PDA

View Full Version : Does Jerry Narron Last the Year?

reds44
05-09-2007, 09:58 PM
No chance.

LincolnparkRed
05-09-2007, 10:04 PM
At first I would say yes, because quite a few times, his lineups have infuriated me but this year the bullpen has taken the proverbial dump and that can't all be his fault. Most teams would blame the manager but I think Wayne knows he gave Jerry a crap hand and will fight to keep him on since he is forced to fight with one hand behind his back.

UC_Ken
05-09-2007, 10:04 PM
I think he gets more rope than we would like.

If we're in last at the break I think he's done, not before then. Remember Castellini believes in stability in the management positions so he's not going to be a quick trigger.

Razor Shines
05-09-2007, 10:05 PM
Can we start a new thread for each Reds front office person and also each coach all the way down through Low A?

joshnky
05-09-2007, 10:08 PM
Can we start a new thread for each Reds front office person and also each coach all the way down through Low A?

Oh, but these threads are so constructive.;) Especially when the first post is "I don't think so."

Marge'sMullet
05-09-2007, 10:12 PM
I'd fire the bullpen coach and fire up that pen.

RedsMan3203
05-09-2007, 10:22 PM
As most of the Zoners around here like to say...

Just another meaningless thread.....

Hey Meat
05-09-2007, 10:28 PM
Nope

RBA
05-09-2007, 10:38 PM
I'll be at Petco the 14th, and probably the 15th and 16th for the "Jerry Narron Farewell Tour" I will most likely witness the last game he manages for the Reds on May 16, 2007.

redsrule2500
05-09-2007, 10:45 PM
We need quality pitching coaches...oh yeah and quality relievers.

pedro
05-09-2007, 10:47 PM
If the Reds continue to tank he may get fired at the all star break but I think he'll probably be here all year.

PickOff
05-09-2007, 11:07 PM
As most of the Zoners around here like to say...

Just another meaningless thread.....

Yeah, 'cause it is not worth discussing Narron's future with the Reds at all. I'm sure it is a given that he is here for the duration, no matter what the Reds' record.

guttle11
05-09-2007, 11:33 PM
To be honest, if they lose tomorrow, I could see him not making the trip out left.

Spring~Fields
05-09-2007, 11:46 PM
Yes I think he stays. I think Castellini is all smoke and mirrors for marketing purposes, I don't see him or his GM making any serious changes.

Reds Fanatic
05-09-2007, 11:46 PM
I don't think he will be the manager when the team returns from the road trip on May 21st. He is hanging by a thread now and that road trip will be the end for him. A 9 game road trip to the West Coast and then to first place Cleveland. At this point I could see us going 2-7 or maybe even worse on that trip. I think that will be the end for Narron.

Razor Shines
05-10-2007, 01:18 AM
Where is anybody getting the idea that he's "hanging by a thread" or that his job is in jeopardy? I haven't heard anything from the FO that would make me think that.

What was he supposed to do tonight? He won the Russian Roulette contest with the bullpen, he didn't leave Belisle in too long to get himself in trouble and we didn't see Juan Castro PHing. He can't do anything about the fact that EE made a couple of mistakes. It happens. EE is still very young and I still think he's the right guy for 3rd base, and no I don't think that Jerry hates him.

AtomicDumpling
05-10-2007, 02:52 AM
He won't last the month of May.

The fans want something, anything to be done. Just about the only thing that can be done now is to fire the manager.

WVRedsFan
05-10-2007, 03:03 AM
Yes I think he stays. I think Castellini is all smoke and mirrors for marketing purposes, I don't see him or his GM making any serious changes.

That was my thought until I thought about it. Robert C is not going to let it get so out of hand that we are not in it. Narron is not the major reason, bujt he'll be gone by Memorial Day. And Krivsky shortly thereafter.

Of course, i could be wrong which would make me about a .246 OBP hitter.

Ltlabner
05-10-2007, 06:34 AM
What was he supposed to do tonight? He won the Russian Roulette contest with the bullpen, he didn't leave Belisle in too long to get himself in trouble and we didn't see Juan Castro PHing. He can't do anything about the fact that EE made a couple of mistakes. It happens. EE is still very young and I still think he's the right guy for 3rd base, and no I don't think that Jerry hates him.

I find it very ammusing that the same people constantly carping on EE's behalf are now wondering if Jerry will be be fired after a game lost in large part because of EE's two throwing errors.

Highlifeman21
05-10-2007, 06:38 AM
Even if Narron's out at any point early in this season, we're still a well below .500 ball club.

I can't stand Narron, but this team is very awful right now. I'd love to see Krivsky trade guys like Cueto and Wood for some pieces that can actually help this ballclub in 2008 or 2009, rather than keep those two crap shoots on the roster.

Always Red
05-10-2007, 06:47 AM
If this were a really good team, and the Reds were playing like this, I'd say yes, absolutely get rid of Narron now.

But this isn't a very good team, unfortunately. And I think that WK realizes that. You can hardly blame JN for the bullpen woes. Everyone he has turned to, save Weathers, has thrown gasoline on the fire.

Changing managers at this point is going to do nothing; it's spinning wheels. Plus, you have the Hamilton factor to consider.

I think this season is already lost, unfortunately (I've used that word twice, ominously, in this same post :( ). I think Wk continues to swap parts in and out, throw relievers and bench guys against walls and see who sticks, and continues to develop the younger guys (EE, BP, Hammy, Belisle) who the near future will depend upon.

Narron is not my favorite manager, but he is a cut above what we've had here since Jack McKeon. I think he stays until this team gets better talent, and then when and if he doesn't produce, he's out of here, at that point.

So, I'd say he's here for the near future; the earliest he gets fired is All Star Break, 2008.

RFS62
05-10-2007, 07:20 AM
If this were a really good team, and the Reds were playing like this, I'd say yes, absolutely get rid of Narron now.

But this isn't a very good team, unfortunately. And I think that WK realizes that. You can hardly blame JN for the bullpen woes. Everyone he has turned to, save Weathers, has thrown gasoline on the fire.

Changing managers at this point is going to do nothing; it's spinning wheels. Plus, you have the Hamilton factor to consider.

I think this season is already lost, unfortunately (I've used that word twice, ominously, in this same post :( ). I think Wk continues to swap parts in and out, throw relievers and bench guys against walls and see who sticks, and continues to develop the younger guys (EE, BP, Hammy, Belisle) who the near future will depend upon.

Narron is not my favorite manager, but he is a cut above what we've had here since Jack McKeon. I think he stays until this team gets better talent, and then when and if he doesn't produce, he's out of here, at that point.

So, I'd say he's here for the near future; the earliest he gets fired is All Star Break, 2008.

Great post.

How ironic that we contended for a large part of last season with smoke and mirrors, and what I consider a better team this year has already dug an inescapable hole.

The division isn't going to roll over this year. The Brewers aren't as good as they are playing now, but they're plenty good enough to run off and hide.

It's funny how this board has educated so many people about large sample sizes and the pythag, and those two key principles are cited ad infinitum whenever it suits our needs to blast the team. And yet, they're largely ignored now when they support the notion that we're not as bad as our record indicates.

We're an average team at best, as currently constructed. I thought 84 wins would be a nice season for the current personnel. If the standard against which we're judged is a 90+ win ballclub, we're in for nothing but disappointment.

MrCinatit
05-10-2007, 07:42 AM
He might squeak out the year, but I would be surprised to see him managing next year.
The team is spinning its wheels, and Narron is not the man to get them out of the rut. If it gets real ugly real fast (IE, the streak continues), then he might be lucky to see the All-Star break.
Hume, on the other hand, might be one more bullpen meltdown away from being fired.

oneupper
05-10-2007, 07:57 AM
What's JN's contract situation?

Reds Fanatic
05-10-2007, 08:14 AM
What's JN's contract situation?
Both Narron and Krivsky currently have a contract through 2008.

redsmetz
05-10-2007, 08:25 AM
Great post.

How ironic that we contended for a large part of last season with smoke and mirrors, and what I consider a better team this year has already dug an inescapable hole.

The division isn't going to roll over this year. The Brewers aren't as good as they are playing now, but they're plenty good enough to run off and hide.

It's funny how this board has educated so many people about large sample sizes and the pythag, and those two key principles are cited ad infinitum whenever it suits our needs to blast the team. And yet, they're largely ignored now when they support the notion that we're not as bad as our record indicates.

We're an average team at best, as currently constructed. I thought 84 wins would be a nice season for the current personnel. If the standard against which we're judged is a 90+ win ballclub, we're in for nothing but disappointment.

I think you're right. I said all along that management basically needed on more reasonably competitive season before the system starts producing ML ready players. It will be a stretch for us to reach .500, but it is a along season. I certainly agreed that this was anyone's division to win, but no one in the Central can do it if they're moribund - and the Brewers have been playing lights out viz everyone else.

WVRedsFan
05-10-2007, 08:31 AM
Great post.

I'm not sure how much better tis teamis than last year's team. Last year's team had a hot-hitting David Ross (which, we have seen was nothe normal year from David Ross) and a clutch-hitting EdE. This year's team seems to have (and I have no statistics to back this up--just a feeling) gotten owrse defensively, even with the addition of better shortstop play. As much as people "loathed" Rich Aurilia, he seems to be the missing link here. He might have really been the missing link to a better season. Add in bad luck at all the wrong times and you have what you have.

Is there a person in the world with worse luck than Narron? I don't think so. He needs a rabbit's foot or something. Two errors by EdE and three runs resulted. That's simply too much bad luck. But wins are what managers are judged by and that is the reason I see Jerry on shaky ground.

oneupper
05-10-2007, 08:33 AM
Both Narron and Krivsky currently have a contract through 2008.

Then Narron will be here all year this year AT LEAST.

Always Red
05-10-2007, 09:10 AM
As much as people "loathed" Rich Aurilia, he seems to be the missing link here. He might have really been the missing link to a better season. Add in bad luck at all the wrong times and you have what you have.

Is there a person in the world with worse luck than Narron? I don't think so. He needs a rabbit's foot or something. Two errors by EdE and three runs resulted. That's simply too much bad luck. But wins are what managers are judged by and that is the reason I see Jerry on shaky ground.

Good point about Aurilia. The first year he was here I was put out with all of his whining immediately about playing time, especially when he started out so slowly. But by last year, I had become an Aurilia fan.

This team misses his RH power, his experience, and his versatility. Were he still here, I think JN would have him at 3B by now, so having RA gone has given EE some breathing room down at the hot corner. Looks to me like EE is trying to play himself out of a position.

I thought EE started out playing a very fine 3B in April. May has been an adventure, both with his arm and his head. His glove and range are top notch.

I think a good manager throws Eddie right back in today, to try to keep his confidence up. Narron needs Eddie to play well, in order to keep his own job, too. JN does the same with his relievers; if they get pounded, he tries his best to get them in the game the next day, even for a batter or two, so they can get right back up on the horse.

Slyder
05-11-2007, 10:52 AM
I think Wayne gets more slack, enough to where if they release Narron from managing then Wayne gets a chance to hire his man for the job. I really wish we had gone for Sweet Lou this offseason.

Wayne lasts another full calender year at least...

Narron doesnt last til the All Star Break as manager of the Cincinnati Reds