PDA

View Full Version : time to call up Majewski

The Snow Chief
05-21-2007, 07:46 AM
The guy pitched poorly in his first three outings in Louisville. However, look at his stats for his last 7 appearances:

7 IP, 2 H, 0 ER

I know people dislike him because he brings back bad feelings about the trade. However, I think he is a better option than Coffey at this point. I say bring Majewski up and option Coffey to AAA to work on locating his fastball and throwing a breaking ball for strikes.

Caveman Techie
05-21-2007, 08:13 AM
I wouldn't mind seeing that happen. Something is wrong with Coffey and he needs to get it worked out, thats hard to do on the big club.

Redsnake
05-21-2007, 08:20 AM
My hands over my eyes peeking through my fingers watching Coffey is giving old. I would love to see Majewski come up!!

AdamDunn
05-21-2007, 12:20 PM
Don't send coffey down! His confidence could be ruined... put him in easy situations for now. But yes, bring up majewski.

Caveman Techie
05-21-2007, 12:24 PM
I think his confidence is already gone. They need to get him regular work and get the problem figured out. You can't do that enough with made to order situations in the majors, thats what AAA is for. I am a Coffey fan and I want to see him do well, but right now whenever I see him comming in to the game I cringe.

44Magnum
05-21-2007, 12:25 PM
I agree that it's time for Majewski to get another shot. He couldn't be any worse than some of the others.

durl
05-21-2007, 01:59 PM
I just don't see how sending down a young player who's having problems playing at the big-league level shatters their confidence.

At some point, these guys have got to realize that teams are spending TONS of cash on them and there's always another player ready to take their place. Professional sports is no place for someone with little confidence.

captainmorgan07
05-21-2007, 02:32 PM
i agree bring him up but the next tough choice is who whould krivsky send down can't be burton or he goes back to the A's salmon pitching well as of late my choice would be santos lately he hasn't been very good

HumnHilghtFreel
05-21-2007, 02:43 PM
Don't send coffey down! His confidence could be ruined... put him in easy situations for now. But yes, bring up majewski.

There's no reason in my eyes to have Coffey taking up a roster spot as the designated "easy situation pitcher."

I'd like to see him sent to AAA and take over the closers role. A high-pressure roster spot, but on a lower scale. I think it could do him some good, and if not, what do you lose... other than some games for the Bats.

reds1869
05-21-2007, 03:48 PM
Coffey could use some time in AAA to work out the kinks. He can be a solid big league reliever, but trotting him out there to get shelled is not the way to bring about postitive change. I think a stint with teh Bats wopuld only help him...he doesn't seem like the type of guy to have his confidence shattered by a trip down.

44Magnum
05-21-2007, 04:43 PM
I agree with Coffey to the minors way of thinking. If he can't deal with it mentally, then he doesn't have the make-up to be a big league pitcher.

pahster
05-21-2007, 07:03 PM
I would think that Majewski would be with the Reds if he was 100%. The fact that he isn't leads me to believe that he's not entirely healthy (which really isn't that surprising). Even if he was, it's not like he projects to be The Savior, anyway.

Betterread
05-21-2007, 07:30 PM
What's his velocity? If its down by 5 mph at this point of the year, that's not a good sign of his arm's fitness.

HokieRed
05-21-2007, 10:12 PM
Looks to me like Majewski's demonstrated he's ready to go. Santos was the reason they won tonight so I don't see sending him down. Coffey's the one who needs the work that he can get at AAA. This problem's going to have to be faced again with Bray and then maybe again with Guardado.

captainmorgan07
05-21-2007, 10:16 PM
it's gonna be some tough calls for WK who goes down when majewski is called up and when bray and everday eddie are ready

DTCromer
05-21-2007, 10:22 PM
it's gonna be some tough calls for WK who goes down when majewski is called up and when bray and everday eddie are ready

WK would prove a lot to me if he sucks up his pride and cuts Stanton when Bray comes back.

As far as a Majewski, I would send down Salmon (I think he's still up here, if not. . .my mistake.) It's almost a no-brainer at this point. I know we want to see what BS has, but you don't send down Coffey. . . you need to re-gain his confidence up here and you're not going to do it in Louisville.

Dracodave
05-21-2007, 10:24 PM
I feel if they're going to call up Majewski, aim for Stanton, then move down the list of fodder to remove.

However, I'd rather call up and see McBeth...

pahster
05-21-2007, 10:29 PM
I feel if they're going to call up Majewski, aim for Stanton, then move down the list of fodder to remove.

However, I'd rather call up and see McBeth...

If you'd been at the games (all two of them) he was up for and were sitting near the bullpen, I bet you could've seen him. You know, eating some seeds, getting a drink from the water cooler, maybe even having a short conversation with the bullpen catcher.

Dracodave
05-21-2007, 10:33 PM
If you'd been at the games (all two of them) he was up for and were sitting near the bullpen, I bet you could've seen him. You know, eating some seeds, getting a drink from the water cooler, maybe even having a short conversation with the bullpen catcher.

Well, you know..that would rock and all. However, maybe he could also slap the big-leauge resin for the first time as well? Instead of "This is what a major league bullpen looks like..now you're not worthy..! You know you're a mess.."

pahster
05-21-2007, 10:41 PM
Well, you know..that would rock and all. However, maybe he could also slap the big-leauge resin for the first time as well? Instead of "This is what a major league bullpen looks like..now you're not worthy..! You know you're a mess.."

I didn't think anyone under the age of 35 was allowed on the mound. :p:

Dracodave
05-21-2007, 10:46 PM
I didn't think anyone under the age of 35 was allowed on the mound. :p:

If you use inverse ages... McBeth is 72..maybe too old?

pahster
05-21-2007, 10:47 PM
If you use inverse ages... McBeth is 72..maybe too old?

Not if he has a young body!

Dracodave
05-21-2007, 10:51 PM
Not if he has a young body!

Conine-esque actually..

sonny
05-22-2007, 12:08 AM
The Bullpen hasnt ben half bad the past 5-6 games, I think the emergence of the Cout may have Stanton sweating a bit, and that is good, my friends. He just may pick up his game a bit. I would like to see Majeski up here though.

Slyder
05-22-2007, 11:11 AM
i agree bring him up but the next tough choice is who whould krivsky send down can't be burton or he goes back to the A's salmon pitching well as of late my choice would be santos lately he hasn't been very good

Coffey probably wouldnt hurt to get some time in AAA, but... he's got youth on his side. Stanton's who I'd send packing.

Even with a decent run of late that whip is still 1.71 (significantly higher than Santos).

He turns 40 in June, so very little future value.

Has an ERA of 8.10 in May. A WHIP of 2.55.

Bray and Majewski are coming back soon so we dont really "need" a fourth lefty.

Couter has out pitched Stanton so far.

Burton can't be sent out without being offered back to Oakland.

Stanton's only saving grace maybe the organization may want to get Todd Coffey out of the biggest spotlight of them all and working at AAA, meanwhile buying Stanton some time.

bounty37h
05-22-2007, 12:09 PM

He had 4 pretty good innings yesterday....

pahster
05-22-2007, 12:35 PM
He had 4 pretty good innings yesterday....

True, but how much can you count on from Santos? He's never been particularly good. Of course, Majewski looks like he's always been pretty lucky and can't go for as many innings as a time as Santos.

fearofpopvol1
05-22-2007, 12:56 PM
True, but how much can you count on from Santos? He's never been particularly good. Of course, Majewski looks like he's always been pretty lucky and can't go for as many innings as a time as Santos.

With Saarloos going to the rotation (for now), Santos is the only long reliever the Reds have. While he doesn't have good career numbers, he's pitched quite well this season. His ERA is 3.60 in 25 innings of work only giving up 22 hits. He's not going anywhere (at least right now).

pahster
05-22-2007, 01:09 PM
With Saarloos going to the rotation (for now), Santos is the only long reliever the Reds have. While he doesn't have good career numbers, he's pitched quite well this season. His ERA is 3.60 in 25 innings of work only giving up 22 hits. He's not going anywhere (at least right now).

I think he's safe for now. He may even last the entire year, assuming that Belile and Saarloohs stay in the rotation for the rest of the year. But don't fool yourself; it's highly unlikely that he has magically transformed himself into a decent pitcher. Relievers are volatile, though. He could conceivably remain lucky for the entire year. A WHIP of 1.44 doesn't exactly inspire a great deal of confidence. Also...

On-base against - .343
Slugging against - .461
OPS against - .804

Meh.

Dracodave
05-22-2007, 03:08 PM
I think he's safe for now. He may even last the entire year, assuming that Belile and Saarloohs stay in the rotation for the rest of the year. But don't fool yourself; it's highly unlikely that he has magically transformed himself into a decent pitcher. Relievers are volatile, though. He could conceivably remain lucky for the entire year. A WHIP of 1.44 doesn't exactly inspire a great deal of confidence. Also...

On-base against - .343
Slugging against - .461
OPS against - .804

Meh.

But you can limit that if he's a reliever. If he starts to swagger, taking him out isn't nearly as bad as if he's a starter. He gets hit fast in relief pull the plug, call on the next guy. He gets hit fast as a starter and you're stuck with a pitcher who can get lit up again (Milton-esque) for another 4-5 innings.

pahster
05-22-2007, 04:46 PM
But you can limit that if he's a reliever. If he starts to swagger, taking him out isn't nearly as bad as if he's a starter. He gets hit fast in relief pull the plug, call on the next guy. He gets hit fast as a starter and you're stuck with a pitcher who can get lit up again (Milton-esque) for another 4-5 innings.

True. But ideally, you don't want anyone who gets hit that hard on your staff. So I guess the best case scenario would be for Saarloos to be the long man. For that to happen, someone from AAA is gonna have to succeed in the majors, and Lohse and Belisle must continue to pitch effectively.

JLB5
05-22-2007, 05:08 PM
True. But ideally, you don't want anyone who gets hit that hard on your staff. So I guess the best case scenario would be for Saarloos to be the long man. For that to happen, someone from AAA is gonna have to succeed in the majors, and Lohse and Belisle must continue to pitch effectively.

I agree. Eventually those numbers catch up with a guy. So far he is managing to spread the walks and hits around, sooner or later they will come in bunches. He and Saarloos both essentially are there for the same role (innings eater/spot starter) and only one is needed on this team.

Dracodave
05-22-2007, 08:27 PM
I agree. Eventually those numbers catch up with a guy. So far he is managing to spread the walks and hits around, sooner or later they will come in bunches. He and Saarloos both essentially are there for the same role (innings eater/spot starter) and only one is needed on this team.

Thats where my last statement was heading. You're picking a unnamed hidden poison. Over-time, the poison reveal's itself and eventual syptoms arrive. Now you have to find a cure but another substance just as hidden and just as lethal isn't it. Saarloos and Santos are one in the same. One is the Creaulity and the other is the Beast, so to speak. You have a tendency to know one will hurt you while the other has a tendency to mask it for awhile, which is which...we'll never know till the time happens.

bucksfan2
05-23-2007, 09:22 AM
What irritates me about this reds bullpen is as bas as it has been Krivsky has been resilant to making the moves to make it better. Coffey needs to go down to AAA to learn how to pitch. He has stuff but can combine it together in order to be a good reliever. Stanton needs to go pronto. He is taking up the roster spot of someone who could help the reds more than he can.

eastkyred
05-23-2007, 12:40 PM
At the very least I would start using Salmon and Burton in more meaningful situations, instead of Coffey and Stanton. Narron has obviously fallen in love with Cout, and for good reason, he's pitched well. I would, for now, use Cout, Burton, and Salmon in 7th and 8th inning situation where the game is on the line. That being said, I would not use any of them 4 times in 5 days, pitching at least an inning in all 4 appearances like he did with Cout last night. All 3 are young and look good, but putting Cout in a situation like last night and leaving him in when it was obvious he was not himself is a great way to break a rookie's confidence.

JLB5
05-23-2007, 02:33 PM
At the very least I would start using Salmon and Burton in more meaningful situations, instead of Coffey and Stanton. Narron has obviously fallen in love with Cout, and for good reason, he's pitched well. I would, for now, use Cout, Burton, and Salmon in 7th and 8th inning situation where the game is on the line. That being said, I would not use any of them 4 times in 5 days, pitching at least an inning in all 4 appearances like he did with Cout last night. All 3 are young and look good, but putting Cout in a situation like last night and leaving him in when it was obvious he was not himself is a great way to break a rookie's confidence.

I totally agree with you there. Stanton and Coffey aren't getting it done, so give these kids a chance knowing they will blow a few (at least until Majewski and Bray come up). But his (ab)use of Coutlangus over the past few games is a bit unsettling. It was obvious he was struggling last night and there was no reason to leave him in there without his best stuff in that situation. Also they needed a K badly, why not bring in one of the high K/9 guys. In Narron's defense, it is hard to manage the pen when your starter can't make it past the 2nd in 2 of 4 games.

JLB5
05-23-2007, 04:58 PM
Bob Hunter column from Columbus Dispatch (http://columbusdispatch.com/dispatch/content/sports/stories/2007/05/23/hunter0523.ART_ART_05-23-07_C1_LN6Q0L3.html) cited in C. Trent's blog:

It almost seems like a work of fiction now.

Last summer, the Cincinnati Reds were so close to making a run at the playoffs that they engineered a blockbuster trade with the Washington Nationals to get the proven relief pitching that could have been the final piece in a championship puzzle. In a deal that invoked loud howls in Cincinnati, the Reds sent regulars Austin Kearns and Felipe Lopez and former first-round pick Ryan Wagner to the Nationals for relievers Gary Majewski and Bill Bray, veteran infielder Royce Clayton and a couple of minor leaguers.

Yesterday, Majewski was in Columbus with the triple-A Louisville Bats and the Reds are in last place in the National League Central, still desperate for the quality relief that the trade was supposed to bring.

But here's the shocker: The best news for the Reds yesterday wasn't Homer Bailey's 5 1/3 innings of one-hit ball in the Bats' 6-5 win over the Clippers but rather Majewski's 1 1/3 innings of zeroes in relief.

"I'm back to normal," Majewski said.

Majewski looked so much like the guy the Reds thought they had traded for, throwing fastballs in the low 90s and striking out two, that it suddenly seemed plausible that this nasty little Cincinnati tale might have a happy ending.

Majewski's performance followed a 1 2/3 -inning, no-hit, four-strikeout performance Sunday against the Clippers and two previous one-inning, no-run efforts after a 10-day bereavement absence because of the death of his 19-year-old sister in an ATV accident.

Cont.