PDA

View Full Version : Old Pics of Reds MLB Styleguide

Jharb74
05-04-2007, 09:43 AM
I ran across this old MLB Styleguide from 1982. For those of you who don't know what a Styleguide is, it's roughly a comprehensive art guide. For instance, Disney will put out different Syleguides for their characters, like Mickey, Goofy, etc. They give them out to their licensees, that way their towel makers, action figure designers, bedding and sheet designers, all have the same look.

Now that you've had that dumb lesson, here are some scans showing the Reds "branding," and logo usage from 1982. I realize there have been 1,000 threads about ugly uniforms of the past, on here, but I'm posting this more for nostalgic /days before computer design reasons.

Notice that these logos had to be hand drawn/traced and reproduced. That's why there were fewer MLB licensed products back then. There were strict rules as to logo usage, and all logos had to be approved by MLB before you could produce your product. (The same as today) I've also added the Padres page, just because they are so ugly.

MrsHammer
05-04-2007, 09:51 AM
That's cool. Do any teams actually wear the stirrups anymore?

Those Padres uniforms definitely get my vote for ugliest uniforms ever. Brown and yellow...ummm....stylish! :p:

hebroncougar
05-04-2007, 09:59 AM
JHarb, are those on the net??? I can use those in an application I mess with with MLB uniforms.

RANDY IN INDY
05-04-2007, 10:00 AM
Do any teams actually wear the stirrups anymore?

Some individual players wear them, but there aren't any teams that wear them. The Reds should be the first to go back to them.

Jharb74
05-04-2007, 10:13 AM
JHarb, are those on the net??? I can use those in an application I mess with with MLB uniforms.

No, I had to scan those. Some of the pages are torn a little, and some are a little yellow. Some day I'll scan the whole thing and post them on here, when I get time. It's a real cool find.

Everyone I've shown has said "Wow, I forgot how ugly a lot of those uniforms were." Not to mention people saying how much it would stink to trace some of those old logos.

MrCinatit
05-04-2007, 10:50 AM
That's cool. Do any teams actually wear the stirrups anymore?

Those Padres uniforms definitely get my vote for ugliest uniforms ever. Brown and yellow...ummm....stylish! :p:

I would agree, if it were not for
A) The atrocity known as the Houston Astros "rainbow" uniform around the same period and
B) The Pirates uniforms in the late 1970s with the flat caps.

Even with that, didn't Cincinnati have a team in the 1890s which had a different uniform color according to what position the player played? A sick idea which fortunately never caught on. As was a Brooklyn Dodger experiment (I have no idea of the period) where they took the Yankees' striped uniforms a step forward, using what can best be described as graph paper made of cloth.
That said, the Padres uniforms easily make the top 10.

Oh, and great pictures, jharb

OesterPoster
05-04-2007, 11:14 AM
I would agree, if it were not for
A) The atrocity known as the Houston Astros "rainbow" uniform around the same period and
B) The Pirates uniforms in the late 1970s with the flat caps.

Even with that, didn't Cincinnati have a team in the 1890s which had a different uniform color according to what position the player played? A sick idea which fortunately never caught on. As was a Brooklyn Dodger experiment (I have no idea of the period) where they took the Yankees' striped uniforms a step forward, using what can best be described as graph paper made of cloth.
That said, the Padres uniforms easily make the top 10.

Oh, and great pictures, jharb

You can't have a discussion about ugly uniforms without those hideous pajamas version of the White Sox uniform in 1976...or the sad fact they wore shorts with 'em for one game of a doubleheader.

http://whitesoxinteractive.com/OldComiskey/embarass3.jpg

bounty37h
05-04-2007, 12:01 PM
Some individual players wear them, but there aren't any teams that wear them. The Reds should be the first to go back to them.

I miss them personally, as well as the pant leg pulled up to the knee's, even with a solid sock on under.

RedsBaron
05-04-2007, 12:11 PM

:thumbup:

WVJulz
05-04-2007, 12:39 PM

I have said this over and over again.....I HATE the trend of wearing uniform pants like sweat pants...when I see someone with stirupps showing, it looks so weird now. I remember when George Hendrick used to wear his pants like the players wear them now and it looked stupid back then, just as it looks now. Half of the players look like they crapped themselves. :thumbdown

Julz