PDA

View Full Version : A Historically bad Homestand...

coachw513
05-27-2007, 11:12 AM
I'm not able to find this, but if we happen to finish this homestand 1-7 or even 2-6, both based on record BUT ALSO based on the caliber of opponent (and their winning %), this HAS to go down as one of the worst homestand in Reds' history...

Congratulations are in order :beerme:

Seriously, as a coach I'm always fascinated/intrigued by the psychology of sports within the MAJOR LEAGUE lockerroom...as much as things are certainly differerent due to the salaries, the massive talent AND massive egos, I'm even more convinced things are the same as a college or even a high school clubhouse...synergy is real and just as a winning combination/atmosphere breeds more winning it appears that losing has beget much more losing...

As you read quotes on a daily basis it's apparent that even the veterans on this team have gotten the "deer in the headlights" feeling...no one can understand it, they all are wallowing around in it and unfortunately I don't see a collection of dynamic personalities capable of pulling them out of it...

I don't blame Narron but we're getting periously close (if we aren't already there) to needing to make a change if simply to make a statement that says "We care about being better"...now in reality, will a managerial change make that big a difference???...I doubt it, though I do believe you'd see more wins early on (remember the effect of both Miley and Narron initially-change is good sometimes simply for change sake-but we need more than that certainly!!)...

At some point, management needs to decide when it's time to pull the plug...I wish I was capable of the "half-full" vision and say this can pull out, but IMHO "fighting spirit" has been replaced by "passive resistance"...that group of men has truly begun to feel sorry for itself...of course, the other side of the coin is remembering '99 and the combination of dynamic (Vaughn) and steady (Larkin) leadership that allowed the slow start to be overcome and a pennant chase ensued...I just don't see that happening here...

The 500-pound pink elephant in the room is Dunn...what do the Reds do???...well, I think he's wonderful, I believe there really isn't any statistical debate as to his talent or his contribution to the Reds...but I also think he needs to be traded (but the caveat being a deal better than one similar to the Lopez/Kearns deal)...first, he's our most obvious trade commodity capable of bringing the best return...next, he's about to become our newest financial albatross and this team (despite my rosy-colored lenses) isn't ready to compete...we need to become cheaper, younger and more talented...

Finally, and this is simply opinion...my eyes don't see Dunn being a franchise player...even through the injuries, Griffey is a difference maker at the plate...he changes lineups, he singlehandledly wins games, he has a karma that exudes confidence when he steps to the plate in a late-game big situation (once again, just a sensory observation-how does it feel to me)...but Dunn doesn't bring that to the Reds...his statistics exceed his literal "synergistic" worth to the Reds...it's not that he doesn't get hits with RISP, but for us, for the Reds at the money he's going to earn he needs to become Manny Ramirez, Vlad Guererro, or David Ortiz when he's at the plate...

IMHO, with the right trade (a discussion all to itself regarding WK) Dunn is worth more to us gone than he is to us staying...and I'd be very, very sad to see him go because he's been a very good player for us during a very tough time in this franchise's history...

This season is now about 6 things:
1. Griffey's chase to 600
2. Josh Hamilton and enjoying the story
3. The arrival of Bailey and Votto
4. Encarnacion's development
5. Evaluating the young bullpeners
6. The future of Dunn

And because I have a pathology of trying to stay positive (I'm a coach guys!) I'll say that if those 6 things go the right way, the future is incredibly bright for our franchise, just not today!!