PDA

View Full Version : Anyone questioning Jr. on the flyball to RF in the 1st?

44Magnum
05-04-2007, 10:00 AM
Maybe it's been addressed, but I thought I would ask since I haven't seen it.

TeamBoone
05-04-2007, 02:38 PM
It was addressed on the game thread, but I'll add.... people do make mistakes, even good ballplayers. Sometimes they misread a ball's trajectory... and often they misread a hundred other things. It happens, even to Josh Hamilton.

Always Red
05-04-2007, 03:15 PM
It was addressed on the game thread, but I'll add.... people do make mistakes, even good ballplayers. Sometimes they misread a ball's trajectory... and often they misread a hundred other things. It happens, even to Josh Hamilton.

yep, I agree. I don't have any criticism of Junior on that, nor really of Milty- so many flares and pops dropping in; very frustrating!

Junior is having problems stopping, once he gets running at full speed, that's pretty obvious.

durl
05-04-2007, 03:22 PM
It looked like the ball took an unexpected turn after it hit the turf. I don't have a problem with the way he handled the play.

Personally, in light of the bullpen's performance, I'm surprised anyone even mentioned that questionably-labelled error charged to Griffey.

Will M
05-04-2007, 04:58 PM
Pence's 'triple' off Lohse wednesday was a ball that could have been caught by a right fielder with better wheels. its sad but Griffey really is a DH.

flyer85
05-04-2007, 05:03 PM
It is what it is at this point. He ain't going to sprout a new set of wheels, as a Reds fan you'll have to deal with it for at least ~2 more years(injuries aside).

Razor Shines
05-04-2007, 05:07 PM
Pence's 'triple' off Lohse wednesday was a ball that could have been caught by a right fielder with better wheels. its sad but Griffey really is a DH.

I saw where you said that in another thread, which caused me to go look at that play on the DVR. I don't think most RFers would have caught that ball, it was a pretty good line drive. I think most would have been able to cut it off before it got to the wall, and even Jr. would have but I think he took a bad route and thought he could catch it instead of just trying to play it off the hop. But that's just MO.

Marc D
05-04-2007, 05:10 PM
JR's having a hard time adjusting to RF, to be kind about it imo. Trouble judging balls and an obvious lack of speed that may not show on the basepaths but sure has been out there. As someone else pointed out in the gamethread, I'm not sure he has a legit RF throwing arm either. I wish it weren't the case but he's just at the end of his career and there are some glaring weaknesses.

I don't think anyone would be talking about JR being old or at the end of his rope if he were a DH. He can still get up there slug and run the bases. 3-5 years of tread left on those tires as a DH (if he wanted to) imo.

WMR
05-04-2007, 05:12 PM
Dunn to 1st, JR to left, Hamilton to CF, Freel to RF

Razor Shines
05-04-2007, 05:20 PM
Dunn to 1st, JR to left, Hamilton to CF, Freel to RF

I like it. I don't think Dunn would let it happen though.

redsmetz
05-04-2007, 05:33 PM
You know, here's the irony - if this was still the days of no DH, we'd be lamenting his physically decline and his continued batting prowess. It would be what it is. He's not at a Willie Mays stage yet and I don't think he's at the Mickey Mantle stage either.

KronoRed
05-04-2007, 05:40 PM
I like it. I don't think Dunn would let it happen though.

If JR can be moved to RF then Dunn can go to 1st.

Redlegs
05-04-2007, 07:36 PM

Very true. Anyone who's played outfield can attest, playing center is totally different than playing right or left for the very reason you stated. If it can happen to Griff, it can happen to anyone.

paintmered
05-04-2007, 08:13 PM
Maybe it's been addressed, but I thought I would ask since I haven't seen it.

Per Boss, discussion about game events are to take place in the game threads, not in a separate thread.

No big deal, but try to keep this in mind for the future.