PDA

View Full Version : At Least Stanton Cares...

mroby85
05-04-2007, 11:08 AM
you can say all you want about how he pitched last night, and ill be the first one to say he looked terrible, but he has an attitude that i wish some others on this team would have. they showed him in the dugout and he have a disgusted look, and looked like he felt horrible about letting the team down. The comparison that makes me bring this up is the night before, i don't know if anyone else saw this, but Adam Dunn hit a ground ball to first base to end the game, and they zoomed in on him, and he was walking back to the dugout with a big smile on his face. maybe it's just me, but i would think you should be more upset than that after you just lost the game.

rotnoid
05-04-2007, 11:15 AM
That's the difference between us and them. It's their job. Is everyone on here passionate about their job? Do we all get bent out of shape when we make a minor mistake? Probably not. If you cut grass for a living and miss a patch, are you going to throw a fit? Probably not. If I spell a word wrong in an email and look like a moron, am I going to be visibly upset? Absolutely not. If Adam Dunn grounds out to first to end the game, is it any different? Nope.

As fans we're passionate, and we should be, probably more passionate than the players themselves. It's the nature of the beast. If this was October, not May, do I expect to see more passion from the players? Maybe, but every day at our jobs isn't the seventh game of the World Series either.

mroby85
05-04-2007, 11:29 AM
That's the difference between us and them. It's their job. Is everyone on here passionate about their job? Do we all get bent out of shape when we make a minor mistake? Probably not. If you cut grass for a living and miss a patch, are you going to throw a fit? Probably not. If I spell a word wrong in an email and look like a moron, am I going to be visibly upset? Absolutely not. If Adam Dunn grounds out to first to end the game, is it any different? Nope.

As fans we're passionate, and we should be, probably more passionate than the players themselves. It's the nature of the beast. If this was October, not May, do I expect to see more passion from the players? Maybe, but every day at our jobs isn't the seventh game of the World Series either.

I don't think thats a normal comparison at all. playing baseball isn't the average job, and if you're any kind of competitor at all you get upset when you lose, but thats what seperates guys like dunn from guys like pujols, because the talent is there for both of them.

HumnHilghtFreel
05-04-2007, 11:47 AM
I've seen Dunn angry with himself plenty of times when he just misses a pitch. It's a long season, if a guy got mad at himself every time he grounded out, struck out, made an error through the course of the season, there'd be a lot more players in anger management sessions.

I don't think we can question Dunn's competitive edge, as none of us here know him(at least I don't think anyone here does). I'd rather have a guy that's going to have a clear head going into the next game or at bat than a guy that's beating himself up over what he did 2 innings ago.

mroby85
05-04-2007, 11:52 AM
I've seen Dunn angry with himself plenty of times when he just misses a pitch. It's a long season, if a guy got mad at himself every time he grounded out, struck out, made an error through the course of the season, there'd be a lot more players in anger management sessions.

I don't think we can question Dunn's competitive edge, as none of us here know him(at least I don't think anyone here does). I'd rather have a guy that's going to have a clear head going into the next game or at bat than a guy that's beating himself up over what he did 2 innings ago.

agreed, but im not asking for a fit, i just don't want to see him smiling either after they just lost the game.

rotnoid
05-04-2007, 11:55 AM
agreed, but im not asking for a fit, i just don't want to see him smiling either after they just lost the game.

The point is, what difference does it make? Smiling or crying, we have no idea what's going on in their heads. To expect passion is unrealistic, IMO. It's not required to be a great ballplayer. Does it help? I don't know. But, I, for one, am not interested in how much a guy beats himself up after losses.

redsmetz
05-04-2007, 12:18 PM
I didn't see it, but just to play devil's advocate - maybe his "smile" was more a look of chagrin, sort of "did that ever stink". Frankly, from I understand Griffey's was a torrid ball last night that closed the game - I'm not sure if you want to laugh or cry at that ending.

CTA513
05-04-2007, 12:27 PM
Dunn should have gotten all tough and punched Wheeler in the face after sawing him off, that would have shown how much he cared.

:thumbup:

coachw513
05-04-2007, 12:31 PM
Dunn should have gotten all tough and punched Wheeler in the face after sawing him off, that would have shown how much he cared.

:thumbup:

The perfect response :beerme:

RichRed
05-04-2007, 12:39 PM
If only Dunn had better body language instead of just being the team's best run producer.

westofyou
05-04-2007, 12:40 PM
Tony Womack had a great game face, but no game.. bet he cared too eh?

flyer85
05-04-2007, 12:41 PM
To paraphrase

"It is OK to fail miserably, as long as one does it the right way."

BRM
05-04-2007, 12:42 PM
If only Dunn had better body language instead of just being the team's best run producer.

Dunn is not a run producer. I've heard it said many times.

dsmith421
05-04-2007, 12:44 PM
Of all the reasons people have come up with in the past few years to bash Adam Dunn, this may be the stupidest.

Chip R
05-04-2007, 12:45 PM
Perhaps it was a grimace which looks like a smile.

guttle11
05-04-2007, 12:46 PM
Did he get his grapes and Capri Sun after the game?

rotnoid
05-04-2007, 12:46 PM
To paraphrase

It's little things like that that lead to playoff berths. ;)

rotnoid
05-04-2007, 12:48 PM

Grimace always smiles.

http://www.n-chicken.net/tomfoolery/grimace/grimace1.jpg

westofyou
05-04-2007, 12:48 PM
Grimace always smiles.

http://www.n-chicken.net/tomfoolery/grimace/grimace1.jpg

That's because of the fat content in his blood.

RichRed
05-04-2007, 12:49 PM
To paraphrase

Jim Brosnan talked about this sort of thing in 'The Long Season' all the way back in '59. Basically, no matter how you felt after a loss, you better act like somebody just died.

rotnoid
05-04-2007, 12:49 PM
That's because of the fat content in his blood.

So, what you're saying is Grimace is using performance enhancers?

mroby85
05-04-2007, 12:50 PM
it is shocking to me how you people twist threads on here. I said nothing about his reaction effecting his performance. It just bothers me when someone is laughing when their team just lost. that should upset them.

flyer85
05-04-2007, 12:51 PM
Jim Brosnan talked about this sort of thing in 'The Long Season' all the way back in '59. Basically, no matter how you felt after a loss, you better act like somebody just died."... there is no joy in Mudville"

RichRed
05-04-2007, 12:52 PM
it is shocking to me how you people twist threads on here. I said nothing about his reaction effecting his performance. It just bothers me when someone is laughing when their team just lost. that should upset them.

And you don't know that it didn't. None of us is a mindreader, no matter what the expression on a face seems to indicate.

flyer85
05-04-2007, 12:52 PM
their team just lost. that should upset them.with as many games as the Reds lose it would border on clinical depression.

mroby85
05-04-2007, 12:53 PM
And you don't know that it didn't. None of us is a mindreader, no matter what the expression on a face seems to indicate.

give me a break. if a guy is laughing its pretty obvious.

i do like your signature though, the office is a great show, lol.

westofyou
05-04-2007, 12:55 PM
Jim Brosnan talked about this sort of thing in 'The Long Season' all the way back in '59. Basically, no matter how you felt after a loss, you better act like somebody just died.

In my day players went into the clubhouse after a loss with murder in their hearts. they would have thrown any guy out on his neck if they had even suspected him of having the intentions of singing.

Bill Joyce 1916

BRM
05-04-2007, 01:00 PM
with as many games as the Reds lose it would border on clinical depression.

No doubt. The Reds would have to hire a couple of full time therapists to help the players cope with all the losing.

Chip R

Read your own post. You said he was smiling, not laughing. Which was it?

RichRed
i do like your signature though, the office is a great show, lol.

:)

Unfortunately, I think it's time to change the sig. I found a quote that's too good to pass up (speaking of Brosnan).

mroby85
05-04-2007, 01:04 PM
Read your own post. You said he was smiling, not laughing. Which was it?

he was laughing and smiling.

did no one else see this?

flyer85
05-04-2007, 01:10 PM
...off with his head. :scared:

Razor Shines
05-04-2007, 01:13 PM

If I remember correctly, it looked like he was reacting to something Hatcher said. So I say let's get rid of both of them, we can't have our first base coach trying to keep guys in good spirits after they make an out. And if Hatcher did make a joking comment to Dunn, Dunn's response should have been "Coach, this is not a laughing matter, we just lost a game and now we're not allowed to use the hot water in the showers."

mroby85
05-04-2007, 01:18 PM
If I remember correctly, it looked like he was reacting to something Hatcher said. So I say let's get rid of both of them, we can't have our first base coach trying to keep guys in good spirits after they make an out. And if Hatcher did make a joking comment to Dunn, Dunn's response should have been "Coach, this is not a laughing matter, we just lost a game and now we're not allowed to use the hot water in the showers."

once again things are being stretched. you just carried on a whole conversation that you didn't even hear, and another thing that was exaggerated, when did i say anything about getting rid of anyone? i just said that i think you should care more, and not be all jolly if you just lost the game.

Degenerate39
05-04-2007, 01:23 PM
Is this really about Stanton or another one of the Anti-Dunn threads?

mroby85
05-04-2007, 01:26 PM
this is about attitudes. it's not an anti-dunn thread, it's more of thread against not really caring when you come up short, and that goes for anyone as far as im concerned.

TeamBoone
05-04-2007, 01:27 PM
You can't possibly have any idea what he was smiling about. Perhaps someone made a joke about him missing the pitch as he walked off the field, or it could have been something else that made him smile.

I highly doubt he was smiling about his performance, and honestly, do you really think he was?

Razor Shines
05-04-2007, 01:29 PM
once again things are being stretched. you just carried on a whole conversation that you didn't even hear, and another thing that was exaggerated, when did i say anything about getting rid of anyone? i just said that i think you should care more, and not be all jolly if you just lost the game.

But if he's laughing at something Hatcher said, then who really has the problem here? Adam Dunn makes an out to end the game, Hatcher makes some, uncalled for, joking comment and Dunn laughs at it. Where's the source of this problem?

If I may jump in answer this question like I was asking myself: I'd say that the problem is with you for starting this thread. I really don't care if Dunn does cartwheels off the field after they lose. Just because Dunn was laughing and Stanton was sitting in the dugout with a disgusted look on his face does not mean that Stanton cares about winning more than Dunn does. Different people react to things different ways. I've seen Dunn get angry with himself and slam things, I don't think it means he was trying harder in those instances. I'm just saying that you're trying to read a little too much into things from two or three second clips of these guys on TV.

It reminds of last year when everybody said Jason LaRue had a bad attitude because they didn't see him give David Ross a high five after Ross hit a home run.

George Anderson
05-04-2007, 01:31 PM

Dunn smiling is worth noting but its hardly anything to lose sleep over let alone start a thread over.

westofyou
05-04-2007, 01:31 PM
It reminds of last year when everybody said Jason LaRue had a bad attitude because they didn't see him give David Ross a high five after Ross hit a home run.

Yep, it's great to be able to read minds... makes it easy if you want to date too.

George Anderson
05-04-2007, 01:33 PM
I'd say that the problem is with you for starting this thread.

Great minds think alike RK!! :thumbup:

mroby85
05-04-2007, 01:35 PM
You can't possibly have any idea what he was smiling about. Perhaps someone made a joke about him missing the pitch as he walked off the field, or it could have been something else that made him smile.

I highly doubt he was smiling about his performance, and honestly, do you really think he was?

you're right, but it was a time when he shouldn't be smiling. you may not know what someone is smiling about at a funeral either, but you know they shouldn't be smiling. i realize that is an extreme example, but it wasn't a time for joy.

TeamBoone
05-04-2007, 01:42 PM
No one said he was "joyous". But I honestly don't believe he was smiling because they just lost the game; it was surely because someone said something to him (Hatcher?). It could also been a sarcastic "smile" as a result of something that was said; there is such a thing you know.

Anyway, it's nit picking at its best. If the camera had been in the dugout, I'd be willing to bet that at least one of the players in there was smiling about something.

Chip R
05-04-2007, 01:44 PM

Ah. Your TV must have HD sound if you can actually hear him laughing. Where do you buy those at? Do they sell TVs that can let you hear what they are thinking as well?

rotnoid
05-04-2007, 01:51 PM
Ah. Your TV must have HD sound if you can actually hear him laughing. Where do you buy those at? Do they sell TVs that can let you hear what they are thinking as well?

The obvious response is to make some lame ESP HD one liner here, but I'm above tha...

Razor Shines
05-04-2007, 01:51 PM
well nm

membengal
05-04-2007, 01:59 PM
so, mroby, stanton's melt-down is cool with you, but coffey having a bad outing prompts calls from you for him to be whacked. Fascinating.

mroby85
05-04-2007, 02:29 PM
so, mroby, stanton's melt-down is cool with you, but coffey having a bad outing prompts calls from you for him to be whacked. Fascinating.

coffey had more than one bad outing, stanton has been pretty consistent so far on the year.

and you can tell if its a laugh or a smile based on the body movement and the way the mouth moves.

BRM
05-04-2007, 02:36 PM
coffey had more than one bad outing, stanton has been pretty consistent so far on the year.

and you can tell if its a laugh or a smile based on the body movement and the way the mouth moves.

Coffey has been "shelled" in two outings this year, same as Stanton. Stanton has gotten rocked in two of his last three outings. Coffey has had two other appearances where he allowed one run, Stanton has had one. I think the Coffey has been bad line is a little overblown.

Chip R
05-04-2007, 02:36 PM

Was he shaking like a bowlful of jelly?

mroby85
05-04-2007, 02:43 PM
Was he shaking like a bowlful of jelly?

there was movement, yes, lol.

mroby85
05-04-2007, 02:45 PM
Coffey has been "shelled" in two outings this year, same as Stanton. Stanton has gotten rocked in two of his last three outings. Coffey has had two other appearances where he allowed one run, Stanton has had one. I think the Coffey has been bad line is a little overblown.

i wasn't just referring to this year, i was also talking about last year. he isn't good during pressure situations. but once again, i've tried to refrain from ripping coffey, since i was warned, and people keep bringing it up.

Ltlabner
05-04-2007, 04:02 PM

If he frowns on the walk of shame back to the dougout, how exactly does that change the outcome of what just happened?

Ltlabner
05-04-2007, 04:04 PM

Maybe he just had dental surgery or botox and that was just the way his face was positioned?

Or perhaps it doesn't matter a witt whether he smiles, grimices or runs around like the villiage idiot?

WMR
05-04-2007, 04:06 PM
If the Reds want to give me a spot in the bully, I *SWEAR* to go Hulk Hogan on my jersey after every blown save.

nate
05-04-2007, 04:14 PM
Now we know the reason why the Joker never played baseball!

Ltlabner
05-04-2007, 04:15 PM
and he was walking back to the dugout with a big smile on his face.

you get upset when you lose,

i just don't want to see him smiling either .

. It just bothers me when someone is laughing .

and not be all jolly if you just lost the game.

but it wasn't a time for joy.

There is no room in baseball for such positive vibes. It ruins the game.

Serriously MRoby, who cares what facial gesture he makes in the 15 seconds it takes to walk from the plate to the dougout? How do you know he didn't go into the clubhouse and go ballistic on a locker or toliet in rage? Or that he went straight to the indoor batting cage and took 100 pitches? Or that he locked himself in an office with Brook Jacoby and reviewed the film of all of his at bats?

But as long as he looks "upset" you'd be happy? Talk about sizzle over steak.

I bet he ripped a big fart on one of those windmill swings of his and the catcher and ump were giving him greif over it.

If the Reds want to give me a spot in the bully, I *SWEAR* to go Hulk Hogan on my jersey after every blown save.

:laugh:

Highlifeman21
05-04-2007, 04:23 PM

There's a handful of horrible shots I've hit in tournaments where all I could do was smile, laugh at myself, or something similar.

I knew I hit a bad shot, but it was just that ridiculously bad where I was almost amused at how bad it was.

Maybe that was Dunn's reaction?

Maybe he was smiling that he was in his hometown and ended the game?

Who knows?

We're not Adam Dunn.

flyer85
05-04-2007, 04:28 PM
stanton has been pretty consistent so far on the year.except when he sucks. I guess there really just isn't any reason his ERA is 2+ higher than Coffey.

BuckWoody
05-04-2007, 04:44 PM
I've seen Dunn angry with himself plenty of times when he just misses a pitch. It's a long season, if a guy got mad at himself every time he grounded out, struck out, made an error through the course of the season, there'd be a lot more Paul O'Neill's in this league.
ftfy. ;)

No one could throw a hissy like Big O'Neill.

registerthis
05-04-2007, 04:50 PM
This thread sucks.

flyer85
05-04-2007, 04:52 PM
No one could throw a hissy like Big O'Neill.he was quite good at helmet punting.

I'm sure he could punt his helmet farther than Lou could throw a base (I miss those days).

KronoRed
05-04-2007, 05:34 PM
This thread sucks.

Always a smiley for the occasion
http://lastperson.suncircle.org/Smileys/default/Politics.gif

Redlegs
05-04-2007, 06:32 PM
The point is, what difference does it make? Smiling or crying, we have no idea what's going on in their heads. To expect passion is unrealistic, IMO. It's not required to be a great ballplayer. Does it help? I don't know. But, I, for one, am not interested in how much a guy beats himself up after losses.

Well, if he has a big smile on his face, chances are he's not down in the dumps.

As for your other point on passion, I think talent will take you so far. Everyone in the majors has talent. It's the guys who have heart to go with talent who often become great players. To expect passion is unrealistic? I don't think that's accurate. It's a matter of having more desire to win or less desire to win, IMO. While we don't know what's going on in their heads like you say, it's easy to see the guys that play with heart and passion.

GAC
05-05-2007, 09:31 AM
I have a lot in common with Stanton.... I'm old, I care too, and can't pitch. :lol:

KronoRed
05-05-2007, 01:16 PM
I have a lot in common with Stanton.... I'm old, I care too, and can't pitch. :lol:

Are you a lefty? if you are I'd be calling Kirvsky if I were you :D

Tom Servo
05-05-2007, 02:47 PM
Oh yeah, I'm absoulutely thrilled we have guys like Stanton who look mad when they suck. Truly that is the #1 barometer of intensity, attitude, and talent. I bet Cormier would just think about his favorite episode of The Simple Life and laugh when he sucked.