PDA

View Full Version : Guardado set to pitch

WVPacman
05-27-2007, 12:20 AM
Closer's first rehab assignment is scheduled for Monday at Dayton

Get your tickets for the Dayton Dragons on Monday. Oops, they're already sold out, aren't they?

Anyway, Eddie Guardado, the Reds' closer-in-waiting, is scheduled to make his first rehab appearance Monday for the Single-A Dragons.

Guardado, 36, a left-hander, is trying to come back from "Tommy John" elbow surgery.
ADVERTISEMENT

He threw to hitters Friday.

"Everything felt good," he said. "I had a good curveball again. I'm surprised I have that pitch."

Apparently, the elbow surgery has resulted in the better curveball for Guardado.

"I always had one, but I didn't throw it much," he said. "When I did, it would get banged off the wall or it wouldn't be a strike. Now, I'm really snapping it off."

Guardado will be on a 20-pitch limit for his outing Monday. He'll start an inning.

"Hopefully, I don't need 20 pitches," he said. "If I do, you'll see I'm working on stuff."

Guardado is eligible to come off the disabled list May 31. He might be close to that date.

Guardado converted eight of nine saves after the July 6 trade last year that sent him from the Seattle Mariners to the Reds.

With him in the closer role, David Weathers can go back to pitching the eighth inning.

"We're not counting on Eddie until he comes back," Reds manager Jerry Narron said. "But the bullpen sets up a lot better (with him)."

redsupport
05-27-2007, 12:51 AM
yeah jerry the rest of the leak is quaking awaiting the return of eddie guardado ,. after you finsih using him in the second inning, the opponents will be quite fearful

harangatang
05-28-2007, 12:53 AM
Guardado in the past has seemed like the type to rush things. When I saw the words "rehab", "curveball", and "Tommy John Surgery" in this article it makes me wonder if things are moving along a little too fast. The Reds aren't in things right now so there's no reason to rush him along.