PDA

View Full Version : Reds to retire #13

Spitball
04-30-2007, 10:26 PM
Congratulations Dave Concepcion! I believe the ceremony will be on July 28.

Spitball
04-30-2007, 10:29 PM
REDS NEWS - April 30, 2006
=======================================

REDS TO RETIRE DAVE CONCEPCION'S #13 UNIFORM NUMBER

The uniform jersey number 13 worn from 1970 through
1988 by Cincinnati Reds shortstop Dave Concepcion will
be retired in ceremonies at Great American Ball Park
prior to the Saturday, July 28 game against the Chicago Cubs.

At its meeting last week, the board of directors of the
Reds Hall of Fame and Museum voted unanimously to retire
the uniform number of the Venezuelan native.

"He was the best shortstop of his era and certainly one
of the greatest in the history of our storied franchise,"
said Reds president and chief executive officer Bob Castellini.
"Number 13 deserves to hang next to the uniform jerseys of
Bench and Morgan and Perez."

Concepcion's 13 will be the ninth number retired by the Reds,
joining Fred Hutchinson's 1, Johnny Bench's 5, Joe Morgan's 8,
Sparky Anderson's 10, Ted Kluszewski's 18, Frank Robinson's 20,
Tony Perez' 24 and Jackie Robinson's 42. Concepcion was inducted
into the Reds Hall of Fame in 2000."

Each fan attending the 7:10 p.m. game will receive a commemorative
replica of a painting that will be presented to Concepcion that day.

MWM
04-30-2007, 10:38 PM
Nice move by the franchise. I wish I could be there for the ceremony. #13 was my first baseball idol as a kid.

OldRightHander
05-01-2007, 12:50 AM
It's about time.

RedsBaron
05-01-2007, 07:31 AM
:thumbup: I wish Davey could make the Hall of Fame, but that appears unlikely.

Redsland
05-01-2007, 11:18 AM
Assuming he fails to get inducted into the HoF this year, he'll be eligible for consideration by the Veteran Commitee the following year.

I realize the Veteran's Committee hasn't inducted anybody the past few times it's met, but I'd like to think they understand Davey's contributions to the sport more than the sportswriters do.

With Bench, Morgan, Doggie, Ozzie, and others pulling for him, I could see it finally happening for him.

RedsBaron
05-01-2007, 11:26 AM
Assuming he fails to get inducted into the HoF this year, he'll be eligible for consideration by the Veteran Commitee the following year.

I realize the Veteran's Committee hasn't inducted anybody the past few times it's met, but I'd like to think they understand Davey's contributions to the sport more than the sportswriters do.

With Bench, Morgan, Doggie, Ozzie, and others pulling for him, I could see it finally happening for him.

I wish I could believe that the Veteran's Committee would induct Davey, but I believe that the members of it like the HOF to be their exclusive little club. I don't expect the Veteran's Committee, as presently constituted, to ever elect anybody.

MrCinatit
05-01-2007, 11:34 AM
Concepcion - isn't he the kid that replaced Woody Woodward and Darrel Chaney a while back? Always wondered what became of him.

Seriously, this is great news for Davey. He was always one of my favorites - he looked like he had fun playing the game, but at the same time was oh so very great at it.
And it really does say a lot when the team can say he is "one of the team's best shortstops" - seriously. This team has had some rather good ones.

Unassisted
05-02-2007, 09:38 AM
Looks like the FO dropped the ball if they expect a good turnout by Concepcion's BRM teammates.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/sfl-spmarnot02may02,0,2205274.story?coll=sfla-sports-headlines

BAD TIMING

Marlins special assistant Tony Perez would like nothing more than to attend the number retirement ceremony of fellow Big Red Machine teammate Dave Concepcion. The problem is the Reds' timing could not be worse.

The Reds scheduled the ceremony before their July 28 home game against the Cubs, during Hall of Fame weekend. Perez already has committed to being in Cooperstown, N.Y., where fellow Hall of Famers Johnny Bench and Joe Morgan will be as well.

"I go every year to the Hall of Fame," Perez said. "I saw Davey Sunday and I told him. I said, `That's Hall of Fame weekend. How did [the Reds] choose that day?' I'd like to be there. Maybe they'll move it."

Perez, Bench, Morgan and manager Sparky Anderson are the Big Red Machine representatives whose numbers already are retired in Cincinnati....

MrCinatit
05-02-2007, 10:01 AM
They scheduled it on the same weekend as the Hall-of-Fame inductions? Might as well have scheduled it during the All-Star break.

BuckWoody
05-02-2007, 10:02 AM
Looks like the FO dropped the ball if they expect a good turnout by Concepcion's BRM teammates.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/sfl-spmarnot02may02,0,2205274.story?coll=sfla-sports-headlines
DOH!

I'll be out of town on vacation too. I wonder if that will be the one thing that will finally get them to reschedule. ;)

Redsland
05-02-2007, 12:14 PM
Whoops.

The Reds simply have to move the date.

KronoRed
05-02-2007, 01:45 PM
No way they forgot about the HOF ceremony.

Maybe they don't want all those darn people there ;)

RBA
05-02-2007, 03:21 PM
They should schedule it for a Cardinals at Reds game. Thereby reminding the Cardinals and their fans who really was the best SS of the 70's and early 80's.

Big Klu
05-02-2007, 03:46 PM
They should schedule it for a Cardinals at Reds game. Thereby reminding the Cardinals and their fans who really was the best SS of the 70's and early 80's.

I thought it would be nice if they scheduled it when the Giants were in town. Maybe Omar Vizquel could then be part of the festivities, showing his respect and admiration for Davey.

Ron Madden
05-02-2007, 06:19 PM
The date has been changed from to August 25th.

Redsland
05-02-2007, 06:21 PM
:beerme:

WebScorpion
05-04-2007, 01:01 PM
The date has been changed from to August 25th.

Whew! For a second there I thought Marge was back... :D