PDA

View Full Version : Josh Hamilton after this season

storrs19
05-07-2007, 09:58 AM
What exactly happens with Josh Hamilton after this season? I mean how does his contract status work out after the rule 5 thing? Also, is anyone worried that if he continues on his sensational parade that the Reds will be too cheap to sign him and we will lose him to a team with more money (or at least one who spends it better). When I think of what we have tied up in Dunn, Junior and Milton I get sick :(

Red Leader
05-07-2007, 10:00 AM
Hamilton is under our control for quite some time. This is his first year in MLB. I believe he has two more years until he is actually arbitration eligible, unless he qualifies as a "Super Two."

Regardless, he'll be a Red for at least 5 more years.

Puffy
05-07-2007, 10:00 AM
Does he have options - cause we should send him to the minors if he has options.

UK Reds Fan
05-07-2007, 10:02 AM
He is just like Encarncion was last year. First year player and the MLB clock starts ticking towared year 5 where free agency looms.

Josh will be very cheap for the next 3 years and then arbitration and then free agency. He is no different than any other rookie in baseball today.

RFS62
05-07-2007, 10:04 AM
Does he have options - cause we should send him to the minors if he has options.

Pipe down there, Steve Phillips

Joseph
05-07-2007, 10:04 AM

Can we re-work his contract though, cause if we could we could stop the arbitration clock and pay him only minor league meal money too.

Is that right?

;)

Puffy
05-07-2007, 10:05 AM
Pipe down there, Steve Phillips

Don't tell me what to do Grandpa.

Now, take your walker and go stand on some street corner and wait for some boy scout to walk you across the street.

RFS62
05-07-2007, 10:22 AM
Don't tell me what to do Grandpa.

Now, take your walker and go stand on some street corner and wait for some boy scout to walk you across the street.

I would, but I'm waiting on your mama.

Chip R
05-07-2007, 10:57 AM
So what happens to Josh after the season? While at times he appears to be a finished product he has a few rough edges. Do you just send him back home like a veteran player or do you have him play winter ball somewhere or even the AFL?

5DOLLAR-BLEACHERBUM
05-07-2007, 11:02 AM
So what happens to Josh after the season? While at times he appears to be a finished product he has a few rough edges. Do you just send him back home like a veteran player or do you have him play winter ball somewhere or even the AFL?
I would say it depends on how the seasonb goes. If Narron doesn't run him into the ground I would say winter ball would help him alot. With what this kid has been through in life I would say he is more than happy to stay busy at all times.

Redsland
05-07-2007, 11:28 AM
Because Josh is a Rule 5 draftee, he has to stay on the major league roster all year (or spend at least 90 days on it and the rest of the season on the DL).

After the year is over, the Reds are free to treat him like any other player.

Because he's been suspended for about four years, Josh still has all three of his options remaining, so the Reds could send him down after this season if they wish.

Because this is his first year in the majors, the Reds hold his rights for this season and the five that follow it.

After Josh accumulates about three years of major league service time, he'll be eligible for salary arbitration. Until then, the Reds can renew his contract each season for any amount the team wishes. (Major league minimum salary for this season is $380,000, rising to $390,000 next year and $400,000 in '09.)

Always Red
05-07-2007, 11:38 AM
I would, but I'm waiting on your mama.

Hey, quit using that fake screen name, oldtimer...:D

Wheelhouse
05-07-2007, 12:41 PM
If Josh stays on the ML roster all season then he property of the Reds as if he had come up through the Reds system.