PDA

View Full Version : PTBNL Tab

camisadelgolf
05-03-2007, 02:54 AM
I'm trying to keep tab of the player to be named laters the Reds are owed and owe. Here are the ones I can recall:

PTBNL from Royals for Jason LaRue and cash
PTBNL from Atletics for David Shafer
PTBNL from Athletics for Chris Denorfia
future considerations from Rockies for Jon George
future considerations to Rockies for Sun-Woo Kim and cash
future considerations to Rockies for Gabriel Suarez
PTBNL to Athletics for Kirk Saarloos

If the Saarloos/Shafer trade looks weird, it's because both teams agreed to trade a PTBNL to each other. Does anyone have an additions or corrections?

Tornon
05-03-2007, 03:27 AM
Wasn't Shafer for Saarloos?

camisadelgolf
05-03-2007, 03:32 AM
Yes, but in addition to that, each time agreed to send a PTBNL. In other words, the Reds receive Saarloos and a PTBNL, and the Athletics receive Shafer and a PTBNL.

mth123
05-03-2007, 05:50 AM
I'm trying to keep tab of the player to be named laters the Reds are owed and owe. Here are the ones I can recall:

PTBNL from Atletics for David Shafer

If the Saarloos/Shafer trade looks weird, it's because both teams agreed to trade a PTBNL to each other. Does anyone have an additions or corrections?

This looks right, but we'll probably never find out about future considerations or how they get settled. I'm not sure any players will be involved. Since they all involve the Rockies, maybe a lesson in how to use the humidor.

KronoRed
05-03-2007, 08:37 AM
I always assumed "future considerations" was another way of saying cash.

camisadelgolf
05-03-2007, 08:44 AM

I wouldn't know, but I read that the received cash and Sun-Woo Kim from the Rockies in exchange for future considerations. I think it would be odd to trade cash for cash.

Joseph
05-03-2007, 10:54 AM
Is there a limit on how long a PTBNL tag can last? Do they have to settle within a calendar year? or by the end of the following season?

redsmetz
05-03-2007, 11:07 AM
Is there a limit on how long a PTBNL tag can last? Do they have to settle within a calendar year? or by the end of the following season?

I think it's six months.

KronoRed
05-03-2007, 01:10 PM
I think it would be odd to trade cash for cash.

Maybe it's Canadian bills :D

Gainesville Red
05-03-2007, 01:37 PM
I think it would be odd to trade for cash.

Dave Cash?

God, I'm all for experience, and "knowing how to play the game," but this is getting ridiculous.

What is it with Krivsky and old guys?;)

texasdave
05-03-2007, 01:51 PM
Dave Cash?

God, I'm all for experience, and "knowing how to play the game," but this is getting ridiculous.

What is it with Krivsky and old guys?;)

Dave Cash? That Whippersnapper! WK is trading for Norm Cash. He will bring just the right amount of 'old school' to this team. :)

Strikes Out Looking
05-03-2007, 02:49 PM

With LaRue's .098 batting average, I'm not sure the Reds are going to get much unless WK agreed to the player at the time the trade was made.

KySteveH
05-03-2007, 02:56 PM

1 year

Heath
05-03-2007, 03:52 PM
With LaRue's .098 batting average, I'm not sure the Reds are going to get much unless WK agreed to the player at the time the trade was made.

Maybe the PTBNL is the player originally traded for.

I think that happened to Wayne Krenchicki once.

redsmetz
05-03-2007, 03:55 PM
From ESPN's Transaction Primer

Player To Be Named Later
Quite often, you'll read that a player has been traded to another team for "a player to be named later."

There are two restrictions at work here. First, the transaction must be completed within six months. And second, the player named later can't have played in the same league as the team he's being traded to. That's why the player named later is almost always a minor leaguer.

And what if the teams can't agree on who that player will be? This happens rarely, but if no names are agreed upon initially, the clubs will agree on a price to paid in lieu of a player.

Sometimes, at the time of the deal the team receiving the player will provide the other club a list of minor leaguers, and later the club will have their pick of the players on that list. This list is negotiated at the time of the trade. In recent years, the Minnesota Twins lost Enrique Wilson this way. When it came time for Cleveland to make their choice, the Twins did what they could to "hide" Wilson, but the Indians found him anyway.

Finally, sometimes "Player to be named later" is used to trade players on the Disabled List, since it can be embarrassing for a club to trade for a guy who's on the DL.

kheidg-
05-03-2007, 11:24 PM
I think we get a PTBNL from TB for Harris as well.

KronoRed
05-04-2007, 01:58 AM
I'd rather have Harris back ;)

camisadelgolf
05-04-2007, 03:05 AM
I think we get a PTBNL from TB for Harris as well.

On March 29th, Baseball America said the Reds received cash considerations for Brendan Harris.

BRM
05-04-2007, 11:16 AM

That would be nice.

BuckU
05-04-2007, 04:05 PM

The Reds do have Harris back. His name is Jeff Keppinger and he is currently playing for Louisville

flyer85
05-04-2007, 04:06 PM
Castro is the reason Harris isn't around.

Juan is the gift that keeps on ginving.

camisadelgolf
07-01-2008, 09:04 AM

PTBNL from Athletics for David Shafer

The Reds received a $1 for Jason LaRue (which is also how much the Reds received for Chad Moeller when they traded him to the Dodgers). Jon George and Gabriel Suarez were actually traded for each other, but I don't know what the Rockies received, if anything, for Sun-Woo Kim and cash; probably nothing. The PTBNL for Denorfia, in addition to Marcus McBeth and a few million dollars, was Ben Jukich, who has been impressive in AA. The PsTBNL in the Shafer/Saarloos trade were Dan Denham--who the Reds have since released--and Julio Manon. Denham is pitching decently on Texas' AA team, and Manon is pitching well on Baltimore's AA team.

WVRed
07-01-2008, 10:50 AM

Actually, its Pile O'Cash:)