PDA

View Full Version : Joe Girardi anyone?

Matt700wlw
05-14-2007, 07:05 PM
From a baseball source (Lance's source, not mine) on the thought of managing the Reds

"I not only believe he'd be interested in the job, but he would take it, if the money was right. He knows what that teams has, what's coming off the books in the next year or two money wise and what is coming up in their system. He would change that team. In the clubhouse it's Joe's way or the highway."

He added, "It's only tough to play for Joe, if you don't play the game the right way."

Before you go and rip Lance and his "baseball source," just remember who had the Thom Brennaman and Jeff Brantley to the booth news before anybody else...

justincredible
05-14-2007, 07:07 PM
He's not Narron and wouldn't have been promoted from within. I'd be on board.

jojo
05-14-2007, 07:10 PM
I'm not really a big fan of Girardi.....picture the volatility of Ozzie without half of the talent to make him look good...

hebroncougar
05-14-2007, 07:11 PM
I'm not convinced the Reds will fire Narron anytime soon.

Screwball
05-14-2007, 07:13 PM
I'm reminded of what a poster by the handle of ramp101 had to say about Girardi...

"Man, nobody liked Girardi last year on the Marlins save for 2 veterans. I don't remember a whole lot because I have blocked most of last year out but here is what I do remember. The no facial hair policy. You wouldn't think it was a big deal, but when atleast 15 players showed up to camp this year with facial hair, you knew what was up.

He had no idea how to run a bullpen and has no clue how to judge talent. This is the same manager who wanted Mike Jacobs to be in the minors and Josh Willingham behind homeplate. He wanted Josh Johnson to be in AA while retreads like Brian Moehler to get most of the starts in the 3rd spot in the rotation.

He talked back to his owner and told him to "f" himself. This is the same guy who routinely bunted with Dan Uggla (hitting 2nd in the order). The same Dan Uggla who set a rookie record with 27 homeruns at 2B. This is the same guy who routinely started Alfredo Amezaga in CF vs lefties, when his career OPS vs them is under .400.

I have never hated a manager so much in my life. And I had to deal with Jeff Torborg, so that's saying alot.

hope that helps"

Not exactly a ringing endoresment from someone who actually followed the Marlins last year.

KoryMac5
05-14-2007, 07:24 PM
Joe may have learned from his experience with the Marlins last year, I am leaning more towards Kelly being the guy just because of the Twins connection. I would imagine that Girardi or Kelly would want more $$$ than Narron makes currently.

Matt700wlw
05-14-2007, 07:26 PM
Joe may have learned from his experience with the Marlins last year, I am leaning more towards Kelly being the guy just because of the Twins connection. I would imagine that Girardi or Kelly would want more $$$ than Narron makes currently.

Any manager is going to want more money than Narron makes currently.

You get what you pay for....you want a better manager? You want a manger than can lead this team into the future (whomever that may be)? Pay up!

Unassisted
05-14-2007, 07:34 PM
Everyone should read the opinion of RedsZone's favorite Marlins fan (http://www.redszone.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1342219&postcount=16) before they get too excited about Girardi. This grass isn't necessarily greener...

redsfanmia
05-14-2007, 07:36 PM
If the Reds could get Tom Kelly on board that would be a great hire, he would absolutley set these guys straight and wouldnt put up with anyones stuff. Tom Kelly would be my first choice to replace Narron.

Ron Madden
05-14-2007, 07:40 PM
You get what you pay for.

Jerry Narron
Dave Miley
Bob Boone
Jack McKeon
Ray Knight

Four of the Reds last five Managers will probably never Manage another MLB Team.

I don't know who should replace Narron but this organization has to avoid the mistakes of the past.

Chip R
05-14-2007, 07:45 PM
Terrific. Another ex-catcher. Seems to me that the best managers the Reds have had in the past 40 years have been middle infielders.

StillFunkyB
05-14-2007, 07:52 PM
Terrific. Another ex-catcher. Seems to me that the best managers the Reds have had in the past 40 years have been middle infielders.

Barry Larkin anyone?

Wheelhouse
05-14-2007, 07:53 PM
I'm reminded of what a poster by the handle of ramp101 had to say about Girardi...

"Man, nobody liked Girardi last year on the Marlins save for 2 veterans. I don't remember a whole lot because I have blocked most of last year out but here is what I do remember. The no facial hair policy. You wouldn't think it was a big deal, but when atleast 15 players showed up to camp this year with facial hair, you knew what was up.

He had no idea how to run a bullpen and has no clue how to judge talent. This is the same manager who wanted Mike Jacobs to be in the minors and Josh Willingham behind homeplate. He wanted Josh Johnson to be in AA while retreads like Brian Moehler to get most of the starts in the 3rd spot in the rotation.

He talked back to his owner and told him to "f" himself. This is the same guy who routinely bunted with Dan Uggla (hitting 2nd in the order). The same Dan Uggla who set a rookie record with 27 homeruns at 2B. This is the same guy who routinely started Alfredo Amezaga in CF vs lefties, when his career OPS vs them is under .400.

I have never hated a manager so much in my life. And I had to deal with Jeff Torborg, so that's saying alot.

hope that helps"

Not exactly a ringing endoresment from someone who actually followed the Marlins last year.

1) I don't think it's a bad thing if players aren't warm and fuzzy over their manager.

2) Of course the rookies hated the no facial hair policy.

3) He can't handle a bullpen nearly as poorly as Narron.

4) His team improved the longer he was there. Narron's has gotten worse.

5) Loria is a goof and deserved to be told what he was told.

6) Along with his 27 HRs Uggla had 123 strikeouts. I can imagine instances where you would want to bunt him.

Matt700wlw
05-14-2007, 07:53 PM
Barry Larkin anyone?

Not sure if Larkin should be in the dugout as long as Griffey is still here...

I'd love him in the organization, though.

StillFunkyB
05-14-2007, 07:55 PM

Why? Because they are friends?

reds44
05-14-2007, 07:55 PM

Did him and Griffey not get along or something?

You could do at lot worse then Girardi, although he would not be at the top of my list. I'm not sure you can do much better in season though.

Matt700wlw
05-14-2007, 07:57 PM
Did him and Griffey not get along or something?

You could do at lot worse then Girardi, although he would not be at the top of my list. I'm not sure you can do much better in season though.

Him and Griffey are good buddies....not sure if it would be healthy for the clubhouse if Larkin managed his good buddy (Dunn too)...you thought Narron played favorites...

Maybe down the road...

KoryMac5
05-14-2007, 10:23 PM
It seems to me that Cast would want to make a splash with this hiring, get some fan interest let people know the front office isn't waving the white flag. Tom Kelly seems to be a good pick, and a good fit with Krivs. Another name might be Jayhawk Owens, hometown kid played with the Rockies and is managing in AA. We'll see after San Diego.

cacollinsmba
05-14-2007, 10:27 PM
Barry Larkin anyone?

Rolando Roomes may be available also.

Petitt33
05-14-2007, 10:51 PM
Did Girardi ever play for the Twins?

Matt700wlw
05-14-2007, 11:00 PM
Did Girardi ever play for the Twins?

I'm sure he played against them :D

fewfirstchoice
05-15-2007, 12:55 AM
As bad as I hate to say it guys Narrons not going anywhere.The Reds brass Wayne and Mr. Castelini(spelling)love Narron for some strange reason.I cant figure it out because he sure has no ideal how to manage a team and win with them.But the brass has mad man love for Narron and he isnt going anywhere.But I would love to see Joe here if the oppurtunity presents itself.

Screwball
05-15-2007, 01:17 AM
1) I don't think it's a bad thing if players aren't warm and fuzzy over their manager.

2) Of course the rookies hated the no facial hair policy.

3) He can't handle a bullpen nearly as poorly as Narron.

4) His team improved the longer he was there. Narron's has gotten worse.

5) Loria is a goof and deserved to be told what he was told.

6) Along with his 27 HRs Uggla had 123 strikeouts. I can imagine instances where you would want to bunt him.

Those are all fair and valid points, but I guess what I was trying to say is that Girardi isn't the knight in white armor a lot of Reds fans seem to think he is. He did well with a talented young roster, but I'm not sure if he'd be the answer to our prayers. I'd like to see how Narron does with guys in the bullpen that can actually, ya know, get batters out.

GoGoWhiteSox
05-15-2007, 01:22 AM
Tom Kelly could be a good fit, but convincing him to come out of retirement to manage the Reds would prove to be a difficult task. I don't see him coming to Cincinnati.

While we're talking about managers, whatever happened to Cito Gaston?:confused:

windycitybuck
05-15-2007, 01:57 AM
i'm so tired of this... what is this "him and griffey" crap?!? it's "he and griffey" LEARN TO SPEAK ENGLISH FOR GOD"S SAKE!!

BEETTLEBUG
05-15-2007, 02:02 AM
I know Bucky is in house but do you think he is firey enuff (spelling)

Wheelhouse
05-15-2007, 02:13 AM
Those are all fair and valid points, but I guess what I was trying to say is that Girardi isn't the knight in white armor a lot of Reds fans seem to think he is. He did well with a talented young roster, but I'm not sure if he'd be the answer to our prayers. I'd like to see how Narron does with guys in the bullpen that can actually, ya know, get batters out.

I see what you're saying, and I'd like to see Narron get a performing bullpen too--but it seems, in all of his managing career, he's never had one. Bad luck? Maybe. Or maybe he has difficulty managing bullpens. Eventually you've got to ask that because there's a real trend there. If anything, Girardi would put an end to this clubhouse ethos that is just poison. The Reds need to learn a "great clubhouse" is a winning clubhouse, and nothing else.

camisadelgolf
05-15-2007, 02:47 AM
I think they're grooming Juan Castro to be the next manager.

WMR
05-15-2007, 03:14 AM
I think they're grooming Juan Castro to be the next manager.

I was thinking more along the lines of "3rd baseman for life" a la the other Castro.

sonny
05-15-2007, 04:18 AM
We should not get excited just yet. We need to hear WK's "Vote of confidence" in Jerry Narron, then we can speculate. ;)

bucksfan2
05-15-2007, 08:19 AM
The manager is the boss. I dont care if you like it or not, just play for him. Narron is the boss but wants to be the player's friend. Look how well that has worked for him. I kinda liked the no facial hair policy that the reds used to have. Kind of made them more clean cut than most the rest of the teams.

Always Red
05-15-2007, 08:43 AM
Girardi? Sure, why not. Assuming Narron is going to be fired of course. I'd probably only give him a 2 year contract, since Cast and him (I don't know, is it him or he, I'd hate to make a grammer mistake and be publicly corrected by the English teacher here on this thread...)

....anyway, since Girardi will be at war with Cast after the first year, and will need to be fired, I'd probably go with a one or two year contract.

As for the discipline, maybe that's just what this team needs. They seem to be a little soft to me, backing down from most challenges, crumping during times of stress and pressure. Sensitive types like EE will need to develop a little thicker skin if Mr. Girardi is their manager.

Always Red
05-15-2007, 08:44 AM
i'm so tired of this... what is this "him and griffey" crap?!? it's "he and griffey" LEARN TO SPEAK ENGLISH FOR GOD"S SAKE!!

that's helpful...btw, shouldn't you capitalize "Griffey?"

44Magnum
05-15-2007, 11:32 AM
I would take Girardi in a heartbeat. He has to better than Narron.

aodaniel
05-15-2007, 12:25 PM

Ah oh, no rep points for you.;)

OesterPoster
05-15-2007, 12:45 PM
I would take Girardi in a heartbeat. He has to better than Narron.

I thought the same thing when Miley was hired after Bob Buffoon. Can't be worse, right?

I thought the same thing when Narron was hired after Miley. Can't be worse, right?

Those who ignore history are destined to repeat it...or something like that.

Matt700wlw
05-15-2007, 02:40 PM
Girardi? Sure, why not. Assuming Narron is going to be fired of course. I'd probably only give him a 2 year contract, since Cast and him (I don't know, is it him or he, I'd hate to make a grammer mistake and be publicly corrected by the English teacher here on this thread...)

....anyway, since Girardi will be at war with Cast after the first year, and will need to be fired, I'd probably go with a one or two year contract.

As for the discipline, maybe that's just what this team needs. They seem to be a little soft to me, backing down from most challenges, crumping during times of stress and pressure. Sensitive types like EE will need to develop a little thicker skin if Mr. Girardi is their manager.

Just because Girardi didn't get along with Marlin's ownership, doesn't mean he wouldn't get along with Catellini....

Matt700wlw
05-15-2007, 02:42 PM
I thought the same thing when Miley was hired after Bob Buffoon. Can't be worse, right?

I thought the same thing when Narron was hired after Miley. Can't be worse, right?

Those who ignore history are destined to repeat it...or something like that.

Miley and Boone were never won a Manger of the Year award....

I think Girardi IS better than these 3 guys who will never manage in Major League Baseball again.

texasdave
05-15-2007, 02:46 PM
The title of this thread intrigues me. Do you want him to manage or catch? He would probably be an improvement in either area. :)

Always Red
05-15-2007, 02:53 PM
The title of this thread intrigues me. Do you want him to manage or catch? He would probably be an improvement in either area. :)

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Unassisted
05-15-2007, 06:13 PM
Just because Girardi didn't get along with Marlin's ownership, doesn't mean he wouldn't get along with Catellini....

Is Bob big on backtalk and vulgarity?

If the next manager is destined to be a loudmouth disciplinarian, I'd rather see the Reds bring in Buck Showalter.

Someone should ask Marty for his opinion on that idea during the next Banana Phone segment. :evil:

Matt700wlw
05-15-2007, 06:17 PM
Is Bob big on backtalk and vulgarity?

If the next manager is destined to be a loudmouth disciplinarian, I'd rather see the Reds bring in Buck Showalter.

Someone should ask Marty for his opinion on that idea during the next Banana Phone segment. :evil:

That'd go over well with Marty and Thom :D

Maybe Girardi learned something from the Marlin's job and would show his boss more respect. As far as in the clubhouse, Joe wouldn't tolerate the crap that we are seeing now...nor would he he care who you are or how much money you make when it comes to doing the things he wants....

This team needs a guy like that....these laid back "baseball guys" have gotten this team nowhere.

GoGoWhiteSox
05-15-2007, 08:54 PM

The last thing the Reds need is Buck Showalter managing them.

Always Red
05-15-2007, 08:56 PM
The last thing the Reds need is Buck Showalter managing them.

Marty Brennaman would resign the day Buck was hired.

MartyFan
05-15-2007, 09:15 PM
Barry Larkin anyone?
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

reds44
05-15-2007, 09:18 PM
Miley and Boone were never won a Manger of the Year award....

I think Girardi IS better than these 3 guys who will never manage in Major League Baseball again.
I think Girardi got more credit then he should for making that team respectable last year.

Alot of it was done on pure talent and GREAT starting pitching.

WMR
05-15-2007, 09:21 PM
Marty Brennaman would resign the day Buck was hired.

In that case: BUCK FOR MANAGER.

Matt700wlw
05-15-2007, 10:25 PM
In that case: BUCK FOR MANAGER.

That'd be an entertaining manager's pregame show...Marty and Bucky

WMR
05-15-2007, 10:26 PM
That'd be an entertaining manager's pregame show...Marty and Bucky

One word: THUNDERDOME!!