PDA

View Full Version : Should we worry about Milwaukee?

AmarilloRed
05-01-2007, 01:16 AM
We are now 4 games behind Milwaukee, and they are considerably above.500. It is a long season, but they seem to be our main competition in the NL Central. They have good starting pitching,a good bullpen, and quality hitters. If we are not careful, we could find ourselves playing for the wild card rather early. It would be very hard for us to win enough for the wild card.:(

mroby85
05-01-2007, 01:19 AM
We are now 4 games behind Milwaukee, and they are considerably above.500. It is a long season, but they seem to be our main competition in the NL Central. They have good starting pitching,a good bullpen, and quality hitters. If we are not careful, we could find ourselves playing for the wild card rather early. It would be very hard for us to win enough for the wild card.:(

i honestly think we should worry about everyone in this division because i don't think anyone is head and shoulders above anyone else. However, i do feel that if the reds had won games up to this point that they realistically should have, they would still be right with milwuakee or even ahead of them.

macro
05-01-2007, 01:44 AM
Gosh, I don't know. They are the Brewers, but many franchises shake off the cobwebs and make the playoffs eventually. I think mroby's right, though. No one is likely to run away and hide in the NL Central. For some reason I think it will be the same old Cardinals and Astros battling come late September.

fearofpopvol1
05-01-2007, 01:47 AM
There is something different about this Brewers team. I think they are a legitimate concern.

AmarilloRed
05-01-2007, 02:06 AM
I honestly dont think anyone else in the Nl Central will see.500 this year(except maybe us) Tonights game showed how easily Milwaukee handled St. Louis,AND I am worried they will run off and hide in this division.Again,its a long season, but we should try and stay within striking distance while they are this hot. I do think it will be a 2 team race; the Brewers and whoever is able to eventually challenge them(I hope its us).

killuminati35
05-01-2007, 02:12 AM
Considering the situation the Cardinals are in, I'm not sure that the Brewers "handling" them is really saying a whole lot.

Like a lot of people, I think everybody but the Pirates will be battling for the 83-84 wins it will take to clinch the division.

dougdirt
05-01-2007, 02:12 AM
I have been worried about the Brewers since last season ended. Ive got 25 bucks on them finishing ahead of the Cardinals with my buddy who still cant grasp the concept that they are actually a good team because 'they are the Brewers and the Cardinals are much better'. The Brewers were my favorite to win this division and it seems to be shaping up that way early.

TeamSelig
05-01-2007, 02:14 AM
Doesn't their pythag show that they shouldn't be winning as many games as they have so far? If so, they won't continue this.

They're up there though, and they have just as good of a chance as anybody else. This division is horrible.

dougdirt
05-01-2007, 02:47 AM
Doesn't their pythag show that they shouldn't be winning as many games as they have so far? If so, they won't continue this.

They're up there though, and they have just as good of a chance as anybody else. This division is horrible.

That doesn't always hold true.... the 1987 Twins finished 85-77 and won a WS despite being outscored by 20 runs on the season.

The Brewers actually have been outscored by 3 runs so far this season though.

The Reds are dead even at 109-109, while the Cubs are outscoring teams 110-88 but have a losing record.

WVRedsFan
05-01-2007, 02:53 AM
Today, on my daily trip to the bank, I had XM's baseball channel on in the car (as I always do), and they had some "expert" on there talking about the Central Division. First off, when I'm driving, I don't get every detal, but I get the gist of what's going on, so I don't know who it was. It was the 1:00 PM timeframe.

Anyway this guy was saying the Brewers would be strong all year because of their pitching and offense. Then they went through our division and said the Cardinals were looking like last year's early season team while the Cubs were getting things straightened out and would challenge the Brewers. Houston was also getting things ironed out while Pittsburgh and Cincinnati were doing what they always did--nothing. Not a mention of what our starting pitching has done and really down on management and offense. No respect.

I have no idea what the Brewers will do, but I know that they play like the 1927 Yankees against us and that makes me wish them nothing but bad luck for the rest of the year.

That said, they got into payroll an mentioned that Chicago had a $100 million payroll and St. Louis had a $90 million team while the Astros were at $88 million and the Brewers were at $72, I think. The Reds were at $68 and the Pirates at $39. The Brewers had the low payroll among contenders, but they had spent their money wisely. The preiction was Brewers, Cards, Cubs, Reds, and Pirates in that order. And only the first three would have winning seasons. Looking at those numbers, I had to question why we ranked 4th out of 5 teams in payroll considering how Cincinnati had the third largest population and if Griffey, Dunn, and Milton were taken out of the payroll it would be only slightly above the Pirate payroll.

I hope we fool them all this year, but you have to wonder. Can a Cincinnati compete in this division with a low payroll? It's a valid question.

jmcclain19
05-01-2007, 04:27 AM
If you go down the lineup - the Brewers are superior to the Reds at just about every position player & hurler - especially the bullpen.

I would say (and did before the season) that the Brewers should win the Central, and if they keep playing like they are now, they'll win it running away.

sonny
05-01-2007, 04:31 AM
If the Reds don't win it, I sure hope the Brewers do. They remind me of a classic-play-the-game-like-you-should club. Bunch of hustlers and scrappers. Gotta like that.

jmcclain19
05-01-2007, 04:42 AM
Just wait until Ryan Braun makes an appearance next month.

jojo
05-01-2007, 08:57 AM
Should we worry about Milwaukee? Short answer-yes.

redsmetz
05-01-2007, 09:33 AM
I think we ought to be concerned with everyone in this division. It is absolutely wide open, although if any club gets hot (and especially if they stay hot), it will be a cake walk. I've been saying for several years that the Brewers would be competing in this division. I, for one, don't buy that this is a mediocre division. There are some good clubs in it and the way ML schedules are now, with so many games within your division, it's little wonder that the wins aren't as high as other divisions.

Danny Serafini
05-01-2007, 09:58 AM
They're the Brewers, they always find a way to slip on the banana peel. They've been supposed to break out for several years but haven't done it. They're going to have to go deep into the year on top before I'm convinced this isn't more than a hot streak.

bucksfan2
05-01-2007, 10:17 AM
Im not as high on the Brewers as a lot of people here are. I see them as a very streaky team. I think you will see some very good 10-15 day stretches but also some very bad stretches. I think if Sheets stays healthy all year they could be dangerous but if he doesn't I see a team full of average starting pitching with a good bullpen but a very up and down lineup.

As for the national baseball guys I have almost quit paying attention. Last night I was watching baseball tonight and the host asked Steve Phillips to put on his gm hat and I had to laugh. I kept watching to see what stupid thing he would say next.

Unassisted
05-01-2007, 10:51 AM
Milwaukee is currently an above-average team in a below-average division. Having seen this year's versions of the Cardinals and Astros and gone away unimpressed, I think Milwaukee has the best chance to win the division.

I also think as Reds fans, we have reason to worry more about our own team's performance more than about anything that Milwaukee is doing.

M2
05-01-2007, 10:52 AM
If you go down the lineup - the Brewers are superior to the Reds at just about every position player & hurler - especially the bullpen.

I would say (and did before the season) that the Brewers should win the Central, and if they keep playing like they are now, they'll win it running away.

I'm of the same opinion. The Brewers have the talent, it's just a matter of the team playing achieving consistency. Looks like that's starting to happen.

hebroncougar
05-01-2007, 10:56 AM
I was one of the few (apparently) that voted the Breweres over at Redreporter. They are young, and very hungry. They have some vets pitching, and acquired a pretty lights out closer last season.

Jaycint
05-01-2007, 11:09 AM
They're the Brewers, they always find a way to slip on the banana peel. They've been supposed to break out for several years but haven't done it. They're going to have to go deep into the year on top before I'm convinced this isn't more than a hot streak.

I'm with you on this. I've heard about the rising power in Wisconsin for two plus years now. If they are still playing on this level in late July/early August then I will buy in.

RedsManRick
05-01-2007, 11:12 AM
If Ben Sheets stays healthy, I think the Brewers are far and away the class of the division. Braun plays a brutal 3B but has a great bat. Menchkins is a .900 OPS LF platoon that they'd be smart to stick with. Their bullpen is solid at the backend, particular as Turnbow gets his control back and Coco Cordero gets healthy again.

I actually think the most important player in the Reds fortune this year is Junior. The starting rotation is going to be league average or a touch better. The bullpen is going to be slightly below average. However, if Junior can be a .875-.900 OPS bat in the lineup, that's the difference between a mediocre offense and a good one. I'd love to see a regular lineup of:

Hamilton
Dunn
EE
Junior
BP
Hatt/Conine
Gonzalez
Ross

Wheelhouse
05-01-2007, 11:12 AM
The thing that astonishes me is how all the announcers are talking about how no one is going to run away with the division in the central? Why not? If a team plays well (as opposed to last year when it was a competition to see who could give the division away) it could run away with the division. There is no reason to assume Milwaukee, with solid pitching and a balanced hitting attack can't win by ten games. The Cards seem worse now than last year, and the Reds have weak team leadership.

kxblue
05-01-2007, 11:46 AM
The Brewers are way above their pythag right now. As a team, they certainly have great talent and good pitching, but they have been winning the close ones and getting clobbered in their losses.

On the other hand, the Cubs are way under their pythag.

Could these trends continue for the season? Sure, it happened to Cleveland last year. Is it likely? not really. Based on talent though, the Brewers should improve their pythag.

Redsland
05-01-2007, 11:48 AM
The thing that astonishes me is how all the announcers are talking about how no one is going to run away with the division in the central? Why not?
Because that's what happened last year, and sports reporters tend to predict repeat performances. That's why preseason rankings tend to look a lot like the previous season's final standings. It happens every year in every sport.

Nice work if you can get it.

M2
05-01-2007, 12:07 PM
The Brewers are way above their pythag right now. As a team, they certainly have great talent and good pitching, but they have been winning the close ones and getting clobbered in their losses.

On the other hand, the Cubs are way under their pythag.

Could these trends continue for the season? Sure, it happened to Cleveland last year. Is it likely? not really. Based on talent though, the Brewers should improve their pythag.

The Brewers are also out-OPSing their opponents by 39 points. Their pythag will turn if that continues.

The Cubs are interesting. They've got three starting pitchers pitching miles above their heads. The offense is thin and looking decidedly underpowered. I'm thinking what the team has done is squander an opportunity to make some hay and that it's going to collapse when guys like Jason Marquis cool off.

Wheelhouse, Redsland - good points about why we shouldn't assume mediocrity will take the division.

klw
05-01-2007, 12:37 PM
I would say the Brewers are definitely a concern but it will be interesting to how they handle having a lead and if they can put teams away. It seemed that on a number of occasions the Reds were on the verge of burying teams in at least the WC race last year but couldn't seal the deal. EX. stumbling right before the trade deadline when a push would hve made for a number a sellers, a bad series with the Astros when they were teetering, LA, SF starting or expanding on hot streaks vs the REDS when a Reds sweep would have knocked them out, etc. It will be curious to see if the early runners let other teams stick around. Right now I would be happy to see the Brewers know some teams off the back end and get separation as long as the Reds can stay 3 or 4 out.

Oh last year on this date the Reds were 18 -8.

44Magnum
05-01-2007, 12:55 PM
I don't sweat the Brewers. They could win the division, but I'll believe it when I see it.

Ltlabner
05-01-2007, 01:00 PM
The Brewers are also out-OPSing their opponents by 39 points. Their pythag will turn if that continues.

The Cubs are interesting. They've got three starting pitchers pitching miles above their heads. The offense is thin and looking decidedly underpowered. I'm thinking what the team has done is squander an opportunity to make some hay and that it's going to collapse when guys like Jason Marquis cool off.

Wheelhouse, Redsland - good points about why we shouldn't assume mediocrity will take the division.

Well, it's pretty darn early. If we went off the standings at the end of 1 month, the Reds would have won the division last year.

I remember the Brewers having horrable defense when they were in town. I mean downright pitiful. I have to think that if that were to continue it will eat away at their lead, especially if the SP or offense slides. (I understand that I might have caught a couple bad games, and/or it's just a short burp of bad luck).

I think the Cubs are the paper tiger of the division.

Hou and Pittsburgs are non-factors, except Hou might play the role of spoiler.

As much as the Cards suck right now, I woln't write LaRussa off until they are mathamatically eliminated. As much as the guy bugs me, he and Duncan have an amazing ability to turn a hunk of stool into a diamond just long enough to help out the team. See also, Weaver, Jeff.

coachw513
05-01-2007, 01:01 PM
Sheets has a "Griffey-like" effect on the Brewers...if he gets hurt for any length of time, it really hurts the performance of the entire club...that's one major question mark for them...

Next, a bunch of youth from some key guys...can they stay focused and sharp all season long in order to pull away from the pack in the central???

But they have the pieces and I'm both not surprised by their start nor am I believing it's a mirage...they have the POTENTIAL to win 90+ because of the depth in their rotation and bullpen...

I'm still convinced we are the next best thing in the division and the team who could sneak in there with them...this is a huge month, as correctly pointed out by John Fay today in the Enquirer...I'd love to see us above .500 going into June...

FWIW, Rickie Weeks played HS ball with my stepson (Lake Brantley HS, Florida)...my wife says he and his family are good folks...

PuffyPig
05-01-2007, 01:11 PM
The thing that astonishes me is how all the announcers are talking about how no one is going to run away with the division in the central? Why not? If a team plays well (as opposed to last year when it was a competition to see who could give the division away) it could run away with the division. There is no reason to assume Milwaukee, with solid pitching and a balanced hitting attack can't win by ten games.

If the Brewers pitching and hitting are so solid, why haven't they scored more runs than they have given up?

No question, if one team in the Central can win 95 games, they'll win in a landslide.

I don't think that team exists in the Central. But if anyone will do it, it would be the Brewers.

klw
05-01-2007, 01:17 PM
[QUOTE=PuffyPig;1325739]If the Brewers pitching and hitting are so solid, why haven't they scored more runs than they have given up?
QUOTE]

It looks like when they lose, they lose big.

Apr. '07 OPPONENT RESULT REC WIN LOSS
Wed. 4 LA Dodgers L 5-4 2-1 Schmidt (1-0) Suppan (0-1)
Fri. 6 Chicago Cubs L 9-3 2-2 Hill (1-0) Bush (0-1)
Sat. 7 Chicago Cubs L 6-3 2-3 Zambrano (1-1) Sheets (1-1)
Mon. 9 at Florida L 5-3 3-4 Sanchez (1-0) Suppan (0-2)
Sun. 15 at St. Louis L 10-2 6-5 Looper (2-1) Sheets (1-2)
Tue. 17 at Cincinnati L 11-5 7-6 Stanton (1-0) Shouse (1-1)
Fri. 20 Houston L 6-5 9-7 White (1-0) Wise (0-1)
Wed 25 @ Chicago Cubs L 9-3 13-8 Lilly (2-2) Dessens (1-1)
Sat. 28 at Houston L 10-1 14-9 Sampson (3-1) Bush (2-2)

M2
05-01-2007, 01:29 PM
Well, it's pretty darn early. If we went off the standings at the end of 1 month, the Reds would have won the division last year.

I remember the Brewers having horrable defense when they were in town. I mean downright pitiful. I have to think that if that were to continue it will eat away at their lead, especially if the SP or offense slides. (I understand that I might have caught a couple bad games, and/or it's just a short burp of bad luck).

I think the Cubs are the paper tiger of the division.

Hou and Pittsburgs are non-factors, except Hou might play the role of spoiler.

As much as the Cards suck right now, I woln't write LaRussa off until they are mathamatically eliminated. As much as the guy bugs me, he and Duncan have an amazing ability to turn a hunk of stool into a diamond just long enough to help out the team. See also, Weaver, Jeff.

It's early, but the Brewers are loaded with talent. It's a team that no one in the division wants to see put it together. You are correct that defense is the Achilles Heel on that team (though the Reds aren't much better), though I think many of the problems are the result of youthful inexperience. I'd guess the Brewers will be improving defensively as the year goes on.

The difference between this Brewers team and the Reds teams that have gotten off to hot starts in previous years is the Brewers profile as a team that can consolidate those gains and build on them.

For the Reds, I still maintain the club is going to take another month to come together. June is where the club will make its move, or not. Though a good month by the Brewers could double their lead on the pack in the interim.

Chip R
05-01-2007, 01:32 PM

About the halfway point of last year, Marquis' name was mentiond among the Cy Young candidates. Not because of a low ERA but that he'd won 11 or 12 games already. He pretty much tanked after that.

I think one thing the Brewers have going for them is that - as funny as it sounds - they may not know that they aren't supposed to be there. They are like, why not us? But that can work both ways. If someone like StL heats up down the stretch, they may fold. They are impressive so far. But it could all change if Sheets and/or someone else goes down.

VR
05-01-2007, 02:17 PM
Brewers will be tough all year, but alas, they are the Brewers.

To be 1 under .500 with little or no contribution from EE, Ross, Griffey is promising. Gonzo and Hamilton are the only ones playing over their heads....and even they haven't done it with any consistency.

Defense has been shaky, but the pieces are there for that to be much
improved over the long haul.

That improved defense from a range perspective has to be part of the reason for the starters tremendous start...but they are getting it done in an impressive fashion so far.

Bullpen? That is the linchpin for any hopes the Reds have.

AmarilloRed
05-01-2007, 03:29 PM
I seem to have started a firestorm. The Brewers have been a young team that always struck out in key situations the past number of years. Their starting pitching is very good. They have young position players who can look great one day and terrible the next. This may be why they have such lopsided scores in their losses. I am not dismissing the rest of the division(yet), but I really dont see anything to fear in the rest of the division. Their bullpen seems to be reliable, and if their position players can mature, they could win the division. It is always difficult to win with young players though.:rolleyes:

Falls City Beer
05-01-2007, 03:37 PM

Suppan is pitching well above his head. So is Cordero.

Sheets is a sit-up away from a 60-day DL visit.

Their pitching could be brutal. It could be decent (that's their ceiling), but losing Davis hurts--they could be brutal.

Though let it be said that the Reds walk the same tightrope pitching-wise.

And the Reds have a weaker offense.

But on balance, the Brewers and the Reds could look remarkably similar by June 1st.

My money's still solidly behind the Cards. Simply put, they find ways to win. They will turn over every stone to get done what needs to get done. They will need to be beat; don't expect them to fade.

Doro
05-01-2007, 03:39 PM
They have pitching and young hitters that are capable of busting out for career type numbers. (Fielder and Weeks). They are a young hungry team with something to prove. At the moment they scare me more than any other team in the N.L. Imagine if they still had Lee.

Eric_Davis
05-01-2007, 03:47 PM
Our main competition right now is our bats. They don't seem to want to make contact with the ball.

We average about 10th in most offensive categories in the NL. It was worse until we scored those 17 runs the last two games of the month. So, maybe we are coming out of it and we can average 5 runs a game in May and win more games than we lose instead of the 4 runs a game we got in April until those last two games.

Will
05-01-2007, 06:07 PM
Give it till the AS break and we will see who the contenders are, and who the pretenders are. That's why all MLB teams wait to do any dealing before then unless it's an emergency.
We have a possibility of having a contender ourself if the bull pen rights its self.
The starters are good enough and the offense is good enough if they play to their potential.

PuffyPig
05-01-2007, 06:23 PM
1. My money's still solidly behind the Cards.

2. The Pope is Catholic.
3. A bear poop's in the woods.
4. Griffey will see some time on the DL this year.
5. A Red's poster will suggest that the Red's do a deal with TB/Oakland to send Hamilton/Burton to the minor leagues, like they should have done with Pena 3 years ago.
6. Some Red's poster will suggest that Dunn K's too much.
7. A chicken does not have lips.
8. Many Red's posters will declare a game over once we give up an early run. The Reds will rally and win.
9. Milton will give up a HR or 2 or 20. Redzone will not be pleased.
10. Griffey will get a GWH and we will remember why we love him so much.

A list of the 10 most obvious things in the World.

cincrazy
05-01-2007, 07:43 PM
It's the beginning of May, I'm not worried about anyone else but US right now. I'm of the opinion that this Reds team will be a better team at the end of the year than they are now. But I'm afraid that it will be too late by then.

Eric_Davis
05-01-2007, 08:26 PM
They have balance. Only the Brewers and the Mets have above .500 records against both left-handed and right-handed starters.

TC81190
05-01-2007, 08:33 PM
Don't think the Pirates are an absolute pushover. They've had the pitching, but now they have a few hitters that can do some damage.

Will
05-01-2007, 08:38 PM
Don't think the Pirates are an absolute pushover. They've had the pitching, but now they have a few hitters that can do some damage.

Pirates also have leaders in Wilson and Sanchez who make everyone around them better. They both have Bulldog mentalities that rub off.

M2
05-01-2007, 09:02 PM
The Pirates are 14th in the NL in scoring (15th in OPS) and 10th in ERA and OPS allowed. That's a bad combination. I'd like to see that team do well because those fans have suffered through a lot of losing, but it's going to take more than a bulldog mentality. It's better, but that team still needs more talent. To that end, if the team could find someone willing to trade talent for Jack Wilson it would be crazy to pass on the deal.

jojo
05-02-2007, 09:33 PM
Right now the Brewers are poised to run away with things early... 4.5 game lead on May 2nd....

AmarilloRed
05-03-2007, 01:54 AM
Capuano got hurt tonight though-that may slow them up somewhat.

M2
05-03-2007, 01:57 AM
Capuano got hurt tonight though-that may slow them up somewhat.

Took a ball off his thigh. I think it's just a painful bruise.

AmarilloRed
05-03-2007, 02:26 AM
At any rate, they look like a team to be feared all season. Lets try and stay with them during May, and we have a fighting chance:duel:

Shaggy Sanchez
05-03-2007, 03:17 PM
I think it is interesting that people write off the Brewers simply because they are "The Brewers" yet think the Reds can win the division. What exactly have the Reds done to make anyone think they can win a division. The last team to have a legit chance at the playoffs was '99 and they couldn't do what most are saying the Brewers can't do, close the deal. The Brewers are the team to beat in the Central hands down and sadly I think the Reds are closer to 4th than they are 2nd in the division.

reds1869
05-03-2007, 03:20 PM
Five games is not a lot to make up, but it's nothing to sneeze at either. My opinion: the NL Central will come down to us and the Brewers, with everyone else remaining in contention until September. Our division is just not that great, which means the race should be exciting to the finish.

lollipopcurve
05-03-2007, 03:26 PM
I thought the Brewers were overrated, but now I'm not so sure because,

1. Hardy is emerging.
2. Turnbow has his head back on.
3. The bench is outstanding.

I still think they're weak defensively (perhaps more so if Braun comes up) and they are inexperienced in pennant races, so they could show some real vulnerability at some point. But, if they hop out to a good lead, I don't know that anyone in the division has enough to separate from the pack and chase them down.

Falls City Beer
05-03-2007, 03:51 PM
If Sheets can't give them more than 150 innings, they'll likely not win the Central. Their pitching just isn't all that great.

Ltlabner
05-03-2007, 04:06 PM
I thought the Brewers were overrated, but now I'm not so sure because,

1. Hardy is emerging.
2. Turnbow has his head back on.
3. The bench is outstanding.

I still think they're weak defensively (perhaps more so if Braun comes up) and they are inexperienced in pennant races, so they could show some real vulnerability at some point. But, if they hop out to a good lead, I don't know that anyone in the division has enough to separate from the pack and chase them down.

Of course, Turnbow was lights out the 1st half of 2006 also. Then where did he go? So I don't think he's a lock to excel in the 2nd half of 2007 just because he does well in the 1st half.

jojo
05-03-2007, 06:07 PM
Of course, Turnbow was lights out the 1st half of 2006 also. Then where did he go? So I don't think he's a lock to excel in the 2nd half of 2007 just because he does well in the 1st half.

But it might only take the first half. 10 or 15 over at the all-star break might be enough to allow a team to coast at or just below .500 the rest of the way in this division...

bthomasiscool
05-03-2007, 06:17 PM
"Should we worry about Milwaukee?"

As one of my good hillbilly friends puts it, "Does a bear **** in the woods?"

AmarilloRed
05-04-2007, 02:24 AM
The only way to stop worrying about Milwaukee is to start playing better than them-simple as that sounds.:owned:

RedsMan3203
05-04-2007, 02:54 AM
I don't know if this has been said in the thread or not - I'm not going to read the whole thing...

We should worry about ourself, then worry about others. If we take care of ourself the rest will fall into place.

M2
05-05-2007, 02:32 AM
I don't know if this has been said in the thread or not - I'm not going to read the whole thing...

We should worry about ourself, then worry about others. If we take care of ourself the rest will fall into place.

That's certainly the attitude the team should take. Win your 90+ games and don't worry about the scoreboard until late September.

Though for us as fans, the Brewers are now 19-10 with a +25 run differential. It's probably time recognize that team may be for real.

RANDY IN INDY
05-05-2007, 11:31 AM
Should we worry about Milwaukee?

Yes.

storrs19
05-05-2007, 11:33 AM
I picked the Brewers to win the NL Central back in March. If their starting pitching stays healthy (Sheets and Capuano) they should have no problem taking this miserable division. The NL Central's winner will have about 85 wins, IMHO and I think the Brewers have the best all around package. The problem is that the wild card sure as heck won't be out of the Central Division this year so the winner is the only one going to the post season.

jmac
05-05-2007, 01:34 PM
Right now,this team needs to worry about winning the games with Harang and BA and trying to win a couple of the 3 by the others. Some how....win 8 of 10 or thereabouts and then we can think more about the standings.

Unassisted
05-05-2007, 02:07 PM
As of right now, in head-to-head matchups, Milwaukee is the only team over .500 against NL Central opponents at 15-8. The Reds, Pirates and Cards are right at .500 against the NL Central, while the Cubs and Astros are 2 and 5 games below .500 respectively. If MIL can keep up that pace, they'll run away with the division, thanks to the unbalanced schedule.

storrs19
05-06-2007, 07:53 AM
I agree the schedule is a bone of contention with me. The Reds having six trips of 9 or more games on the road. That is going to be a rough haul. What really worries me is that we have not played any real good teams (other than the Brewers) yet. We still have the Dodgers, Giants, Padres, Mets and Braves to play. Those are going to be some real bad games if we don't get our act together. I see where the Mets beat Arizona with two huge wins over Randy Johnson and Brandon Webb.

jmac
05-11-2007, 06:59 AM
Jason Stark reported the other day...the brew crew has like one series win vs a team with winning record and their schedule gets much tougher in the next few weeks.
However ours does too so.....:help:

jojo
05-11-2007, 08:48 AM
Jason Stark reported the other day...the brew crew has like one series win vs a team with winning record and their schedule gets much tougher in the next few weeks.
However ours does too so.....:help:

The west coast is beautiful, the weather is good, the food can be awesome...what bad could happen to the Reds out there?

:all_cohol

storrs19
05-11-2007, 10:08 AM
From Jojo: "The west coast is beautiful, the weather is good, the food can be awesome...what bad could happen to the Reds out there?"

We might have an exciting wonderful, glorius trip like we did starting last August 24th :laugh: