PDA

View Full Version : The Only Reds Fan

Degenerate39
05-11-2007, 01:31 PM
Today during lunch as soon as I walked into the gym someone (who knows I love the Reds) says "Damn those last place Reds suck". Then him and I began arguing about the Reds and Braves (I've mentioned this in another thread). Soon the other Braves fans jump in. I hear "When's the last time Griffey's finished a season?" I reply "Whens the last time Andrew Jones been close to 600 home runs?" Then another ignorant Braves fan interjects and says "Griffey's never even finished a whole season." So I bring up the fact that he had back to back 50 homer seasons so he must've been pretty damn good to do that without playing all year. Another guy jumps in and says "Griffey has to sit the bench every time he breaks a toe nail." Of course I defend Griffey yet again and say "When you're almost 40 then see how your body feels."

I hate being the only Reds fan, in what seems to be, the whole school. After today I hope to God that the Reds go to the playoffs even more than I did before.

Share your stories of being the outcast Reds fan. I know I'm not the only one.

justincredible
05-11-2007, 01:34 PM
Sounds like a "My dad can beat up your dad" kind of argument. Those are always my favorite. :D

Degenerate39
05-11-2007, 01:38 PM
Sounds like a "My dad can beat up your dad" kind of argument. Those are always my favorite. :D

Pretty much and these guys don't know a whole-hell-of-a-lot about baseball. It's like Peter Gammons trying to tell a baby that Ryan Howard was the MVP last year.

mroby85
05-11-2007, 01:39 PM
the only problem is those great years for jr were with seattle, but with the kind of arguments they were making, i think i would just ignore them, because that sounded like 2nd grade material.

justincredible
05-11-2007, 01:50 PM
Pretty much and these guys don't know a whole-hell-of-a-lot about baseball. It's like Peter Gammons trying to tell a baby that Ryan Howard was the MVP last year.

I know the type all too well. It's best to ignore them 'cause it certainly isn't good for your mental health trying to carry on a legitimate discussion with them.

EddieMilner
05-11-2007, 01:53 PM
A few years ago I made the mistake of sitting in the bleachers for a Cubs - Reds game. I typically sit in the bleachers for non-Reds games, but when the Reds are at Wrigley I typically try to sit in an area more conducive to watching the game. On this day, my girlfriend had surprised me with tickets for the game. She was so excited and proud of the gift, that I didn't have the heart to tell her this was not a good idea. It was a weekday afternoon game, so I knew I would be one of the few non-Cubs fans in the bleachers.

I decided to go to the game with no Reds gear on. Try to silently cheer my Reds on to victory, that was the plan at least. In the bottom of the first inning Jason LaRue decides to make a great diving catch, and as a knee jerk reaction I stood up and yelled, "Great Catch, LaRue." The entire bleachers happened to be quiet and what felt like every pair of eyes turned squarely to me. The guy behind me yelled, "He's a REDS FAN!" And I proceeded to spend the next 8 innings getting harassed.

I took it pretty well, and laughed at most of it. However, one Cubs Fan was getting on my nerves, due mainly to his ignorance. He was holding up a poster that he made reading, "Nomar, hit a Homar" unfortunately Nomar was on the DL at this time (and he had been on there for some time). So this ****** said something that rubbed me the wrong way and I asked him, "How's Nomar doing today?" He responded with, "Awesome, like always." I responded to him, "you do know he's been on the DL for over a month, expletive head?" After that, most of the Cubs fans around me thought I was funny, and one guy even bought me a beer.

I still go to every Reds game I can at Wrigley, but I will NEVER sit in the bleachers for it again.

Also, this story is one of the reasons I always secretly hated Jason LaRue.

Chip R
05-11-2007, 02:01 PM
I took it pretty well, and laughed at most of it. However, one Cubs Fan was getting on my nerves, due mainly to his ignorance. He was holding up a poster that he made reading, "Nomar, hit a Homar" unfortunately Nomar was on the DL at this time (and he had been on there for some time). So this ****** said something that rubbed me the wrong way and I asked him, "How's Nomar doing today?" He responded with, "Awesome, like always." I responded to him, "you do know he's been on the DL for over a month, expletive head?" After that, most of the Cubs fans around me thought I was funny, and one guy even bought me a beer.

I still go to every Reds

:lol: :thumbup:

BCubb2003
05-11-2007, 02:02 PM
I know the type all too well. It's best to ignore them 'cause it certainly isn't good for your mental health trying to carry on a legitimate discussion with them.

Or maybe you could just ask them, would you rather have an OPS of 1.009 or .811? It would be cool to watch their heads explode, if you're not standing too close.

Redsland
05-11-2007, 02:04 PM
The guy behind me yelled, "He's a REDS FAN!"
Nothing gets past those guys.

:beerme:

justincredible
05-11-2007, 02:05 PM
Or maybe you could just ask them, would you rather have an OPS of 1.009 or .811? It would be cool to watch their heads explode, if you're not standing too close.

"OPS? Shoot, now you're just throwing three letters together to try and trick me!"

Will
05-11-2007, 05:21 PM
Just ask the Braves fans when was the last time they were in Atlanta for a game and if they plan on buying a package next year when the Braves aren't on TBS anymore.:cool:

HumnHilghtFreel
05-11-2007, 05:56 PM
I actually was talking to a guy recently who was bad mouthing the Reds and talking about how much their pitching sucks. I gave him the benefit of the doubt, maybe he was talking about the bullpen. Then the next thing out of his mouth was "I mean, Arroyo started out 0-3."

At that point I dismissed everything he was saying. I guess for some reason I expect everyone to be more than just a casual fan. I'm a diehard for every sport that I pay attention to, so I hate having conversations about sports with people outside of places like this because I don't feel like they can keep up with what I'm yapping on and on about. I feel at home here because I don't know half what a lot of posters here do.

Kingspoint
05-11-2007, 06:15 PM
Having Griffey on your side in an argument is like going into a knife-fight with a Howitzer.

MississippiRed
05-11-2007, 06:16 PM

I feel your pain. Here in Mississippi it's either Braves fans or Cardinal fans. Most of them have about the same level of knowledge you described.

redsmetz
05-11-2007, 06:48 PM
I feel your pain. Here in Mississippi it's either Braves fans or Cardinal fans. Most of them have about the same level of knowledge you described.

Unless you're in Tupelo, then you can listen to the Reds:

Tupelo WKMQ-AM 1060

NoCalRed
05-11-2007, 08:11 PM
Being a Reds fan living outside of the Cincinnati area for a long time I generally catch a lot of grief from fans of the local team. For almost the last 20 years it has been from Giants fans, A's fans generally keep quiet thanks the 90 world series ;) . Most of it is good natured since I am generally a pretty laid back guy, but sometimes it gets a little nasty and I just let go in one ear and out the other. I'll share one of the funny little pranks played on me recently. A couple of years back me and some of my co-workers were giving each other the business just before an upcoming weekend series between the Giants and Reds. Well as it turns out the Giants swept the Reds and I came into work on Monday to find the sports section of the local paper with giant headlines about the sweep on my keyboard and a broom sticking out of a hole on the edge of my cube wall. I chuckeld and swore we'd get even someday....hopefully.

Little OT here, but one thing Giants fans and us somewhat older Reds fans have in common is that we both HATE the Dodgers.:beerme:

vaticanplum
05-11-2007, 08:34 PM
Did anybody by chance hear the rundown of some Cincinnati sports survey on NPR this morning? I only caught the tail end, but apparently some guy at the University of Cincinnati conducted a study regarding sports fandom in the city (why, I have no idea, but there you are). His findings showed that even though more people identify themselves as Bengals fans than Reds fans, a greater percentage of people (60 to 40-ish, I think) still consider Cincinnati a baseball than a football fan. He also found, more interestingly, that people are harder on the Reds than the Bengals; a far smaller percentage of people were satisfied with the Reds' 80-82 record last year than the Bengals' 8-8, though of course they're very similar records.

I have no idea what that has to do with the price of tea in China, but I kind of wanted to see if anybody else heard any more details about it.

redsfan4445
05-11-2007, 08:44 PM
well i hear the same thing at my work.. "Griffey sucks, blah blah blah.". i said today as i wore his #3 shirt, that he is doing great and playing very well. and of course the "well next week he will get hurt..blah blah". i just ignore them now..i know these are the same fans that would have bashed him if he went to Atlanta instead of taking a hometown discount to come here.. so i let it go...im happy he is here..

pedro
05-11-2007, 08:50 PM
My ten years in Atlanta led me to believe that a good many Braves fans don't know jack.

TeamBoone
05-11-2007, 08:51 PM
the only problem is those great years for jr were with seattle, but with the kind of arguments they were making, i think i would just ignore them, because that sounded like 2nd grade material.

That's a lot to ask of a kid.

I would have, however, reminded them that Jr finished many many seasons... with Seattle... and just because he isn't the player now that he was then, he's still an excellent hitter honing in on 600 HRs, and he WILL be a first ballot hall of famer one day. In addition, except for the recent DISEASES, all but one of his injuries in Cincinnati were due to playing over-the-top baseball.

THEN I would ignore them.

Degenerate39
05-11-2007, 09:18 PM
That's a lot to ask of a kid.

I would have, however, reminded them that Jr finished many many seasons... with Seattle... and just because he isn't the player now that he was then, he's still an excellent hitter honing in on 600 HRs, and he WILL be a first ballot hall of famer one day. In addition, except for the recent DISEASES, all but one of his injuries in Cincinnati were due to playing over-the-top baseball.

THEN I would ignore them.

I plan on ignoring them after I remind them the Reds had a better record than the Braves last year :laugh:

reds44
05-11-2007, 09:21 PM
I know how you feel.

I live in Sycamore, Illinois (rep to anyone who can tell me where it is without cheating). It's all Cubs/Sox/Cardinals/and even the occasional Brewers fan.

I'm alone out here.

TeamBoone
05-11-2007, 10:23 PM
Both of you, wear your Reds gear proudy (especially a hat at all times).

Newman4
05-12-2007, 09:28 AM
I plan on ignoring them after I remind them the Reds had a better record than the Braves last year :laugh:

Hey where are you in WV that you're surrounded by Braves fans? I live close to WV and my mom is originally from Logan Co. and I don't understand the Braves preference.

Degenerate39
05-12-2007, 09:36 AM
Hey where are you in WV that you're surrounded by Braves fans? I live close to WV and my mom is originally from Logan Co. and I don't understand the Braves preference.

Oak Hill. I honestly don't know why everyone loves the Braves around here. There are a few Pirates fans, some Cardinals fans, but predominatly it's the Braves.

Newman4
05-12-2007, 10:05 AM
Oak Hill. I honestly don't know why everyone loves the Braves around here. There are a few Pirates fans, some Cardinals fans, but predominatly it's the Braves.

Same guys WVU fans? :rolleyes:

Degenerate39
05-12-2007, 10:50 AM
Same guys WVU fans? :rolleyes:

How'd you know?

Will
05-12-2007, 07:04 PM
WTBS stole many Reds fans in Southern WV during the 80s and 90s when there was no Reds TV coverage here. At present we just got TV coverage back due to Suddenlink giving us Fox Ohio for Reds games only. The rest of the time it's "The Jewelry Channel. Our normal Fox Sports channel is Fox Pittsburgh. In Beckley we still have no Reds radio coverage. WV splits at about the middle of the state going North into Pittsburgh country.

Mr.MojoRisin
05-13-2007, 03:58 PM
Man, I feel your pain. Sucks being the only Reds fan in town. I lived in Knoxville, TN for about 20 years and I can count the Reds fans on 1 hand down there.

scounts22
05-14-2007, 11:02 AM
I too know how you feel. I live about 45 minutes north of Columbus, where most people are Indians fans (when they're having a good year). Anyway, I'm a teacher and have a pretty big reds bulletin board in my classroom with a poster, flag, license plate, foam finger, fuzzy dice, etc. It has absolutely nothing to do with education, but it makes my classroom look awful purty! :D

My principal, who doesn't even really watch baseball but listens to sports scores on the radio, will never fail to ask me (in his overly sarcastic voice) how the Reds are doing when he knows very well they have just lost the night before. Then he'll proceed to give me some crap about the Indians, blah blah blah. It just makes my blood pressure boil because the only reason he says it is to get a reaction out of me. I, however, have learned my lesson and simply respond with a big flashy smile. And when he walks out of my room, I silenty curse him in my head like a sailor. :thumbup:

cincrazy
05-14-2007, 11:53 AM
Braves fans can chirp away at us all they want (I have a good friend who's a Braves fan), but all you have to say to them is, "How about that postseason success?" Five words. And they shut up.

bounty37h
05-14-2007, 12:12 PM
I live in NC, right outside Durham, which was the Braves A club for many, many years, so needless to say, Braves are the team around here. It is rare I see a Reds fan in this neck of the woods, my high school coach was a Reds fan, and would always yell across the school at me when I was wearing my Nasty Boys tshirt, or Hunt for a Reds October shirt....

Degenerate39
05-14-2007, 02:32 PM
The Braves fan said today at lunch "What a record 15-23" and I replied "What can you do?" I think that ends the arguement with us.