PDA

View Full Version : Conine or Harris?

Matt700wlw
05-20-2007, 11:10 AM
The player nobody talks about.
Along with Bill Bray, Gary Majewski and Darryl Thompson....the Reds aquired Brendan Harris from the Nationals.

Harris went on to be the AAA Bats hitter of the month in August...hitting .370 with 10 doubles. He was recalled by the Reds on August 31st and appeared in eight games, starting the last game at 2B.

On December 21st the Reds aquired Jeff Conine from the Phillies for infielder Brad Key and outfielder Javon Moran, . To make room for Conine, the Reds designated Harris for assignment. On January 2nd the Reds traded Harris to Tampa for a player to be named later.

Harris goes into action today batting .342 for the Tampa Bay Devil Rays....2nd best in the AL

-Lance

Speaking of Conine, he's the DH for today (5-20-07)

hebroncougar
05-20-2007, 11:28 AM
Did Lance mention anything about it when Harris was traded??? He's pretty good at looking at stuff 6 months later and griping about it.

Matt700wlw
05-20-2007, 11:31 AM
Did Lance mention anything about it when Harris was traded??? He's pretty good at looking at stuff 6 months later and griping about it.

I can't remember.....that was a while ago...

Some things need 6 months before they're gripeable...

westofyou
05-20-2007, 11:33 AM
Some things need 6 months before they're gripeable...

Not on Rightzone they don't

VR
05-20-2007, 11:34 AM
just confirms the Reds got the better end of the deal w/ WA.

westofyou
05-20-2007, 11:45 AM
Harris goes into action today batting .342 for the Tampa Bay Devil Rays....2nd best in the AL

That's good,I liked Harris and I wish the Reds had kept him, or found a way to have kept him but let's not let facts get in the way of a good rant.

1. He's not "qualified" in at bats to rank in the league totals if we were to look at qualified batters he'd be #4, not #2

2. As far as where he is now in all the AL it's #6 with guys with over 100 at bats.

That said I sure wish they had his RH stick now that EE has been struggling, but 117 at bats is not a career so Brandon best keep hitting .342, because he walks about once every 15 at bats.

edabbs44
05-20-2007, 12:05 PM
I'm not going to say that Wayne should have been able to predict the "success" of Harris, because he shouldn't have. But this is why you try and get as much youth as possible.

Old players tend to get worse while young players tend to improve.

Gary Redus
05-21-2007, 08:32 AM
Happened to be at the Rays v. Marlins game yesterday and Harris got the start at short. He's the kind of player every team needs - decent glove and have a chance at the dish (as compared to Juan Castro for example). Over the long haul, he's not likely an All Star but he is good player.

HokieRed
05-21-2007, 11:06 AM
I don't understand why Wayne shouldn't have been able to predict the success of Harris. That's really what he is, above all, paid to do--identify talent--or at least to employ people who can be counted on to reliably identify talent. Harris's line last year at Louisville was certainly good enough that it made a lot of us wonder why on earth Wayne sent him to the D'Rays: 148 ABs, 5Hrs, 28 RBI's, 40% of hits for extra bases, .324/.384/.534/.918. The irony of "THE TRADE" is, more and more, that if Bray and Majewski are able to contribute to the bullpen, as I think they will, and as Cincinnati fans' memory of last year fades, Wayne would be seen as getting way the better end of the deal over leatherpants. Playing in RFK exposes just how overvalued Lopez was and Kearns is looking more all the time like a middle of the pack corner outfielder at best. Wayne would have gotten two usable bullpen parts, Harris, and a serious pitching prospect in Thompson while saving enormously on salary, opening the way for at least better defense at short and solving the defensive problem in the outfield by opening up right for Junior. It would have looked like a great trade if he'd had the conviction to stick to it. The fact he let Harris go the way he did suggests what's most disturbing about Krivsky: that's there not a lot of real conviction or talent assessment in any of his trades.

texasdave
05-21-2007, 11:21 AM
On January 2nd the Reds traded Harris to Tampa for a player to be named later.

(5-20-07)

I know that sometimes the PTBNL is contingent upon how well the other player in the deal performs. If that is the case in this deal, keep on truckin', Brendan.

kyred14
05-21-2007, 11:43 AM
I know that sometimes the PTBNL is contingent upon how well the other player in the deal performs. If that is the case in this deal, keep on truckin', Brendan.

I think Wayne already took our old friend, Pile O. Cash, for him.

44Magnum
05-21-2007, 12:36 PM
Let's hope Harris brings us something of value in return. Everyone knows that Reds sure could use it.