PDA

View Full Version : Bray

tomred
05-03-2007, 02:25 PM
Does anyone know what is going on with Bray and his rehab also about EZ and his rehab

Degenerate39
05-03-2007, 02:32 PM
I think I read some where that he has a broken finger so I don't know if he's even pitched or not. I can't wait for him to get back in the pen though I think he's got potential to be a decent closer.

Eric_Davis
05-03-2007, 02:43 PM
From Cincy Post....April 27th:

By C. Trent Rosecrans
Post staff reporter

ST. LOUIS - Last season at the All-Star break, Reds general manager Wayne Krivsky made the season's biggest trade in order to "fix" the Reds' ailing bullpen - sending former All-Star shortstop Felipe Lopez and former first-round draft picks Austin Kearns and Ryan Wagner to Washington for relievers Gary Majewski and Bill Bray among others.

Through 22 games this season, the Reds' bullpen is still ill and oozing runs, including two more in each of its two innings in Thursday's 7-5 loss to the Cardinals in the final game of the series in St. Louis. The Reds move on to Pittsburgh tonight.

Neither of the supposed saviors have pitched an inning for the Reds this season, as Majewski infamously came to Cincinnati with a troubled right shoulder and Bray suffered a broken finger in spring training. And there doesn't seem to be much help on the way.

Bray just resumed throwing on Monday and Majewski currently has an ERA of 8.00 at Class AAA Louisville, although before Thursday night's game he hadn't allowed a run in two outings since surrendering six runs in two-thirds of an inning last Friday.

Thursday, after Kyle Lohse went through his worst outing of the season, surrendering five runs and 11 hits in six innings, lefty Jon Coutlangus gave up a hit to the only batter he faced and was charged with a run. Todd Coffey gave up two hits in relief of Coutlangus and David Weathers, the team's closer, gave up a hit and a run in an inning of work.

Of the seven pitchers currently comprising the Reds' bullpen, all seven have given up at least a run in one of their last two outings. The team has gone from having the best bullpen ERA in the National League (1.72 on April 15) to having the worst (4.96 after Thursday's game).

"Our bullpen, the first week was the first week was the best in baseball? We're very capable of doing it again," Narron said, noting that the bullpen started the season without giving up a run in its first 14 2/3 innings of work this season.

That seems like a long time ago. In the series against the Cardinals, every inning started by a Reds reliever ended with a Cardinals run.

Neither Wednesday starter Bronson Arroyo nor Lohse left games with a lead against the Cardinals, but both pitched well enough to win, only to be let down by a combination of an overgenerous bullpen and anemic offense.

On Thursday, after the Reds jumped out to a 4-0 lead against Cardinals starter and former Red Randy Keisler, four Cardinal relievers combined to hold the Reds hitless in the final 5 2/3 innings.

Lohse's luck seemed to turn just as quickly. After rolling through the first four innings giving up only a run, he surrendered four in the fifth and another in the sixth.

"The whole time, I didn't feel like I made any mistakes over the middle of the plate, it was just that the ball was up and the good pitches I was making on the corner, they weren't chasing and they were balls," Lohse said. "I went from 0-2 to 2-2 or 3-2 real quick and that was just the kind of day it was."

But the bullpen's day was seemingly par for the course.

The Reds' Class AAA affiliate in Louisville is loaded with arms, but like the parent club, most of the good pitching is coming at the beginning of games. The Bats' starters entered Thursday night's game with an ERA of 2.08, while the bullpen's ERA is 4.56 and the team's record stands at 9-10 - sound familiar?

A short-term solution could be to bring top starting pitching prospect Homer Bailey and put him in the bullpen, like the Red Sox did with Jonathan Papelbon last season. Krivsky and Narron have quickly shot down that idea any time it's been brought up in the past, but maybe the shaky start this season could induce the club's brain trust to make another bold move.

With the current makeup of the bullpen, the Reds don't really have a change of pace, they mostly have a group of similar pitchers out of the bullpen.

"The one thing about our bullpen, especially from our right-handers, is that they basically have the same type stuff," Narron said. "There's not a real power guy down there, someone who's going to throw mid-90s."

Right now, the hardest thrower is Coffey, who can touch 93 or 94 on the radar gun.

"I'm talking about someone who can come in and blow some gas," Narron said.

In other words, the espresso to Coffey's decaf.

Bailey could be that guy, but the Reds want him to develop things other than his impressive fastball and become the top-of-the-rotation starter that everyone expects him to become.

Rule 5 pickup Jared Burton has a power arm, and a wicked slider to go with his fastball. But Burton has a grand total of 1/3 inning of major league experience and has been on the disabled list since April 8 with a strained left hamstring. He's currently on a rehab assignment with Louisville and has given up one run and six hits in six innings with the Bats.

Right-hander Brad Salmon impressed during spring training, and he has 2.16 ERA in eight appearances in Louisville.

Left-hander Jason Kershner (0.87 ERA) and right-hander Ricky Stone (1.69 ERA) have been the Bats' best relievers, but both are in their 30s and neither has produced much at the major league level.

Help doesn't seem to be on the way from the organization, so maybe another trade is in the works. Krivsky has been relatively quiet this season. Last season he acquired 36 players from the time he became general manager on Feb. 8 until the end of the season. This year, he has yet to make a trade since the beginning of training camp.

For now it looks as if the be- leaguered bullpen will be taking its shots in Pittsburgh without any changes.

"In this game, you're never as good as you think you are when things are going right," Narron said. "And you're never as bad when things are going against you."