PDA

View Full Version : The outfield wall at GABP!!

WVPacman
05-01-2007, 12:20 AM
Guys I don't know why but I have been thinking about this for the last two days.You know how the Dodgers and I think Braves have pictures of their all time greats all over their outfield wall.Why can't we do that?? I mean that would be a great tribute to all of our all time greats that played for the reds.They could put some players thats jersey is already retired in the stadium AND they could put some great ones that hav'nt had their jerseys retired yet like Eric Davis and Barry Larkin.

That would really show the reds all times greats that they will always be number 1 and they would never be forgotten.It would also make the ballpark that much more special.What do you guys think??

paintmered
05-01-2007, 12:24 AM
They'd lose their advertising dollars from Jeff Wyler.

WVPacman
05-01-2007, 12:29 AM
I would rather put pics or images of the reds all time greats on the wall that the advertisments of Jeff Wyler.

paintmered
05-01-2007, 12:33 AM
Who is Jeff Wyler??

1. Owner of a prominent Cincinnati auto dealership that pays for advertising on the outfield wall of GABP.

2. Chairman of the University of Cincinnati Board of Trustees.

Basically, the Reds use the outfield wall to generate revenue. They aren't going to give that up for the sake of aesthetics (although I wish they would).

WVPacman
05-01-2007, 12:39 AM
1. Owner of a prominent Cincinnati auto dealership that pays for advertising on the outfield wall of GABP.

Basically, the Reds use the outfield wall to generate revenue. They aren't going to give that up for the sake of aesthetics (although I wish they would).

Maybe the reds and this Jeff Wyler guy could work something out.I mean what would you rather have out there on a wall Paint!! Reds all time greats or just some silly advertisements??They could put his advertisements some where else in the ballpark.The reds and Jeff Wyler could set down and work something out.
;)

macro
05-01-2007, 12:41 AM
Guys I don't know why but I have been thinking about this for the last two days.You know how the Dodgers and I think Braves have pictures of their all time greats all over their outfield wall.Why can't we do that?? I mean that would be a great tribute to all of our all time greats that played for the reds.They could put some players thats jersey is already retired in the stadium AND they could put some great ones that hav'nt had their jerseys retired yet like Eric Davis and Barry Larkin.

That would really show the reds all times greats that they will always be number 1 and they would never be forgotten.It would also make the ballpark that much more special.What do you guys think??

I've been thinking the exact same thing! Unfortunately, I think paint is right. If it's going to come at the expense of dollars, they probably won't do it. I wonder how much money the ads bring in, anyway?

Razor Shines
05-01-2007, 12:44 AM
Maybe the reds and this Jeff Wyler guy could work something out.I mean what would you rather have out there on a wall Paint!! Reds all time greats or just some silly advertisements??They could put his advertisements some where else in the ballpark.The reds and Jeff Wyler could set down and work something out.
;)

Yeah that would be nice but the Reds are a small time franchise that need every bit of revenue they can get. They could mow Jeff Wyler's face into the outfield grass for all I care, as long as B Cast is going to use the money to help the Reds put a good product on the field.

WVPacman
05-01-2007, 12:49 AM
I've been thinking the exact same thing! Unfortunately, I think paint is right. If it's going to come at the expense of dollars, they probably won't do it. I wonder how much money the ads bring in, anyway?

Macro,I don't have a clue how much money his ads bring in but the reds and Wyler should sit down and see what they can agree on.I mean like I said in my last post they could put his ads anywhere else in the ball park so they could be noticed.I really think they need to do this on the wall thow b/c that would represent our all time greats and would put a special touch to the park.I would love to see it happen.

Chip R
05-01-2007, 12:55 AM
It's a nice idea but wouldn't it be sort of unoriginal? Do we really need another shrine to the BRM? Because that's what it would be. We have a wonderful HOF and museum. There are statues out front, 2 murals inside the front gate, concession areas named after former Reds greats and retired numbers under the broadcast booth. How much is too much?

WVPacman
05-01-2007, 01:03 AM
Chip,my honest opinion is you can never go to far or never have to much in a ballpark.A ball park exspecially one in the majors is suppose to be something special,I mean don't get me wrong the reds ball park is already very special with all the great stuff.IMO thow you can never have to much in the reds ball park b/c its a major league ball park and every team in the bigs are always looking for something new to show every baseball fan that thieir park is reall special.

dougdirt
05-01-2007, 01:21 AM
Macro,I don't have a clue how much money his ads bring in but the reds and Wyler should sit down and see what they can agree on.I mean like I said in my last post they could put his ads anywhere else in the ball park so they could be noticed.I really think they need to do this on the wall thow b/c that would represent our all time greats and would put a special touch to the park.I would love to see it happen.

I think the Reds advertise just about everywhere they can and lets be honest, there is no place other than the name of the park that gets as much advertisement time as the outfield walls. Anytime a highlight is shown in the outfield, there it is on national tv. 145 games on FSN Ohio. You cant get that type of advertisement anywhere else in the park. Its not just Jeff Wyler out there though, there are probably 6 or 7 companies with ads on the wall.

mth123
05-01-2007, 06:40 AM
How about an outfield wall that says "the Greats in Reds history, brought to you by Jeff Wyler Chevrolet" (or whatever type of cars he sells) then you get to the pics of the the players.

You could probably help the revenue by adding something like "learn more at the Reds Hall of Fame ..." somewhere on that wall as well.

You get your cake and eat it too.

REDREAD
05-01-2007, 09:00 AM

Yes, it always comes down to maximizing the generation of cash for this team, and cutting expenses. The whole GAB reflects that.

Yachtzee
05-01-2007, 09:09 AM
How about an outfield wall that says "the Greats in Reds history, brought to you by Jeff Wyler Chevrolet" (or whatever type of cars he sells) then you get to the pics of the the players.

You could probably help the revenue by adding something like "learn more at the Reds Hall of Fame ..." somewhere on that wall as well.

You get your cake and eat it too.

I think it's a pretty slick idea. It may not be original, but I think it's an opportunity to expand fans' knowledge of Reds greats beyond the BRM as well. For example, I remember when the Dodgers first started putting their past greats on the outfield wall, I'd never heard of Junior Gilliam. Seeing him on the outfield wall piqued my interest and so I later looked him up and learned more about his career. I love tributes to history at the ballpark. I would put a rowboat beyond the outfield fence to honor Lee Grissom's pleasure cruise over the outfield wall of Crosley Field in 1937. But of course I love baseball history, so there can never be too much in my mind. Well, maybe I don't really want to see cup holders honoring Paul Householder. :)

And maybe putting the visages of Bucky Walters and Paul Derringer by the bullpen will cause the relievers to channel some good pitching.

Redsland
05-01-2007, 10:09 AM
I would rather put pics or images of the reds all time greats on the wall that the advertisments of Jeff Wyler.
Perhaps they could put up images of all-time Reds greats getting 0% financing with approved credit and no money down from Jeff Wyler. Bad credit? No credit? That's never a problem when you're a former Reds great with Jeff Wyler.

:)

westofyou
05-01-2007, 10:14 AM
Originally Posted by WVPacman View Post

I wish the Reds owned their stadium outright and all the parking that surrounds the stadium, and averaged over 3 million people a year in the seats, then just then they could not worry about signage as an income stream.

But then again if wishes were horses we'd all be riding.

westofyou
05-01-2007, 10:17 AM
It's a nice idea but wouldn't it be sort of unoriginal? Do we really need another shrine to the BRM? Because that's what it would be.

Let's just cut their image in the grass with a giant sign beneath it that says... "This is your past, love it, treasure it, move on."

acredsfan
05-01-2007, 10:33 AM
More than anything, this thread has got me thinking about what would have been done differently with the construction of the park had BCast and Co. been in charge. With their focus on "the power of tradition", maybe the outfield wall would have been an option. I have a feeling the stadium would have a completely different look and feel also. It seems to me that the new ownership is more interested in being fan friendly than the previous, and it shows by what they are trying to do with what they have. The newest thing being the riverboat suite above the batters eye. Last year they added the frontgate suite or whatever it is called. I would imagine that GABP would have been much more than it is now. Just my opinion though, and there is no way to prove it.

redsmetz
05-01-2007, 10:45 AM
The truth is, it's not just about fans seeing the ads while at the ballpark. Anyone's ad showing up on the highlight films, whether a national company or a local company - that is huge exposure. And that's why folks pay for it. And every bit of money helps make this a better club.

westofyou
05-01-2007, 10:53 AM
The truth is, it's not just about fans seeing the ads while at the ballpark. Anyone's ad showing up on the highlight films, whether a national company or a local company - that is huge exposure. And that's why folks pay for it. And every bit of money helps make this a better club.

Which is something that the prior regimes didn't address fully. Marge even went as far as kicking out all other automobile advertisers except for her own companies. Then she would cut sweetheart deals and delay payment to the Reds from the other end until the last moment, thus keeping operating cash for the team in a non team account until the other Limiteds demanded that she pay the bill.

Good times...

bucksfan2
05-01-2007, 10:57 AM
I have long been a critic of the in the field of play advertising. This is a major league ball park not a classified page. Personally I think its busch league to have adds cover the entire playing field. Last year I was at a game and counted something like 18 adds between the foul poles. I would love to see them do something like what the braves and dodgers do with players on the wall or something to recognize the history of the reds. As it stands not the only places are just under press row and by the left field foul pole. Unfortunatly I dont think the good will that this will create exceeds the financial contribution that the adds on the outfield wall bring in.

Redsland
05-01-2007, 11:07 AM
Marge even went as far as kicking out all other automobile advertisers except for her own companies.
In Tom Browning's book, he talks about being a young player and finally being able to buy a car. So some local Buick dealer offers him a sweetheart deal, and Tom takes him up on it.

Marge was livid. Livid! Brownie thought she was going to trade him, cut him, or worse. In his defense, Tom claimed he knew Marge had a Chevy dealership, but didn't know she sold Buicks, too.

For my part, I wasn't sure why anyone would want a Buick.

westofyou
05-01-2007, 11:10 AM
In Tom Browning's book, he talks about being a young player and finally being able to buy a car. So some local Buick dealer offers him a sweetheart deal, and Tom takes him up on it.

Marge was livid. Livid! Brownie thought she was going to trade him, cut him, or worse. In his defense, Tom claimed he knew Marge had a Chevy dealership, but didn't know she sold Buicks, too. For my part, I wasn't sure why anyone would want a Buick.

Even better.

Eric Davis cut a deal with a local BMW dealer, ED would have free use of a car to drive around town and be seen in. Pretty low key personal advertising, a deal made by his agent. Well Marge was livid, she cut a deal with ED to get him driving around in one her cars... a Vette. The next winter when they were doing contract negotiations Marge tried to write in the cars cost against the money ED wanted for his next contract.

Chip R
05-01-2007, 11:28 AM

http://www.femalefirst.co.uk/images/Tiger_Woods.jpg

KronoRed
05-01-2007, 01:12 PM
http://www.femalefirst.co.uk/images/Tiger_Woods.jpg

You think he drives those cars? ;)

smith288
05-01-2007, 01:58 PM
Has anyone here bought anything from Wyler as a result of his wall adverts?

Heath
05-01-2007, 02:35 PM
Jeff Wyler is also listed as a limited partner in the the Castellini group of investors. He probably paid nothing for the ad.

Heath
05-01-2007, 02:37 PM

I had a 1995 Buick Regal GS Super Sport with a 3.8L supercharged V6. It had the Dynaride suspension and a steering wheel was a smooth steer.

It would tach at 1800-2000 RPM - and I'd be doing 80. It got great gas mileage and it was a scooter.

It died badly. My wife, who went reaching for her purse, took the steering wheel into a guardrail at 55 mph. Thankfully she was fine, the car was totaled.

TeamBoone
05-01-2007, 04:12 PM
Guys I don't know why but I have been thinking about this for the last two days.You know how the Dodgers and I think Braves have pictures of their all time greats all over their outfield wall.Why can't we do that??

I couldn't agree more. I even mentioned it when they were building the GAB.

I absolutely love it and always have.

I hate the advertising that now graces the walls of the GAB. I mention it every time I go to the park, much to the chagrin of TeamMorris who I'm sure is sick of hearing it.

It reminds of what they do in the minor leagues and, IMHO, should have no place in the majors. I'm not against advertising because I know it contributes big time in paying the bills, just not on the OF walls.

WVPacman
05-01-2007, 11:26 PM
I couldn't agree more. I even mentioned it when they were building the GAB.

I absolutely love it and always have.

I hate the advertising that now graces the walls of the GAB. I mention it every time I go to the park, much to the chagrin of TeamMorris who I'm sure is sick of hearing it.

It reminds of what they do in the minor leagues and, IMHO, should have no place in the majors. I'm not against advertising because I know it contributes big time in paying the bills, just not on the OF walls.

I think the ads just ruin the looks of the reds park,like bucksfan said This is a major league ball park not a classified page.A major league ball park is suppose to be something really special for the team,players BUT exspecially the fans.When fans come to a reds game they want to see the past and present history of the team not a bunch of ads on a wall.If the two sides would sit down at the table I know that would work something out so both partys would be happy.

Heath
05-01-2007, 11:37 PM
I think the ads just ruin the looks of the reds park,like bucksfan said This is a major league ball park not a classified page.A major league ball park is suppose to be something really special for the team,players BUT exspecially the fans.

Don't tell Powell Crosley, Bill DeWitt, or Bob Howsam that -

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/1/18/CrosleyField1968.jpg/502px-CrosleyField1968.jpg

WVPacman
05-01-2007, 11:44 PM

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/1/18/CrosleyField1968.jpg/502px-CrosleyField1968.jpg

My lips our sealed but my typing finger is another story

:laugh: ;)

butlerbulldogs
05-01-2007, 11:44 PM
I think the ads just ruin the looks of the reds park,like bucksfan said This is a major league ball park not a classified page.A major league ball park is suppose to be something really special for the team,players BUT exspecially the fans.When fans come to a reds game they want to see the past and present history of the team not a bunch of ads on a wall.If the two sides would sit down at the table I know that would work something out so both partys would be happy.

I really could care less about the ads, am i less of a fan? I actually don't even think about the past at the park, i want to see the current reds win a game, if i wanted to see the past i would read the History of Baseball or go to the reds hall of fame museum or make the trek to Cooperstown...aren't there more important things to worry about than ads on a wall??

Yachtzee
05-01-2007, 11:50 PM

I love those old pics of Crosley Field. That's a sweet car ad on the scoreboard. Where can I get one of those?

Heath
05-02-2007, 12:22 AM
I love those old pics of Crosley Field. That's a sweet car ad on the scoreboard. Where can I get one of those?

The sweet car looks like a '68 Pontiac GTO. You can find those on ebay.

Pictures of Crosley Field are available by typing "Crosley Field" in Google images.

That picture? It's a wikipedia thing.

KronoRed
05-02-2007, 01:18 AM
That's I-75 right there, homeruns hit onto the expressway..wish I could have seen that :D

westofyou
05-02-2007, 09:20 AM
A major league ball park is suppose to be something really special for the team,players BUT exspecially the fans.

It's a business, the hall of fame is next door.... I personally want the Reds to make money for the team on the field, not massage my "remember when" synapses.

Yachtzee
05-02-2007, 09:34 AM
It's a business, the hall of fame is next door.... I personally want the Reds to make money for the team on the field, not massage my "remember when" synapses.

I'm cool with that. I think it's a balance though, because you want to make the ballpark experience inviting for fans, and part of that is atmosphere. A heavy hand with the advertising can turn some people off. I like the idea of doing something similar to what the Dodgers and Braves do, but using it as a marketing opportunity. Maybe it sounds a little money-grubbing, but I think the Reds' history isn't just historical fact. I think it could be a marketable asset as well.

westofyou
05-02-2007, 09:38 AM
I like the idea of doing something similar to what the Dodgers and Braves do, but using it as a marketing opportunity.

But BOTH own their park outright, both are HUGE regional teams and well, the Reds are well... the Reds.

westofyou
05-02-2007, 09:49 AM
Speaking of the past... here's a Daugherty Blog entry that speaks some truth

KRAP in Cincinnati

Why do we celebrate a 29-year-old sitcom?

The first season of WKRP is released on DVD and we here in Rubetown act as if Broadway just moved to Fountain Square. Does Dallas celebrate "Dallas''? Nope. Dallas has better things to do. Does New York break out in spontaneous revelry on the anniversary of NYPD Blue? Honey, I Love Lucy just came out in boxed set!

Does Milwaukee fete LaVerne and Shirley? Yeah, probably. Do we want to be Milwaukee?

This is so Cincinnati. We have nothing going on, so we spend time honoring a TV show that lasted 4 years and was filmed on a sound stage in California. We'd rather look back than ahead.

This is why the Reds ballpark is on the river instead of at Broadway, why Main Street is withering, why Jefferson Hall is in Newport, why The Banks remains more of a punchline than a reality and why the '90 wire-to-wire Reds are a footnote in the book of Big Red Machine.

Bootsy Collins might be a heck of a fella. But the guy is so yesterday, he needs a time machine to get to 1985. We love him.

And so on. Look, I like living here. Been here 19 years. Had chances to leave. Great place to raise kids, easy place to live. But until we start trusting the future instead of worshipping the past, we'll lag. Celebrate a DVD release of a 29-year-old has-been sitcom? Cut the KRAP.

http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs/daugherty/

Yachtzee
05-02-2007, 11:12 AM
But BOTH own their park outright, both are HUGE regional teams and well, the Reds are well... the Reds.

No reason why the Reds can't be a huge regional team in the future. Cleveland isn't much bigger than Cincinnati, but I definitely get the impression that the Indians view themselves as more of a regional draw and market themselves accordingly. They not only started their own sports channel, but they've got games back on broadcast tv (for both the people who can't afford cable and in HD for those who like their HD reception over the air). Thing big and grow. Think small, stay small. It's thinking small that got the Reds in the position they are in the first place. Remember, it was Marge Schott who refused to acknowledge past Reds teams because she wanted the focus to be on the current team. Too bad her focus on the present caused her to destroy the future.

The Reds need to play every angle they have to their advantage, and their history is a good angle to play. A successful marketing and branding strategy goes beyond just selling ads on the outfield fence.

There's a difference between honoring the past and dwelling on it. I don't think displays that celebrate past ball players dwells on it. If you want to avoid dwelling on the past, at least in the Reds case, I think a shake up in your radio and TV partners might be in order. From my perspective, that's where you get a lot of the dwelling.

Eric_Davis
05-02-2007, 02:38 PM
I like advertisements on outfield walls. It's a tradtion that I relish. Pass the hotdogs, Wilma. ...and the Coco-Cola.

Eric_Davis
05-02-2007, 02:42 PM
I envy the people around Cincinnati. You have some of the greatest Theme Parks in the world a short distance away.

Here in Portland? We have to drive at least half a frickin' day to get to one....and so, we just don't go. We have to fly and spend a zillion dollars and plan a vacation,...etc...etc...etc.

Eric_Davis
05-02-2007, 02:43 PM

That's awesome...I love those signs and ads.

westofyou
05-02-2007, 02:59 PM
I envy the people around Cincinnati. You have some of the greatest Theme Parks in the world a short distance away.

Here in Portland? We have to drive at least half a frickin' day to get to one....and so, we just don't go. We have to fly and spend a zillion dollars and plan a vacation,...etc...etc...etc.

Mountains, ocean and desert... I personally like them more the Kings Island (which I went to for the zillionth time last summer) I take it you've never had the pleasure to go to Lasordsville.

dabvu2498
05-02-2007, 03:13 PM
Mountains, ocean and desert... I personally like them more the Kings Island (which I went to for the zillionth time last summer) I take it you've never had the pleasure to go to Lasordsville.

Lasordsville... hahaha!!! Both Americana and Fantasy Farm are closed now. Replace with an RV sales and service center and a go-kart track.

The lake is still back there. Rumors are of 30-40 lb carp patrolling its waters. That is a big, nasty fish.