PDA

View Full Version : The Reds Took Infield Today

Razor Shines
05-18-2007, 05:10 PM
From Fay's Blog:

Unusual early session

Looks like the Reds had a mandatory early workout. There was the usual extra hitting and the like. But this was no typical early session.

They took fielding practice. Bucky Dent hit fungos into the gaps and corners, outfielders ran them and hit the cut-off guy. You usually only see that kind of stuff in spring training.

After the club took infield -- again a regular season rarity -- Jerry Narron called them all in. He talked to them for about five minutes around the pitcher's mound. Bucky Dent also spoke, as did David Weathers.

Desperate times, desperate measures and all that.

We'll see how much good it did starting at 7:10.

I like it. It's not going to fix all the Reds' problems but it's something and if you're going to talk about doing things the right way, then practice doing things the right way. I think they should take fielding practice everyday, but that's just me.

Matt700wlw
05-18-2007, 05:12 PM
Took long enough - now do it all the time....

reds44
05-18-2007, 05:13 PM
Maybe he'll institue a take sign too.

captainmorgan07
05-18-2007, 05:13 PM
good to hear hope this practice continues everyday it will help keep some of the young guys sharp on situations during the games

reds44
05-18-2007, 05:15 PM
good to hear hope this practice continues everyday it will help keep some of the young guys sharp on situations during the games
What young guys?

Ron Madden
05-18-2007, 05:15 PM
Wow!!! Nothing can stop us now.

Matt700wlw
05-18-2007, 05:21 PM
They're fixed!! THEY'RE FIXED!!!!!

http://www.stephenking.nl/shawshankspecial/fotos/andyRAIN1.jpg

captainmorgan07
05-18-2007, 05:35 PM
What young guys?

refferring to hamilton hopper phillips

Screwball
05-18-2007, 05:49 PM
There's also this from an updated version of Fay's blog:

The session was unprecedented under Narron. The team had not done it once all of last year or this year. Judging from the body language not all the players were happy about it.

While this is just one man's take on some players' body language, it is as I would've feared. The team is going to lead the league in errors, and when the manager implements extra fielding practice, some players aren't happy about it. Will this fix all the Reds problems? Of course not. Just like a pro golfer practicing his bunker play (fielding) won't cure any wayward drives (bullpen), it will help his game overall. And last I checked, that's not something to pout about.

Unassisted
05-18-2007, 05:51 PM
Those who didn't like it should be glad Narron didn't make them do it on the off-day, too.

Always Red
05-18-2007, 06:29 PM
They should have held a seminar on lineup construction instead.

redsfanmia
05-18-2007, 06:39 PM
This move reeks of desperation. It reminds me of Miley taking away Dunn and Griffeys chairs a few years ago. Way too little and way too late.

redsfan1966
05-18-2007, 06:49 PM
Griffey just referred to the infield practice and team meeting as a "corporate outing" on Reds Live...he said they talked about "corporate things, like fundraising"...obviously Jr. did not take any of it seriously....looks like Narron is toast...

reds44
05-18-2007, 06:51 PM
Griffey just referred to the infield practice and team meeting as a "corporate outing" on Reds Live...he said they talked about "corporate things, like fundraising"...obviously Jr. did not take any of it seriously....looks like Narron is toast...
Wow. Narron has lost the team.

jimbo
05-18-2007, 06:51 PM

I very much doubt that Griffey did not take it seriously, he's just going to keep whatever was said in-house.

redsfan1966
05-18-2007, 06:53 PM
jimbo...from what i saw on fsn, it was obvious Jr. was not taking it seriously at all.....smirking and joking....i ve seen this attitude before....the "laughing behind the back" attitude....

jimbo
05-18-2007, 06:56 PM
jimbo...from what i saw on fsn, it was obvious Jr. was not taking it seriously at all.....smirking and joking....i ve seen this attitude before....the "laughing behind the back" attitude....

I saw it too, but I guess I'm not as talented as some here who can take a few words said by someone on television and extract the true meaning behind it and their body language.

Griffey is too much of a professional to purposely mock his manager on live tv as you are suggesting.

Eric_Davis
05-18-2007, 06:58 PM
Why don't you come to your senses
You've been out riding fences
For so long now
Oh you're a hard one
But I know that you've got your reasons
These things that are pleasin' you
Can hurt you somehow

Don't you try the queen of diamonds boy
She'll beat you if she's able
An you know the Queen of hearts is always your best bet
Now it seems to me some fine things
Have been laid upon your table
But you only want the ones that you can't get

Desperado
Oh you ain't getting no younger
Your pain and your hunger
Are driving you home
And freedom oh freedom
Well that's just some people talking
Your prison is walking through this world all alone

Don't your feet get cold in the wintertime
The sky won't snaw and the sun won't shine
It's hard to tell the nighttime from the day
And you're losing all your highs and lows
Ain't it funny how the feeling goes away

Desperado
Why don't you come to your sense?
Come down from your fences
Open the gate
It may be raining
But there's a rainbow above you
You better let somebody love you
Let somebody love you
You better let somebody love you

alloverjr
05-18-2007, 07:01 PM
I very much doubt that Griffey did not take it seriously, he's just going to keep whatever was said in-house.

Jr is too much of a professional, I agree with this assessment.

redsfan1966
05-18-2007, 07:01 PM
oh well jimbo...we will just have to agree to disagree....I do think Jr was mocking Narron.....but oh well, there is a game to catch...later...

Always Red
05-18-2007, 07:50 PM
Junior is the THE VET on this team; everyone looks up to Junior and respects what he has done in the game. Not too many teams have a sure-fire, first ballot HoF'er on their team.

How he carries himself, and how he responds to the media, speaks volumes, to his teammates, the press, and the fans. In this day and age of blogs, video cameras and instant information, everything you say or do is subject to review.

Junior could set the tone, for this team, if he chose to do so.

This team desperately needs Junior to step up and lead them. He's always said in the past that he leads by example, and that's fine, because he has. Few men have ever played the game as well as The Kid has.

This team needs a verbal tongue-lashing, and it needs to come from Ken Griffey, Jr. Once again, he's the best player on this team (I know, it's hard to believe but true). He needs to directly address what Scott Hatteberg was referring to the other night. He needs to dispel any and all rumors that this team takes losing easily.

I love Junior, and I would love him even more if he stepped up and took on this role. If Junior showed some fire, some passion, it would catch, it would spread throughout the clubhouse and I would catch it, too. And many you would, too.

I have no idea what goes on behind closed doors; I have no idea what he says to other players.

I do know that Junior is an enormously talented baseball player, and he's having a great year, just when I though he couldn't do it any more. I love the fact that he's from Cincinnati and went to Moeller HS (my school's main rival!). I absolutely hate what injury has done to his career. If he had not been injured, all this crap with Bonds this year would have been a moot point; he'd have destroyed Bonds by now. Ken Griffey, Jr is a fine man, a good teammate, dad, husband,and son. He's been a great role model for our kids. Not a single one of us have ever had to point at Junior and shake our head or try to explain to our kids why they should not emulate him in any way.

I also know, from many folks whom have known Junior over the years, that he's a real smartass (and I mean that in a good way- see the jockstrap incident in LA the other night). Sometimes that backfires on him. Sometimes he says things in an offhanded, sometimes flippant manner, that doesn't come across like he means it to.

Now is not the time for that. Junior has never had a ring, never played in a World Series. He came close, once, in 1995, when the Mariner's lost to the Indians in 6 games in the ALCS. I'd love to see Junior get a ring. There will always be questions as to why Junior didn't lead a team to a championship, fairly or unfairly asked.

I'd love to see that ring come with the Reds; obviously, it will not happen this year. But it could, next year, or in 2009.

Junior could set the tone. Junior could demand excellence and effort. He may already be doing this in the clubhouse, behind closed doors, again, I have no idea. I hope he is. When I see video like I did tonight, and I know that Jerry Narron is managing as if each game is his last, and I see Junior laughing about his efforts, I have to admit, it does make me wonder. And it does set a tone.

redsfan1966
05-18-2007, 10:37 PM
Thank you always red--well said and I concur with many of your thoughts:clap:

Driver62
05-19-2007, 10:03 AM
The extra infield really helped. They made two errors in last nights game.:(

Reds Freak
05-19-2007, 10:56 AM
Anyone see Hal McCoy's comments about the fielding practice...:laugh:

"Five hours before the Cleveland Indians began a 9-4
onslaught, all 25 members of the Cincinnati Reds were Men at Work on Jacobs Field at 2 o'clock.
Judging from the outcome of the game, one might surmise the gathering was to discuss a quick evacuation in case of the catastrophe that was about to come.
..........Then they played the game and the Reds threw and kicked the ball all over the Lakefront and up and down E. 9th Street."

LINEDRIVER
05-19-2007, 11:15 AM
A one time session of extra infield is not going to cure what ails this team. I worked an extra 20 minutes on my putting yesterday. Does that mean I'll be sinking 30 footers today?

I would say that the purpose of the extra work was because Narron thought the boys needed the extra work AND because he wanted to remind the boys who is the boss.

The children are not responding so Daddy has to get tougher.

Spring~Fields
05-19-2007, 11:19 AM
"The Reds Took Infield Today"
Makes me think that the Reds management team is reactive instead of proactive. The fielding practice seems almost like an after thought.

LINEDRIVER
05-19-2007, 11:44 AM
For the most part, major leaguers dont take 'infield' anymore. I think I heard that the Brewers take infield regularly. It's not like the Reds are the only bunch of lazy bums that dont take infield.

I think the situation has evolved into the players not wanting to work any harder than they have to and because they dont want to take chance on suffering an injury and losing bargaining power on the next contract. A team's management looks the other way because an injury could harm ticket sales, etc.