PDA

View Full Version : Could we get a closer for

BigJohn
05-08-2007, 03:49 PM
Ee???

BigJohn
05-09-2007, 11:26 AM
Wow, no response, could we get anything that resembles a pitcher for EE????

KronoRed
05-09-2007, 11:39 AM
Not sure but Freel is awful at 3B

Joseph
05-09-2007, 11:41 AM
Could we? Sure.

Would it be a top or the league closer? Probably not.

Will we? I seriously doubt it.

FutureRedsGM
05-09-2007, 11:45 AM
This team doesn't just need a closer, it needs a DOMINANT closer. That would slide Weathers to the 8th inning set-up role and make this bulpen A LOT better. The problem is, there are no dominant closers available at this time. At the trade deadline, maybe . . . but will the reds be too far out of it to be a buyer then? I think the best option for finding that dominant arm is via free agency this off season. Until then, enjoy innings 1-7 of the Reds. Just make sre to tune out before the 8th!!

FYI - List of Free Agent to be closers:

John Smoltz
Joe Nathan
Mariano Rivera
Jason Isringhausen
Bob Wickman
Scott Linebrink

Of course, a lot of these guys are WAY past their prime and some may have an option with their existing team. I would love to work a deal NOW that lands Linebrink and locks him up for around 3 years.

Free Agent Info From: http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2006/10/2008_mlb_free_a.html

nate
05-09-2007, 11:53 AM
http://www.gluethemoose.com/graphics/chewie-baseball-card.jpg

?

redsfanfalcon
05-09-2007, 12:01 PM
This team doesn't just need a closer, it needs a DOMINANT closer. That would slide Weathers to the 8th inning set-up role and make this bulpen A LOT better. The problem is, there are no dominant closers available at this time. At the trade deadline, maybe . . . but will the reds be too far out of it to be a buyer then? I think the best option for finding that dominant arm is via free agency this off season. Until then, enjoy innings 1-7 of the Reds. Just make sre to tune out before the 8th!!

John Smoltz
Joe Nathan
Mariano Rivera
Jason Isringhausen
Bob Wickman
Scott Linebrink

Of course, a lot of these guys are WAY past their prime and some may have an option with their existing team. I would love to work a deal NOW that lands Linebrink and locks him up for around 3 years.

Free Agent Info From: http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2006/10/2008_mlb_free_a.html

Didn't Smoltz just sign an extension? We shouldn't worry about a closer unless we can hold a lead going into the ninth. Let's worry about that first.

membengal
05-09-2007, 12:03 PM
Yes Smoltz did. And, he's back to starting to boot (and extremely effectively I might add)...

PuffyPig
05-09-2007, 12:27 PM
Wickman is also signed for next year. Cards have an option on Izzy.

KoryMac5
05-09-2007, 12:47 PM
I have been clamoring for Linebrink for weeks now, I would imagine he could be had for EE and a prospect. It depends on how much the Reds are willing to pay. Teams know the pen is our big weakness and will surely ask the moon for a quality arm.

CTA513
05-09-2007, 03:21 PM

John Smoltz
Joe Nathan
Mariano Rivera
Jason Isringhausen
Bob Wickman
Scott Linebrink

Ill take all 6 of them.

:D

Degenerate39
05-09-2007, 03:21 PM
Why trade a good young 3rd baseman for a closer? We need both but I'd rather have Edwin. As for closer why not try out McBeth or another minor league relief pitcher? Maybe wait for Bray to come back?

PuffyPig
05-09-2007, 03:23 PM
I have been clamoring for Linebrink for weeks now, I would imagine he could be had for EE and a prospect.

EE has quite a bit more trade value than Linebrink.

it has a lot to do with years before FA.

Degenerate39
05-09-2007, 03:25 PM
http://www.gluethemoose.com/graphics/chewie-baseball-card.jpg

If that was a Rockies uniform I would've thought that was Mountain Man Helton

KoryMac5
05-09-2007, 04:36 PM
EE has quite a bit more trade value than Linebrink.

it has a lot to do with years before FA.

I love EE to death but he isn't hitting well now and many teams may try and pry him away. Especially since he has fallen out of favor with Narron.

Shaggy Sanchez
05-09-2007, 04:46 PM
Why should the Reds trade for a closer when they don't have anyone to get them from the Starters to the closer. This team is more than a closer away from getting to the playoffs in my opinion. I wouldn't want to trade a quality young 3rd baseman when there is nothing to replace him with for a closer. Ryan Freel is not the answer at 3rd and after him there really isn't anyone else so then the question becomes who do you have to trade to get a quality 3rd baseman.

I also think the question of just how many games do we really think a good closer is going to help this team win has to be asked. The closer isn't going to help much in the 6th,7th,and 8th innings and he surely won't help the offensive and defensive dropoff you will get from trading EE. If Freel has to play 3rd everyday it will get ugly on both offense and defense not to mention if an OFer goes down and Freel is moved back to the OF than Castro becomes your everyday 3rd baseman. I don't think trading EE for a closer is a very good idea, but then again I don't really agree with trading for a closer unless you are ready to compete and in my eyes this team isn't ready for that yet.

HumnHilghtFreel
05-09-2007, 04:47 PM
I love EE to death but he isn't hitting well now and many teams may try and pry him away. Especially since he has fallen out of favor with Narron.

There was a time when he was actually in favor with Narron?

Razor Shines
05-09-2007, 04:52 PM

There was a time when he was actually in favor with Narron?

I posted this yesterday:

How has he "fallen out of the good graces of Jerry Narron"? He's second in number of games played, it's not like he's not getting his chances. Some people think Narron moved him down in the order because he hates him, I think he did it to help take pressure off of him.

So he sat him last night against Oswalt. He's been horrible against Oswalt and Freel had been hitting well in the last two games. IMHO I think it's completely the opposite of Jerry not liking him, I think Jerry is just trying to do what he thinks is best to help Edwin, because he wants him to succeed. You may not agree with the way he's doing it, I may not agree with some of the things he's doing, but I don't believe it's because he has any ill will toward EE.