PDA

View Full Version : Milton At Minute Maid?

RedWilly
05-03-2007, 07:27 AM
I hope he can keep all those fly balls to center field and not left.

I would think there could be a way around having a flyball pitcher go in a park like this. Maybe get some guy off the street to try and last 4 or 5 innnings for us? :help:
Now watch when we go to LA he wont pitch at all.

BTW a winning record on this road trip would be HUGE

redsmetz
05-03-2007, 07:46 AM
For the Reds, he's only pitched one game at Minute Maid, back in 2005 - 5 ER's, it shows a 4.05 ERA, but I don't see how that can be possible when he's let up 5 earned runs. Eight hits - in his really lousy '05 season.

RedFanAlways1966
05-03-2007, 07:49 AM
Eric Milton's only had 1 start as a REDS player in Minute Maid Park (April 10, 2005). 3 home runs (Biggio, Bagwell & Ensberg) allowed in 4.1 innings pitched.

rotnoid
05-03-2007, 07:50 AM
A guy I work with suggested flip flopping Milton and Lohse, so that Milton went against Oswalt yesterday. His thinking was that against Oswalt, it was a lost cause anyway. I immediately disagreed being unwilling to write off any game, but in retrospect, maybe it wasn't such a terrible idea.

RedFanAlways1966
05-03-2007, 07:54 AM
Hopefully the "potent" REDS offense can give Milton more support than the 11 runs they have scored in the first 4 games he has started this season. That includes scoring just 1 run in each of the last two games Milton has started. As Marty would say, "That just ain't gettin' it done."

RedWilly
05-03-2007, 08:23 AM
A guy I work with suggested flip flopping Milton and Lohse, so that Milton went against Oswalt yesterday. His thinking was that against Oswalt, it was a lost cause anyway. I immediately disagreed being unwilling to write off any game, but in retrospect, maybe it wasn't such a terrible idea.

If your gonna write off a game you might as well pitch someone like Conine...... I heard he's a scrappy vet. Maybe he could scrap his way to a victory on the mound.

But Honestly your first thought was right on......dont send a message to the team that you arent trying as hard as you can to win every single game.

oneupper
05-03-2007, 08:28 AM
If your gonna write off a game you might as well pitch someone like Conine...... I heard he's a scrappy vet. Maybe he could scrap his way to a victory on the mound.

But Honestly your first thought was right on......dont send a message to the team that you arent trying as hard as you can to win every single game.

Problem is we get the same matchup (Lohse vs. Oswalt) on Monday at GABP.

RedWilly
05-03-2007, 08:30 AM
Problem is we get the same matchup (Lohse vs. Oswalt) on Monday at GABP.

So you agree we should throw a 'stros a curveball and pitch Conine Monday at GABP? :thumbup: lol

berryluther
05-03-2007, 08:31 AM
How many losses will it take before this guy is out of the rotation. You have a chance at a winning road trip and you throw Milton out there in the deciding game.

KronoRed
05-03-2007, 08:40 AM
How many losses will it take before this guy is out of the rotation. You have a chance at a winning road trip and you throw Milton out there in the deciding game.

He'll have to really be clubbed around in 3-5 starts before it's even discussed by the FO, for a 5th starter he hasn't been horrible.

Yet ;)

RedWilly
05-03-2007, 08:49 AM
He'll have to really be clubbed around in 3-5 starts before it's even discussed by the FO, for a 5th starter he hasn't been horrible.

Yet ;)

How badly Milton performs probably wont have anything to do with how long he lasts. He'll stay untill someone is ready to replace him. That someone seems to be doing pretty well in AAA.

Now, if Milton starts to perform wonderfully, then that obviously prolongs his stay. And no that doesnt mean we can root against him.
Yet :)

RedFanAlways1966
05-03-2007, 08:54 AM

Problem is it is also hard to win if you can only manage 1 run in a game. The REDS had a 1-0 win this year, but they are few and far between. Milton is far from good, but he has given the REDS a chance in every game he has started this year <runs and hides>.

RBA
05-03-2007, 09:31 AM
Milton will be fine today. I predict he goes at least 7 with less than 3 runs.

cincrazy
05-03-2007, 09:41 AM
Eric Milton hasn't been bad this season. He's actually been pretty decent for a #5 starter, and has given us a chance every time out. I want to see him out of the rotation as much as anyone because his ceiling obviously isn't high, but with that being said, if the offense could score for him, he'd be looking a lot better right now.

redsmetz
05-03-2007, 09:43 AM
Milton will be fine today. I predict he goes at least 7 with less than 3 runs.

Let's hope we give him some run support this time.

GAC
05-03-2007, 10:40 AM
I'm no Milton fan, but in his last 3 starts have not been disasters.

He gave up 3 ERs in his last start on April 27th, and 2 ERs on the 21st and 16th. And for the most part he has been keeping the ball in the park (3 Hrs total).

I've watched everyone of his starts, and other then the obvious "stinker" to start the season, he has also been the victim of some shoddy defense and poor decision-making on that field, BABIP unlucky, a BP screwing him in two of those starts (surprise, surprise), as well as not getting any offensive support. Milton has pitched as well as Harang has in a couple of his starts, yet he was able to get the wins because of offense. It could have been different.

All I'm saying is that if Milton can get us into the 6th inning, giving up 2-3 runs, and has us in the ballgame... which he has done for the most part... then that is all I ask. Just be ready to jerk his butt.

And when there are off days - Milton should be the one to miss a start.

redsmetz
05-03-2007, 10:44 AM

And that's what the convenient DL stint at the start of the season allowed us to do - put Milton painlessly in the 5th slot.

Redsland
05-03-2007, 10:57 AM
How many losses will it take before this guy is out of the rotation.
Last year Dave Williams got eight starts. The year before that, Wilson got nine. The year before that, Jimmy Haynes got five appearances and four starts. Milton has four starts going into today, so figure we'll know his fate in the next month or so.

BRM
05-03-2007, 11:02 AM
Reds are 4-4 on the road trip. Eric Milton goes tomorrow with a winning road trip riding on it.

:help:

redsmetz
05-03-2007, 11:06 AM
Last year Dave Williams got eight starts. The year before that, Wilson got nine. The year before that, Jimmy Haynes got five appearances and four starts. Milton has four starts going into today, so figure we'll know his fate in the next month or so.

Yeah, but Williams only had three good starts out of those eight. The rest were just awful. This year, as many of us keep saying, Milton has kept us in the game EVERY start. I keep saying, if we took his name off the record, everybody here would be doing handstands at the good pitching we've been getting from that unnamed 5th starter and what rotten luck he's had with no run support.

BRM
05-03-2007, 11:13 AM
Yeah, but Williams only had three good starts out of those eight. The rest were just awful. This year, as many of us keep saying, Milton has kept us in the game EVERY start. I keep saying, if we took his name off the record, everybody here would be doing handstands at the good pitching we've been getting from that unnamed 5th starter and what rotten luck he's had with no run support.

Maybe. I can almost garuantee you that people would still discuss how much he taxes the bullpen though. He's only thrown 21 innings in 4 starts. I do have to admit that for the little he does pitch, he hasn't gotten shelled.

rotnoid
05-03-2007, 11:23 AM
Maybe. I can almost garuantee you that people would still discuss how much he taxes the bullpen though. He's only thrown 21 innings in 4 starts. I do have to admit that for the little he does pitch, he hasn't gotten shelled.

So he's doing the fifth starter's job. I don't have time to pull comp stats for other #5 guys, but if we took away names and salaries, I'd guess Milton looks pretty good compared to other NL #5 starters. The painful part is knowing he's making so much money.

redsfan4445
05-03-2007, 11:39 AM
i hope he pitches decent so the Yankees will take him.. i know i can dream cant I??

steig
05-03-2007, 12:04 PM
i hope he pitches decent so the Yankees will take him.. i know i can dream cant I??

I keep dreaming about the Yankees taking him also. He could actually be half way decent in Yankee stadium. Left field and the power alley is deep and he will keep lefties out of the lineup so they can't benefit from the short right field wall.

I(heart)Freel
05-03-2007, 01:00 PM
I'm no Milton fan, but in his last 3 starts have not been disasters.

He gave up 3 ERs in his last start on April 27th, and 2 ERs on the 21st and 16th. And for the most part he has been keeping the ball in the park (3 Hrs total).

I've watched everyone of his starts, and other then the obvious "stinker" to start the season, he has also been the victim of some shoddy defense and poor decision-making on that field, BABIP unlucky, a BP screwing him in two of those starts (surprise, surprise), as well as not getting any offensive support. Milton has pitched as well as Harang has in a couple of his starts, yet he was able to get the wins because of offense. It could have been different.

All I'm saying is that if Milton can get us into the 6th inning, giving up 2-3 runs, and has us in the ballgame... which he has done for the most part... then that is all I ask. Just be ready to jerk his butt.

That's a little misleading since he didn't even pitch deep enough to qualify for wins in any of his starts except one this year.

LAST 7 GAMES
Date Opp W L SV IP HA ER BBA SO
04/08 PIT 0 1 0 5.2 10 4 1 6
04/16 MIL 0 1 0 5.0 3 2 2 4
04/21 PHI 0 1 0 6.0 6 2 0 1
04/27 PIT 0 1 0 4.1 6 3 2 2

He's coming back from "injury" so I understand the need to watch his pitch count, but I also suspect he got pulled every time with danger brewing. If someone comes on and strands Milton's runners, his numbers look a little better than they should.

But that said, I could sure go for a game like April 21 tonight. Couple earnies. Six strong. No walks.

Pleasepleasepleaseplease.

REDREAD
05-03-2007, 01:07 PM

He's going to be here at least until the end of July. The Reds will probably hope they can trade him in July to save about 4 million or so.

My guess is that he's here the entire season though. The Reds already spout rationalizations like "he's ok for a 5th starter".

Personally, I'd like to see Sarloos get a chance. He wouldn't be a star, but he'd be an upgrade.

Actually, I'm satisfied with this road trip, even if we end up 4-5, considering the tailspin we were in when the trip started. I've given up hope for winning the division. I'm hoping for .500ish play for the rest of the season so that the team is moderately interesting to watch. I think Coffey will bounce back and be a decent 7th or 8th inning guy. If they can get another somewhat reliable reliever (Santos is sliding into oblivion), this team will be fairly interesting to watch.

Redsland
05-03-2007, 01:17 PM
That's a little misleading since he didn't even pitch deep enough to qualify for wins in any of his starts except one this year.

LAST 7 GAMES
FYI, a starter needs to go five innings to qualify for a win. Milton has done that in three of his four starts. You may be thinking of the rule that requires six innings for a Quality Start.

AmarilloRed
05-03-2007, 01:22 PM
Milton will be here until Bailey is ready to take his spot, then the Reds will trade him for a bag of baseballs!:)

Jr's Boy
05-03-2007, 01:25 PM

Well for the million's he's making i'd march his butt out there every fifth day.

RedWilly
05-03-2007, 02:27 PM
I didnt want this to be "how long will milton last thread" since we've already had billions of those. (I counted)

Do we expect the deep center field to help him more than the VERY SHORT left field is going to hurt him? will it be a wash?

i expect more than a couple HR's that would be outs at any other park tonight.
Less than the # of outs we'll get from balls that would be HR's in other parks (if hit to center)

Redsland
05-03-2007, 03:04 PM
After looking at the hit charts for last night's starters, Berkman, Loretta, and Scott have each been vicitimized by the deep MinuteMaid CF dimensions, for a total of four flyouts on the season.

Meanwhile, Biggio and Lee have been flying out all around the Crawford Boxes. Milton can't let either of them pull the ball if he wants to keep them in the yard. Away, away, away.

maniem
05-03-2007, 03:59 PM
I have a feeling that Milton will either completely implode tonight or will pitch a gem, and by a gem, I mean 7 innings and 1 - 2 ER (by Milton's standards). Tonight could be the start that either begins his downward slide or gives the Reds "more" confidence to continue sending him out every 5th day. Again, I would be happy if he could pitch the way he has in his previous 4 starts, but I don't feel like we're going to see another average start tonight, it will be either really good or really bad...Here's hoping for the really good.:beerme:

GAC
05-03-2007, 08:22 PM

LAST 7 GAMES

Pitching 5 innings, which he did in 3 of his 4 starts, qualifies one for getting the win IF your BP can hold that lead. But all I am saying is that he hasn't been that bad. There have been some "intangibles" that don't show up in a boxscore, such as poor fielding, bad decisions in the field, and simply bad luck,that have hurt Milton this year.

He seems to consistently have a rough 1st inning, giving up the majority of his ERS (2-3), before settling down somewhat. But it costs him. But I will be glad once the guy is gone and we have someone viable to replace him. He has been a bust for the most part.