PDA

View Full Version : You Might Be an Old Reds Fan.........

Will
05-15-2007, 08:46 PM
Here are a few things that fall under " If you ________________, "You Might Be an Old Reds Fan"

1. You know Johnny Bench's favorite Christmas song used to be "Snoopy and the Red Baron".
2. You know Dave Concepcion took a ride in a cloths dryer.
3. You used to flap your elbow like Joe Morgan when you played Little League or Knothole Baseball.
4. You know who the "Chief" is.
5. You remember the white shorts the Reds used to wear under those sheer 70s uniforms.
6. You know how many baseballs Johnny Bench can hold in one hand.
7. You remember who sucker punched Eric Davis on 3rd base one night.
8. You know the name of the Lady who used to sing our National Anthem at Reds games (she was the very best ever in my opinion). (hint) Initials MS
9. You remember attending games at Crosley Field.
10. You remember when even Mr. Red wasn't allowed to have a Moustache.

Degenerate39
05-15-2007, 08:50 PM
I knew Davey took a ride in a cloths dryer and I think Bench can hold 5 baseballs in his hand. These were way way way before my time. I tried to fit 5 baseballs in my hand at the same time and it didn't work out too well.

Ron Madden
05-15-2007, 08:52 PM
Bench could hold seven baseballs in one hand.

Degenerate39
05-15-2007, 08:53 PM
Seven baseballs

Damnit that was my second guess.

DannyB
05-15-2007, 09:01 PM
I remember my Dad saying "Theres that Rose kid"

Matt700wlw
05-15-2007, 09:06 PM
Ray Knight sucker punched Eric Davis at third base. I remember watching that brawl on TV when I was little.

(I believe Davis was playing 3rd base)

noskill27
05-15-2007, 09:06 PM
You like the over-achievers who make the most of their limited talent because they play hard and the right way instead of spoiled brats with all the talent in the world who have been handed everything on a silver platter (and still manage to screw it up)

Will
05-15-2007, 09:09 PM
Ray Knight sucker punched Eric Davis at third base. I remember watching that brawl on TV when I was little.

Knight was at 3rd, Davis slid in.

Matt700wlw
05-15-2007, 09:09 PM
Knight was at 3rd, Davis slid in.

Well, I was close :)

Ron Madden
05-15-2007, 09:10 PM

No Ray Knight was playing 3B.

RFS62
05-15-2007, 09:13 PM

Will
05-15-2007, 09:21 PM

JB also made the cover of SI as the first $100,000.00 catcher.

redsupport
05-15-2007, 09:25 PM
you remember ted wills

George Anderson
05-15-2007, 10:39 PM
If you brought a black bat to Little League and everyone called you George Foster.

Redlegs
05-15-2007, 10:43 PM
If you brought a black bat to Little League and everyone called you George Foster.
I remember getting a replica of Foster's "black beauty" bat at the Reds game in '77 or '78. Still have it, unused, along with Dave Concepcion, Joe Morgan, and Paul Householder. Always seem to go to bat day.

Redlegs
05-15-2007, 10:54 PM
You're an old Reds fan if you remember.....

Low cut red stirrups.
Solid black shoes.
Oversized lettering on the back of the jersey.
The vendor yelling...."Ice cold Hudepohl Gold!"
Who Bill Brown, Ken Coleman, & Ray Lane are.
Joe Nuxhall saying, "We're back in the dugout" at the beginning of the Star of the Game.
Zamboni machines at Riverfront.
Pete's love for Rolls Royce cars.
Watching Johnny Bench sing on Hee Haw.
When the Reds were the only home team to play on Opening Day.
Bump Wills knocking the 2nd pitch of the '82 season out off the park of Soto.
Tom Seaver's no-no against the Cardinals.
Mario Soto vs. Claudell Washington.
Having a copy of "Catch Ya Later" and "The Main Spark" on your book shelf.
The commercial "Baseball, hotdogs, apple pie, & Chevrolet."
Knowing the words to the jingle:
"Marty & Joe on Reds Radio
So nice to see you
Come on back
We'll have a good time"

George Anderson
05-15-2007, 11:04 PM
How bout if you can remember Dick Carlson, the infamous third man in the Reds booth in the early 80's.

Redlegs
05-15-2007, 11:28 PM
Here are a few things that fall under " If you ________________, "You Might Be an Old Reds Fan"

4. You know who the "Chief" is.

For those of you who don't, look to the left of this text.

redsmetz
05-15-2007, 11:42 PM
Well I must be ancient because most of these were from when I was in my late teens and early 20's!

texasdave
05-16-2007, 12:15 AM
if you know that there was no warning track at Crosley Field.

remdog
05-16-2007, 12:50 AM
You might be an old Reds fan if you remember:
Geoge Crowe and what position did he play?
What reporter did Johnny Temple (who?) punch?
When the Reds AAA farm teams were in places like San Diego and Denver.
When the Reds trained in Havana, Cuba.
When the owner of the team also was a car manufacturer.
When the populace of Cincinnati stuffed the ballot box for the All-Star game.
Curt Flood played OF for the Reds.
Smokey Burgess was the best pinch-hitter in baseball. (And, BTW, I don't recall the Reds carrying a 3rd catcher at that time.I'm guessing they did but my memorie is getting foggy. Can someone help me out here? And, if they only carried two catchers, send Moeller back to L'ville. :laugh: )
Don Pavlich was the next HOF catcher.

Rem

RANDY IN INDY
05-16-2007, 07:58 AM
8. You know the name of the Lady who used to sing our National Anthem at Reds games (she was the very best ever in my opinion). (hint) Initials MS

Marian Spelman.

creek14
05-16-2007, 08:11 AM
Dang rem, I'm old. Thanks for reminding me. :mooner: ;)

Will
05-16-2007, 09:08 AM
if you know that there was no warning track at Crosley Field.

Must have been fun for outfielders to run up a little hill to get to the wall.:)

hebroncougar
05-16-2007, 09:37 AM
Not too old school...........but

When Paul Householder was going to be the next great outfielder, right after Eddie Milner.

minus5
05-16-2007, 10:08 AM
Marian Spelman.

She just passed away in January, by the way.

westofyou
05-16-2007, 10:49 AM
1. You know Johnny Bench's favorite Christmas song used to be "Snoopy and the Red Baron".

Or if you know the lyrics to that stupid song (which despite years of trying to forget them I still do.)

or you might be an old Reds fan if you remeber phenom Jeff Jones.

remdog
05-16-2007, 11:15 AM
Dang rem, I'm old. Thanks for reminding me. :mooner: ;)

Sorry. If it makes you feel any better, I reminded myself that I'm old, real old. :laugh:

Rem

cumberlandreds
05-16-2007, 11:22 AM
I remember two through six and number 10. The Chief was Cesar Geronimo. Still the best defensive OF I have seen with the Reds. Yes I am old. I can actually remember when the Reds were considered one of the best orginizations in MLB.

George Anderson
05-16-2007, 11:24 AM
1) If you remember Reds players milking cows on the field on "Farm Day"
2) If you remember Dave Concepcion wearing white shoes in the 81' All Star game.
3) If you remember Junior Kennedy beating out Ron Oester for the second base job in ST 1979.
4) If you remember Jim Kern defying Reds management and growing a beard in 1982.
5) If you remember the Reds off season radio program was called "Reds Line" and a different player was on every week.
6) If you remember the outfield fences at Riverfront being 10' high.

IowaRed
05-16-2007, 11:38 AM
....if you owned a "Foster Crunch" t-shirt

RANDY IN INDY
05-16-2007, 11:42 AM
1) If you remember Reds players milking cows on the field on "Farm Day"
2) If you remember Dave Concepcion wearing white shoes in the 81' All Star game.
3) If you remember Junior Kennedy beating out Ron Oester for the second base job in ST 1979.
4) If you remember Jim Kern defying Reds management and growing a beard in 1982.
5) If you remember the Reds off season radio program was called "Reds Line" and a different player was on every week.
6)
If you remember the outfield fences at Riverfront being 10' high.

Cost Johnny Bench a great number of homeruns.

BuckeyeRedleg
05-16-2007, 12:04 PM
Great thread. I'm totally enjoying reading it and it's good therapy during a miserable season so far. Reading some of these posts got me thinking about my own personal memories of what makes this team special to me. It was because of what I describe below that I'll never be able to give up this team. Honestly, it would be like turning my back on years of beautiful memories.

I was 7-years old in 1978, when I was first hit by the bug that is the Reds. For years my Grandparents made the trek down I-71 from Westerville, Ohio (outside Columbus) to my field of dreams. Hundreds of trips later, I make the same trips with my 6-year old. Below is a description as best as I can remember of the magic that was the Reds from the eyes of a 7-year old boy in 1978.

1. The anticipation heading down I-71 was beyond anything I can describe. It was like each mile-marker was placed there to remind travelers (at least me) how many miles to the stadium. 84, 83, 82, 81.....I would be so excited and impatient, that as a kid I did all I could do was count down the 26 markers between each mile. 80, 79, 78, 77.....one step closer.

2. Seeing the big tower on the horizon, meant we were not only getting closer to Kings Island, but also getting closer to the city. It was like a giant lighthouse leading the way. You could see the tower from miles away, it would disappear behind some hills and then reappear again, getting larger and larger. Finally as we pass it I have no desire, as most kids would, to ride any of the roller coasters. My amusement park is still 20 some miles away.

3. Coming around the bend, a mile from the destination, it seems like something from the Jetsons. Freeways going in every direction. As a kid from Columbus in 1978, we have nothing like this city. It's overwhelming to see cars going in every directions. Exits everywhere. Our far left lane, however, was put there for one reason and one reason alone. Before we enter the magical tunnel that would expose my dream come true, I would look at the city to the right and try to take it all in. A big Pepsi advertisement painted on a building. Planes pulling banners up in the distance circling my field of dreams that I cannot yet see. Skyscrapers sitting on top of the tunnel we are heading for.

4. The tunnel. The anticipation is killing me as we roll down the windows and listen to the roar of our car traveling through the tunnel. I can smell the stadium form here or at least I think I can. As the tunnel turns to the right and opens up the first thing I see is the most beautiful things these eyes could see. Yes, it's a cookie-cutter much like many other stadiums at the time. Yes, it's symmetrical and sterile. I, however, am a 7 year-old boy and it's the 1st wonder of the world to me.

5. We would always park in the garage in the stadium. As a kid, it puzzled me. Are we under home plate? Is our car sitting directly below the field somewhere? How cool. I could not wait to get up the escalators leading out of the garage. Once to the top of the main concourse, I was there. It was awesome. People everywhere. Souvenir stands. I have to remember to remind my Grandpa to get a helmet before we leave. Not before, because I'm already wearing my Reds helmet and I always got a different team's helmet each time. The planes buzz around the stadium. People walk in all directions. A big giant Reds helmet with people inside. As I walk, holding my Grandpa's hand to insure I don't get lost in the mass of humanity, I can catch glimpses inside. I see beautiful green seats. I can't wait to get in here.

6. We walk in and go straight until we hit the back of the top row of green seats. There is Dan Driessen taking infield as the Rocky anthem blares over the PA system. Griffey and Rose toss in front of dugout. Foster and Concepcion stretch and jog in the outfield. Their uniforms are so clean. So white and they jump out at you off the background of the faded green artificial turf. Oh and how cool is it that they play on carpet. I wonder what's it like to walk down there. If I could only be so lucky to get on the field. Someday. Wow, this is the place that I "hear" about nightly, as Marty and Joe describe the events as I lay in my bed. It's a surreal experience for this 7-year old. It's time to get to our seats.

7. This is a good team. Everyone loves them and seats are not as easy to come by. We must go up the ramps leading to the top. The RED SEATS! I wouldn't want it any other way. The journey up the ramps is long and arduous but I know it will be worth it. Our seats are way up. I'm a little tentative walking up the stairs to our seats. They are so steep. I just keep looking ahead as my Grandpa stays behind me and reminds me to hold onto the rail.

8. We are there. I can finally turn around and see it. Enjoy it. No more moving. I have 2-3 hours to take it in. Oh my gosh, look how high we are. It's like I'm looking straight down at the field. We are just inside the leftfield foul pole (net) half-way up in the red seats. What a sight! I cannot believe how vast this stadium is. How did they build it? How did they get those lights up there? Has anyone ever fallen from the top? I hope not. Has anyone ever hit a ball out of the stadium? I bet Johnny Bench could. I remember hearing a story that Joe Morgan once did it and the ball rolled all the way down the road outside the stadium. My Grandpa insures me that nobody has ever hit one out of the stadium, but if I was lucky I could maybe see one hit into the red seats.

9. The game moves on. The PA announcer reads off the lineups. I love his voice. It is so cool. "Joe Morgan"...........Morgan." "Pete Rose..........Rose." "George Foster.......Foster" My favorite because I loved the sound of it - Ken Griffey...........Griffey" It was like he paused a perfect a three seconds between the first time he said the last name and the second. How awesome that sounded. I would for years replay this ritual all the way to the national anthem in my front yard. Many of the neighbors remind me to this day how hilarious they thought it was.

10. During the game, someone gets a "stolen base" . I don't understand. Why was it stolen? Are they bad? My Grandpa explains that a stolen base is good. Ok.

11. One by one, my hero's step up the plate and even though they seem a mile away, I can tell by their stances that, yes, that is Joe Morgan. Look at the arm flap. Yes, that is Johnny Bench as he pauses in between his rhythm at the plate to kind of bend backwards to stretch his back. Yes, that's Pete Rose as he crouches down in his stance. Yes, that's Danny Driessen as he mimics Bench with his back stretch thingy but has a little wider stance and from he left side. Yes, that's Griffey as he takes his practice swings at the plate one....two....three, each time his weight shifting like a little dance from left foot to right foot, his head following the end of the bat as it hits it's point.

12. As the game goes, I'm glued to my seat. I don't fully understand the situations. I don't care about the errors or strike outs. Everything is perfect. The planes are buzzing overhead. The stadium is packed and there is a constant buzz in the crowd as well. All of a sudden something special happens. George Foster is a mile away but there is a special sound coming off his bat and the ball seems to be coming straight at us. As it is about to land in the very red seats we are sitting in, it seems to hook a bit and land in our very row, 10 or so seats away. Wow. He's a mile away, but from a little boy's perspective I still don't fully realize what he has accomplished. He had pulled it right down the line inside the foul pole for a home run! To me, it look like a pop-up that curled a bit. No, this was no pop-up. The place goes crazy.

13. Later, another ball hit right down the line, but way below us for another home run. This one is special too because a pitcher hit it. I don't understand why this is a big deal until my Grandpa explains that pitchers don't usually hit home runs. Well, for Paul Moskau, his special day was mine as well. He got the win on a glorious summer sunday and hit a home run to boot.

14. It's time to go. But before we leave my Grandpa lets me pick out a helmet from the souvenir stand. I pick the Phillies. Little do I know that these Phillies would steal one of my favorite players away next year. In this case, a steal is not a good thing.

15. As we head back up I-71, I put my head down in the back seat and shut my eyes and try to picture Foster's home run again. I see it. Almost as if it is permanently etched into my memory. Like a negative from a picture. I can see it perfectly. And I fall asleep dreaming about it.

Is this heaven?

No, it's Cincinnati in the late 70's.

remdog
05-16-2007, 12:29 PM
Great post BuckeyeRedleg! :clap: :thumbup:

Rem

dabvu2498
05-16-2007, 12:34 PM
If Gordy Coleman spoke at your elementary school.

WVJulz
05-16-2007, 12:52 PM
Is this heaven?

No, it's Cincinnati in the late 70's.[/QUOTE]

:cry: :cry: :cry: This one made me cry...the absolute joy of your first Reds game. Most girls don't like baseball, but I grew up in a family of boys. I am the only girl and the baby of six kids so I sort of cut my teeth on baseball. I even asked for the satin Cincinnati Reds jacket for my 16th birthday. My Mom was not pleased and begged me to choose something more feminine for a gift, but I would not relent and I ended up getting it! I included a picture of me on my 16th birthday with the jacket on. May 9, 1982!!

I didn't attend my first game until May 15, 1981 at Three Rivers Stadium. The Reds and Pirates. My parents took me for my 15th birthday! I remember seeing Davey Concepcion in the flesh for the first time and I thought I had died and gone to Heaven. Lord I loved that man! :D But, that was only the first of several games I have attended in my life.

I loved the part about seeing Riverfront on the way in. That was so exciting. I got goosebumps every time. No matter how old I was. And while I have only attended one game at GABP, I will always, ALWAYS love Riverfront. I never attended at game at Cinergy Field and I hated that they changed the name from Riverfront. For those of us from my generation, it WAS Riverfront.

A year after I graduated from high school, my best friend and I decided we were going to go to Pittsburgh and watch the Reds and Pirates again. We had a blast!!! We ended up becoming friends with Dave Van Gorder and every time we would go to Riverfront after that, he would leave us tickets and they were sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet seats. In the player's section behind home plate! It was funny because you could see the wives trying to figure out whose seats we were sitting in!! It was great! Those were the best seats and we even managed to watch some of the games when we were there. When we weren't flirting with the Reds in the dugout, that is. :luvu:

I have been to Dodger Stadium and Jacobs Field - both beautiful ball parks, but no stadium will ever mean to me what Riverfront does.

Thanks BuckeyeRedLeg...you brought back a lot of fond memories for me!
Julz

BuckWoody
05-16-2007, 01:15 PM
If you remember the Dixieland band that used to play on the green level before the games at Riverfront.
If you can remember driving past the sad remains of old Crosley on your way to the shiny new ballpark.
If you can remember Al Michaels calling Reds games.
If you absolutely refuse to ever refer to Riverfront Stadium as Cynergy Field.
If you remember the home-and-home Kid Glove games every year with the Tigers.
If you remember when the Reds' farm system was the envy of baseball.
If the name Gene Tenace sets your blood to boiling.
If you remember the "Main Spark" radio show before the games.

Heath
05-16-2007, 01:17 PM
No one said night games that started at 8:05pm.

Also real doubleheaders.

BuckWoody
05-16-2007, 01:22 PM
Also real doubleheaders.
I can remember my Dad getting us tickets to a Saturday Braves-Reds game probably in about '72 or '73. I had no idea it was a double-header until we got out of the car and were headed toward the stadium. You mean we get to see TWO GAMES?!?! My head nearly exploded I was so excited. :D

remdog
05-16-2007, 01:27 PM
"If you remember the home-and-home Kid Glove games every year with the Tigers."

Before that it was the Indians.

"If you can remember Al Michaels calling Reds games."

Ohhh, I couldn't I have forgotten that! The guy was better than Brennaman at his best.

Rem

BuckWoody
05-16-2007, 01:31 PM

Rem
I did not know that. [/JohnnyCarson]

remdog
Here's one that not too many people have on their dance card.

You might be an old Reds fan if----

You missed your honeymoon cruise because you had to watch the last game of the '72 World Series. (Yeah. The marraige didn't turn out any better than the game did. :eek: ) :laugh:

Rem

pedro

"If you can remember Al Michaels calling Reds games."

Ohhh, I could I have forgotten that! The guy was better than Brennaman at his best.

Rem

Or if you sold tickets door to door for those games.

redsupport
05-16-2007, 01:45 PM
Jim McIntyre and Claude Sullivan

Driver62
05-16-2007, 01:49 PM
You may be a really old Reds fan if you remember:

Going to a game at Crosley and paying some kids a few bucks to watch your car so you wouldn't come back to 4 flat tires or worse.

Players such as Wally Post, Roy McMillan, Grady Hatton, Johnny Wyrostek, Johnny Temple and Big Klu.

Managers Birdie Tebbets and Fred Hutchinson.

Actually seeing a game at Crosley. I saw three.

Riding a train from out of town to the game and riding the train back home after the game.

Watching the players walk through the stands to get to the field. There was no access from the dugout.

The laundry behind the left field fence.

No Interstate 75.

remdog
05-16-2007, 02:01 PM
OK! Another guy that seems to qualify as older than me or 62! (Whew! What a relief! :laugh: )

Looks like it might be between Stingray and Driver for that title! :p:

Rem

redsupport
05-16-2007, 02:03 PM
pete whisenant says hello

Frankrules
05-16-2007, 02:12 PM
....if you remember:

Phil Gagliano and Andy Kosco

Doug Capilla and Manny Sarmiento

Harry Spilman and Arturo Defreitas

redsupport
05-16-2007, 02:16 PM
Gagliano a tremendous pinch hitter purloined from the coffers of St. Louis, just like Kelly paris and Ed Crosby
Andy Kosko great slugger in the Al Ferrera mode played in the 1973 championship series against mets
Doug Capilla stylish lefty like the vernerable Guy Hoffman
Sarmiento ezxcellent drug dealer
Spillman another georgian great like Kalvoski
DeFrietas, what can be said about the great Defrietas, he made me forget the great jay Ward

Johnny Footstool
05-16-2007, 02:25 PM
You know Johnny Bench's favorite Christmas song used to be "Snoopy and the Red Baron".

That was a Christmas song??? "80 men died trying to end that spree/of the bloody Red Baron of Germany"???

----
Back to the topic at hand...

...if you treasured your 1981 Topps Paul Householder/Bruce Berenyi/Geoff Combe "Reds Future Stars" Rookie Card.

...if you thought Kal Daniels, Eric Davis, and Tracy Jones made up the best outfield in history.

...if you cried when you caught a glimpse of a Royals game on TV in 1982 and saw their shortstop's name and number (Concepcion, #13) because you thought the Reds had traded Davey.

RANDY IN INDY
05-16-2007, 02:26 PM
Businessman's specials.

BuckeyeRedleg
05-16-2007, 02:28 PM
Is this heaven?

No, it's Cincinnati in the late 70's.

Happy Birthday (yesterday), WVJulz.

Thank you for the kind words and thanks for sharing your story.

pedro
05-16-2007, 02:47 PM
If you were once upset that the Reds weren't giving Ed Armbrister a chance.

RANDY IN INDY
05-16-2007, 02:49 PM
Bill Cooper as the Reds trainer in his white pants and white shirt, running out of the Reds dugout to put some "cold-spray" on the hand or arm of a hit batsman. Team Physician Dr. George Ballou.

Ronnie Dale at the organ.

Jimmy Bragan as the first base coach, Vern Benson as the third base coach and Harvey Haddix as the pitching coach.

Pete Rose's crew cut.

Writers Si Burick, Ritter Collett, Bob Hertzel, and Earl Lawson.

Twi-night doubleheaders.

Riddell baseball shoes, circa 1970, made with red molded cleat bottoms for that new sensation called "Astro-turf."

$3.50 Box Seats that raised to $4.00 at Riverfront.
$2.50 Reserved Seats that raised to $3.00 at Riverfront.
$1.50 General Admission that raised to $2.00 at Riverfront.

The 580 gift shop.

Teen night, College night and Farmer's night at the big oval on the river.

If the following cities mean anything to you: Indianapolis, Three Rivers, Sioux Falls, Tampa, Geneva, Macon, Cedar Rapids,

Al Lopez Field.

A beer commercial on Reds televised games that ended with the phrase, "Vas you evah in Zinzinnati?"

redsupport
05-16-2007, 03:01 PM
the incline and pinson making the plays

Will
05-16-2007, 03:05 PM
Wow my thread is taking me back to when I was a kid in Bond Hill before we moved to the country "Amelia" in 68. You guys are adding stuff that I had long forgotten. How about this tune from a commercial during the games " Burger Beer is brewed with Artesian water, Artesian waaaaater, You never had it so good ".

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b56/WilsonKevin/FBIRBurgerFBIRfirstpage.jpg

RANDY IN INDY
05-16-2007, 03:09 PM
Nancy Wilson singing the Stroh's commercial on Reds radio in the '70's.

You can't top a good thing when it's made the right way,

That's why smooth and mellow Stroh's is still fire brewed today.

From one beer lover to another Stroh's beer.

From one beer lover to another Stroh's.

redsupport
05-16-2007, 03:14 PM
hudepohl and the royals

RANDY IN INDY
05-16-2007, 03:15 PM
Remember the song on the radio before the games started in the 80's when Pete came back, "The Cincinnati Reds, gettin' back to fun again."

It's just a game, everybody says it's just a game.

No matter we play it hard, we play to win,

we're making baseball fun again......................The Cincinnati Reds.........

redsupport
05-16-2007, 03:36 PM
the eighthies were very glorious with the advent of Duane Walker Mike Vail and Larry Biitner

Red in Atl
05-16-2007, 03:42 PM
I remember going to every "bat", "poster", "wristband", "batting glove" day they had in the 70's.

I remember sitting in the first row of the "yellow" seats with padding at Riverfront, that made me believe my grandparents had millionaire "friends".

I remember thinking Crosley Field must have been the most uncomfortable place ever to watch a game, because my grandparents bought a set of four seats and sat them in their back yard. (horrible seats, and I still look at them everyday because they are now in my garage, thanks to my Dad driving them 500 miles to deliver them to me in my "first" house.)

I remember undoing my popcorn box so I could hold it like a megaphone and scream "CHARGE" at the top of my little lungs.

I remember watching the crowd erupt around us and then jumping out of my skin when Eric The Red hit that screamer off Dave Stewart in Game 1 of the '90 series. Six rows from the top of left center field made it a little difficult to see it go over the wall.

And I remember going to dinner at Johnny Bench's Home Plate restaurant after the game and ordering King Crab Legs. I was about 8, but man those things were good.

I miss those days...

George Anderson
05-16-2007, 03:46 PM
I remember watching the crowd erupt around us and then jumping out of my skin when Eric The Red hit that screamer off Dave Stewart in Game 1 of the '90 series. Six rows from the top of left center field made it a little difficult to see it go over the wall.

I actually jumped up and dumped half my beer on a guy and his girlfriend sitting in front of me. Kinda put a damper on the homer!!! :rolleyes:

Seems like yesterday!!!!

vic715
05-16-2007, 03:54 PM
you remember ted wills

Yes I do unfortunitly. A lefty reliever back in the early 60s. A teamate of Dave Sisler,Bill Henry and Jim Bronson.

Johnny Footstool
05-16-2007, 03:58 PM
I actually jumped up and dumped half my beer on a guy and his girlfriend sitting in front of me. Kinda put a damper on the homer!!!

Losing half a beer will put a damper on anything.

Frankrules
05-16-2007, 03:58 PM
Redsupport, from the dark days of the early '80s, don't forget Alan Knicely, Jeff Jones, and German Barranca. Or Ben Hayes, for that matter.

BuckeyeRedleg
05-16-2007, 04:05 PM
Nancy Wilson singing the Stroh's commercial on Reds radio in the '70's.

You can't top a good thing when it's made the right way,

That's why smooth and mellow Stroh's is still fire brewed today.

From one beer lover to another Stroh's beer.

From one beer lover to another Stroh's.

Wow! Even though I was a kid I do remember that one.

Didn't it also go something like:

"Stroh's for a real beer lover, Stroh's tastes like no other.

Stroh's for a real beer lover.

From one beer lover to another.

Stoh's..."

And so on.

BuckeyeRedleg
05-16-2007, 04:08 PM

I must have been close to you that night because I was pretty high up there in dead center as well. Even though you couldn't see it go over the wall, you knew it was way out. An absolute rocket.

remdog
05-16-2007, 04:12 PM
Earl Lawson.

You win the Johnny Temple trivia contest!

The 580 gift shop.

You mean it's not there anymore!

Rem

RANDY IN INDY
05-16-2007, 04:25 PM
Earl was good friends with Vada Pinson, too.;)

Will
05-16-2007, 04:32 PM
This bring back any memories ?

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b56/WilsonKevin/amachine_400x519.jpg

redsupport
05-16-2007, 05:09 PM
`Jeff Gray and Steve Foster both thought Milt Hill should not be traded

remdog
05-16-2007, 05:32 PM
And I totally concure with that. After all, how often do you get a right-handed relief pitcher that's blind in his left eye and throws pick-offs when he can see the guy on first in his right eye? :thumbup:

Rem

shredda2000
05-16-2007, 05:33 PM
If you thought Champ Summers was cool because of his name...

and who could forget Bob Bailey?

redsupport
05-16-2007, 05:37 PM
Mike Lum and Terry Crowley would never forget Bob Bailey but Clay Kirby might

klw
05-16-2007, 05:51 PM
if you remember being happy when Gus Schmelz replaced OP Caylor as manager

if you remember being upset when the Reds traded Rule 5 pickup Christy Mathewson for Amos Rusie.

westofyou
05-16-2007, 06:15 PM
if you remember being happy when Gus Schmelz replaced OP Caylor as manager

OP was the editor of the Enquirer (or Commercial Gazette) a tiny man, Gus OTOH was the only manager in history to wear a beard and manage in two different leagues in one season.

Redlegs
05-16-2007, 07:39 PM
Thanks for the memories everyone. Great they are.

Redlegs
05-16-2007, 07:41 PM
..the absolute joy of your first Reds game. Most girls don't like baseball, but I grew up in a family of boys. I am the only girl and the baby of six kids so I sort of cut my teeth on baseball. I even asked for the satin Cincinnati Reds jacket for my 16th birthday. My Mom was not pleased and begged me to choose something more feminine for a gift, but I would not relent and I ended up getting it! I included a picture of me on my 16th birthday with the jacket on. May 9, 1982!!
Nice jacket. By the way, Happy Belated Birthday!

Redlegs
05-16-2007, 07:44 PM
How about the recording you heard when you came from the parking garage up the ramps and escalators...........

Welcome to Riverfront Stadium.....
Please keep moving once you step off the escalator.....
No cans, bottles, or alcoholic beverages are permitted inside the stadium.

Please keep moving once you step off the escalator.....
No cans, bottles, or alcoholic beverages are permitted inside the stadium.

HUHUH
05-16-2007, 09:13 PM

That's right. Eric Davis played lots of 3rd base in his day.

And it wasn't seven balls Johnny Bench could hold in one hand, it was sevenTEEN.

And of course, the CHIEF was that big Indian guy in "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest"

HUHUH
05-16-2007, 09:15 PM
I must have been close to you that night because I was pretty high up there in dead center as well. Even though you couldn't see it go over the wall, you knew it was way out. An absolute rocket.

You were high that night?

Matt700wlw
05-16-2007, 09:18 PM
"Good Afternoon everyone, and welcome to Al Michaels field..."

Blimpie
05-16-2007, 09:38 PM
...If you thought "Jimmy's Stadium Club" was an oasis and had the coldest pre-game cans of beer in the tri-state area.

vaticanplum
05-16-2007, 11:11 PM
:)

BuckeyeRedleg
05-17-2007, 12:42 AM
You were high that night?

Maybe a little. :)

WVJulz
05-17-2007, 01:14 AM

Thank you very much for both sentiments. I loved that jacket and I remember at the time it was like $55 and I wanted it soooooooo bad. Then after awhile, one of my brothers got his hands on it and I never saw it again. :rolleyes:
Julz

WVJulz
05-17-2007, 01:20 AM

I smile every time I see your signature quote. :) I loved WKRP!!! I can't wait to get it on DVD. One of my favorite scenes of all was when there was a bomb planted and the staff assumed it was at the station, so they went to the transmitter to broadcast and the bomb was actually there and blew up the transmitter. The best part of the scene was when Bailey was answering phones at the station and she said to a caller "no sir, no we ARE off the air" and then the caller said something to her to which she replied in a very irritated tone of voice "now how can we announce that we're off the air, WHEN WE'RE OFF THE AIR????????" Kind of a precursor to Bill Engvall saying "Here's Your Sign"

Julz

bengalsown
05-17-2007, 01:25 AM
This is all I've got:

When one of your prized Reds memorabilia is an autographed picture of myself with Hal Morris, way back when the reds played against the Valley View Spartans in a basketball game.

Eric_Davis
05-17-2007, 02:01 AM
If you wore your sleeves real short and pretended to be Klu.

......if you threw up the day they traded away Frank Robinson.

Eric_Davis
05-17-2007, 02:04 AM
I actually jumped up and dumped half my beer on a guy and his girlfriend sitting in front of me. Kinda put a damper on the homer!!! :rolleyes:

Seems like yesterday!!!!

I remember calling the shot. Seriously. I had no doubt. Eric Davis was very special. And I knew the series was over. I knew the REDS had the better team.

harangatang
05-17-2007, 02:28 AM
If you remember the last time the Reds had good starting pitching and a terrible offense.

Eric_Davis
05-17-2007, 02:44 AM
If you remember the last time the Reds had good starting pitching and a terrible offense.

I don't know if anyone's that old.

WVRedsFan
05-17-2007, 02:52 AM
I haven't read this whole wonderful thread, but things that prove I'm old are:

1. Paul Sommerkamp on the PA
2. Waite Hoyt on the radio
3. Ed Kennedy and Frank McCormick on the TV
4. Staying at the Sheraton-Gibson hotel the night before a game
5. Hearing the old organ at Crosley Field
6. Watching out-of-town outfielders stumble up the terrace in the outfield
7. Seeing Bob Purkey baffle hitters with his knuckleball
8. Seeing Big Klu hit one into the Sun Deck

Gosh, I'm old....

Ron Madden
05-17-2007, 03:27 AM
I haven't read this whole wonderful thread, but things that prove I'm old are:

1. Paul Sommerkamp on the PA
2. Waite Hoyt on the radio
3. Ed Kennedy and Frank McCormick on the TV
4. Staying at the Sheraton-Gibson hotel the night before a game
5. Hearing the old organ at Crosley Field
6. Watching out-of-town outfielders stumble up the terrace in the outfield
7. Seeing Bob Purkey baffle hitters with his knuckleball
8. Seeing Big Klu hit one into the Sun Deck

Gosh, I'm old....

I've experienced everthing on your list WVRF. :beerme:

Except seeing Klu knock one into the Sun Deck.

Ted was traded before I got to go to my first game at Crosley Field.

Redlegs
05-17-2007, 11:16 AM
I smile every time I see your signature quote. :) I loved WKRP!!! I can't wait to get it on DVD. Julz

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvFdJ1zUAGU

George Anderson
05-17-2007, 11:53 AM
I remember calling the shot. Seriously. I had no doubt. Eric Davis was very special. And I knew the series was over. I knew the REDS had the better team.

The great thing about Davis home run is it really set the tone for the series. If you recall few people had the Reds winning (myself included :rolleyes:) but when Davis hit the home run the it just gave myself and many others the feeling that just maybe the A's werent invincible!!!

The Davis homerun was great but Joe Olivers game winning hit in Game 2 was possibly my favorite Reds moment ever. I knew it was all down hill for the Reds after winning the first two games!!

Heath
05-17-2007, 12:11 PM
Jim McIntyre and Al Michaels giving away 55 gallons of Super M Marathon Gasoline for every home run.

From 1970-1972 Johnny Bench hit 112 home runs. I wonder if Bench is still using some of that free gas.

Also - Radio Ads for The First National Bank of Cincinnati and Riverside Ford - a bridge and a block from Downtown.

Redlegs
05-17-2007, 12:36 PM
Also - Radio Ads for The First National Bank of Cincinnati and Riverside Ford - a bridge and a block from Downtown.
My dad bought a 1974 Ford F-100 from Riverside Ford.

Johnny Footstool
05-17-2007, 01:57 PM
The great thing about Davis home run is it really set the tone for the series. If you recall few people had the Reds winning (myself included :rolleyes:) but when Davis hit the home run the it just gave myself and many others the feeling that just maybe the A's werent invincible!!!

The Davis homerun was great but Joe Olivers game winning hit in Game 2 was possibly my favorite Reds moment ever. I knew it was all down hill for the Reds after winning the first two games!!

Davis' HR is my all-time favorite Reds memory. He was much-maligned after a poor NLCS, and he had a big chip on his shoulder coming into Game 1. That HR served as a gesture of defiance to all Davis' critics, and to the hugely-favored Oakland squad as well.

I still hold the belief that Davis' HR convinced the entire team that they were going to beat the A's. After that, it was all over but the crying.

George Anderson
05-17-2007, 02:17 PM
Davis' HR is my all-time favorite Reds memory. He was much-maligned after a poor NLCS, and he had a big chip on his shoulder coming into Game 1. That HR served as a gesture of defiance to all Davis' critics, and to the hugely-favored Oakland squad as well.

I still hold the belief that Davis' HR convinced the entire team that they were going to beat the A's. After that, it was all over but the crying.

Davis sure did have his critics. Every time someone bashes Griffey for being hurt, doesn't care, clubhouse cancer etc... I have to laugh because it brings back memories from the late 80's and early 90's when people said the exact same thing about Eric Davis. In fact alot of the same was said earlier about George Foster. I remember like yesterday listening to Bob Trumpy on WLW in the early 80's and caller after caller criticized Foster for announcing that he was no longer going to attempt to catch a ball if it meant running into the wall. Foster stated that his bat was more valuable to the team than having him make plays that would potentially put him on the DL. This didnt go over at all with the WLW Reds listening crowd. Fortunately we soon got the ingrate Foster traded for Alex Trevino, Greg Harris and Jim Kern and it was nothing but happy days from there on out!!! :D

Driver62
05-17-2007, 02:44 PM
I remember the Strohs beer vendor in the blue seats at Riverfront. He was loud and yelled, "Get your ice cold Strohs here...imported all the way from DEEEETROIT."

Chip R
05-17-2007, 02:54 PM
Davis sure did have his critics. Every time someone bashes Griffey for being hurt, doesn't care, clubhouse cancer etc... I have to laugh because it brings back memories from the late 80's and early 90's when people said the exact same thing about Eric Davis. In fact alot of the same was said earlier about George Foster. I remember like yesterday listening to Bob Trumpy on WLW in the early 80's and caller after caller criticized Foster for announcing that he was no longer going to attempt to catch a ball if it meant running into the wall. Foster stated that his bat was more valuable to the team than having him make plays that would potentially put him on the DL. This didnt go over at all with the WLW Reds listening crowd. Fortunately we soon got the ingrate Foster traded for Alex Trevino, Greg Harris and Jim Kern and it was nothing but happy days from there on out!!! :D

And, boy, oh, boy, how they love Davis and Foster now. It'll be like that for Jr. too. He'll be more beloved a few years after he's gone than he ever was when he was here.

redsupport
05-17-2007, 03:01 PM
do you remember Jake Wood

Yachtzee
05-17-2007, 03:42 PM
If, when the opposing pitcher walks a batter, you automatically say "Walks will haunt" and start making ghost noises.

If you look at a pack of Kahn's Big Red Smokies at the grocery store and start arguing with yourself over whether it is in fact a hot dog or a smoked sausage.

westofyou
05-17-2007, 04:00 PM

http://www.deadballart.com/redszone/ed1.gif

Eric_Davis
05-18-2007, 02:38 AM
When the populace of Cincinnati stuffed the ballot box for the All-Star game.

Rem

....and the commissioner removed one of the "stuffed ballot" players from the All-Star game.

Eric_Davis
05-18-2007, 02:41 AM
If the name Gene Tenace sets your blood to boiling.

Yes, it does. I still hate him.

Eric_Davis
05-18-2007, 02:43 AM
....if you remember watching Joe Morgan getting 7 RBI's on a Saturday morning,.....by the 2nd inning!!!,... and then Sparky removing him from the game.

Eric_Davis
05-18-2007, 02:45 AM
No one said night games that started at 8:05pm.

Also real doubleheaders.

....and waiting for that schedule to come out so you could look ahead and see when the double-headers would be scheduled, and then to try to figure out how to get to the stadium for that day.

cumberlandreds
05-18-2007, 08:55 AM
....and waiting for that schedule to come out so you could look ahead and see when the double-headers would be scheduled, and then to try to figure out how to get to the stadium for that day.

Remember Friday night 5:30 pm twi-night double headers? Those were great to go to. Growing up in southeastern Kentucky we would always look at the schedule when it came out and plan our trip(s) to see the Reds when they played those doubleheaders.
All of these bring back great memories. This is a great thread.!

RFS62
05-18-2007, 09:09 AM
Double headers
Going down early to watch infield practice
Riding the train to Union terminal
Whispering on one end of the main concourse and the sound carried to your brother on the other end
The awesome "C Reds" emblem on the end of the aisle seats at Crosley
Actually hoping for a rain delay when you were listening on the radio just so Waite Hoyt would spin some yarns

WVJulz
05-18-2007, 10:28 AM
Riding the train to Union terminal
Whispering on one end of the main concourse and the sound carried to your brother on the other end
The awesome "C Reds" emblem on the end of the aisle seats at Crosley
Actually hoping for a rain delay when you were listening on the radio just so Waite Hoyt would spin some yarns

Unfortunately, due to the ignorance of the powers that were in this country, rail travel has almost disappeared, so I never got to experience taking a train anywhere, let alone to a ball game. But, my parents did. (BTW, they were so happy to see the new stadiums built to resemble fields like Crosley, Forbes Field, etc. They said that apparently, everyone had had enough of the "cookie cutter" stadiums and realized how beautiful the old ball parks were and decided to make the old new again!) They took a train to Cincy one summer to a game and my Mom had her foot on the back of the seat of the guy in front of her at the stadium and she said he was a very HEAVY guy. Something happened that brought the crowd to their feet, and when he stood up, the seat closed on her foot!!!! She said she bled and bled and bled and didn't think it would ever stop. That's her number one memory of Crosley Field. :barf:
I envy any of you who actually got to ride passenger trains. I realize how important the interstate system is to this country, but it ruined the rail industry. How does Europe still have train travel? You can travel anywhere in Europe for practically nothing, can't you?
Okay, off my soap box now babies...
Julz

Chip R
05-18-2007, 10:51 AM
Unfortunately, due to the ignorance of the powers that were in this country, rail travel has almost disappeared, so I never got to experience taking a train anywhere, let alone to a ball game. But, my parents did. (BTW, they were so happy to see the new stadiums built to resemble fields like Crosley, Forbes Field, etc. They said that apparently, everyone had had enough of the "cookie cutter" stadiums and realized how beautiful the old ball parks were and decided to make the old new again!) They took a train to Cincy one summer to a game and my Mom had her foot on the back of the seat of the guy in front of her at the stadium and she said he was a very HEAVY guy. Something happened that brought the crowd to their feet, and when he stood up, the seat closed on her foot!!!! She said she bled and bled and bled and didn't think it would ever stop. That's her number one memory of Crosley Field. :barf:
I envy any of you who actually got to ride passenger trains. I realize how important the interstate system is to this country, but it ruined the rail industry. How does Europe still have train travel? You can travel anywhere in Europe for practically nothing, can't you?
Okay, off my soap box now babies...
Julz

Not to get off topic but it's a little different comparing Europe to the U.S. And I think the railroad system here has in some ways screwed itself. If you want to be somewhere on time that is a few hundred miles away, you cannot rely on Amtrak. About 10 years ago I was living in Iowa and a friend and I had plans to go to Chicago over 4th of July weekend. We thought Amtrak would be the best way to do this. My parents had taken Amtrak on ski trips before and they warned me about delays and told me to call the station early enough to make sure the train was on time. So, the morning we were leaving, I got up bright and early and called Amtrak and asked them about the schedule. They told me the train was still in Nebraska and it was undergoing some maintenance and it might be at the station by late afternoon. We just said the heck with it and drove to Chicago. If we had waited for that train, God knows when we would have ended up in Chicago. The thing may have broken down in Illinois.

westofyou
05-18-2007, 10:52 AM
I envy any of you who actually got to ride passenger trains.

Ugghhh give me a plane or a car any day.

klw
05-18-2007, 12:42 PM
if your first thought upon hearing Bowie Kuhn passed away was "Do we get Vida Blue now?"

Yachtzee
05-18-2007, 03:32 PM
Ugghhh give me a plane or a car any day.

Some high-speed trains are like taking a plane on the ground, only less cramped and you don't have to go through airport security to get on one. I would love an affordable high-speed train option to go from Cleveland or Akron to Cincinnati for a weekend series. It's such a bore to drive I-71 and if you fly, you spend more time waiting around in airports than you do actually travelling.

jpurdy974
05-20-2007, 08:17 AM
I guess this is really giving away my age, but I remember when there was a sign on the building over the left field wall (I believe it was a laundry) that said "hit this sign and win a Siebler suit" I can remember hearing about it done a few times. The one that comes to mind is Wally Post doing it.

RANDY IN INDY
05-20-2007, 09:39 AM
Wally was a well dressed man.

Driver62
05-20-2007, 12:31 PM
I guess this is really giving away my age, but I remember when there was a sign on the building over the left field wall (I believe it was a laundry) that said "hit this sign and win a Siebler suit" I can remember hearing about it done a few times. The one that comes to mind is Wally Post doing it.

According to the Crosley Field site, Wally Post hit the sign 11 times.

WVJulz
05-26-2007, 04:58 PM
This one is from my older brother....does anybody remember Chico Ruiz' alligator spikes?

I also asked him if he remembered the announcement when you entered the stadium as you were going up the escalator...he hesitated for a moment and said it!

He also said that you might be an old Reds fan if you can remember when the Reds actually won more than one game in a row. :bang:

Julz