PDA

View Full Version : David Ortiz

Hey Meat
05-08-2007, 03:35 PM
If this excuse works it might work for others with steroids and other issues. "I'm not sure if I did it" or I might have"

BOSTON (TICKER) -- It appears Boston Red Sox slugger David Ortiz is not sure if he has taken steroids.

Ortiz told the Boston Herald that he could not say definitively if he had ever used performance-enhancing drugs in the past. The burly designated hitter also said that if he did, it happened when he was much younger.

"I tell you, I don't know too much about steroids, but I started listening about steroids when they started to bring that (expletive) up," Ortiz told the paper. "I started realizing and getting to know a little bit about it. You've got to be careful.

"I used to buy a protein shake in my country. I don't do that anymore because they don't have the approval for that here, so I know that, so I'm off buying things at the GNC back in the Dominican (Republic). But it can happen anytime, it can happen. I don't know. I don't know if I drank something in my youth, not knowing it."

However, Ortiz, who hit a club-record 54 home runs last season, made light of the situation, joking that he should try steroids just to see what all the fuss is about.

"I should use steroids just to see what's going on," Ortiz joked to the Herald. "Nah. I have a good family. I want to see my kids learn and develop. I think I'm having an OK career. So, I take a lot of Advils, but I think I'm going to stop taking them. They say it (expletive) your liver."

Ortiz spent six non-descript seasons in Minnesota before signing with the Red Sox before the 2003 season. He has quickly become a Boston icon and one of the most popular players in baseball.

In 2004, Ortiz anchored a Red Sox squad which won the franchise's first World Series in 86 years - highlighted by a shocking comeback against the rival New York Yankees in the American League Championship Series.

The Red Sox became the first team in baseball history to come back from a three-games-to-none deficit to win a playoff series.

SunDeck
05-08-2007, 03:37 PM
Man, that sounds like some serious hedging. "Just in case I do get caught, you know I might have and not known it."

Handofdeath
05-08-2007, 03:43 PM
If this excuse works it might work for others with steroids and other issues. "I'm not sure if I did it" or I might have"

BOSTON (TICKER) -- It appears Boston Red Sox slugger David Ortiz is not sure if he has taken steroids.

Ortiz told the Boston Herald that he could not say definitively if he had ever used performance-enhancing drugs in the past. The burly designated hitter also said that if he did, it happened when he was much younger.

"I tell you, I don't know too much about steroids, but I started listening about steroids when they started to bring that (expletive) up," Ortiz told the paper. "I started realizing and getting to know a little bit about it. You've got to be careful.

"I used to buy a protein shake in my country. I don't do that anymore because they don't have the approval for that here, so I know that, so I'm off buying things at the GNC back in the Dominican (Republic). But it can happen anytime, it can happen. I don't know. I don't know if I drank something in my youth, not knowing it."

However, Ortiz, who hit a club-record 54 home runs last season, made light of the situation, joking that he should try steroids just to see what all the fuss is about.

"I should use steroids just to see what's going on," Ortiz joked to the Herald. "Nah. I have a good family. I want to see my kids learn and develop. I think I'm having an OK career. So, I take a lot of Advils, but I think I'm going to stop taking them. They say it (expletive) your liver."

Ortiz spent six non-descript seasons in Minnesota before signing with the Red Sox before the 2003 season. He has quickly become a Boston icon and one of the most popular players in baseball.

In 2004, Ortiz anchored a Red Sox squad which won the franchise's first World Series in 86 years - highlighted by a shocking comeback against the rival New York Yankees in the American League Championship Series.

The Red Sox became the first team in baseball history to come back from a three-games-to-none deficit to win a playoff series.
This is what's called a preemptive strike.

cincrazy
05-08-2007, 03:46 PM
What a moron Ortiz is. He completely failed to take into account that steroids have allowed Bonds to have his BEST seasons from the age of 34 or 35 on. That is NOT natural. Without steroids, Bonds is no longer playing. Period. End of discussion. Big Papi, I just lost a lost of respect for you.

IslandRed
05-08-2007, 04:00 PM
What a moron Ortiz is. He completely failed to take into account that steroids have allowed Bonds to have his BEST seasons from the age of 34 or 35 on. That is NOT natural. Without steroids, Bonds is no longer playing. Period. End of discussion. Big Papi, I just lost a lost of respect for you.

Ummm...

1) The article didn't even mention Barry Bonds

2) The article didn't mention anything about anything you just said

:p:

44Magnum
05-08-2007, 04:09 PM
GUILTY!!!

cincrazy
05-08-2007, 07:05 PM
You're correct, IslandRed. But check out that headline on espn.com, which I read prior to reading this thread. It specifically mentions Bonds in the headline, and some of Big Papi's comments were steered towards Bonds.

But... you caught me. I completely overlooked this thread because I thought it had ALL of what was on the espn.com article... my bad :D . Thanks for pointing that out. But if you read the whole article you'll see where I'm coming from with that post

RedsManRick
05-08-2007, 07:12 PM
Complete overreaction to a non-story. Basically, he said that he didn't know if steroids would really help you hit a baseball any better and that Bonds should still get credit for being a great baseball player, steroids or not. He went on to use a specific example of how steroids may permeate the game. Hedge, maybe. I won't give him credit for thinking that far ahead. He's just a chill dude who doesn't like all the negativity, thinks the issue is overblown as it relates to Bonds, and says he wouldn't mess with it.

redsmetz
05-08-2007, 07:23 PM
It doesn't strike me as hedging his bet. Actually it's rather astute to acknowledge that some of what he took earlier back in his home country might have had steroids in. That's certainly a possibility and why hem and haw about it?

IslandRed
05-08-2007, 08:52 PM
You're correct, IslandRed. But check out that headline on espn.com, which I read prior to reading this thread. It specifically mentions Bonds in the headline, and some of Big Papi's comments were steered towards Bonds.

But... you caught me. I completely overlooked this thread because I thought it had ALL of what was on the espn.com article... my bad :D . Thanks for pointing that out. But if you read the whole article you'll see where I'm coming from with that post

No problem. Just one of those context deals!

Yachtzee
05-08-2007, 11:09 PM

Bonds could still be playing. He would have a smaller head though, and just might have folks outside of San Francisco who could enjoy watching him play without it feeling dirty.

VR
05-08-2007, 11:31 PM
When people start claiming steroids are no help in hitting homeruns, I wonder if they understand beisbol.

blumj
05-08-2007, 11:39 PM
When people start claiming steroids are no help in hitting homeruns, I wonder if they understand beisbol.
It seems more to me like what they really don't understand is PEDs. The disconnect is between what they think the drugs can do and what the drugs really can do.

Will
05-08-2007, 11:40 PM
One interesting item that comes to mind on Bonds is how many pitchers did he hit Homeruns off of who were also on steroids. While I'm definately not a Bonds fan, it is a good question.

Yachtzee
05-08-2007, 11:54 PM
One interesting item that comes to mind on Bonds is how many pitchers did he hit Homeruns off of who were also on steroids. While I'm definately not a Bonds fan, it is a good question.

I don't think steroids have the same effect on a pitcher. It might add some mph to a fastball, but if the guy has no movement on the fastball, major league hitters are going to catch up and hit it out. Still no excuse for a pitcher to use them though, and I don't think it absolves hitters either. I'm not so concerned about records. I just concerned about what other players have been doing to their bodies to try and keep up with the Bonds and McGwires. We may not find out until 10 or 20 years from now when ballplayers start dying young from weird ailments.

cincrazy
05-09-2007, 12:02 AM
Yachtzee, Bonds could still be playing, yes, but at this level? There's no way on earth. I refuse to believe that without steroids, he'd be within shouting distance of Aaron. Hall of Famer without steroids? No question. All time home run leader? No way.

Redsland
05-09-2007, 12:13 PM
I don't think steroids have the same effect on a pitcher. It might add some mph to a fastball, but if the guy has no movement on the fastball, major league hitters are going to catch up and hit it out.
Steroids are supposed to reduce the amount of recovery time after physical exertion. So, in theory, they'd help pitchers rebound faster after an appearance.

Hey Meat
05-09-2007, 04:47 PM
It can help a pitcher throw just sheer gas. A bullpen guy could benefit from this, especially a closer.