PDA

View Full Version : Location and red's fans

jmac
04-27-2007, 02:26 PM
I always look at things under the person's name such as location.
I have noticed some fans from California, Philly, Chicago etc.
Just wondering about all you fans from other states.
were you originally from cincy area or if not....how did you become reds fans?

Myself...from KY where reds are closer than say cardinals. I really became a reds fan in 79 with George Foster my main player. My brother already married at time developed an attachment to Atl because he could get so many games on TBS.

So basically just wondering about your connection to reds with an out of state location. People from KY can chime in too.

RedsManRick
04-27-2007, 02:34 PM
Born in Columbus in 1982. Moved to Dayton in 1988. Moved to State College, PA the summer of 1990. Putting up with my new 3rd grade comprades during the NLCS, all of whom were Pirates fans steeled my resolve. By that time Larkin had hero status (little league SS myself) so I was good to go. Subsequent stops in Minneapolis (Twins), Madison, WI (Brewers), and now Chicago (Cubs/Sox) has simply made me more of a Reds fan.

It's funny going to a game in Cincinnati and having this feeling that most of the people around you aren't "real" Reds fans. When you mostly see a team on the road, you know the fans who show up are true fans, and not bandwagoners or simply out for a beer and socializing.

MaineRed
04-27-2007, 02:40 PM
For me it was Pete Rose I guess. He was at the tail end of his career when I was a kid but he drew me to the Reds for some reason. Soon after Eric Davis became my favorite player and then in no time he helped the Reds win the World Series. I was 15 and I'll never forget it. My room was plastered with pictures from SI, including the cover with Joe Oliver "sweeping" across the plate. I'm sure I'd be here today even if the Reds never won that Series but the 1990 Reds captured my heart forever and I only saw them play a few times before the play-offs rolled around. The play-offs were so intense. Paul O'Neil throwing that rocket to Sabo. Bill Bates. Glenn Braggs. The Nasty boys. Bill Hatcher's dominance. Jose Rijo.

I was about 25 before I was able to follow the Reds with anything more than the newspaper and Sportscenter. Now I watch about every game with MLB extra innings.

Only been to Cincy once. Went to 3 games a few years ago. I'd like to get back for another Taste of Cincinnati. They still do that I imagine?

nate
04-27-2007, 02:55 PM
It was the mid-70's when I became "baseball aware" as a wee lad growing up in the bustling metropolis of Huron, SD. The Reds were, of course, very good at that time but people in those parts are Twins fans. Of course, that wouldn't do for me because I always had to be different. My favorite color was red and I kept seeing this really good team on TV called the Reds so I decided that they would be my team. I even entered a Reds-themed drawing at the State Fair featuring a 9th-inning standoff between the Reds and the Twins. Pete was batting, the bases were loaded and the thought bubble I'd drawn on the Twins' pitcher read "I want my mommy!"

Even though my portrayal of events was distinctively "anti-homer", I won a blue ribbon. The rest is history!

EddieMilner
04-27-2007, 02:57 PM
I lived in Cincinnati from ages 2 through 10. Then my family moved to South Bend, IN. I kept following the reds.

44Magnum
04-27-2007, 03:05 PM
Huron, SD? Is that in the United States. :D

It was the mid-70's when I became "baseball aware" as a wee lad growing up in the bustling metropolis of Huron, SD. The Reds were, of course, very good at that time but people in those parts are Twins fans. Of course, that wouldn't do for me because I always had to be different. My favorite color was red and I kept seeing this really good team on TV called the Reds so I decided that they would be my team. I even entered a Reds-themed drawing at the State Fair featuring a 9th-inning standoff between the Reds and the Twins. Pete was batting, the bases were loaded and the thought bubble I'd drawn on the Twins' pitcher read "I want my mommy!"

Even though my portrayal of events was distinctively "anti-homer", I won a blue ribbon. The rest is history!

jmac
04-27-2007, 03:14 PM
and now Chicago (Cubs/Sox) has simply made me more of a Reds fan.

Love that comment :D

Unassisted
04-27-2007, 03:19 PM
I grew up in the Columbus area but haven't lived in Ohio for almost 20 years now. Everyone in my extended family was a Reds fan when I was a kid, so I am too.

foltza
04-27-2007, 03:21 PM
grew up in lima, oh, with the choice of reds, indians, or tigers. dad took me to reds games, i've always liked em since. (parenting lessson: don't let your kids become yankees fans, take them to cincinnati!!) didn't hurt they won the world series when i was in 3rd grade either.

i'm pretty excited to see the reds in san francisco, but not till sept., and they also are in oakland in june, and i'm going to la to see them too in a few weeks

Red in Chicago
04-27-2007, 03:29 PM
Never lived anywhere other than the Chicago area. Always been a Reds fan. I started watching baseball in the mid '70's, when the Big Red Machine was the team to beat. They were the best team, wore Red (my favorite color) and had Pete Rose. What more could a kid ask for;)

As a kid, I had been to several Cubs and Sox games, but never really felt connected with the teams. My dad lives and breathes Cubbie blue (poor guy) while most of the rest of the family likes the Sox.

Being a fan of an out of state team was never an easy thing. When they were playing well, you get accused of being on the bandwagon. When they were playing bad, you just get grief or made fun of.

I love the Reds...always have, always will...

SunDeck
04-27-2007, 03:50 PM
Transplanted west sider.

Krash
04-27-2007, 03:52 PM
From NW Ohio (Van Wert). Went to college at Marshall. Now live in Wilmington, NC. Always been a Red's fan. 27 years old.

UGADaddy
04-27-2007, 03:57 PM
My family is from Mason and I was born in Cincy. Lived in Norwood for two years before moving to Florida. Moved to Georgia nine years after that. Now just living the dream in Athens. The first baseball game I ever saw was at Riverfront and I'll be a Reds fan forever.

chettt
04-27-2007, 04:06 PM
I was a Chicago White Sox until I saw my first game at Crosley Field (1963). I saw a rookie second baseman named Pete Rose. I have been a Reds' fan ever since.

pedro
04-27-2007, 04:08 PM
I lived in Cincinnati from 1976-1982 and in Athens from 1986-1993.

Falls City Beer
04-27-2007, 04:10 PM
Cincinnati resident from 1966-1984.

NJReds
04-27-2007, 04:13 PM
My best friend growing up had roots in Cincinnati. Most of the neighborhood kids were Yankees fans. After the sweep in '76...I joined forces w/my buddy against the Bronx Zoo. Pete Rose and Johnny Bench were favorites.

KittyDuran
04-27-2007, 04:16 PM
For me it was Pete Rose I guess. He was at the tail end of his career when I was a kid but he drew me to the Reds for some reason. Soon after Eric Davis became my favorite player and then in no time he helped the Reds win the World Series. I was 15 and I'll never forget it. My room was plastered with pictures from SI, including the cover with Joe Oliver "sweeping" across the plate. I'm sure I'd be here today even if the Reds never won that Series but the 1990 Reds captured my heart forever and I only saw them play a few times before the play-offs rolled around. The play-offs were so intense. Paul O'Neil throwing that rocket to Sabo. Bill Bates. Glenn Braggs. The Nasty boys. Bill Hatcher's dominance. Jose Rijo.

I was about 25 before I was able to follow the Reds with anything more than the newspaper and Sportscenter. Now I watch about every game with MLB extra innings.

Only been to Cincy once. Went to 3 games a few years ago. I'd like to get back for another Taste of Cincinnati. They still do that I imagine?
http://www.taste-of-cincinnati.com/

westofyou
04-27-2007, 04:29 PM
I lived in Cincinnati from 1976-1982

I was in the room upstairs.

Degenerate39
04-27-2007, 05:03 PM
I'm from West Virginia but in my life I've probably been to 15-20 Reds games. I remember watching games when I was just a wee little one. I've still got a ticket stubb from a game that we went to in 93. So I was raised to be a Reds fan.

Will
04-27-2007, 05:05 PM
Lived in Cincy from birth to 14 years of age. Parents moved us to WV to be near family.

BCubb2003
04-27-2007, 05:11 PM
Grew up in Kentucky and Athens, Ohio. My mom bought me a Vada Pinson jersey, and that was the start of it.

RichRed
04-27-2007, 05:19 PM
Never lived outside Virginia until I was 28 but I've been a Reds fan since I was a kid in the mid-70s. Back then, we got one game a week on the ol' TV and I guess the Reds were on a lot so I took a liking to them. George Foster became my favorite player.

My brother and I used to listen to every game with Marty & Joe since the WLW signal made it all the way to Va. Beach, albeit not without some fierce static sometimes.

curedsfan
04-27-2007, 05:23 PM
I grew up in Ft. Thomas, Ky and lived there until I went to college in SC. My first job was as a vendor at Riverfront Stadium. I got to work the playoffs in 1995 which was awesome and I attended the first game of the 1990 WS vs the A's. I was born and raised a Reds fan for better or for worse. I have lived in 5 different cities since I graduated from Clemson in 2002 and have subscribed to the Extra Innings package every year so I can watch our squad. I now reside in the Lincoln Park neighborhood in Chicago Il, about 6 blocks south of Wrigley. I love that the Cubs suck. :D

TOBTTReds
04-27-2007, 05:25 PM
Lived in Cincy my whole life (22 years) til February. Out in Bethlehem, PA interning right now until Nov 1. Then it is back to job searching once the season is over. Then HOPEFULLY Cincinnati, but I think that is unlikely.

Jefferson24
04-27-2007, 05:28 PM
I've always lived in Illinois, CUB/CARD country. Never liked either of them because everyone else did. I kind of had to go my own way, do my own thing.

I remember watching Bench play toward the end of his career and became a Reds fan. Went to one game in Riverfront as a kid, I remember Nick Esasky hitting a grand slam, would of been 83 or 84 probably. I've been hooked since. I used to love to watch Eric Davis play when they played the Cubs because I could see some of those games on TV.

WLW would come in after 9:00 or so at night so I listend to alot of the late innings and extra innings show.

I now make one or two trips a year to catch a few games. It's a 6 hour drive so I can't go too often. Next trip is June 8 and 9 against Cleveland.

MississippiRed
04-27-2007, 05:35 PM
Definitely Johnny Bench for me. He was ROY in '68, I was a 5-year-old wannabe catcher. (I did catch for the next 15 years.) Easy choice. I spent a year in Ohio at OSU getting my M.S. Got to see a few games then. Otherwise it's the Reds at the Braves.

jmcclain19
04-28-2007, 01:16 AM
I was born outside of Cincy - my parents moved west to Arizona when I was young but the rest of the family remained. Every summer we'd make a trip back and my grandmother would take me to Reds games. Certainly was weird to grow up in a city where everyone was either a Dodgers/Padres (Location), Cubs (Spring Training) or Giants (AAA club in town) fan feeling that I was the only Reds fan within a million miles. I was probably the only kid in my district who'd show up to school sporting an Eric Davis kids jersey.

Eric_Davis
04-28-2007, 03:13 PM
I was in the room upstairs.

I was in the basement.

T7-niner
04-28-2007, 03:54 PM
I grew up in Martinsville, IN, about 30 minutes south of Indianapolis. My father was a big Reds fan. Growing up we didn't have the money to attend many games and only saw a few on TV. Dad passed away in '95 and the last conversation we had was about the game the two days prior, a 8-0 win over the Dodgers on July 9th.

I'll never be able to cheer for another team...The Reds, to me, are an extension of my childhood and my Dad.

LincolnparkRed
04-28-2007, 04:26 PM
Grew up in Centerville OH, moved to Bloomington for school and now married with kids in cub land. No desire to convert

By the way Centerville elks football rules!!!

SunDeck
04-28-2007, 04:28 PM
I grew up in Martinsville, IN, about 30 minutes south of Indianapolis. My father was a big Reds fan. Growing up we didn't have the money to attend many games and only saw a few on TV. Dad passed away in '95 and the last conversation we had was about the game the two days prior, a 8-0 win over the Dodgers on July 9th.

I'll never be able to cheer for another team...The Reds, to me, are an extension of my childhood and my Dad.

Were there a bunch of Cards fans up there? Bloomington has loads of them and I can't figure that out- it's twice as far from here as Cincinnati.

T7-niner
04-28-2007, 04:43 PM
Were there a bunch of Cards fans up there? Bloomington has loads of them and I can't figure that out- it's twice as far from here as Cincinnati.

Man...They were everywhere!

I live in Bloomington too. I moved to Bloomington to attend IU, now I don't want to leave....It's hard to leave Tree City USA.

One of my best friends is a Cardinal fan. I like to tell the that they should be proud...The '06 Cardinals were the worst team in history to win the WS.

Cue WOY to correct me.

jmac
04-28-2007, 05:14 PM
The '06 Cardinals were the worst team in history to win the WS.

Hopefully till this year !:jump:

Go Reds !!

Marc D
04-28-2007, 05:33 PM
Born in SW Ohio, lived there from 71-80 always came back home on school breaks, leave from the military etc. Picked my teams as a youngster and am not the type to convert because I live somewhere else.

Ohio is home, Go Reds, Go Bucks!

durl
04-28-2007, 11:09 PM
I was born in Cincy. My family moved to southern KY when I was still pretty young. This was back in the day when there was only one game on TV every week, but a local AM station carried Reds games so when I got old enough to enjoy baseball I could hear every game.

My earliest recollections of baseball are hearing Joe and Marty call games for the Big Red Machine in the early-mid 70s. Honestly, I don't know how ANY kid can grow up during that era, hearing the games on the radio, and NOT be a Reds fan for the rest of his life.

CRedsLarkin11
04-29-2007, 12:57 AM
Grew up in Tennessee where there is no major league ball. Inherited the Reds from my dad and his brothers, been making trips to Cincy to watch the Reds since I was little. The rest, they say, is history

robmadden1
04-29-2007, 01:11 AM
I was born in Cincy in '78 moved to Hudson, Ohio in '84 thats between Cleveland and Akron, Ohio in 89 Moved back to Cincy the year of the bad ice storm in October. In '92moved to Chagrin Falls, Ohio thats outside of Cleveland. I was at the opening for Jacobs Field the very first game ever played their my dad took me. In '97 moved to CT for 2 yrs to go to school. The in '99 Moved to Tulsa, Oklahoma in 2001 moved back to Cincy to live with my mom. I have not left Cincy ever since. I have alwaays been a reds fan even when I lived in the Indians territory.

KoryMac5
04-29-2007, 03:03 AM
I grew up in Pennsylvania, my dad loved Dodger blue and my brother was a Phillies fan. My favorite color is Red so it was an easy choice to see who I was going to root for.

Mr.MojoRisin
04-29-2007, 06:51 PM
My father and all of his brothers and sisters were born and raised in Cincy, my brother was born there, my aunts and uncles and grandmother still live there. I lived there when I was younger (around 78-84 I belive) Moved to Knoxville TN and lived there for about 20 years, got married and moved to Kentucky where I get FSN Ohio and can actually watch the games.

Redus
04-29-2007, 09:55 PM
I live in Albion Ny. A small town in Upstate. Well my first baseball recollection was watching The Reds vs Red Sox in the basement (why we had a tv down there I'll never know) with my father. He says "who do you like"?...I said "I like the Reds". That was the Fisk homerun game DOH! The rest is history!

oneupper
04-29-2007, 10:07 PM
I've never been to Cincinnati. I was hoping to make it this year for the REDSZONE gathering.

I was living in Venezuela when the BRM came to be and that skinny SS (what was his name again?) was kind of popular down there.

SandyD
04-29-2007, 10:18 PM
Grew up in Tennessee where there is no major league ball. Inherited the Reds from my dad and his brothers, been making trips to Cincy to watch the Reds since I was little. The rest, they say, is history

Moved to Union City TN in 1970. I was 12. I loved to play around with the radio dial at that time, and I discovered WLW and the Reds.

Moved back to Louisiana in 1976, but remained a Reds fan.

halmorris
04-29-2007, 10:50 PM
Grew up on the west side. Stationed overseas through the years... Reading the Reds box score every day is one of the best parts of my day.

danwl
04-29-2007, 10:54 PM
I call Albuquerque home now (originally moved here in 1982 as a kid when USAF dad transferred to Kirtland AFB here), but dad was stationed at Wright-Patterson AFB near Dayton from 1977-80. Lived in Beavercreek, OH (go Beavers!). In 1975, one of the few US things I got to watch on TV in Taiwan was the World Series.

jmac
04-29-2007, 10:59 PM
Thanks for all your participation.We all should feel like we know each other better after all this.

Trace's Daddy
04-29-2007, 11:09 PM
Always have lived in Virginia. I guess I became a fan at age 13 during the 1990 season - always enjoyed playing baseball, but I never really paid attention to MLB until then.

foxfire123
04-30-2007, 10:43 AM
I didn't grow up a baseball fan--we were into horses and car racing in our family. :)

But I married a Reds fan and he converted me into a baseball fan. I corrupted him into a NASCAR fan so we're even. :thumbup:

We lived in Ohio until 1994, then moved to Missouri <blech> due to a job transfer. Live just outside of St Louis right now and because of the saturation of Cardinals fans/stuff/coverage have developed a hatred of them that grows exponentially every time they play the Reds.

foxfire123
04-30-2007, 10:46 AM
I've never been to Cincinnati. I was hoping to make it this year for the REDSZONE gathering.

I was living in Venezuela when the BRM came to be and that skinny SS (what was his name again?) was kind of popular down there.

When is the Redzone gathering? Hubby and I will be in Cinci in September... :)

deltachi8
04-30-2007, 10:53 AM
I grewup in the 70's-80's and was a ctacher. Who better than to model myself after as a catcher than Johnny Bench.

dabvu2498
04-30-2007, 10:57 AM
Spent nearly all my life in either rural western KY or rural SWO (there's still some left). Both sides of my parents' families were Reds fans.

I was born the evening after the Reds beat the Pirates in game 2 of the 1975 NLCS.

oneupper
04-30-2007, 11:05 AM
When is the Redzone gathering? Hubby and I will be in Cinci in September... :)

June 15-17. Check this thread for details...

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54680

IowaRed
04-30-2007, 11:13 AM
Born/raised/and will probably die in Cedar Rapids IA. My brother was an Orioles fan in the summer of 1970, I was 6. Saw the Reds/Orioles WS on TV and became interested but didn't become a big Reds fan until 1972 and am still pained by Joe Rudi's catch. Shortly after that I found WLW on the radio and spent many nights, when the weather allowed, during the 70's and 80's listening to them on radio. By '75 and '76 I was completely hooked and have been ever since. I spend a lot of time here following the Reds but during the games my wife has become just as big a fan, which I really enjoy. Although it just isn't the same for her without Casey. My 4-year-old son likes the Pirates because, well, he likes pirates.

coachw513
04-30-2007, 11:56 AM
Born in Dayton, though didn't become a sports fan until I'd moved to Florida and was 7 years old...mom was a die-hard Reds fan, so that was good enough for me...though having the BRM didn't hurt either :thumbup:

Have lived in Florida since...nice during Spring Training, though...

Plus I'm contemplating seeing the Reds in both ATL and MIA in mid-July...gotta figure out how to get my wife to bless this activity :confused:

Stewie
04-30-2007, 02:23 PM
I'm the opposite of everyone, a Phillies fan originally from the Philadelphia area, but now living in Dayton.