PDA

View Full Version : Griffey on steroids (From another Message Board)

Degenerate39
04-29-2007, 07:33 PM
I saw this on another message board and thought I'd share it with everyone else.

OK people I know a lot of you gonna go off the deep end becau you worship the gound Griffey trots on but I been doing a little digging this morning on medical sites and Im convinced Griffey is either currently on steroids or has been heavy user in the past. First off, dont give me crap about how he not all muscular becau plenty of steroid users dont get all overly muscular.

From what I can tell steroid users start having weakend bones after years of use, which would help explain Griffey fragile bones to the point he cant even play with his daughter without breaking a bone not to mention his numerous other bone issues. Steroid use over time also stiffens and weakens tendons and ligaments which would explain some of Griffeys other injuries as well. But heres the kicker: steroid users have big time increased risk of getting diverticulitis, especially among younger considering generally older people the ones who get this condition. Pleurisy a condition which is big time rare in helathy 30 something year old except for people who have weakened immune systemm and sterodis very well known to destroy immune system over time and can lead to respiratory issues.

If you look at Griffeys medical/unjury history its pretty consistent with symotoms from designer steroids. There all sorts of steroids out there that have different effects on different people and Griffey the poster child for some of these. I doubt he still taking them since symptoms usuallyu occur down the road from when they were taken so he probvably took them in the 90s and early 2000s and thats when he startted deterioarating physically skillwise was in early 2000s. Steroids have been catching up with him and it time for him to pay the piper. Steroids also end up creating longterm mood swings and irritability which could explain his jeckyll/hyde personality as well. Man oh man, this is ashamed if he on steroids and I think there quite a bit pointing to him using steroids at least in the past if not even currently.

This has got to be the dumbest man on the face of the world.

KronoRed
04-29-2007, 07:35 PM
I bet you money that guy is a regular banana phone caller.

Screwball
04-29-2007, 07:36 PM
Ah, esaskywhirl strikes again. He's always good for a laugh.

Degenerate39
04-29-2007, 07:38 PM
Heres the link just in case you want to see the responses:

http://frontier.cincinnati.com/messageboards/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11266&n=TalkRedsbaseball

IowaRed
04-29-2007, 07:40 PM
whether any of that is valid or not I have no idea, but until I see it written using something close to proper grammar, I'm not going to waste any more time on it

jimbo
04-29-2007, 07:44 PM

:laugh: That definitely sounds like his work.

Seriously though, that board is a complete joke. There are a few on there who are good and knowledgable posters, but the garbage of esaskywhirl and a few others drowns them out. I used to post on there last year but ever since I found RedsZone I've never been back.

Blimpie
04-29-2007, 07:45 PM
I beleeve that poster has a weekend mental staitus...

paintmered
04-29-2007, 07:46 PM
I am suddenly reminded why I left cincy.com in 2001.

Big Klu
04-29-2007, 07:54 PM
I was at all three games in Pittsburgh this weekend. A lot of the Pirates fans sitting around me noticed that I was a Reds fan, and they would ask me about the team. (I also talked with them about the Bucs.) Some of them (mostly middle-aged men) would ask me, "Where's Griffey? Why isn't he playing?" I could tell they were waiting to hear about some injury so that they could get in a few good-natured jabs at me, "Ha, injured again!" or something like that. When I told them that he has diverticulitis, they just said, "Oh...", and seemed kind of depressed. Middle-aged men don't like to talk about colon problems.

Ltlabner
04-29-2007, 08:19 PM

I didn't even have to look to know it was that lunatic. :laugh: His prose is nothing if not distinctive.

:laugh: That definitely sounds like his work.

Seriously though, that board is a complete joke. There are a few on there who are good and knowledgable posters, but the garbage of esaskywhirl and a few others drowns them out. I used to post on there last year but ever since I found RedsZone I've never been back.

Ahhhhhh the good ole days. That guy is definatley a total nut. If you are looking to kill some time, and possibly a few brain cells, give some of his rantings a read.

Jimbo is right. We both came over here around the same time and like him have never been back. When I'm worked up about some issue over here, I just think about the cincinnati.com boards and it all get's better.

dman
04-29-2007, 08:33 PM
Not to brown nose or seem like I'm bashing the noobs around here, but to those who think that the rep system is a "good 'ole boy" system, just have a read of this guy's crap that he continued to post on the cincy.com website.

All I can say is thanks to the admins, the mods, and all the rest of the members who help keep this site a reputable place to post about our fave team.

Screwball
04-29-2007, 08:37 PM

Out of curiosity, who do you think are the good posters on that site?

roknrolredsfan
04-29-2007, 08:37 PM
1st of all, this guy needs to learn how to spell!!! Secondly, if I remember correctly, Jr's mother had colon cancer surgery. Thus a history of colon problems in the family. Diverticulitis is one of those conditions that can potentially be inherited. It can also go by the name of IBS (irritable bowel syndrome). It is quite possible that he may have inherited the tendencies from his parent(s). So why not lay off the man...he will be back as soon as he can. We all know that he just wants to play ball, but to jeopardize one's health in doing so is just idiotic! By the way, I don't profess to be an authority on IBS, but I am well informed. I have had it for years. It requires paying very close attention to one's diet and it can be as debilitating as it has been portrayed in the media. I do believe that I have some credibility..I have been in the healthcare field for 36 years.

When he does get back, I feel that this team will finally take off! :thumbup:

Goten
04-30-2007, 02:26 AM
Stupidity at it's finest.

gonelong
04-30-2007, 08:20 AM
I am not saying that Griffey has ever taken steriods. Let me repeat, I am not saying that Griffey has ever taken steriods.

We have seen plenty of guys that have been busted for taking them that you'd have never have guessed just by looking at them. I'd not be shocked to find out at some point that has taken them, though if I had to wager, I'd wager that he has not.

GL

NorrisHopper30
04-30-2007, 09:22 AM
This guy isn't credible he can't even spell easy words right..

Ltlabner
04-30-2007, 09:28 AM
This guy isn't credible he can't even spell easy words right..

Let's not get too picky with the spelling. I'm not digging the direction this thread is taking. :help:

Cant Touch This
04-30-2007, 11:37 AM
Stupidity at it's finest.

Now THIS is good comedy.

KoryMac5
04-30-2007, 12:25 PM
I thought about JR this weekend and the fact that the diverticulitis is usually found in older men and the pleursy is often the result of another illness. This suggests to me that something deeper may be going on with his body i.e. a more serious condition. However, neither one of these illnesses would have anything to do with steroid abuse and to have somone who did a little digging to suggest otherwise is insane. I love the internet because there is a wealth of information on it. The downside to this is everyone thinks they are an expert.

registerthis
04-30-2007, 12:27 PM
Griffey is clearly stressed. The types of injuries and illnesses he is getting speaks volumes of a body that is simply worn out.

Ltlabner
04-30-2007, 12:37 PM
I thought about JR this weekend and the fact that the diverticulitis is usually found in older men and the pleursy is often the result of another illness. This suggests to me that something deeper may be going on with his body i.e. a more serious condition. However, neither one of these illnesses would have anything to do with steroid abuse and to have somone who did a little digging to suggest otherwise is insane. I love the internet because there is a wealth of information on it. The downside to this is everyone thinks they are an expert.

And let me tell you, esaskywhirl is capabile of weaving several weak and unreated pieces of "facts" into quite the conspiricy.

To add to the humor, if you read the entire thread, he says we should not say squat about Bonds because there is no evidence that he did anything wrong. Jr, OTOH, there is "boatloads" of "proof" that he did steriods. It's rather humerous actually.

demas863
04-30-2007, 12:43 PM
Responders to esaskywhirl's diagnosis are in unnecessary denial. As of this writing not a one dealt with the content of his message except for the "inheriting of divirticulitis from one's mother", a position which arguably is unfounded. Instead there are a litany of responses talking about the writer's poor spelling which from my reading were minor slips in key punching. The piece is very well written and is not void of logic.

Sadly this is another case of people responding out of emotion and irrational thinking because they don't want the message to be true. It would be too difficult to deal with. "My rookie cards wouldn't be worth squat and I'd have to remove the Griffey poster from my kid's bedroom because I told him he was 'the greatest'. " Instead, it's easier and more comfortable to just shoot the messenger.

It would be interesting to hear from an MD out there on the merits of esaskywhirl's diagnosis of the symptoms which on the surface appear irrefutable. We all might learn from his take - perhaps even the truth, something which in this day and age seems more negotiable rather than absolute.

I, for one, sure do wish there is nothing to this. I've got a ton of rookie cards and besides I like the guy.

Ltlabner
04-30-2007, 01:04 PM
It would be interesting to hear from an MD out there on the merits of esaskywhirl's diagnosis of the symptoms which on the surface appear irrefutable.

Wow. :confused:

Diagnosis?

Irrefutable?

Have words really lost their meanings?

Yachtzee
04-30-2007, 01:10 PM
I beleeve that poster has a weekend mental staitus...

I think I got weekend mental status from listening to too much Loverboy back in the '80s. ;)

BurgervilleBuck
04-30-2007, 01:20 PM
It would be interesting to hear from an MD out there on the merits of esaskywhirl's diagnosis of the symptoms which on the surface appear irrefutable. We all might learn from his take - perhaps even the truth, something which in this day and age seems more negotiable rather than absolute.
I think most of us here are open-minded but not so much that our brains would fall out.

fearofpopvol1
04-30-2007, 01:26 PM
I am not saying that Griffey has ever taken steriods. Let me repeat, I am not saying that Griffey has ever taken steriods.

We have seen plenty of guys that have been busted for taking them that you'd have never have guessed just by looking at them. I'd not be shocked to find out at some point that has taken them, though if I had to wager, I'd wager that he has not.

GL

This is exactly what I was going to say. I don't think he did and I hope he didn't, but given his generation of baseball players and how many other dominant players in his era have used or there has been speculation that they've used steroids, it's hard not to at least wonder. I really truly hope he didn't though.

flyer85
04-30-2007, 01:31 PM
in this steroid thing anything is possible. With Jr there isn't much anecdotal evidence against him, certainly not like the amount there is against McGwire and Bonds.

CaiGuy
04-30-2007, 01:34 PM
As of this writing not a one dealt with the content of his message except for the "inheriting of divirticulitis from one's mother", a position which arguably is unfounded.

How is the position that it is a symptom of steriods any more reliable?

Hubba
04-30-2007, 01:39 PM
in this steroid thing anything is possible. With Jr there isn't much anecdotal evidence against him, certainly not like the amount there is against McGwire and Bonds.I must admit it has crossed my mind.

jojo
04-30-2007, 01:46 PM
I saw this on another message board and thought I'd share it with everyone else.

This has got to be the dumbest man on the face of the world.

I don't know about the dumbest man on the face of the world, but he certainly has his share of issues with spelling....

jojo
04-30-2007, 01:49 PM
I didn't even have to look to know it was that lunatic. :laugh: His prose is nothing if not distinctive.

Ahhhhhh the good ole days. That guy is definatley a total nut. If you are looking to kill some time, and possibly a few brain cells, give some of his rantings a read.

Jimbo is right. We both came over here around the same time and like him have never been back. When I'm worked up about some issue over here, I just think about the cincinnati.com boards and it all get's better.

I say all things are best with moderation and this is especially true with message boards...

:beerme:

dougdirt
04-30-2007, 02:24 PM
The second he said Griffey hurt his hand while playing with his daughter I knew this was going somewhere bad. He starts off with an incorrect statement, as his son tackled him when he broke his hand.

Griffey has had how many ligament/tendon injuries he points to? 1? He blew his shoulder up and ripped his hamstring off the bone, dislocated a toe.... but only 1 ligament/tendon injury. He rambles about it like he has had 4 or 5. No, its just been 1.

He also states that diverticulitis is higher in people on steroids, but he fails to mention that one treatment for diverticulitis is steroids. I find it strange that if something causes a disease, that they would treat the disease by giving more of it.... but maybe thats just me.

Degenerate39
04-30-2007, 02:31 PM
Causes

The development of colonic diverticulum is thought to be a result of raised intraluminal colonic pressures. The sigmoid colon has the smallest diameter of any portion of the colon, and therefore the portion which would be expected to have the highest intraluminal pressure according to the laws of Laplace. The postulate that low dietary fiber, particularly non-soluble fiber (also known in older parlance as "roughage") predisposes individuals to diverticular disease is supported within the medical literature.

It is thought that mechanical blockage of a diverticulum, possibly by a piece of feces, leads to infection of the diverticulum.

No where do I see anything about steroids causing diverticulitis.

Ltlabner
04-30-2007, 02:32 PM
The second he said Griffey hurt his hand while playing with his daughter I knew this was going somewhere bad. He starts off with an incorrect statement, as his son tackled him when he broke his hand.

Griffey has had how many ligament/tendon injuries he points to? 1? He blew his shoulder up and ripped his hamstring off the bone, dislocated a toe.... but only 1 ligament/tendon injury. He rambles about it like he has had 4 or 5. No, its just been 1.

He also states that diverticulitis is higher in people on steroids, but he fails to mention that one treatment for diverticulitis is steroids. I find it strange that if something causes a disease, that they would treat the disease by giving more of it.... but maybe thats just me.

And his other big "piece of evidence" is Jr's and Bond's home run rates. Of course, he fails to leave out the detail that jr is 38 and Bonds is 43.

Oh well, I can't believe I am giving that nut free air time.

HUHUH
04-30-2007, 03:42 PM

If I recall correctly, Griffey says he was playing with all 3 of his kids when his eldest son knocked him over and he broke his hand. So saying he "hurt his hand while playing with his daughter" is apparently NOT an incorrect statement.

I agree with demas863 on this. Most responders to this post show no critical thought. They dismiss the accusation without responding to any of the details of the accusation. Just because Griff has gotten a free ride on steroids the last 10 years does not imply that he does not or has not used them.

Wake up people. Does anyone here know what critical thinking is? I guess its just easier to get on a bandwagon than to think.

jojo
04-30-2007, 03:51 PM
If I recall correctly, Griffey says he was playing with all 3 of his kids when his eldest son knocked him over and he broke his hand. So saying he "hurt his hand while playing with his daughter" is apparently NOT an incorrect statement.

I agree with demas863 on this. Most responders to this post show no critical thought. They dismiss the accusation without responding to any of the details of the accusation. Just because Griff has gotten a free ride on steroids the last 10 years does not imply that he does not or has not used them.

Wake up people. Does anyone here know what critical thinking is? I guess its just easier to get on a bandwagon than to think.

I think most people who have responded are already on record with their thoughts concerning the issue. This issue has been hashed almost ad nasuem (steroids).

KoryMac5
04-30-2007, 04:09 PM

I think critically everyday because my job and ethics deem that I do, that being said I think the writer questioning whether or not Jr was on steroids was not thinking critically when bringing the issue to the table. Thinking critically as we all know is bringing both sides of an issue to the table and weighing the evidence carefully. This takes emotions out of the decision making process so people can make a rational decision. The original post on another message board was speculation, no studies were cited and no links were provided for the little research the man or woman did to come to his or her conclusion. Does Griffey show some evidence (symptoms of steroid abuse) yes, however it is not enough to support a conclusion that he has abused in his career. We can not make a sound conclusion based on torn tendons, pleurisy which is a virus often caused by another ailment, or diverctulitis a bowel condition that usually effects older males. We just don't have enough information available to make any other choice but to say no he hasn't used.

signs or symptoms of steroid abuse

Possible side effects for males and females include the following:

High blood pressure and heart disease
Liver damage and cancers
Stroke and blood clots
Urinary and bowel problems, such as diarrhea
Headaches, aching joints and muscle cramps
Nausea and vomiting
Sleep problems
Increased risk of ligament and tendon injuries
Severe acne, especially on face and back
Baldness

Doro
04-30-2007, 05:05 PM
I at 23 years old never had ANY physical problems. All of a sudden at the age of 22 I tore my ACL and meniscus turning towards 2nd base on a SS's error throw over the 1Bs head. I come back the next year and retear my meniscus and badly pull my hamstring. I have never taken steriods and these things happen to me naturally...... hes an older guy who these things are suppose to happen to. This guy is a joke.

On the other hand there are NO studies that point to any certain side effects of steriod use. There simply havnt been a large enough sample size for any study to make any real claims. After mentioning this I should point out that doesnt mean to go shoot some up.

Hubba
04-30-2007, 08:00 PM
[quote=Doro;1325057]I at 23 years old never had ANY physical problems. All of a sudden at the age of 22 I tore my ACL and meniscus turning towards 2nd base on a SS's error throw over the 1Bs head. I come back the next year and retear my meniscus and badly pull my hamstring. I have never taken steriods and these things happen to me naturally...... hes an older guy who these things are suppose to happen to. This guy is a joke.

did you mess up on the age thing?

BlfdVaFan
04-30-2007, 08:19 PM
I believed in Pete Rose for years and years. He said he was not guilty and I believed him. Even when he said he was guilty I thought he was doing it just so he would be forgiven like everyone implied that he would be. All I can say to this thread is that nothing surprises me anyore. I am not going to condemn the messenger.

KoryMac5
04-30-2007, 09:31 PM
I believed in Pete Rose for years and years. He said he was not guilty and I believed him. Even when he said he was guilty I thought he was doing it just so he would be forgiven like everyone implied that he would be. All I can say to this thread is that nothing surprises me anyore. I am not going to condemn the messenger.

Believe the evidence, there was plenty out there to suggest that Rose bet on baseball. No evidence suggests that Griffey has used steroids. You can't compare the two.