PDA

View Full Version : My dad met Don Gullett.

cjtenn28
05-01-2007, 11:01 PM
Kinda cool for my dad. He is a huge Reds fan. Yesterday, he went to meet with a man that he was interested in buying his boat for sale in the paper. It turns out that the man was Bill Gullett, Don's brother. When my dad went to his house to look at the boat, Don was there. They set and talked for a few hours about the Reds, fishing, hunting. Dad asked Don about his view of the current Reds and he said that Milton is struggling so bad becuase he is trying to pitch like he did when he was in his early 20's and that he will not change from that style. Also had good things to say about Dave Miley. Kinda funny, he said that he would consider going to the Reds, if they changed their front office first. Had some disturbing things to say about Larkin and Griffey in the club house. I will leave that to that.

I always liked Don Gullett and what he meant to the Reds, especially to the Big Red Machine. He and my dad are actually going fishing together. Also, is signing some balls for my 5 year old, another huge Reds fan.

Eric_Davis
05-01-2007, 11:09 PM
That's pretty cool.

I always remember the Game-of-the-Week when Garigiola was commenting about Gullett pitching. I think it was Curt Gowdy that said, "Gullet keeps a simple philosophy. If you can't get on, you can't score. He just seems to keep runners off base."

Grounds_Crew
05-01-2007, 11:09 PM
Why not tell the story's about Junior and Larking? I mean, if he felt like sharing then it can't be that bad? Spit it out .... !

macro
05-01-2007, 11:21 PM
Yeah, c'mon and tell us. What are these "disturbing" things? No one here will say a word to anyone. :)

Redsman14
05-02-2007, 12:03 AM
I know Don really well and I would guess that if he said something about Larkin and Junior it probably had something to do with when Jack McKeon(?? spelling) was let go. I know that Don and Jack were really close and the rumors were that they had something to do with Jack being let go. Just my opinion. When I talk to Don we rarely talk about the Reds even when he was coaching we rarely talked about them.

BuckU
05-02-2007, 11:43 AM
Had some disturbing things to say about Larkin and Griffey in the club house. I will leave that to that.

Why even bring this up if you are not willing to share? :bang:

Doro
05-02-2007, 01:48 PM
Don Gullet is a good guy and a good pitcher. However, why listen to a guy that during his time as pitching coach never developed a young quality pitcher? Sure he helped save a few careers to fill roles here and there but look at the strides the Reds have taken since then.

Degenerate39
05-02-2007, 01:51 PM
When I was still a baby Don Gullett came to the city I live in and he was signing autographs at the Holiday Inn I think. They put the picture of my dad holding me while getting an autograph from Gullett in the newspaper.

George Anderson
05-02-2007, 01:57 PM
Just last summer I had an umpiring partner who casually mentioned to me that his uncle was a guy who used pitch for the Reds by the name of Don Gullett. He asked me if I had ever heard of him :laugh:

It was kinda like asking a Dead Head if they knew who Jerry Garcia was.

jimbo
05-02-2007, 01:59 PM
Don Gullet is a good guy and a good pitcher. However, why listen to a guy that during his time as pitching coach never developed a young quality pitcher? Sure he helped save a few careers to fill roles here and there but look at the strides the Reds have taken since then.

In order to develop a quality young pitcher, you have to have something to work with first.