PDA

View Full Version : Harang & McBeth on bereavement list; Keppenger & Salmon up

reds44
05-17-2007, 03:54 PM
From the Reds:

Aaron Harang today went on the bereavement list. He remained in San Diego with his ailing grandfather.

A roster move will be made prior to tomorrow night’s game. We will list Sunday’s starter as TBA, in the event Aaron doesn't make it back.
-Fay

Tornon
05-17-2007, 04:07 PM
I think it'd be kinda cool to see Dumatrait to get that start (if Aaron doesn't make it back), although i don't know what Louisville pitcher lines up with Sunday

bounty37h
05-17-2007, 04:08 PM
^for your sign line, I havent seen or heard anything from the players on either side of the story, would be interesting to get some input from them on it. personally, I think fans and media both blew it out of proprotion, and likely the players didnt pay it much attention. I know my coach pulled me in a game in high school for not running one out, and its a mistake I never made again. I think its ridiculous to say after Narron embarrassed EE (and I know, not your words), I think EE embarrassed himself on that one.....

reds44
05-17-2007, 04:08 PM
I think it'd be kinda cool to see Dumatrait to get that start, although i don't know what Louisville pitcher lines up with Sunday
Wouldn't it be Livingston? Or do we have to wait 10 days to call him up?

If there's a 10 day rule, that rules out:
Edwin
Salmon
Keppinger
Livingston

Tornon
05-17-2007, 04:18 PM
Wouldn't it be Livingston? Or do we have to wait 10 days to call him up?

I know the 10-day rule is nullified if a player goes on the DL, but I'm not sure if it applies to the bereavement list

JLB5
05-17-2007, 04:26 PM
Is there any doubt it will be a 4th catcher?

TC81190
05-17-2007, 04:37 PM
Edwin = :deadhorse

Seriously annoying.

Unassisted
05-17-2007, 05:08 PM
WLW says no roster move is planned unless Harang can't make it back by Sunday.

BRM
05-17-2007, 05:14 PM
WLW says no roster move is planned unless Harang can't make it back by Sunday.

Brilliant. :rolleyes:

reds44
05-17-2007, 05:15 PM
Is it even legal to play with a 24 man roster?

BRM
05-17-2007, 05:17 PM

Sure. The Reds did it under O'Brien a few times IIRC.

reds44
05-17-2007, 05:18 PM
Sure. The Reds did it under O'Brien a few times IIRC.
Did they actually play with a 24 man roster, or did they just have an injured player or somebody gone and they virtually played with a 24 man roster?

The Reds put Harang on the bereavement list, removing him from the roster. We literally only have a 24 man roster right now.

If the Reds aren't going to make a move, why did they bother to put him on the bereavement list?

BRM
05-17-2007, 05:21 PM
Good point. I may be remembering Junior being on the roster but not playing for several days due to injury.

I agree with you. Why put him on the bereavement list now if a move isn't being made? Just put him on it on Sunday if he can't make it back. Can you retroactively place a player on the bereavement list?

GoReds44
05-17-2007, 05:24 PM
Wow, you guys aren't even talking about the most important part here which is his sick grandfather..Best wishes to him and the family..Hope all goes well

roby
05-17-2007, 07:41 PM
Good point. I may be remembering Junior being on the roster but not playing for several days due to injury.

I agree with you. Why put him on the bereavement list now if a move isn't being made? Just put him on it on Sunday if he can't make it back. Can you retroactively place a player on the bereavement list?

Maybe Aaron is on the "day-to-day" bereavement list. Seriously, I, too, pray that Harang's grandpa gets well soon. Aaron seems like a great kid with a good heart.

BigRed
05-17-2007, 07:43 PM
They will bring someone up whether Harang misses a start or not. Otherwise, they wouldn't have made the transaction. I don't know what move they are going to make.

CTA513
05-17-2007, 07:46 PM
From Trents blog:

harang stays back

Aaron Harang has been put on the bereavement list and stayed in sad diego to stay with his ailing grandfather. A roster move (and I have an odd feeling it may be the big one, but I wouldn't put money on it) willl be made tomorrow

Also got this note from rob butcher (sorry it's late, just landed at cvg): “In an extended spring game today LHP Bill Bray threw 27 pitches in 2.0 innings with no complaints.

Depending on how he feels tomorrow, it is possible he could start a rehab assignment on Sunday.

reds44
05-17-2007, 07:48 PM
What does he mean by the big one?

Wallyposter
05-17-2007, 09:09 PM
In my opinion,the only really "big one" move that they could make would be Homer Bailey. I don't think Trent would use the phrase "big one" for any other player move, excluding a big trade of course.

reds44
05-17-2007, 09:19 PM
In my opinion,the only really "big one" move that they could make would be Homer Bailey. I don't think Trent would use the phrase "big one" for any other player move, excluding a big trade of course.
Why would they call him up for 1 start, or even less then that?

Doesn't make much sense to me.

RedsMan3203
05-17-2007, 09:29 PM

Edwin coming back up is a huge annoucement. :laugh:

Note: I know Edwin cannot be called back up yet....

edabbs44
05-17-2007, 09:31 PM

Then take it to the bank, because this season has made everything but sense.

freestyle55
05-17-2007, 09:43 PM
I think Bailey is eligible to come off the minor league DL on Sunday, so that could be the "big one"...I really hope it's not him, he needs a little more time in Louisville to work on his control.

I also would like to see what Dumatrait can bring to the team...perhaps with him only pitching an inning the other day, he might be the guy...

REDREAD
05-17-2007, 11:15 PM
Did they actually play with a 24 man roster, or did they just have an injured player or somebody gone and they virtually played with a 24 man roster?

I forget the specifics, but yes, several times the Reds played with a true 24 man roster.

REDREAD
05-17-2007, 11:17 PM
Edwin coming back up is a huge annoucement. :laugh:

The big announcement: Van der Wall is coming out of retirement to make a comeback. Press conference tommorrow :laugh:

jmac
05-18-2007, 12:38 AM
If it is not....Reds have broken law alot over last few years.

robmadden1
05-18-2007, 01:08 AM
Do you think the big roster move is Naron being fired?

NorrisHopper30
05-18-2007, 07:46 AM

no

puca
05-18-2007, 08:09 AM

Doesn't really make sense in this context unless, of course, his replacement is a player/manager.

Marge'sMullet
05-18-2007, 08:21 AM

It make perfect sense. A: He knows it's just for one start = less pressure. B: Around his turn in the rotation. C: Shows him more about what he needs to work on.

I like this move. Who ever said he has a come up and stick in 2008 would like this move too. This gives him a little taste with also knowing it's just one start because of Harang on bereavement.

Ltlabner
05-18-2007, 08:36 AM
It make perfect sense. A: He knows it's just for one start = less pressure. B: Around his turn in the rotation. C: Shows him more about what he needs to work on.

Disagree totally.

His first big league start will incite nerves no matter if it's a one night stand or he's penciled into the rotation. In fact, my guess is he'll really want to impress in his "first big start" and would likely put more pressure on himself to make the most of it and over throw the ball.

I doubt one start will show him what he really needs to work on. Either he will do very well because the batters don't have a book on him. Or he'll get killed because of a combo of nerves and overelance on his fast ball. Either of these options (the definition of small sample size) will tell us next to nothing. IIRC Randy Keislers first big league start was pretty impressive too.

Not to mention, if he's comming off the DL with a groin strain, do we really want to throw him into the fire? Or let him slowly get back up to speed by pitching in AAA where he can be pulled early if needed. Do we really want him pulled in the 4th or 5th inning with this bullpen?

rotnoid
05-18-2007, 09:17 AM
They will bring someone up whether Harang misses a start or not. Otherwise, they wouldn't have made the transaction. I don't know what move they are going to make.

Not to sound cynical, but they could just be looking for an extra bat the first 2 days of the interleague series with Cleveland. With the roster as its constructed now, Javy is the only option at DH.

While I'm not downplaying Harang's grandfathers illness (and my prayers go out to Aaron and his family), could this be another case like the phantom "elbow strains" that always put Milty on the DL?

Chip R
05-18-2007, 09:27 AM
I think they'll need a guy in the bullpen more than anything. You have the feeling CLE is licking their chops in anticipation of facing the Reds pitching. They are going to miss Arroyo and maybe Harang.

Danny Serafini
05-18-2007, 12:25 PM
Marcus McBeth also went on the bereavement list today, no explanation yet. Salmon and Keppinger both come up according to the team press notes.

rotnoid
05-18-2007, 12:29 PM
So much for excitement. Looks like Harang or bullpen day Sunday.

Degenerate39
05-18-2007, 01:21 PM
I really want to see McBeth pitch. Now that's delayed

robmadden1
05-18-2007, 01:31 PM
They could do like they did last yr and pitch Arroyo on 4 days rest, he prefers that.

bucksfan2
05-18-2007, 02:19 PM
They could do like they did last yr and pitch Arroyo on 4 days rest, he prefers that.

If Arroyo gets the call it wont be on 4 days rest will it? Because of the off day it should be his spot in the normal rotation. I think it will either be Arroyo or Saarloos depending on the matchup.

Strikes Out Looking
05-18-2007, 02:24 PM
I'm thinking about placing myself on the bereavement list for the rest of this season. The Reds are killing me!

deltachi8
05-18-2007, 03:31 PM
So much for excitement. Looks like Harang or bullpen day Sunday.

Nothing says excitement like "Bullpen Day." Wonder if Jerry will combine that with a Sunday Special lineup?

Can't wait to be there on Sunday!

redsrule2500
05-18-2007, 05:31 PM
Homer

dsmith421
05-18-2007, 05:38 PM
Rickey. It would make the Reds 1000 times more interesting. Also, he's probably a better hitter at 48 than anyone on the Reds current bench.

MartyFan
05-19-2007, 02:40 AM
When Homer comes up he will be here for good...they will probably release a BP arm or trade Milton.

Kingspoint
05-20-2007, 12:37 AM
Per www.cincinnatireds.com Narron said before the game Saturday night that it looks like Harang will be pitching Sunday and that he got his regular throwing in at San Diego State University. If he's not feeling "normal", according to Narron, Saarloos will pitch Sunday and Harang the next game on Monday.