PDA

View Full Version : Rick Sutcliffe is the dumbest man alive

TRF
05-01-2007, 03:21 PM
So, I was watching part of the Cards/Brewers monday night when the Cards pitcher, I think it was Wells balked in a run.

But let me set this up better.

First as Wells is facing Kevin Mench, Sutcliffe was all over him about his pitching. Talking about wasted pitches. Now I am thinking at some point he'll mention Hancock and the effect his death must have had on the staff, but nope. not a peep. Mench singles, and advances to second on the throwing error. Now you figure he might temper himself here, but no. he's all over him for making the throw.

Then Mench steals third. The Cards heads are not in this game at all. WHICH IS FREAKING NORMAL!!!

Then come the Balk. Sutcliffe is all over him for this. He says, and I am paraphrasing a little here "... There is no reason for a major league pitcher to lose focus like that. You have to be aware of the situation... blah blah blah."

I had to turn the game off after that. Rick Sutcliffe was more interested in hearing himself speak, than he was in sounding intelligent. He wants to show his knowledge of pitching, but he ignored the larger picture. His broadcast partner was uncomfortably silent at this point.

Perhaps later, he was better, but for a good 5 minutes his insensitivity and myopic focus forced me to change the channel.

Big picture Rick. It's ok to step back once in a while.

RedsFan75
05-01-2007, 03:28 PM
Naw, he wasn't better later...

TRF
05-01-2007, 03:44 PM
I kind of figured.

I'd take 10 George Grande's before one Rick Sutcliffe.

Worst TV announcer ever in my book.

MaineRed
05-01-2007, 03:46 PM
I agreed with the thread title before even hearing this story.

Yachtzee
05-01-2007, 03:51 PM
Didn't he show up drunk in the Padres booth during a broadcast?

BRM
05-01-2007, 03:52 PM
I agreed with the thread title before even hearing this story.

Same here.

Roy Tucker
05-01-2007, 03:53 PM
Rick Sutcliffe is the dumbest man alive

That's saying a lot.

TRF
05-01-2007, 03:59 PM
Roy, if you heard him speak during that game, you would have been offended. For that moment in time, He was the dumbest man I had ever heard speak.

Reds Fanatic
05-01-2007, 04:09 PM
Didn't he show up drunk in the Padres booth during a broadcast?
Yes he did last year. He probably made more sense drunk than he does when he is sober.

klw
05-01-2007, 04:37 PM
I have no idea if the man is dumb but when I was a kid I thought that funky thing he did with his wrist in the pitching motion was kinda cool

Strikes Out Looking
05-01-2007, 05:03 PM
Somewhere Tim McCarver is smiling:)

creek14
05-01-2007, 07:42 PM
So back when I lived in Chicago and was active in the singles scene, Rick's nickname was "Sucklips". And IIRC, he wasn't single at that time.

TRF
05-02-2007, 10:02 AM
So back when I lived in Chicago and was active in the singles scene, Rick's nickname was "Sucklips". And IIRC, he wasn't single at that time.

ok, i just threw up a little in my mouth.

savafan
05-02-2007, 10:16 AM
I had to turn the game off after that. Rick Sutcliffe was more interested in hearing himself speak, than he was in sounding intelligent. He wants to show his knowledge of pitching, but he ignored the larger picture. His broadcast partner was uncomfortably silent at this point.

Couldn't agree more. FWIW, his broadcast partner did step in right there and talk about how the Cardinal players' heads probably weren't in the game after Hancock's passing, and Sutcliffe said that was no excuse. I too turned it off after that. I was pretty offended at that type of broadcasting in light of what had happened, and I'm virtually unoffendable.

OldXOhio
05-02-2007, 11:03 AM
That's saying a lot.

Sutcliffe says a lot too. A whole lot. That's part of the problem. As the original poster correctly pointed out, he often talks at length, seemingly to hear himself speak. I turned him off years ago.