PDA

View Full Version : Griffey DH in Cleveland

storrs19
05-11-2007, 09:57 AM
This will probably start an argument but IMHO Griffey should DH all 3 games in Cleveland. We can have Castro at 3rd two days and maybe give Keppenger a shot at it one day. Griffey will need a rest after covering that right field at Petco Park (although it is not as huge as the one at PacBell in "San Fransissyco" as Nuxie calls it). He is on a great batting streak right now and the last thing we need is for his legs to get tired and have him get injured. I wonder if Narron will DH him 3 days in a row?

Marge'sMullet
05-11-2007, 10:26 AM
I would DH Griffey game 1 and 3 and Dunn game 2.

44Magnum
05-11-2007, 10:27 AM
Jr. should never play in the field if he doesn't have to . He's a defensive liability out there.

hebroncougar
05-11-2007, 10:55 AM
I wouldn't disagree. The problem is where does the extra bat come from??? My guess would be Conine would get some PT.

membengal
05-11-2007, 10:59 AM
Why are you trying to get at-bats for Castro?

RichRed
05-11-2007, 11:01 AM
I'm not in favor of any scenario that puts Castro in the starting lineup.

vic715
05-11-2007, 11:16 AM
Castro is a good man to have on the bench for his defensive ability,but keep the bats away from him.

coachw513
05-11-2007, 11:17 AM
We can have Castro at 3rd two days and maybe give Keppenger a shot at it one day.

Yeah, that Encarnacion guy wouldn't make sense here...:rolleyes:

BRM
05-11-2007, 11:18 AM

Might as well not use a DH if you are going to put Castro in there. Just let the pitcher hit.

EddieMilner
05-11-2007, 11:21 AM
The benefit of the DH is getting another bat in the lineup, not improving your defense. A few years ago, La Russa got pretty bad flack during the World Series for starting his defensively better catcher and letting his offensively better catcher play DH.
I really wish they would've kept EE up because of the DH coming up. That way you could have Freel and Josh in there every day and let Dunn and Griff each take a day off in the outfield.
But I suppose keeping EE up for a three game series isn't that bright in the whole scheme of things.

Slyder
05-11-2007, 11:39 AM
Can Keppinger play 3b?

TeamSelig
05-11-2007, 11:53 AM
Junior isn't a liability anywhere in the OF. CF is arguable due to his legs.

I'm pretty sure Griffey openly dislikes the DH so I look for him to DH maybe one game, with Dunner getting the other two.

redsmetz
05-11-2007, 11:57 AM
Can Keppinger play 3b?

Yes, he's floated around like Freel has, although most of his playing time has been the middle infield.

Ludwig Reds Fan
05-11-2007, 11:58 AM
Griffey's defense in RF this year has ranged from truly impressive, to truly abysmal.

He still makes those Hall of Fame catches from time to time, but some of those errors... woah.

And for that reason, I don't feel that Griffey or Dunn have the right to turn their noses up at the DH slot.

Slyder
05-11-2007, 12:02 PM
Keppinger at 3b, Freel in RF, Hamilton in CF, Griffey DH.

I agree Castro is better when coming off the bench. Might as well see what Keppinger can do.

UC_Ken
05-11-2007, 12:12 PM
I agree Castro is betting when coming off the bench. Might as well see what Keppinger can do.'

Betting? So you're saying he's throwing games with his horrible stick and statue like range in the field. Just Kidding.

For real though Castro will be better when he's released, he really serves no purpose on a major league roster anymore.

PuffyPig
05-11-2007, 12:14 PM
Narron will use the DH to give his regulars a "rest", so I expect it will be rotated.

TeamSelig
05-11-2007, 12:15 PM
I would almost rather see Conine

Degenerate39
05-11-2007, 02:40 PM
I hope Griffey is DH every Interleague game the Reds play.

Slyder
05-11-2007, 03:31 PM
'

Betting? So you're saying he's throwing games with his horrible stick and statue like range in the field. Just Kidding.

For real though Castro will be better when he's released, he really serves no purpose on a major league roster anymore.

whoops Ill fix it, this is what happens when you try to type as people are pulling you 100 different ways. Should be Castro is BETTER coming off the bench.

BRM
05-11-2007, 03:32 PM
I hope Griffey is DH every Interleague game the Reds play.

Just to help keep him healthy if nothing else.

CTA513
05-11-2007, 03:36 PM
Hopper will probably get some playing time in the outfield when Griffey and Dunn get to DH.

registerthis
05-11-2007, 03:42 PM
Yeah, that Encarnacion guy wouldn't make sense here...:rolleyes:

Encarnacion might make sense, but his sub-600 OPS sure doesn't.

storrs19
05-11-2007, 07:25 PM
I probably would have EE at 3rd but I have a feeling his stint at Louisville will be at least 15 days ;)

Dunner44
05-11-2007, 07:36 PM
Honestly, even if his defense is crappy, I wouldn't mind seeing Conine in RF for ONE of the games. Get another bat in there. I knwo a lot of people on this board are vehemently against Conine playing OF, but against a good Cleveland club, the extra bat will be more helpful than good RF defense. Conine can;t be that much worse than Jr. when he's having an off-day fielding, can he?

Matt700wlw
05-11-2007, 08:13 PM
Jr. should never play in the field if he doesn't have to . He's a defensive liability out there.

He's been fine in right.

However, he should DH to save wear and tear on his legs. I want him to stay healthy...he's doing too many good things so far!

reds44
05-11-2007, 08:14 PM
When Griffey/Dunn DH start Hopper in the LF or RF, Hamilton in CF, and Freel at 3rd base.

Castro doesn't belong getting ABs.

reds44
05-11-2007, 08:15 PM
He's been fine in right.

However, he should DH to save wear and tear on his legs. I want him to stay healthy...he's doing too many good things so far!
He's been fine in right?

He has 4 errors. That's real bad.

Matt700wlw
05-11-2007, 08:16 PM
He's been fine in right?

He has 4 errors. That's real bad.

When did he commit them? How long ago?

I'll chalk it up to adjustment period :D

reds44
05-11-2007, 08:20 PM
When did he commit them? How long ago?

I'll chalk it up to adjustment period :D
Call it whatever you want, but he still hasn't been good in right.

It's really not even about his defense anyway. I put him at DH to keep him healthy.

Far East
05-11-2007, 08:23 PM
I might not want Conine at 3B for the whole season, but I wonder if he still takes ground ball practice there any more and if Narron might stick him there for some of the games in the AL home parks.

Might weaken the inner defense but strengthen the outer defense.

Knowing how Jerry likes to alternate R-L-R-L, here's one possible order, including what probably would be the current best #7 and #8 hitters in the Majors:

CF-FREEL (R)
1B-HATTEBERG (L)
2B-PHILLIPS (R)
RF-GRIFFEY (L)
3B-CONINE (R)
DH-DUNN (L)
SS-GONZALEZ (R)
LF-HAMILTON (L)
C-ROSS (R)

Matt700wlw
05-11-2007, 08:24 PM
Call it whatever you want, but he still hasn't been good in right.

It's really not even about his defense anyway. I put him at DH to keep him healthy.

So would I...I want his bat more than anything.

reds44
05-11-2007, 08:25 PM
I might not want Conine at 3B for the whole season, but I wonder if he still takes ground ball practice there any more and if Narron might stick him there for some of the games in the AL home parks.

Might weaken the inner defense but strengthen the outer defense.

Knowing how Jerry likes to alternate R-L-R-L, here's one possible order, including what probably would be the current best #7 and #8 hitters in the Majors:

CF-FREEL (R)
1B-HATTEBERG (L)
2B-PHILLIPS (R)
RF-GRIFFEY (L)
3B-CONINE (R)
DH-DUNN (L)
SS-GONZALEZ (R)
LF-HAMILTON (L)
C-ROSS (R)
Conine at 3rd? I doubt that's going to happen. If you see those 9, the defensive lineup would be

LF-Dunn
CF-Hamilton
3B-Freel
DH-Conine

mth123
05-11-2007, 09:17 PM
My vote if EE or Votto aren't called-up. Keppinger at 3B and Freel in the OF. With Griffey at DH.

Here's a hunch for you. Moeller up as back-up catcher and Javy DH. The 3 catcher scenario that has been playing in the Red's mind all along.

KronoRed
05-11-2007, 10:10 PM
Why are you trying to get at-bats for Castro?

He's a star

:devil:

dougflynn23
05-11-2007, 10:27 PM
:) I'd like to see Keppinger get starts in every game in Cleveland. Let Griffey DH 1 game with Freel in CF & Hamilton in RF, and Dunn DH 2 games with Freel in LF. Freel cannot play every day at 3B, and we need to see if Keppinger can contribute.

Razor Shines
05-11-2007, 10:41 PM
He's a star

:devil:

Not yet, he's a rising star.

ED44
05-11-2007, 11:17 PM

I will second that. I think Conine gets the at bats. Even if that means him playing some OF to let Jr DH. The LESS Castro I see, the better. Unless we could DH for him rather than the starter and just let him play defense. :D

mth123
05-15-2007, 02:26 AM
My vote if EE or Votto aren't called-up. Keppinger at 3B and Freel in the OF. With Griffey at DH.

Here's a hunch for you. Moeller up as back-up catcher and Javy DH. The 3 catcher scenario that has been playing in the Red's mind all along.

Saw it coming. Hopefully it only lasts through interleague play. Sorry if I gave WK this idea.

CTA513
05-15-2007, 02:33 AM
Saw it coming. Hopefully it only lasts through interleague play. Sorry if I gave WK this idea.

I was hoping Dunn and Griffey would get the most time at DH so they can have someone like Hopper play the outfield.

mth123
05-15-2007, 02:58 AM
I was hoping Dunn and Griffey would get the most time at DH so they can have someone like Hopper play the outfield.

Me too, but i can see Javy in there at least for one game. Moeller hit 2 HR in Monday's game and has been hot. It could be a combo of bringing him up while he's hot and the DH "suggesting" that maybe 3 cathers would be a good idea to free up Javy.

Far East
05-15-2007, 09:37 AM
Me too, but i can see Javy in there at least for one game. Moeller hit 2 HR in Monday's game and has been hot. It could be a combo of bringing him up while he's hot and the DH "suggesting" that maybe 3 cathers would be a good idea to free up Javy.

As much as I like the potential offense of both Javy and Ross, Moeller -- if his current AAA hotness carries over into the "show," -- just might be able to play his way into the #1 catching position, or at least displace Ross against southpaws.

Lord knows, almost anybody's defense would be an improvement over the backhand stabs instead of blocking pitches in the dirt that we are are seeing from the present duo.