PDA

View Full Version : Rotoworld's Matthew Pouliot talks about Reds

AtomicDumpling
05-14-2007, 01:29 PM
Quote from Matthew Pouliot's Strike Zone column on Rotoworld.com today:

It dates back prior to the start of GM Wayne Krivsky's tenure, but the Reds have probably been guilty of more in-season self-destructive behavior than any team in baseball over the last few years. There was the demotion of Austin Kearns in 2005, followed by last year's Kearns-Felipe Lopez deal and subsequent Rheal Cormier acquisition. Now the Reds have sent down Edwin Encarnacion, mostly because the bullpen has been so awful. There's also the sometimes bizarre lineups employed by Jerry Narron and last year's uncalled for switch from David Weathers to Todd Coffey in the closer's role. Krivsky has had his moments since replacing Dan O'Brien, but they've largely come in the offseason. Going back four or five years now, I don't think there's another team in baseball that has cost itself more games with bad in-season decision making than Cincinnati.

Falls City Beer
05-14-2007, 01:32 PM

It dates back prior to the start of GM Wayne Krivsky's tenure, but the Reds have probably been guilty of more in-season self-destructive behavior than any team in baseball over the last few years. There was the demotion of Austin Kearns in 2005, followed by last year's Kearns-Felipe Lopez deal and subsequent Rheal Cormier acquisition. Now the Reds have sent down Edwin Encarnacion, mostly because the bullpen has been so awful. There's also the sometimes bizarre lineups employed by Jerry Narron and last year's uncalled for switch from David Weathers to Todd Coffey in the closer's role. Krivsky has had his moments since replacing Dan O'Brien, but they've largely come in the offseason. Going back four or five years now, I don't think there's another team in baseball that has cost itself more games with bad in-season decision making than Cincinnati.

I agree completely with this. Plus it cuts to the heart of what I've preached for so long: in-season tweaking.

It really is what separates successful underdogs (A's, Astros) from teams that get trodden underfoot.

Wayne tweaks alright, but he has done nothing but push the wrong buttons (outside of the Phillips acquisition).

Will M
05-14-2007, 01:33 PM

I disagree completely with this.

membengal
05-14-2007, 01:35 PM
Why Will? Because of the huge number of wins the Reds have racked up in that span?????

NoColonBoy
05-14-2007, 01:41 PM
My beef with Wayne--who I generally do like--is that he "overtweaks" in my mind. I call it the "one is good, two is better approach."

Why just trade Kearns or Lopez for a middle reliever when you can trade both for two?

If one season of Rheal Cormier is good. . .

Why sign 50 year old Mike Stanton to one year when you can guarantee a second?

Wayne's good/great moves (Phillips, Hamilton) get buried under the weight of his bad ones.

Also, while I am in no way saying that Justin Germano is the answer, or even an answer, to the pitching woes, he would look much better today in a Reds uni than Rheal Cormier looks in street clothes.

durl
05-14-2007, 01:47 PM
I disagree for the most part, also.

The Reds have made some bad decisions but most were in the referenced "four or five years" when O'Brien and Bowden were running the show. I agree that Krivsky has made some poor decisions. However, he's made many good ones.

And why does this guy rip the Reds for sending down Kearns and EE when they were both mired in deep slumps? Young players in their first couple years of major league service with remaining options SHOULD go down if they need to work in order to help the team. That's why they have options.

On the whole, this paragraph reads like a knee-jerk report without attempting to comprehend the whole picture.

PuffyPig
05-14-2007, 01:51 PM
If one season of Rheal Cormier is good. . .

Why sign 50 year old Mike Stanton to one year when you can guarantee a second?

While not trying to defens Wayne here, Cormier wouldn't approve the trade unless he was extened. Stanton was offered 2 years elsewhere.

Now, we can debate the actual descisions that were made, but I doubt that Wayne prefered 2 year deals over a 1 year deal, he felt (obviously) he had no choice if he wanted those players.

Will M
05-14-2007, 01:58 PM
I disagree for the most part, also.

The Reds have made some bad decisions but most were in the referenced "four or five years" when O'Brien and Bowden were running the show. I agree that Krivsky has made some poor decisions. However, he's made many good ones.

And why does this guy rip the Reds for sending down Kearns and EE when they were both mired in deep slumps? Young players in their first couple years of major league service with remaining options SHOULD go down if they need to work in order to help the team. That's why they have options.

On the whole, this paragraph reads like a knee-jerk report without attempting to comprehend the whole picture.

:thumbup:

What ~90% of national media report about the Reds can be ignored. They don't follow the team. Posters however like to 'cherry pick' articles that support their own point of view.

My opnion:

Kearns - glad he is gone. ( Lopez too ).

EE - if his attitude and play don't improve then I never want to see him in a Reds uniform again.

Rheal Cormier acquisition - didn't work out. I'll agree with him. Cost the Reds Justin Germano and ~$3M. However Cormier was leading the NL in ERA when we got him. I am not going to crucify Wayne on this one.

" last year's uncalled for switch from David Weathers to Todd Coffey in the closer's role. " Weathers was TERRIBLE early last year and deserved to be sent to middle relief.

texasdave
05-14-2007, 02:08 PM
Not too mention the in-season acquisition of Eddie Guardado which worked out well until injury. How about the purchase of Schoeneweiss from Toronto? That worked out pretty well. IIRC many on this message board applauded the move of Coffey to closer. It was a sound move at the time, it simply did not work out. If Wayne is guilty in that instance then most of Redszone needs to get in line behind him. Wayne wasn't even around in 2005 but the fact remains that Kearns was OPSing .700 when sent down. He OPSed .850 after his recall. Another terrible move I suppose.

edabbs44
05-14-2007, 02:13 PM
While not trying to defens Wayne here, Cormier wouldn't approve the trade unless he was extened. Stanton was offered 2 years elsewhere.

Now, we can debate the actual descisions that were made, but I doubt that Wayne prefered 2 year deals over a 1 year deal, he felt (obviously) he had no choice if he wanted those players.

Wayne extended Cormier and he was released about 1/6th of the way into the extension. Stanton is about 1/12th into his contract and he is as good as gone. I couldn't care less if Cormier would or wouldn't have approved the trade without the extension or if Stanton would have went elsewhere w/o the 2nd year.

bucksfan2
05-14-2007, 03:15 PM
Wayne extended Cormier and he was released about 1/6th of the way into the extension. Stanton is about 1/12th into his contract and he is as good as gone. I couldn't care less if Cormier would or wouldn't have approved the trade without the extension or if Stanton would have went elsewhere w/o the 2nd year.

Wayne did extend Cormier but I believe that was in order to get the trade done.

Falls City Beer
05-14-2007, 03:21 PM
:thumbup:

What ~90% of national media report about the Reds can be ignored. They don't follow the team. Posters however like to 'cherry pick' articles that support their own point of view.

This is one of the worst posts I've ever read on this site.

Folks--posters who follow the Reds religiously--who happen to disagree with what the FO is doing to this team are just "cherry-picking" naysayers.

What a load of horsecrap. What a waste of my 15 seconds.

edabbs44
05-14-2007, 03:27 PM
Wayne did extend Cormier but I believe that was in order to get the trade done.

If Wayne gave him $10 million, would it be OK since he needed to do it to get the trade done? That's bogus. It's not like Cormier was some top-shelf reliever that you go the extra mile for to put you over the top and into October.

robmadden1
05-14-2007, 03:33 PM
Stanton is not 50 he will be 40 next moth so get your facts straight. Check the date of birth before you post an age.

bucksfan2
05-14-2007, 03:34 PM
If Wayne gave him $10 million, would it be OK since he needed to do it to get the trade done? That's bogus. It's not like Cormier was some top-shelf reliever that you go the extra mile for to put you over the top and into October.

I am not saying it was right or wrong. At the time Cormier had the best era of any relievers in the national league and the reds needed help. In order for the trade to get done he needed to extend Frenchy. Would I have done it, no, but there were a lot of people out there who wanted to the reds to make a run at the post season.

Razor Shines
05-14-2007, 03:43 PM

Yeah sending down EE has a lot to do with why the Reds are struggling this year.:rolleyes: EE could stay up or go down, it's not going to make any difference either way on this season. It's pitching, and we don't have any in the pen.

Everybody was calling for Todd Coffey to be made the closer last year. And if Narron hadn't given him a shot to be the closer people would still using it as another example of how Narron favors vets over young guys. At the time it was a good decision. Coffey was pitching lights out at the time, and to use that now as an example of a poor "in-season" move is dumb or even "uncalled for", IMO.