PDA

View Full Version : Rumor about Narron being fired

BigRedSmokey
05-21-2007, 12:03 PM
I was listening to the Tony Bruno show(don't ask, lol) and he had somebody on, don't know who, that said there was a rumor going around that Narron would be fired and that Joe Girardi would be hired.

Now, this was a rumor and I have no idea if it has any validity. I'm sorry that I didn't get the guys name as I wasn't paying attention until I heard them talking about the Reds. But was wondering if anyone else heard this or is hearing this anywhere else?

Again, this was just a RUMOR. I was wondering if anyone had heard anything about this or if it was just ridiculous.

Screwball
05-21-2007, 12:05 PM
Sounds like that caller has been reading/listening to Lance McAlister a little too much.

rotnoid
05-21-2007, 12:07 PM
Girardi's most likely waiting for Torre to get the ax in the Bronx. I'm not sure he's the kind of guy Castellini wants around anyway. He's got a history of bucking against management. That being said, I once heard Steve Stone refer to him as the fastest catcher in baseball, for whatever that's worth.

hebroncougar
05-21-2007, 12:09 PM
Girardi's most likely waiting for Torre to get the ax in the Bronx. I'm not sure he's the kind of guy Castellini wants around anyway. He's got a history of bucking against management. That being said, I once heard Steve Stone refer to him as the fastest catcher in baseball, for whatever that's worth.

I don't think Girardi has much of a shot in NY. He's too young for the heavily laden veteran team. Mr. Donny Baseball is the next manager there IMO.

BigRedSmokey
05-21-2007, 12:10 PM
Has McAllister been saying this?

I wish I had paid closer attention to the start of the interview. I believe it was a writer or someone like that, not just a caller. But, if McAllister has been saying that then that might be where they got the rumor from.

I haven't seen anything on the web about it so I guess it is probably just blather, but wondered if anyone else had heard anything similar. Didn't know about McAllister talking about it.

Thanks for the info, screwball.

rotnoid
05-21-2007, 12:13 PM
Has McAllister been saying this?

I wish I had paid closer attention to the start of the interview. I believe it was a writer or someone like that, not just a caller. But, if McAllister has been saying that then that might be where they got the rumor from.

I haven't seen anything on the web about it so I guess it is probably just blather, but wondered if anyone else had heard anything similar. Didn't know about McAllister talking about it.

Thanks for the info, screwball.

McAllister hasn't been saying it as though it would happen. He's been bringing it up more like he wishes it would happen. I can see where through the channels this can be misconstrued, but I don't recall Lance saying on the air or on his blog anything that sounded remotely like it was going to happen.

Screwball
05-21-2007, 12:16 PM
McAllister hasn't been saying it as though it would happen. He's been bringing it up more like he wishes it would happen. I can see where through the channels this can be misconstrued, but I don't recall Lance saying on the air or on his blog anything that sounded remotely like it was going to happen.

While it's true he never said it would happen, McAlister has been talking about it pretty hard-core on his blog and on his daily show. He especially hints at it under his "Things I'm Told" heading. That is how rumors get started, which is what BigSmokey was referring to.

berryluther
05-21-2007, 12:29 PM
This team is under achieving. They are more talented that 17-27. I think that Narrons refusal to give the young guys in the pen a chance and relying on washed up pitchers like Stanton and Cormier have hurt this team considerably. I think the players like him but I doubt that they respect him.

I would love for Girardi to be the manager, not because of what he did in Florida, but the track record of good catchers becoming good managers. My fear is we hire him and then the Yankees job opens up and he runs out of town. Then we are stuck with a retread or another manager like Miley or Narron.

We need someone that is willing to give pitchers like Salmon and McBeth a chance to work some innings.

IMO there are 4 players on the roster that needs to go: Cormier, Stanton, Conine and Hatteburg. They are all old and under performing. This team needs an infusion of new blood a taste of the future so to speak.

The season is over minus a record turnaround and this team I believe isnt capable of running of a 25-10 stretch which is close to what it would take to get back in this thing before the deadline.

Anyways I hope the rumor is true, the timing is perfect for a change in leadership. We have the Nats and Pirates for the next 8 games. I nice easy start for a new manager.

44Magnum
05-21-2007, 01:33 PM
I could live with Girardi over Narron.

Degenerate39
05-21-2007, 01:38 PM
Unfortunetly Narron's job is safe for now.

redlegs7089
05-21-2007, 01:38 PM
god i hope this rumor is correct

hebroncougar
05-21-2007, 01:42 PM
This team is under achieving. They are more talented that 17-27. I think that Narrons refusal to give the young guys in the pen a chance and relying on washed up pitchers like Stanton and Cormier have hurt this team considerably. I think the players like him but I doubt that they respect him.

I would love for Girardi to be the manager, not because of what he did in Florida, but the track record of good catchers becoming good managers. My fear is we hire him and then the Yankees job opens up and he runs out of town. Then we are stuck with a retread or another manager like Miley or Narron.

We need someone that is willing to give pitchers like Salmon and McBeth a chance to work some innings.

IMO there are 4 players on the roster that needs to go: Cormier, Stanton, Conine and Hatteburg. They are all old and under performing. This team needs an infusion of new blood a taste of the future so to speak.

The season is over minus a record turnaround and this team I believe isnt capable of running of a 25-10 stretch which is close to what it would take to get back in this thing before the deadline.

Anyways I hope the rumor is true, the timing is perfect for a change in leadership. We have the Nats and Pirates for the next 8 games. I nice easy start for a new manager.

I'm really beginning to wonder if that is true. I used to think they were for sure, now I'm on the fence. This week will tell the tale for me. If they can't beat Wash and Pitts. up, then they have no talent. No manager in the world should keep you from beating up on those two.

Gary Redus
05-21-2007, 02:08 PM
Agree about the geratol gang .... no use having them around. There are younger and cheaper options.

butlerbulldogs
05-21-2007, 05:14 PM

Cormier hasn't been on the team for the past half month, you really follow the reds and should be making decisions ...and it is Hatteberg!!

captainmorgan07
05-21-2007, 05:16 PM

why in the heck do u wanna send out hatteberg he's hitting close to .300 and is consistent contact guy he and conine are providing a good platoon untill votto is here and ready stanton has pitched decent in his last 2 or 3 outting and cormier is long gone

REDblooded
05-21-2007, 05:27 PM
One thing that leaps out at me with any Girardi to the Yankees argument, is the fact that the Yankees team as it is right now, really doesn't match his coaching style. Last year he had great success by playing small ball, being aggressive on the basepaths, and getting good pitching. Not exactly the formula he'd be handed with the current Yankees roster. The Reds on the other hand, would fit that bill perfectly........ok, maybe not terrific pitching, but it's not bad.

One worry, and just one, cause I'd be happy enough to possibly buy a ticket or two if he was hired, is that I'm not sure how good Girardi is with managing a bullpen.............if I remember correctly, their bullpen numbers were even worse than the reds last season. I'm sure part of that had something to do with the arms in the Marlins pen........but it's not like he'd be handed a massive upgrade here in Cinci.

George Anderson
05-22-2007, 12:26 AM
Well if the Yankees fire Torre why not offer Torre a job in the Queen City?? I dont get the impression he is ready to hang it up.

sonny
05-22-2007, 03:36 AM
One thing that leaps out at me with any Girardi to the Yankees argument, is the fact that the Yankees team as it is right now, really doesn't match his coaching style. Last year he had great success by playing small ball, being aggressive on the basepaths, and getting good pitching. Not exactly the formula he'd be handed with the current Yankees roster.

Girardi used to be teamates with a lot of the guys in the Yanks dugout. It would be pretty difficult to be a hard butt to your peers without a mutiny.

BurgervilleBuck
05-22-2007, 07:32 AM
Girardi used to be teamates with a lot of the guys in the Yanks dugout. It would be pretty difficult to be a hard butt to your peers without a mutiny.
Agreed. Coach is supposed to be coach, not your buddy. The Detroit Red Wings experienced this a few years ago when the legendary Scotty Bowman hung up the coaching whip. Assistant coach Dave Lewis, the one the players went to when Bowman was driving them insane, the good cop to Scotty's bad cop, became the head coach and the players almost automatically tuned him out. One can almost imagine him telling Brett Hull to be more aggressive on the forecheck and Hull just chuckling and rubbing Lewis' head.

44Magnum
05-22-2007, 08:52 AM
Why would Girardi even consider the Yankees if there is a possibility of the Reds job opening up?