PDA

View Full Version : Hamilton out w/ Gastroenteritis

Petitt33
05-19-2007, 02:40 PM
CLEVELAND -- from the reds:

At approximately 5:45 this morning Reds OF Josh Hamilton was taken by ambulance to Lutheran Hospital in Cleveland, where he was diagnosed with gastroenteritis, a general term referring to the inflammation or infection of the gastrointestinal tract.

He has returned to the team hotel, where he is resting. He is day-to-day.
http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs/spring/

TOBTTReds
05-19-2007, 02:41 PM
What does this team eat?

jimbo
05-19-2007, 02:43 PM
Wow, when I first read the title my thoughts immediately turned for the worst........a relapse. Glad to hear it is nothing too serious, even though gastroenteritis is very unpleasant. Hope he recovers quickly.

What is it with this team and stomach ailments?

justincredible
05-19-2007, 02:51 PM
Krivsky should file a grievance against the hotel restaurant.

Joseph
05-19-2007, 02:53 PM

Krivsky didn't ask if it had a history of gastroenteritis prior to the team dining there, so there is really nothing he can do against the hotel.

Degenerate39
05-19-2007, 03:10 PM
When the Reds fall they fall hard.

Reverend Doo-Rag
05-19-2007, 03:46 PM
So what's gastroenteritis? Sounds like real nasty farts.

hebroncougar
05-19-2007, 03:53 PM

I've had it. Caught it while coaching a game down close to the Ohio River. Nasty, nasty intestinal bug. I very rarely miss work, and I missed 3 days with it. Let's just say...........it wasn't real pretty.

Will
05-19-2007, 04:02 PM

Gastroenteritis is a general term referring to inflammation or infection of the gastrointestinal tract, primarily the stomach and intestines.[1] It can be caused by infection with bacteria, viruses, or other parasites, or less commonly reactions to new foods or medications. It often involves stomach pain (sometimes to the point of crippling), diarrhea and/or vomiting, with noninflammatory infection of the upper small bowel, or inflammatory infections of the colon.[2][3][4][5]

It usually is of acute onset, normally lasting fewer than 10 days and self-limiting. Sometimes it is referred to simply as 'gastro'. It is often called the stomach flu or gastric flu even though it is not related to influenza.[6]

If inflammation is limited to the stomach, the term gastritis is used, and if the small bowel alone is affected it is enteritis.

keeganbrick
05-19-2007, 04:11 PM
Give me more Castro!!

jmcclain19
05-19-2007, 08:14 PM

You should look for a claim to be put in about April of 2008.

mth123
05-19-2007, 09:02 PM
What is it with this team and stomach ailments?

They've been watching the game films.

HotCorner
05-19-2007, 09:06 PM
I've had it. Caught it while coaching a game down close to the Ohio River. Nasty, nasty intestinal bug. I very rarely miss work, and I missed 3 days with it. Let's just say...........it wasn't real pretty.

Yeah. I had it about 10 years ago. I had to go to urgent care because the pain was so bad. I missed my first week on a new job. Forunately they understood.

George Foster
05-19-2007, 09:12 PM
Yeah. I had it about 10 years ago. I had to go to urgent care because the pain was so bad. I missed my first week on a new job. Forunately they understood.

I missed 6 days of work in 13 years, 3 with this stuff. Not to get to gross but I was on the pot so much I started to bleed:eek: It scared the crap out of me:D I was so dehydrated they pumped 3 bags of fluids in me over 5 hrs in the ER. I used 18 rolls of TP over 3 days. Horrible stuff.

Chip R
05-19-2007, 10:37 PM
I had to move out of a 3rd floor apartment by myself, drive about 150 miles and go through a college graduation with it.

icehole3
05-20-2007, 12:14 PM
Adam Cutler was mentioning on Sunday morning Sports talk that he had some emails from people who think Hamilton may be relapsing, nothing would surprise me, its very very hard to recover from crack cocaine. One caller mentioned that 92% of people have a relapse of some sort from the drug. Hamilton is attempting something that is the hardest thing to do in sports, I pray to god he is OK.

Matt700wlw
05-20-2007, 12:18 PM
Adam Cutler was mentioning on Sunday morning Sports talk that he had some emails from people who think Hamilton may be relapsing, nothing would surprise me, its very very hard to recover from crack cocaine. One caller mentioned that 92% of people have a relapse of some sort from the drug. Hamilton is attempting something that is the hardest thing to do in sports, I pray to god he is OK.

I guess if he is relapsing, we'll know soon enough when he fails one of his 3 pee tests of the week....

jojo
05-20-2007, 12:32 PM
I really, really, really hate wild speculation.

BTW, based upon VORP, Josh is one of the leading candidates for NL rookie of the year.... only Hunter Pence has a higher VORP among national league rookies...

This could be a very fun battle to watch especially since both are centerfielders with somewhat similar skillsets (apples to apples as it were).

Matt700wlw
05-20-2007, 12:36 PM
I really, really, really hate wild speculation.

So do I....but it is a fair concern

jimbo
05-20-2007, 01:10 PM
It's unfortunate, but everytime Hamilton comes up hurt or sick, this type of baseless speculation will probably always come up.

George Foster
05-20-2007, 01:22 PM
It's unfortunate, but everytime Hamilton comes up hurt or sick, this type of baseless speculation will probably always come up.

It's not baseless. When you have a history fo illegal drug use, and failing rehab time and time again..you get what is coming to you and that is speculation.

It would be baseless if people were questioning Griffey about drug use, because he has absolutely no history of it.

George Foster
05-20-2007, 01:27 PM
We all have to remember that Josh is not use to traveling and eating out every night. You are exposed to a lot of things when you spend a lot of time where the general public is. Resturants, hotel lobbies, taxies, hotel rooms, etc. The other guys on the team have been use to traveling for years, and have built up some immunity to viruses.

Matt700wlw
05-20-2007, 01:43 PM
We all have to remember that Josh is not use to traveling and eating out every night. You are exposed to a lot of things when you spend a lot of time where the general public is. Resturants, hotel lobbies, taxies, hotel rooms, etc. The other guys on the team have been use to traveling for years, and have built up some immunity to viruses.

Even the change in water can mess with you...

jojo
05-20-2007, 01:51 PM

an important fact is that this occurred in Cleveland.... ' nuff said about disease and pestilence and potable drinking water....

jimbo
05-20-2007, 02:31 PM
It's not baseless. When you have a history fo illegal drug use, and failing rehab time and time again..you get what is coming to you and that is speculation.

Since the meaning of baseless is having no basis or foundation in fact, then I would call speculating that Hamilton has relapsed with no evidence behind it as a "baseless speculation."

jojo
05-20-2007, 02:32 PM
Since the meaning of baseless is having no basis or foundation in fact, then I would call speculating that Hamilton has relapsed with no evidence behind it as a "baseless speculation."

yep

Triples
05-21-2007, 07:50 AM
Agree. And furthermore, the man has to pee in a cup 3 times a week to prove that he is not "relapsing". If he is falling off the wagon, it would already be apparent and he would have been suspended. Suggesting that he might be using again is beyond baseless speculation and IMO bordering on abusive speculation. I'd prefer to leave that kind of gossip for the "View".

44Magnum
05-21-2007, 01:29 PM
Give the man a break. He has a nasty case of the runs.

durl
05-21-2007, 05:17 PM
Rumors (and let's stress RUMORS) of a drug relapse may not be baseless, but they are rather disgusting. While I can't guarantee that he has NOT relapsed, there's no reason to believe that he has. Period.

I say these rumors are disgusting because if I were a recovering addict, the last thing I would want is a rumor being started that I had relapsed. I understand that his journey is an ongoing one and anything can happen. I'm sure Josh, of all people, understands that people will wonder if he can make it. But I can't help but believe that he would want everyone, especially Reds fans, to pull for him to continue winning the battle and quit entertaining notions of a relapse any time he's not in the lineup. He's been sick twice this year and BOTH TIMES, rumors of a drug relapse have surfaced.

In our culture today, we look for some hot, juicy gossip on celebrities. I wish people would just give Josh a break and quit assuming the worst just for the sake of spreading rumors.

Newman4
05-22-2007, 08:22 AM
I missed 6 days of work in 13 years, 3 with this stuff. Not to get to gross but I was on the pot so much I started to bleed:eek: It scared the crap out of me:D I was so dehydrated they pumped 3 bags of fluids in me over 5 hrs in the ER. I used 18 rolls of TP over 3 days. Horrible stuff.

I had this two weeks ago, so I can relate. The only thing that stopped mine was that I didn't eat anything else. Thus, nothing left to come out. I was on the IV for a few hours and then got to eat some nice unsalted crackers, bananas and apple sauce for a few days. Get well soon, Josh.

BTW, what the heck does this condition have to do with cocaine relapses? I tell ya one thing, if he's bleeding from somewhere, he's not bleeding out his nose boys and girls. :rolleyes:

EddieMilner
05-22-2007, 11:01 AM
How long does cocaine/crack stay in your system (with a urine test)? I know that some drugs (acid) are only detectable for a very short time. And I also know that other drugs can show up for much longer (marijuana). I am at work so I really don't feel like googling "Cocaine Drug Test System Urine Time Frame" I feel that might hit a red flag or two.