers."

And "reithed" to become a verb.

registerthis
04-27-2007, 10:58 AM
And "reithed" to become a verb.

As in "I Reithed to work this morning."

Jr's Boy
04-27-2007, 12:37 PM
Weht?

Always Red
04-27-2007, 12:44 PM
Weht?

what ever happened to...

bucksfan
04-27-2007, 12:49 PM
what ever happened to...

Thank you!!! I was always trying to fit that into some version of "Where are they now?" (without success I might add - I just understood that these posts always were on that same topic!)

KronoRed
04-27-2007, 12:49 PM

Never used it like that before, neat idea :D

TOBTTReds
04-27-2007, 12:52 PM
I think Phil Hughes might be getting Reithed

KittyDuran
04-27-2007, 12:56 PM
See last post...

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56921

KittyDuran
04-27-2007, 12:59 PM
http://www.somersetpatriots.com/roster/players/index.html?player_id=67

#0 Brian Reith, P Active
Position: P
Date of Birth: 02/28/1978
Height: 6' 5" Weight: 220 lbs
Bats: R
Throws: R
Resides: Ft. Wayne, IN

Biography:

Reith has Major League experience with the Cincinnati Reds in parts of the 2001, 2003, and 2004 seasons. He pitched in 127.2 innings and recorded 85 strikeouts in 73 Major League games for the Reds.

In addition to his Major League time, Reith has five seasons of Triple-A experience with the Reds, Philadelphia Phillies, and Pittsburgh Pirates organizations.

Reith has a minor league career record of 54-52 with a 3.65 ERA, and 723 strikeouts in 888 innings pitched in 208 games.

Reith last played during the 2005 season, where he played in 24 games at Indianapolis, the Triple-A affiliate of the Pirates.

Always Red
04-27-2007, 01:34 PM

as in "I had some White Castle's and had to Reith to the men's room..." ;)

registerthis
04-27-2007, 01:41 PM
as in "I had some White Castle's and had to Reith to the men's room..." ;)

:barf:

Caveat Emperor
04-27-2007, 03:19 PM

Brian Reith was/is the best living example from recent Reds memory that there is more to pitching than velocity, location, and stuff.

Its why I'm completely satisfied with Homer Bailey pitching a full season of AAA ball this year.