PDA

View Full Version : Does it concern anyone else?

dougdirt
05-11-2007, 12:58 AM
I was just thinking to myself, but does it concern any of you that our middle infielders have more power than our corner infielders?

TOBTTReds
05-11-2007, 01:00 AM
Unusual? Yes. Concern? No.

Give me Votto and EdE on the corners next year (hopefully both turn it around) and they are 20+ HR guys for years.

I think it is a bonus. Especially bc our mid IF'ers can pick it.

AtomicDumpling
05-11-2007, 01:06 AM
Yes it does. Good point.

Our middle infielders are about league average in terms of overall ability. Our corner infielders are way down at the bottom of the league in overall ability --especially at 1B.

Hatteberg is pretty lame compared to Albert Pujols, Lance Berkman, Ryan Howard, Prince Fielder, Derrek Lee, Adrian Gonzalez, Carlos Delgado and Todd Helton. Those are just the National League first basemen.

RedsFanWC
05-11-2007, 01:23 AM
I would argue our middle infielders are above average. They are both above average defensively, with plus power. Its early but as of now they are both tied for second in MLB for HRs for their respective positions.

As far as the corners go, I think that 3B is much more of a concern than 1B. A plus power hitting 1B is very expensive (look at how much we were paying Casey without the power) and therefore for a team like the reds must be acquired by trade or developed within. If Votto can be ready for next year then I think it was a smart move to use Hatteberg/Aurilia/Conine as stopgaps between Casey and Votto. If Votto doesnt develop then there may be issues in the future here as well.

3B is trickier because EE is the only in house solution close to the majors, and if he continues to struggle then the reds will have to look outside and it will probably end up costing them prospects in order to fill the position where it is above average. There do not seem to be a lot of free agent 3B on the market in 2008. The other problem with 3B is that is a position most teams get a RH power bat from, which this team needs and would be great to bat cleanup. With Hamilton, Dunn, JR, Votto, and Bruce all left handed the present and future of the outfield and 1B figiures to be very left handed heavy.

A lot is dependent on EE, hopefully he can bounce back and develop, otherwise Krivsky might have to get creative.

hebroncougar
05-11-2007, 08:20 AM
Who would have thought............Alex Gonzalez is being spoken in glowing terms like "plus power". Amazing what a bandbox of a park or a good few weeks will do for a guys image.;)

TeamSelig
05-11-2007, 08:35 AM
Gonzo has had a little pop in his bat throughout his career. I predicted in the 20s before the season... his problem is just getting on base and hitting for a decent average.

I'm fine w/ our low power hitting corners mainly because we have other options coming up. Think about how powerful this team will be...

C Ross.... pretty strong guy, not sure if he is going to hit at all this year but has about a 20-30 HR potential IMO
1B Votto... not sure what the projections will end up but from what i've read he could be a 25 HR guy with quite a few doubles
2B Phillips.... possible 30 HR
SS Gonzalez... about 15 to 20
3B Encarnacion.... 20-25 HRs with 93023.57 doubles
LF Dunn... anyone think Dunn will touch 50 this year?
CF Hamilton.... not even sure if I want to venture on how many he could hit... I want to say he could hit 40
RF Griffey... around 30 or so

That is alot of HRs.

toledodan
05-11-2007, 11:23 AM
Unusual? Yes. Concern? No.

Give me Votto and EdE on the corners next year (hopefully both turn it around) and they are 20+ HR guys for years.

I think it is a bonus. Especially bc our mid IF'ers can pick it.

great post as always.:thumbup: