PDA

View Full Version : How announcers call HR's?

Jim Fazio
05-22-2007, 06:47 PM
I always wondered this. How do play by play announcers know that a ball is going out of the park or not on potential HR calls? Like when Marty does it, he has that certain momentum in his voice that he knows it's going out.

reds1869
05-22-2007, 10:16 PM
If you watch a lot of live baseball you get very good at tracking trajectory. To be honest with you my gut feeling on flight path is right about 90% of the time when watching a game in person. I would imagine that someone who has seen many more games and knows the game better than I do would be even better at it.

REDblooded
05-22-2007, 11:17 PM
I always wondered this. How do play by play announcers know that a ball is going out of the park or not on potential HR calls? Like when Marty does it, he has that certain momentum in his voice that he knows it's going out.

It's really quite simple. You just look at the name on the back of the pitchers uniform. Milton? Stanton? ball obviously out of the infield? THIS ONE'S WAY BACK, DUNN'S LOOKING.............GOOOOOOONE!

butlerbulldogs
05-23-2007, 09:22 AM
I can tell most of the time, tHom messed up the other night against the nats in the seventh on PHillips fly out...most of our "baseball" town gets it wrong on every flyball at the game, it seems like at GABP

Redskinalum02
05-23-2007, 09:29 AM
I can tell most of the time, tHom messed up the other night against the nats in the seventh on PHillips fly out...most of our "baseball" town gets it wrong on every flyball at the game, it seems like at GABP

That's true everywhere on every routine fly ball.

cinredsfan2000
05-23-2007, 09:45 AM
Well i cant speak for you guys/gals but here in upstate N.Y. were blessed with yankee games on the radio.:rolleyes: and im here to tell ya i want to push sharp things into my eardrums everytime i here the yankees anouncers John Sterling and/or Michael Kay (Not sure which one it was )with that"Another AAAAA-BomBBBB for A-RODDDD" call :bang::bang::bang::bang::help::bash::bash::barf::b arf:

hebroncougar
05-23-2007, 10:25 AM
Alot of times you can tell by the reaction of the outfielder.

George Anderson
05-23-2007, 10:38 AM
Alot of times you can tell by the reaction of the outfielder.

Exactly!!! All you have to do is watch the outfielders reaction to see if it is a potential home run or not. You will look like a knowledgeable fan and not so silly jumping up and down in excitement over what you perceive as being a home run, when instead its a routine fly ball out.

WMR
05-23-2007, 01:21 PM
What's amazing to me is how poor of a judge of fly balls George Grande STILL is after all these years.

Not to mention he has, IMO, the worst and most annoying HR call that I've ever heard (ack, make that 2nd most annoying after Chris Berman's back back back back back back backkkkk GONE): It's gonna BEEEEEEE Gone! :lol:

hebroncougar
05-23-2007, 02:08 PM
What's amazing to me is how poor of a judge of fly balls George Grande STILL is after all these years.

Not to mention he has, IMO, the worst and most annoying HR call that I've ever heard (ack, make that 2nd most annoying after Chris Berman's back back back back back back backkkkk GONE): It's gonna BEEEEEEE Gone! :lol:

It'll stay in the park....................

Ludwig Reds Fan
05-23-2007, 05:27 PM

Heck thats nothing... Thom called it "Reds-Marlins" either last night or the night before. :D

44Magnum
05-24-2007, 01:23 PM
I don't mind a decent home run call, but when you can tell that the announcer is trying to get on ESPN's Top Ten, that's where I draw the line.
It was nice to hear Nuxy's call of Jr's HR the other night.

Doro
05-24-2007, 09:06 PM
like other posts state if you watch enough baseball you can tell by the look of the swing, sound of contact, trjectory of the ball.