PDA

View Full Version : Rumor: Torre possibly out Yankees skipper?

NJReds
04-28-2007, 11:25 AM
Seems as though King George has seen enough. The buzz in NY is that that unless the Yankees win the remaining two games v. the Red Sox, that Torre will be out. George has potential replacements on hand: Girardi in the YES Network broadcast booth, and Don Mattingly the current asst. manager.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/04282007/sports/yankees/joe_in_jeopardy_as_yanks_bomb_yankees_george_king. htm

In other news that should terrify Yankees fans, Jim Dolan (owner of MSG properties including the Rangers and Knicks) may make a pitch to buy the Yankees.

Joseph
04-28-2007, 11:29 AM
I like the last place Yankees much more than the front runners. Not that it's relevant to the this conversation.

If Torre hasn't earned the ability to ride out a rough stretch to start a season, then George should sell to Dolan and right now.

Sea Ray
04-28-2007, 11:38 AM
I would not be surprised to see Torre gone. I think this Yankee team is in serious trouble. Their pitching may very well be a downfall that leads them to sitting at home in Oct and I don't think Roger Clemens can right the ship. I think things will be ugly in the Bronx this summer

Always Red
04-28-2007, 11:40 AM
Is it Torre's fault this Yankees team has less pitching than the Reds?

Sea Ray
04-28-2007, 11:41 AM
Is it Torre's fault this Yankees team has less pitching than the Reds?

Absolutely not but that won't matter to King George

hebroncougar
04-28-2007, 11:44 AM
I would not be surprised to see Torre gone. I think this Yankee team is in serious trouble. Their pitching may very well be a downfall that leads them to sitting at home in Oct and I don't think Roger Clemens can right the ship. I think things will be ugly in the Bronx this summer

Agreed from the get go on the season on this one. Their pitching was bound to be atrocious, relying on Mussina and Pavano to be their 2 and 3 (or 1 and 2 depending on how you see Wang). They were bound to be injury prone, and the offense can only do so much. The Damon contract will continue to look more foolish the older he gets, Jeter and Arod will continue to be great hitters, Giambi's now to the point where his contract will look foolish, their bullpens is a mess. I really think NY is in for a loooooong season in the bronx. No starting pitcher has more that one win, and they don't have a save on their team yet.

Always Red
04-28-2007, 11:47 AM
Absolutely not but that won't matter to King George

Well, you're right, but if anyone's job should be in jeopardy over the state of the Yankees, it's got to be Cashman, who somehow can spend $200 million dollars and still have very little pitching except for Mariano Rivera.

Torre's had a great run there; he's not a great manager in my estimation, but he's had to deal with Steinbrenner all of these years, which is something not just anyone could do.

I'm sure Joe has had his fill of this situation as well, and if the end is soon, it'll be a relief of sorts. Although no one likes to be fired, or let a job go unfinished...

redsfan30
04-28-2007, 11:47 AM
Didn't take long for these rumors to start.

Pardon me, but I'll believe it when I see it.

Phhhl
04-28-2007, 11:57 AM
You gotta love it. The Yankees could be buried by mid-May.

blumj
04-28-2007, 12:09 PM
I'll believe THAT when I see it.

sonny
04-28-2007, 12:11 PM
Joe T has been on the hot seat since the first day they didn't win the World Series. Not buying it.

But if it is true, is it going to be Mattingly?

NJReds
04-28-2007, 12:14 PM
Joe T has been on the hot seat since the first day they didn't win the World Series. Not buying it.

But if it is true, is it going to be Mattingly?

Possibly Girardi.

Jr's Boy
04-28-2007, 12:15 PM
If the Reds had one tenth of the Yankees offense........

hebroncougar
04-28-2007, 12:15 PM

Even if they seem to be, will it be impossible to write them off until they are mathematically eliminated if you are say, the Red Sox?:confused:

UC_Ken
04-28-2007, 12:16 PM
If true I wouldn't mind Torre being the replacement for Narron.

I know he's had a lot of talent in NY but I think it takes an amazing man to put up with George for as long as he has.

I also think his wife is from Cincinnati.

BurgervilleBuck
04-28-2007, 12:34 PM
If true I wouldn't mind Torre being the replacement for Narron.

I know he's had a lot of talent in NY but I think it takes an amazing man to put up with George for as long as he has.

I also think his wife is from Cincinnati.

Can't happen. Won't happen.

Reds4Life
04-28-2007, 12:40 PM
This "rumor" comes up every time the Yanks hit a bad patch, it's used so often nobody pays attention anymore.

BurgervilleBuck
04-28-2007, 12:42 PM
This "rumor" comes up every time the Yanks hit a bad patch, it's used so often nobody pays attention anymore.
Yup. Check out the Similar Threads box at the bottom of this page.

2001MUgrad
04-28-2007, 12:43 PM
Its no more Torre's fault the Yankees are losing as it was Dave Miley's when he was given a "chance."