PDA

View Full Version : Dunn's stats

TOBTTReds
05-10-2007, 07:33 PM
Redszone's collective trade bait is doing quite well right now. Check out the NL rankings as of 7pm tonight:

Runs: 4th (30) The three ahead of him are all leadoff hitters, with great speed. Hanley Ramirez (32), Rollins (32), Reyes (31). Folks, that is IMPRESSIVE.

Triples: 10th (2) Put that in here for fun.

Walks: 9th (20)

HR: 1st (11) tied with voltron.

RBI: 11th (24)

SB: 11th (6) 0 caught

OBP: 22nd (.384)

SLG: 2nd (.635) behind voltron

OPS: 7th (1.108)

Pitches seen: 13th (599)

I bring up this because of how much people have talked about getting rid of him. I know he struggles at times and is streaky. But the bottom line is, so are other players. Normal streaky hitters don't end up in the top of all these categories that Dunn is in. Go look at all these categories and tell me if there is anyone above Dunn in any of these stats that you wouldn't want on your team, from a production standpoint (ignore personality or roids). He is truly a VERY productive hitter and people need to start understanding this.

If you watched other teams play 150 times a year, you would find problems with their star players. People who don't watch Dunn play every day, and realize K's aren't a huge deal, would love to have him on their team. I get just as frustrated as many of you and say, trade this guy one day, then love him the next. Looking at the numbers, this is what I get:

Love him, enjoy his game, and realize that we have a star on this team. Streakiness happens, so does fan over reaction. Learn to calm down and realize this is a 162 game season (oh, he also plays in almost all of them).

:dunn: Love me for my production, don't hate me for not being the best player in baseball.

edabbs44
05-10-2007, 07:47 PM
Dunn had a 1.046 OPS last April. April 2005: 1.121 OPS. I've seen him start the year like this before. Never seen him carry it through.

Now do I expect anyone to have a full season like this? Nope. But this team needs him to be a force on a consistent basis through out the year. Taking one or two month vacations during the season really hampers the success of the club. I hope he finally puts together a full season, because it could be special. When he's on, he's a pleasure to watch. When he's not...he's tough to watch, to say the least.

reds44
05-10-2007, 07:50 PM
He'll be traded if this team is this bad in July. Hopefully, it's not.

CTA513
05-10-2007, 07:56 PM

Any team that trades for him better hope they can sign him to a contract since his option for 2008 becomes void if traded.

Ludwig Reds Fan
05-10-2007, 08:09 PM
I see us trading him to the Rangers for a player to be shamed later.

Ron Madden
05-10-2007, 09:15 PM
Good post AvesIce51. :beerme:

AtomicDumpling
05-10-2007, 09:33 PM
Wait a minute, Marty Brennaman says Dunn sucks. I trust the poofy-haired fancy boy more than any statistics. LOL

UC_Ken
05-10-2007, 09:51 PM
We've seen what Dunn does before. He'll go through slumps that makes you think he's one of the worst players in baseball. he'll go through hot stretches that make you think he's one of the best. In reality the truth is somewhere in between probably closer to being a really good player. I think we need to give him a lot of credit for getting in better shape and that's making him a better runner and fielder. His inconsistency drives you crazy but at the end of the year he's going to create more runs for the Reds than any other player, including Griffey. The thing people on here need to get away from is rating Dunn on a weekly basis. At the end of the hear he's going to be .375 OPB/ .950 OPS and 45 HR. I think the key when you have a player so talented but inconsistent is to have some consistent production in the lineup for when he's struggling. That's why Griffey staying healthy is the #1 key for the offense this season.

The example of what happens when there's nobody else to pick up the slack is last August and September. Dunn was awful and took the whole offense with him.

NorrisHopper30
05-10-2007, 10:14 PM
I personally think this is Dunn's year, he's definately been a different player. He's diving out in the field, he's making good grabs, and it seems like he is striking out a little less than last year (anyone got the stat?)

Redskinalum02
05-10-2007, 11:09 PM
I personally think this is Dunn's year, he's definately been a different player. He's diving out in the field, he's making good grabs, and it seems like he is striking out a little less than last year (anyone got the stat?)

As a matter of fact, I do:

2007 45k's/141 PA's 32%
2006 194k's/679 PA's 29%
2005 168k's/669 PA's 25%
2004 195k's/581 PA's 29%

Dunn is actually striking out at a higher rate than in the prior three seasons. I don't think the 2007 version of Dunn is any different than any other year, except that he said in Spring Training he was going to try to be a better fielder. He has always hustled in LF, this year is no different. Even in prior years he would make some great plays...he is a great athlete. However, he would also make some bonehead plays out there.

I don't mind you trying to defend not trading Adam Dunn but at least use the truth to back your argument. Just sayin'.

jmac
05-10-2007, 11:11 PM

It's not and "he's"not !

Raisor
05-10-2007, 11:14 PM
1.019 OPS > 45k's

WMR
05-10-2007, 11:27 PM
Wait a minute, Marty Brennaman says Dunn sucks. I trust the poofy-haired fancy boy more than any statistics. LOL

haha

VR
05-10-2007, 11:38 PM
1.019 OPS > 45k's

I agree, it's great to have a great OPS despite the K's.

To me it's all about adjusting to his 0-2 & 1-2 counts.

2004-2006, he had those counts 394 times, and struck out 264 times on the next pitch. He had a total of 5 dingers in those 394 ab's, and OPs'ed .262. That's one dinger every 80 ab's for those counting at home....almost like recommending David Eckstein to go up there swinging for fences every at bat. Not a good idea. If he just tries to hit the ball squarely in those situations...he'll probably jump that rate to 1 per 30..he's that strong. But don't try to hit that pitch into the river.

That's the problem...do something when you're 0-2 instead of swinging for the fences. He's been better at that this year, a lot better actually. That's 1/4 of his ab's....imagine the potential if he jumps his OPS in those situations to a meager 600? MVP candidate, that's what.