PDA

View Full Version : Cleveland Indians woo Woolner

jojo
05-04-2007, 06:37 PM
Keith Woolner announced today (http://baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=6187) that the Cleveland Indians have hired him away from Baseball Prospectus to become the Indian's Manager of Baseball Research and Analysis...

The Indians are arguably already the best run organisation in baseball and this only makes them stronger. They have developed an absolutely phenomenal and cutting edge database/forecasting system (think Pecota on hypersteroids and augmented with huge scouting efforts) under the guidance of assistant GM Chris Antonetti and now adding one of sabermetrics leading researchers (woolner developed the concept of replacement level) to oversee it should allow them to continue to leverage this unique resource to it's fullest.

IMHO, Cleveland serves as the salt of the earth relative to the Reds organisation (i.e. a damning contrast to the Reds). The Indians are about ten years ahead of where the Reds need to be. Whether or not Krivsky can get the Reds there remains to be seen. In any event, Castellini and Co have the perfect model for how they should be doing things just a few miles north....

westofyou
05-04-2007, 06:41 PM
Good for Keith and others like him everywhere.

Yachtzee
05-04-2007, 08:47 PM
Mark Shapiro does run a great program. I've seen him talk a few times and he always had a clear idea of where the Indians are and where they're going. Living near Akron and going to Aeros games, it amazes me how every year Akron seems stocked with talent.