PDA

View Full Version : 44 Games -- The "Magic Number"

peterose00
05-21-2007, 07:37 PM
The Reds completed 44 games yesterday -- with a record of 17 - 27. What is so significant about that point in time during this season?

Back when then Reds manager Tony Perez was unceremoniously dumped by Jim Bowden -- the club had just finished 44 games into the season. At that time, the criticism leveled at Bowden was that perez was not given a fair shot -- by being dismissed so early into the year.

Now, at that exact same point in time -- Jerry Narron's future is one of the club's most fervent topics of discussion.

The fact that the club has crossed this "milestone" might mean that Krivsky and Castellini were getting closer to realistically reassessing Narron's future.

keeganbrick
05-21-2007, 07:44 PM
Thought it had to do with a certain hitting streak that is getting approached. Man Im gonna miss the game threads.

pahster
05-21-2007, 07:49 PM
I'd argue that a fundamental difference exists between Tony Perez and Jerry Narron. At the time that he was fired, Perez had only managed those 44 games. Narron, on the other hand, has a larger body work to draw conclusions from. He has managed 595 games, 551 more than Perez. Thats gotta be a large enough sample to draw solid inferences from regarding his managerial abilities and tendencies.

peterose00
05-21-2007, 07:52 PM
I'd argue that a fundamental difference exists between Tony Perez and Jerry Narron. At the time that he was fired, Perez had only managed those 44 games. Narron, on the other hand, has a larger body work to draw conclusions from. He has managed 595 games, 551 more than Perez. Thats gotta be a large enough sample to draw solid inferences from regarding his managerial abilities and tendencies.

Good point

rotnoid
05-21-2007, 10:37 PM
And in those 595 games, he's had exactly zero winning seasons. I've stated this in other threads, though, it's not time to fire Narron. We'd only be setting ourselves up for 2 and half years of Bucky Dent. I don't think anyone honestly wants that.

44Magnum
05-22-2007, 09:49 AM
If the Reds don't do some damage during this home-stand, then I believe Narron is toast.