PDA

View Full Version : This owner kills me!! Question.

Redsnake
05-10-2007, 08:49 AM
Sorry so long, but I need help.
10 Team Yahoo Points league, 7X7 (AVG,R,RBI,SB,HR,2B,OPS/W,L,SV,HOLDS,ERA,WHIPS,K's)
History - 2 years in a row, 3 leagues and placed in the money(top 3) 5 times!!! This year in all 3 leagues he is in 1st, 3rd and 1st. If the season would end today that would be placing in the money 8 times out of 9 chances!!!

Roster - He makes no trades, the leagues only allows 3 trades per league each year. He only averages 20 roster moves per team. That comes down to drafted players and very few waiver wire guys.

Draft - He punts Saves in every league and makes no secrets about it. Loads up on K/9 SP, Holds guys and high average hitters. He's always in the middle/above of the pack in hitting catagories. And with the exception of Saves dominates nearly all pitching stats.

I don't see too many other leagues with these kind of catagories. I don't punt any catagory put I feel after every draft I come out a winner (at least over him).

Question - Does anyone see how this strategy works and could explain it a little better. I won't ask him because he's taking my money every year and I'm sure he won't tell his secret. :confused:

Dom Heffner
05-10-2007, 10:57 AM
I played in a league somewhat similar to this last year.

I won the thing with high K/9 pitchers. Anytime you play in a league that scores percentage categories, you can kill with pitchers who are overly efficient within their small sample size.

Guys like Jon Broxton, Pat Neshek- their WHIPS and K/9 are so far off the charts that even if they pitch 1 inning, it really helps your score. These guys don't even get drafted in most leagues.

Throw in a Francisco Liriano type starter and then an Aaron Harang and you are in business, because those low WHIP guys offset a lousy outing by a starting pitcher. He can afford to throw a lot of starting pitching as those relievers will bring down the bad outings. If the starters do well, he is really in business.

My WHIP was almost always near 1 because I had 4 relievers who were lights out- and with high K/9 to boot.

The strategy works because by trying to win saves, it can hurt you in some of the other categories, especially if you have a Borowski or a Todd Jones who really aren't that efficient at pitching. He would be smarter to get a Saito or Putz or K-Rod to get saves and the other categories, but while you guys are drafting closers, he's exploiting the offense that is available and then taking those middle relievers in the last rounds, probably.

Johnny Footstool
05-10-2007, 11:03 AM
Saves and SBs are the two categories you can consciously (and safely) punt without hurting yourself in other categories.

Redsnake
05-10-2007, 02:04 PM
Good insight guys, I really apreciate it. I think next year I will start addressing my draft a little differently. It can't hurt!! besides 4th place through 10th all get the same money($0) so something has to change.

TeamSelig
05-11-2007, 08:43 AM
I like to draft strong in one area (hitting or pitching), especially early on. Pitching is usually better IMO. Decent hitters seem to emerge every season. If you catch all of the pitching early, then they will be overpaying for mediocre pitching too early in the draft where you can grab some decent bats, or you swap one of your pitchers for one of their good hitters out of desperation for the pitching.

HotCorner
05-11-2007, 10:39 AM
I always wait until the latter rounds of my draft to get closers and I'm always near the top in saves in my league. I'd rather get better quality position players or starting pitchers than get a solid closer when drafting my team. Last year I picked up Papelbon a week into the season. The year before I drafted BJ Ryan late. You can always find a quality closer late because the nature of the position.

This season was no different. I drafted Francisco Cordero, Brad Lidge and Dan Wheeler. Additionally guys like Rafael Soriano, Jokiam Soria and David Weathers are all still available in my money league.

HotCorner
05-11-2007, 10:42 AM
Guys like Jon Broxton, Pat Neshek- their WHIPS and K/9 are so far off the charts that even if they pitch 1 inning, it really helps your score. These guys don't even get drafted in most leagues.

I agree 100%. I used both of these pitchers last season for that exact reason. I'd rather have a reliever who will produce a low WHIP and ERA, high K/9 rate and could add wins as a bonus rather than a closer who posts a god awful ERA and WHIP.

David Aardsma is a perfect example for this season.