PDA

View Full Version : So How Frustrated Are You?

Krusty
05-15-2007, 10:55 AM
How frustrated are you with this team? Let me be the first and say that with this veteran team, they don't practice what they preach......and that is playing the game the right way.

The defense is still horrible and the bullpen is a disaster. Even if Guradado comes back sometime in June, will it be too late? Brook Jacoby or Chris Chambliss? Does it really matter who the hitting coach is with this motley crew? And Krivsky's infactuation of aging relievers like Cormier, Stanton and Weathers.....I just don't understand.

It is easy to point the finger at Narron but he doesn't deserve all the blame. As for an organization from the top down, they all deserve a D.

And I'll go out on a limb and say the Reds really aren't that much better with Krivsky as GM than O'Brien. Maybe O'Brien shouldn't have signed Milton but take away the Arroyo & Phillips trades and you have to wonder about Krivsky's moves. And I'm not sure O'Brien wouldn't have taken the same risk with acquiring Hamilton with the Rule 5 draft. But if you look at the Reds top minor leaguers, Bailey, Bruce, Votto and Cueto are a result with O'Brien as the GM.

So what frustrates you the most?

BRM
05-15-2007, 10:56 AM
I didn't expect much from this team so I have to say I haven't gotten all that frustrated.

RedsManRick
05-15-2007, 11:01 AM
What frustrates me the most is the tinkering. Marathon, not a sprint. One of the most frustrating things about baseball is that you have so much time to think and tweak when you should be letting the law of big numbers take it's course.

The daily lineup changes. The lack of any sort of consistent usage pattern (other than throw Todd Coffey 8 days a week) in the bullpen. I can accept that this is a very mediocre team. However, we don't get an opportunity to really tell because of the amount of overreaction.

Redsland
05-15-2007, 11:15 AM
I'm more frustrated with Narron's empty talk and Krivsky's year of wheel-spinning than anything.

The product on the field isn't much worse than I feared.

(Hey! Moeller/Cormier/Castro/Stanton/Conine apologists! I told you so.)

BRM
05-15-2007, 11:17 AM
I'm more frustrated with Narron's empty talk and Krivsky's year of wheel-spinning than anything.

I guess I'm in that boat. The team itself isn't playing all that much worse than I figured they would. There just isn't alot of talent there. This past offseason was where the real frustration was.

hebroncougar
05-15-2007, 11:20 AM

Amen to that. I'm glad I have EI, so I can watch some good baseball on occasion if I want to. Between this and the "play the game the right way" bullcrap you hear from Narron and the management, but they don't acquire players that can do this.

Sea Ray
05-15-2007, 11:25 AM
And I'll go out on a limb and say the Reds really aren't that much better with Krivsky as GM than O'Brien. Maybe O'Brien shouldn't have signed Milton but take away the Arroyo & Phillips trades and you have to wonder about Krivsky's moves. And I'm not sure O'Brien wouldn't have taken the same risk with acquiring Hamilton with the Rule 5 draft. But if you look at the Reds top minor leaguers, Bailey, Bruce, Votto and Cueto are a result with O'Brien as the GM.

I disagree here. O'Brien was good at stocking the minor league system but he was horrible at being a GM. What Krivsky did with Josh Hamilton was very ingenious and in fact no ther GM approached the Cubs with his offer.

I think Krivsky's greatest failure has been with bringing in all these retread relievers. Last year was a trainwreck of retreads and none of them worked out. I get tired to reading about minor league relievers with ERAs of 2 or lower in AAA or AA and yet I still have to see the likes of Stanton, Saarloos and Coffey blow lead after lead.

Sea Ray
05-15-2007, 11:29 AM

They are a lot worse than I thought. They were just a tad under .500 last year and this year we added Josh Hamilton and we had another year under the belt for Todd Coffey. I like the upgrade of Gonzales over Lopez and I don't miss Austin Kearns. They looked great in March. Who would have thought they'd play at a .385 clip? Who would have thought Coffey would implode to the tune of a 5 ERA?

AdamDunn
05-15-2007, 12:10 PM
not very frustrated. I think we've made great strides with lots of players. Dunn, Phillips, Griffey, Gonzo. Hamilton was a nice pick up. Starting rotation is solid. If we had an average bullpen, we'd be winning this league. But I think we're going to be .500 still when Bray and Majewski get back. Not frustrated at all.

Shaggy Sanchez
05-15-2007, 12:19 PM
What frustrates me is that I picked this team to win 70 games when I really wanted to say 60.

Falls City Beer
05-15-2007, 12:28 PM
What frustrates me is that I picked this team to win 70 games when I really wanted to say 60.

:laugh:

I know. Optimism's for chumps.

redram
05-15-2007, 12:33 PM
Very Frustrated, to the point I expect them to lose every time they step on the field, and not just lose, but lose in a way no other team in baseball seems to do. Blown leads, D beyond horrible. I do not even feel safe when we are up 5 or 6 runs. I expected this team to improve over last year and was very excited coming into the year. It has gotten near funny watching all the different ways we blow games night after night. A major change will have to take place before it gets better. I don't blame Narron, in fact I feel for him. he has no one else to go to in the pen except for these clowns that were thrown at him so what can he do. I do however blame him for the uneal lineups and batting orders he throws out night after night. Players will lose confidence in a manager than cannot even set a proper batting order. Maybe that is what is going on, I don't know, all I know is it is very hard to watch this night after night. Being a fan since 1970 I have seen great teams and Bad teams, but to me, this in one of our all time lows and there is no relief in sight. Which makes it even harder to take.

redsupport
05-15-2007, 12:47 PM
worse than the royals and pirates who dont waste time with stanton, saarloss,moeller, etc

Spring~Fields
05-15-2007, 01:45 PM
How frustrated are you with this team? Let me be the first and say that with this veteran team, they don't practice what they preach......So what frustrates you the most?

What frustrates me the most is that this team is bad like the teams of the past six years, and we all know what this year looks and feels like as a fan.

I am even more frustrated to think that six years have past to achieve what is now the Reds, and I am not looking forward to seeing and feeling what I am in 07 again for maybe another three years yet to come.

Castellini and Krivsky need to be working on making 2008 a decent team and year for the Reds now. If what they have done so far are indicators of what they will be doing for 2008 and 2009 then it goes beyond frustration. Words won't improve next season or the year after, I don't think we should have to relive 2001-2007 again.

TheWalls
05-15-2007, 02:01 PM
Livid.

Where to start:

1) No sense of urgency or give a d@mn after loss(es),
2) blantant disrespect for fundamentals of fielding and situational hitting,
3) mismanagement of in-game situations by the manager,
4) inconsistent lineups causing young hitters to guess at their roles
5) overreliance on wiley veteran relievers,
6) no established bullpen roles,
7) overuse of bullpen resulting in worsening performances

Other than that, it's all good. The manager must go and the players that don't give a rats xxx whether the team wins or not can join him.

Redsland
05-15-2007, 02:06 PM
Let me ask the assembled masses this question:

During the first inning of last night's game, how many outs were there when you realized the next three hours would be a waste of your time?

TheWalls
05-15-2007, 02:10 PM

jojo
05-15-2007, 02:17 PM
Livid.

Where to start:

Other than that, it's all good. The manager must go and the players that don't give a rats xxx whether the team wins or not can join him.

roles are really overrated unless they are my wife's home-baked T-day rolls which can't really be bragged about enough....

IowaRed
05-15-2007, 03:36 PM
not very, I was expecting a poor baseball team and if they improve some they will be right there

durl
05-15-2007, 03:43 PM
I'm frustrated because this team won 5 of their first 6 series of the season. The bullpen was among the best (if not THE best) during that time.

This team IS capable of winning. I'm just ready for them to start doing it again. They just need something to spark them and I don't know what it is. Clearly the players aren't blaming the manager so I don't think we should either.

Falls City Beer
05-15-2007, 06:12 PM
Let me ask the assembled masses this question:

During the first inning of last night's game, how many outs were there when you realized the next three hours would be a waste of your time?

This is an excellent object lesson.

It clearly illustrates the total lack of faith that fans have in this team--pretty much everyone on this board would say that the game was over after the Pads had scored the three runs.

Ltlabner
05-15-2007, 06:21 PM
Livid.

Where to start:

And, of course, worst of all....too.much.smiling.

noskill27
05-15-2007, 06:51 PM
I look at the team on paper and I see a potential 90+ win team. I then notice Jerry Narron is still manager and I see a 75-80 win team. So since the Reds are on pace for only 62-63 wins, I start to get upset.

We have offense. We have starting pitching. We have defense. There are two major problems on this team - the bullpen and the attitude. We could overcome the bullpen if the team was so "Blah" about everything. That attitude is killing us and it comes straight from the manager. I'm not saying we need a Yell-at-the-Players manager. We just need a manager who can motivate these players instead of a manager who talks all day about what needs to be done instead of doing it...

Oh, and it wouldn't hurt to have a manager who doesn't do stupid things like have a player try to bunt the runners on first and second over when Adam Dunn is on deck followed by Castro...

WMR
05-15-2007, 07:32 PM
I'm more frustrated with Narron for his dumb quotes and stupid roster/line-up decisions and with Krivsky for orchestrating this mess than I am with the players or the losing.

Ron Madden
05-15-2007, 07:35 PM
I'm more frustrated with Narron for his dumb quotes and stupid roster/line-up decisions and with Krivsky for orchestrating this mess than I am with the players or the losing.

Me too! :(

:( :angry: :thumbdown

Highlifeman21
05-15-2007, 08:06 PM
I didn't expect much from this team so I have to say I haven't gotten all that frustrated.

I completely agree.

In my eye, this team is almost overachieving my expectations.

cincrazy
05-15-2007, 08:17 PM
I'm frustrated that this franchise is a pathetic shell of its formel self.

I'm frustrated that the city of Milwaukee is experiencing a baseball renaissance, and we're seeing this trash.

I'm frustrated that this team doesn't show more fire and emotion. Throw a chair, break a bat, ANYTHING to show me that you care. Hell, punch a wall for crying out loud (especially if you're a member of the bullpen, please head to the DL).

I'm frustrated that I no longer get a sick feeling to my stomach over long losing streaks. I've become accustomed to losing, numb to it. I feel now like I felt in the 90's as a Bengals fan.

I feel frustrated that one of the top fan bases in the country has been rendered moot. Cincinnati isn't a baseball city currently. Deep down inside, in the depths of its soul, it will always be. But until this franchise turns it around and wins consistently, the sad state of Cincinnati baseball will continue, with 15,000 fans showing up for beautiful week day night games.

And I'm frustrated that this team doesn't have a savior. Nobody is riding in on a white horse to save this team. Maybe if it was 10 years ago (Griffey Jr.) or five years from now (Bailey, Bruce, Hamilton, etc. etc. etc. ) things would be different. But we can't go back, and we can't fast forward. We're stuck in the present, and presently, this team is devoid of its knight in shining armor coming to save the day.

Somebody SAVE this team, SAVE this city's baseball reputation, and SAVE my distraught frame of mind (maybe I still do get a little sick to my stomach after all).

jojo
05-15-2007, 08:47 PM
I look at the team on paper and I see a potential 90+ win team. I then notice Jerry Narron is still manager and I see a 75-80 win team. So since the Reds are on pace for only 62-63 wins, I start to get upset.

We have offense. We have starting pitching. We have defense. There are two major problems on this team - the bullpen and the attitude. We could overcome the bullpen if the team was so "Blah" about everything. That attitude is killing us and it comes straight from the manager. I'm not saying we need a Yell-at-the-Players manager. We just need a manager who can motivate these players instead of a manager who talks all day about what needs to be done instead of doing it...

Oh, and it wouldn't hurt to have a manager who doesn't do stupid things like have a player try to bunt the runners on first and second over when Adam Dunn is on deck followed by Castro...

There is no way that Narron is the difference between 90+ and 75 wins....

I agree though that this teams has offense, defense and starting pitching. It just doesn't have enough of each. Also, the source of each largely comes with an asterisk. Alot of their offense can't play defense and vice versa. It's yet another poorly constructed Reds roster, it's just that this years version is giving so far what last year's version should've given us.

I'll be surprised if this is a 90+ loss team- I thought, they'd be somewhere roughly around a .500 team. That said, it's tough to see them playing ten over the rest of the season though.....

SandyD
05-15-2007, 09:13 PM
This is an excellent object lesson.

It clearly illustrates the total lack of faith that fans have in this team--pretty much everyone on this board would say that the game was over after the Pads had scored the three runs.

Of course, they were facing Maddux. When the Reds went so easily in the top half of the first, we should have known our guys were in trouble.

The runs in the bottom half just sealed the deal.

I enjoy watching Maddux.

CWRed
05-15-2007, 09:45 PM
I'm as frustrated as a turnip on rye bread without a pickle.

smith288
05-16-2007, 12:51 AM
No. I expected suckitude. I got it.

I did expect a tad bit more than what I have seen thus far, though.