PDA

View Full Version : How does losing effect you ?

jmac
05-13-2007, 09:14 PM
In other words...are you a bandwagon fan and to what extent?
Myself...I have always followed the reds since around 78 and that includes the good years thru the 100 loss seasons into the Pete Rose managerial era and beyond.
This team really irks me cause of the winnable division as well as some of JN moves regarding the players.
As the losses mount ...just curious...how all of you handle it.
Myself
1: I still watch the reds but I dont have that "upset" at a loss as much when I really expect them to lose anyway.

2:I also and this may sound silly, but I dont watch as much Baseball Tonight and stuff like that cause I dont like seeing fun being poked at my Reds.

3:Also when the reds win, and I am going out with my family or at work and the Reds are on, I tape it and watch it later that day/night.
When they are playing like this...I dont bother taping, just check out the boxscore when I get home.

These are just a few things.
How about the rest of you....do you not listen/watch ? not go ?
How does the losing effect you ?

hebroncougar
05-13-2007, 09:16 PM
In other words...are you a bandwagon fan and to what extent?
Myself...I have always followed the reds since around 78 and that includes the good years thru the 100 loss seasons into the Pete Rose managerial era and beyond.
This team really irks me cause of the winnable division as well as some of JN moves regarding the players.
As the losses mount ...just curious...how all of you handle it.
Myself
1: I still watch the reds but I dont have that "upset" at a loss as much when I really expect them to lose anyway.

2:I also and this may sound silly, but I dont watch as much Baseball Tonight and stuff like that cause I dont like seeing fun being poked at my Reds.

3:Also when the reds win, and I am going out with my family or at work and the Reds are on, I tape it and watch it later that day/night.
When they are playing like this...I dont bother taping, just check out the boxscore when I get home.

I'm just glad I have EI, so I don't have to just watch the Reds. They will always be my favorite team, no matter what, it's just sometimes............I don't know, it's frustrating. :bang:

Matt700wlw
05-13-2007, 09:17 PM
I'll be here all season....I'll just be quite cynical :)

captainmorgan07
05-13-2007, 09:18 PM
im here all season as well but it kinda ruins my day anymore when the bullpen blows a game everyday

WMR
05-13-2007, 09:18 PM
Somewhat upset ... not like it ruins my day or anything ...

but then after it reaches a certain point, which we've just about reached if we haven't already, I watch the games with a sort of detached bemusement; still hoping for a good result, but expecting further crappiness. At that point it becomes much easier to laugh off.

HumnHilghtFreel
05-13-2007, 09:29 PM
I'm a Reds/Cavs/Cowboys fan. Losing/disappointing seasons have become a part of me lol.

My shift slowly focuses from watching my favorite team to watching my favorite players, but I still love to watch my team. If they're REALLY bad(think the year the Cavs won I think it was 14 games) it may even feel like there's reason to celebrate a win, because you might not experience it much again that year.

It sounds kind of pathetic, but I just enjoy the show either way.

Degenerate39
05-13-2007, 09:30 PM
I'll be here all season....I'll just be quite cynical :)

Same here :(

TOBTTReds
05-13-2007, 09:44 PM

This is identical to me, except I will still tape the games if I am out. But I tend to watch all the games until around August if we are way out of it. But right now, I still try to watch every pitch. My work situation is a bit different this year, so that has changed things.

TOBTTReds
05-13-2007, 09:45 PM
I'm a Reds/Cavs/Cowboys fan. Losing/disappointing seasons have become a part of me lol.

What planet are you from? Cowboys? That is a perrenial winner in my mind, and I'm only 22.

Ltlabner
05-13-2007, 09:46 PM
I guess I'm a bad fan.

Doesn't "effect" me at all. Sure it's frustrating when they lose one they *should* have one. But from a macro sense, this team wasn't supposed to be much better than medicore so a bad week here and there isn't really a big deal IMO.

For me, baseball is an escape from relality. While I certinally would like to see the Reds win the WS and be a dominate force, all I really want is to be able to go to the ballpark and see some baseball being played. I'm not the stereotypical sports fan who lives and dies with his favorite team, being estatic when they win and having a bad day when they lose. Little things like life, my job, relationship with Mrs. Ltlabner, children, maintaining the house are what effects my week. Not baseball.

Like I said, maybe I'm not a real fan. (shrug) [world famous shrug, copyright Remdog. Choose, but choose wisely]

HumnHilghtFreel
05-13-2007, 09:49 PM
What planet are you from? Cowboys? That is a perrenial winner in my mind, and I'm only 22.

Ehh, the pre-Parcells era was kinda miserable. And I'm only 18, so I really missed the SB runs.

Edskin
05-13-2007, 09:54 PM
Totally effects me. Same goes for the Redskins and Cavs.

Football can sometimes be the most brutal, because each game is so crucial--a particularly tough loss can dampen my entire week. And when the Redskins are out of it late in the season, it really takes away from the holidays for me.

Baseball is different. There isn't ever that "crashing" feeling when it all hits you at once. Instead, it's like a constant frustration gnawing at you.

As a die-hard, I hold on until the last possible hope, but when the Reds play like this, it ABSOLUTELY takes away from my enjoyment of baseball in general. When we're going good, I try and watch other games, BBTN, etc... as often as possible. When it's like this, I almost wish baseball would just disappear. I cringed when I saw Brewers-Mets highlights today because all I can think about was, "Wow, their fans must be having a lot of fun right now."

edogg07
05-13-2007, 10:49 PM
Baseball is my favorite sport by far and the reds my farvorite team. I have cerbral pulsy so i was never able to play sports. So i really leave and die with my teams and big who dey also! I just something could change this with this team i know they want to win but they have to do what it takes to win. Here's starting a good streak tommorrow in san deigo!!:beerme:

Mr.MojoRisin
05-13-2007, 10:52 PM
I'm a diehard Reds fan for life, always have been always will be. I'm with them whether they win or loose, but man I just want some kind of post-season. Man that would feel good. I love them and always will, but it would be nice to see them ahead.

TexasRed
05-13-2007, 11:01 PM
For about the first month I was getting really upset when we lost... I thought the team was good then (Oh, to live the dream). Now I think I have realized how bad they really are. I still watch most games, but it's not like everyting stops so I can tune in..... If they loose, well they suck so it's no big deal. At least my blood pressure is better.....

Now I'm more like a guy driving by some wreck on the side of the road..... Rubber necking to see the carnage... Will they fire the skipper? Fire Sale? Any lost limbs?

NorrisHopper30
05-13-2007, 11:01 PM
I'm a fan no matter what, the only way it affects me is all the people around me at school and in public are completely negative and it really bugs me.

Cedric
05-13-2007, 11:38 PM
I'm now just waiting for the drama.

WVRedsFan
05-13-2007, 11:52 PM
After 46 years, i still react the same. I don't exactly get dedpressed, but it ruins my day and then when we come to what we've become this year, i get disgusted, sarcastic, cynical and all sorts of things. I know it's just a game, but it is what I do all summer and I get resentful of Reds ownership, management, and sometimes (though not often) players.

Today, after the Reds gave up the run to give the Dodgers the lead, I turned the TV off and did something else. I should have gone to Darlington and covered the NASCAR race. I should have washed the car. I should have done any number of things I needed to do instead of wasting my time watching a hopeless team travel downhill to 100 losses. But I can't stop watching. It's been 46 years now.

reds1869
05-13-2007, 11:56 PM
Losing stinks of course. I love the Reds, but more importantly I love baseball. There is no such thing as a bad day at the ballpark or a boring season in my book. I'll be there every game for the rest of the year, always finding something to smile about, even if my blood boils at the same time.

WVPacman
05-14-2007, 12:18 AM
Totally effects me. Same goes for the Redskins and Cavs.

Football can sometimes be the most brutal, because each game is so crucial--a particularly tough loss can dampen my entire week. And when the Redskins are out of it late in the season, it really takes away from the holidays for me.

Baseball is different. There isn't ever that "crashing" feeling when it all hits you at once. Instead, it's like a constant frustration gnawing at you.

As a die-hard, I hold on until the last possible hope, but when the Reds play like this, it ABSOLUTELY takes away from my enjoyment of baseball in general. When we're going good, I try and watch other games, BBTN, etc... as often as possible. When it's like this, I almost wish baseball would just disappear. I cringed when I saw Brewers-Mets highlights today because all I can think about was, "Wow, their fans must be having a lot of fun right now."

Edskin,you are a Skins fan? Ah you have just become my best friend on here.Don't pay no mind to that HumnHilghtFreel poster b/c hes a cowboys fan.:D

WVPacman
05-14-2007, 12:21 AM
When the reds loses a game it makes me mad exspecially when we are still in the race.If they are out of the race and lose a game it still makes me mad but I get over it easier b/c I know they are already out of it.

Edd Roush
05-14-2007, 12:36 AM

This is me right now in a nutshell. I really can't stand to be reminded of the Reds' losing ways. Therefore, after every game the Reds lose, I can't stand to watch Baseball Tonight or even Sportscenter. So jmac, you aren't alone in your ways. It's not like I've really missed anything any ways, with NASCAR, NBA and NHL being the only other sports going.

But still an ugly Reds' loss like the ones I've been dealing with the last couple days sure do put a damper on the day.

Spring~Fields
05-14-2007, 01:08 AM
I was really was going to propose a thread like this in non-baseball during the past two weeks but I shied away from posting it.

I am surprised that someone actually asked the straight forward and honest question. I too wanted to know what other’s felt and how they dealt with their thoughts and feeling over a team that they love so much and were emotionally invested in when it is struggling or doing poorly.

I thought that I might pick up some wise advise or insights from others that I could adopt and apply.

For me words like forlorn, disappointment, turn to cynical and skeptical and then once my skepticism is confirmed by the won-loss record frustration sets in knowing that they are what they are at this time and that to turn around any organization takes considerable time if not years.

The whole thought process become disheartened and eventually I have to make a choice or decision. Sometimes if something is not healthy or adding to ones life they have to detach from it. The Reds success or failure is not something that I can control, and their problems when emotional attached to them are somewhat like being emotionally attached when a family member or close friend is going through serious problems, it becomes very disappointing and there is much chagrin and dismay, but little that I as an interloper can do. So I have to let go if it troubles me in an emotional way.

And then, and then, I look at the Reds from a management or leadership in organizations point of view and realize that they don’t have to be this way and then the ambiguity really gets me frustrated. I won’t subject myself to poor product or service for very long in most cases when loyalty and a lacking of mutual exchange does not exist, but the Reds are somewhat addictive.

Reds Freak
05-14-2007, 01:19 AM
Interesting question...When the Reds are playing this poorly and are so far out of it, I don't plan my day around watching or attending the Reds game. If they are in the race, I do my best to block out the hours from 7-10 P.M. in the summer. However, now if I see the game great but I'm not upset if I don't get to see it. Right now, I really have no desire to go down to Great American and watch a game. I'm very quick to turn the game off if they start sucking but I don't have that luxury if I'm at the game. I'll start getting interested when they bring up the youngsters again. I love baseball and couldn't imagine a summer without it, so if the Reds are playing like crap I'll go to more little league, high school, or college games to get my fix.

sonny
05-14-2007, 01:36 AM
Baseball's funny. If the Bengals lose a game thats like the Reds losing 10.125 games in a row, only encapsulated in the same 2 1/2 hour timeframe.

Baseball losses make sense, in a way: Playing the game right and doing your job will greatly increase your chances of winning but bad choices by managers, mental blunders and the severity of the schedule take their tolls on a team.Talent plays a big role, but there are so many variables in a baseball season Baseball losses happen more frequently . It's a long stretch and the greatest teams LOSE 62 games a year.

So, if your baseball team is bad, losses feel routine eventually.

bounty37h
05-14-2007, 12:23 PM
I will alwyas stick by my Reds, through thick and thin. Obviously, I guess most of us on here will, cause, well, we are here now, adn there sure has been more then our fair shair of thin lately. There are prob many here that have never even tasted Reds success, but are fans, and anxiously await our turn. That said, I get sooo excited every February, as life begins to appear again, and the world seems right once again, adn I start to think, man, this could be the Reds year!!! Spring training gets the cobwebs cleared, muscles loosened, and stats reviewed, as we all ponder what changes have or hav enot been made that are goign to make this "the year". Opening Day, heck, we are Reds fans, no more needed to be said about opening day!!! First win, man, we are great, the road is open and ours to take. Next day, a loss, ok, thats alright, he got lucky on that pitch, or Ed will learn to make that throw, so it wont hinder us too long throughout the season. Next night, good win, let me look at the box score, read the stats, etc... Next night, another loss, thats ok, the pen will pick em up next time. This goes on a few weeks till we sort of start to get an idea of what we have or dont have, and ideas of what we can do to tighten ship. More losses pile on, and we are all still here, but maybe with different ideas or opinions, some here to blame and point fingers, hang someone if need be, while the other half see's it another way, bad luck here, slump there, but will be righted. Still Reds fans through it all. Once we hit this part, I sometimes take a backseat, watching from a distance (OK, I live in NC< so any game is a distance) maybe not looking at the boxscores anymore after losing 7 of 8, etc...but, still wear my Reds hat proudly, and stand up for my team. I might start to follow minor league ball a little closer, as that is what is available where I live. But no matter what, end of day, end of bad season, I am still a Reds fan, to the end!

SunDeck
05-14-2007, 02:23 PM
It all depends on what kind of losing. This losing is perfectly predictable so there really is no reason to pay attention. If, on the other hand, the Reds were losing but it was not in the same way every single night, I might check out the box scores or read articles more than I do now.

At this point though, I just look at the summary to see if innings 5-9 will have any surprises...like no runs for the opposing team.

Fullboat
05-14-2007, 02:51 PM
Reds fan since 75 (because of a $5.00 bet with my friends who were
die hard Sox fans)been hooked ever since.In 1986 I was rooting for the
Sox to finally win one after all these years and well we all know what happened to the Sox in 86(my friends were devestaded :( :D ) As for
football were all Pats fans (no problemo there :thumbup: )but just once
I would like to watch a late Sept football game and still have my Reds
be in the race.

I've witness 3 World Championships and 3 SB to my friends 1 World
Championship and 3 SB.:thumbup:

2001MUgrad
05-14-2007, 04:11 PM
When they are in the hunt the L's are painful almost. When the wins come its so exciting. When losing becomes a habit, I look forward to nights they are not on TV so I won't be tempted to watch. Sometimes its just painful to watch if the fundementals are bad.

Redlegs
05-14-2007, 04:53 PM
I get more done around the house when the Reds lose. I'll get disgusted, go do a task, come back, get disgusted again, go do another task, etc.

My wife roots like hell for the opponents. :D

Redlegs
05-14-2007, 04:55 PM
Sometimes its just painful to watch if the fundementals are bad.

True. Also, watching bad relief pitching is like bleeding to death. :bang:

dman
05-14-2007, 04:56 PM
Other than the 1995 and 1999 teams, losing is becoming quite the way of life as a Reds fan. You learn to accept it for what it is, enjoy the winning streaks and the good moments.

I'm starting to believe that this team will be in an eternal state of "rebuilding for the future" no matter who the owner or GM is. That's just the way it is.

vaticanplum
05-14-2007, 07:39 PM
Other than the 1995 and 1999 teams, losing is becoming quite the way of life as a Reds fan.

They had a bit of a run in the 70s I hear ;)

dman
05-14-2007, 08:02 PM
They had a bit of a run in the 70s I hear ;)

I was more/less referring to the most recent moments. But you are quite correct:thumbup:

The Crosley Kid
05-15-2007, 12:45 AM
It doesn't affect me much. This is my hometown team, I have never rooted for any other, and I never stop rooting. I love baseball, and every game is good. It is a graceful dance, and I don't care if my dancers aren't the best on the stage. It's all beautiful.

Driver62
05-15-2007, 12:17 PM
I've been a fan of the Reds since the late 1940's and I'll watch all the games on TV except for a few night games on the west coast. (we old guys need our sleep.:) ).
I realize the team stinks it up on a regular basis but I still watch.
I do cringe whenever we bring in a relief pitcher and I do scratch my head a lot when I see some of Narron's decisions.
But the Reds are my team and always will be so I still support them.

gonelong
05-15-2007, 12:36 PM
When I expect them to Win and they lose, I take it to heart.

This season I expected them to be mediocre to bad so the losing doesn't affect me in the least. I went in to the season expecting to focus on the individual players more than the team itself, because that is where I would draw the most entertainment.

GL