PDA

View Full Version : Fay: Season on the Brink?

KoryMac5
05-08-2007, 12:48 PM
With the west coast trip looming the Reds need to right the ship and make a change. Fay reflects this sentiment in his latest blog.

Astros 5, Reds 4 -- the season's on the brink

In the wake of the latest bullpen meltdown, the Reds have lost five of six, and they've got Eric Milton going tomorrow night. The club is 0-5 in his starts.

It's getting late very early this season.

If I'm in change, I make a move or two before the game. Wayne Krivsky doesn't like change for change sake. But the bullpen isn't getting it done. The Astros have scored 17 runs in six games in the eighth inning against the Reds.

Some possibilities: Give Todd Coffey, a stint in Louisville to get himself straightened out. Bring up Marcus McBeth, the guy they got in the trade from Oakland. Or bring up Phil Dumatrait to pitch in relief. Or try Jason Kershner (17 IP, two runs, eight hits at Louisville). Or dare I day it: Use Homer Bailey in relief as a stopgap. Bailey pitched another gem for the Bats Monday, by the way.

It's still very early, but the bullpen is leaking runs on a nightly basis. It's going to be hard to sell tickets if fans keep seeing the same thing night after night. Coffey's a great guy, a stand-up type. But when the other guys are hitting .339 off him and he's given up four homers in 16 1/3 putting him in a tie game in the eighth is the definition of baseball insanity. Jerry Narron didn't have a lot of other choices Monday. Brad Salmon, perhaps?

So, if I'm in charge, I try to get him some choices before tomorrow night's game.

If it might not help, but doing nothing isn't really instilling a lot of confidence in the fan base.

posted by John Fay at 9:43 PM
He is still clamoring for Homer but his other thoughts seem to be in line with the rest of the fan base.

flyer85
05-08-2007, 12:59 PM
A point has been reached where obviously something needs to be done. Poor pitching has not resulted in changed roles. With almost everyone struggling it seems like Salmon should have gotten several chances in tight games, instead he has none.

Even if WK shakes up the pen a bit there is still the problem that Narron is hesitant to change the roles around.

Joseph
05-08-2007, 01:01 PM
I hate to push the panic button, espeially in week two of May, but this team is not built to overcome. It could front run. It could hang in and eek it out. But it can't be buried and then come back.

It's in extreme danger of getting buried early. Not of being competitive, but in danger of being prevented from contending.

Now I admit it wasn't a team expected to, nor designed to contend. BUT that doesn't mean they need to sit back and accept that, particularly year after year and especially not when trying to grow the fan base.

Castellini promised winning now. We all took that with a smile and a grain of salt, but it was refreshing. We are working on year two of his tenure and I don't want to see that cashed in during May simply because they won't send a guy down.

Cormier was an easy choice, make some difficult ones finally.

oneupper
05-08-2007, 01:03 PM
Narron won't change the way he manages pitchers. He was doing the same thing last year. You bring up a guy like Salmon and he won't use him. When (and if) he does...the guy has to get the cobwebs off his arm.

Narron constantly puts his players in situations to fail It's just so much more obvious with the pitchers.

StrikeIndicator
05-08-2007, 02:02 PM
Salmon was the best they had in the pen down in AAA
2 (maybe even all 3) of the runs given up there were the result of a bothced fielders choice

He joined the team exactly ten days ago today.
As of last night, 9 days, 8 games, he has been brought in 2x
and warmed up another 2 and not brought in (once when Milton was struggling with 2 outs in the 4th)

Yes, the first was to finish up a blow out, but it was his FIRST major league appearance. The second time at Houston we needed someone to stop the bleeding and he did what he was asked to do.

Unlike some of his pen pals he is not afraid to throw 94mph chin music to keep batters from setting up to dive and drive outside pitches they know are coming

IMHO, once he settles down (quits rushing himself) on the mound you will start seeing a ton of routine ground balls and pop ups.

Right now he is like the Indian chief who tells every pretty girl at the entry gate "Chance"
finally one of the cuties asks the chief, "I thought Indians greeted people by saying "How"?
His reply, "Me know how, just want CHANCE!"

redsmetz
05-08-2007, 02:04 PM
Anybody else get the feeling John Fay reads Redszone before writing his blogs?

hebroncougar
05-08-2007, 02:06 PM
Narron won't change the way he manages pitchers. He was doing the same thing last year. You bring up a guy like Salmon and he won't use him. When (and if) he does...the guy has to get the cobwebs off his arm.

Narron constantly puts his players in situations to fail It's just so much more obvious with the pitchers.

Amen. And really, does the pitching coach have much input on who is getting chosen to come out of the pen? I say this, because Narron has now had 3 pitching coaches, and he continues to ride good arms until they fall off. I am real concerned when Bray comes off of the DL, if he's effective, is Narron gonna ride that already bad arm?

ochoa30
05-08-2007, 02:17 PM
Amen. And really, does the pitching coach have much input on who is getting chosen to come out of the pen? I say this, because Narron has now had 3 pitching coaches, and he continues to ride good arms until they fall off. I am real concerned when Bray comes off of the DL, if he's effective, is Narron gonna ride that already bad arm?

Bray's arm is fine, he hurt his finger on a line drive. When he's ready hes good to go.

SunDeck
05-08-2007, 02:24 PM

Last time I checked this was the major leagues. Real major league pitchers can handle more than the perfect situation.
It's garbage in, garbage out, if you ask me.

TheWalls
05-08-2007, 04:16 PM
This is real simple. We are one crappy road trip paired with one Cubs and/or Brewers winning streak from being 12-15 games out with two teams going really well.

At that point, we would be fools not to clear house (Milton, Stanton, Hattenine, et al.) and see if Votto, Bailey, Bray, Burton et al. are going to help us or not. They get valuable experience, the Reds get a chance to evaluate their true needs for 2008. It sucks to be having this discussion before the All Star Break, it would suck worse if we don't make the most of the opportunity.

reds44
05-08-2007, 05:36 PM
It's a joke that Krivsky didn't make a roster move today. I'm very dissapointed.

Screwball
05-08-2007, 05:52 PM
It's a joke that Krivsky didn't make a roster move today. I'm very dissapointed.

Me too. I thought for sure something was going to be done. I realize that, in baseball, you gotta have patience with players. But geez, how much more do you need to see before making the evaluation that so and so needs to be sent down/DFA'd, and then somebody needs to be brought up?

The bullpen has already cost us about 10 games or so. Are we going to wait until that number is 20 before something is done? Is Wayne trying to get Narron fired?? Sheesh.

storrs19
05-08-2007, 05:58 PM
Exactly. I am very concerned about the upcoming trip to The Dodgers, The Padres and The Indians. They are all good teams and are hot right now. If we wind up 3-6 on this trip (or worse) that will probably knock us out of contention for the year as I figure another loss tonight with Uncle Miltie starting which will drop us 9 back if the Brewers win over the lowly Nationals. So far 9 losses can be hung on the Blowpen and that is half of our total losses.

WMR
05-08-2007, 06:05 PM
No roster move today is total BS.

BOO!

reds44
05-08-2007, 06:08 PM
It really is because we're only 4 under, and it's only May. It's not too late to make something out of the year, not even close. I'm not sure why Wayne didn't make a move.

This team has been getting good starting pitching and good offense. It's just the pen, you gotta try something different.

It'd be nice if Narron didn't march Stanton and Coffey out there seemingly every day also.

DannyB
05-08-2007, 06:10 PM
What roster move could be made?

reds44
05-08-2007, 06:11 PM
What roster move could be made?
McBeth up
Coffey down/Stanton DFA

There's a few other options (i.e. Medlock or Dumatrait), but that's the one that seemingly has to be made.

BRM
05-08-2007, 07:02 PM
An update from John Fay:

CEO Bob Castellini was on the field for batting practice, as far as I can tell it was his first appearance down there since Opening Day. He had an extended conversation with Wayne Krivksy.

I tracked Castellini down afterward, but he didn't want to talk.

"We've just got to come out of this and we will," he said. "Catch me when I'm feeling better."

No moves were made before the game. I'm told nothing is coming anytime soon. But check back after the eighth inning tonight.

WMR
05-08-2007, 07:03 PM
I'd probably feel perpetually ill too if I had Castro on my 25 man.

redsfanmia
05-08-2007, 07:55 PM
I'd probably feel perpetually ill too if I had Castro on my 25 man.

Why bang on Castro?

gonelong
05-08-2007, 09:30 PM
Anybody else get the feeling John Fay reads Redszone before writing his blogs?

I think more than a few media guys in Cincy read this board for ideas. I see and hear phrases from time-to-time that seem to be much more than coincidence.

If Fay is reading the board, he is not understanding much of it. :p:

GL

Spring~Fields
05-09-2007, 12:07 AM
I think more than a few media guys in Cincy read this board for ideas. I see and hear phrases from time-to-time that seem to be much more than coincidence.

If Fay is reading the board, he is not understanding much of it. :p:

GL

I agree, I see subject matter come up here and later it becomes one of their articles. Time they start paying for the material. ;)

TheWalls
05-09-2007, 12:46 AM
This is real simple. We are one crappy road trip paired with one Cubs and/or Brewers winning streak from being 12-15 games out with two teams going really well.

At that point, we would be fools not to clear house (Milton, Stanton, Hattenine, et al.) and see if Votto, Bailey, Bray, Burton et al. are going to help us or not. They get valuable experience, the Reds get a chance to evaluate their true needs for 2008. It sucks to be having this discussion before the All Star Break, it would suck worse if we don't make the most of the opportunity.

To quote the heroic Horton the Elephant: "I meant what I said, and I said what I meant" this pen needs a shake up to stop this descent. (or words to that effect)

paintmered
05-09-2007, 12:48 AM
The Reds projected pythag record is 84-76 even after tonight's loss.

WVRedsFan
05-09-2007, 01:11 AM
The Reds projected pythag record is 84-76 even after tonight's loss.
You know what? I'll take that and be happy. That would mean we would finish out the season at 70-57. I don't think it's possible, but I'll take it.