PDA

View Full Version : Castellini doesn't want to win!!

Jim Fazio
05-27-2007, 03:06 PM
The Reds had the perfect chance to turn around their season with 4 against the Nats and 4 with the Pirates and they get smoked at home. You can tell he doesn't want to win, if he did he would make drastic changes. If Narron can't get the Reds to win against these teams at home, how will he ever get them to win. Start the fire sale now, bring up the young kids, make some deals and fire the Mgr now if you want to win in the future. But he won't because they are afraid to move people within the organization.

NorrisHopper30
05-27-2007, 03:19 PM
I'm sure he's trying to lose

RedEye
05-27-2007, 03:20 PM
The Reds had the perfect chance to turn around their season with 4 against the Nats and 4 with the Pirates and they get smoked at home. You can tell he doesn't want to win, if he did he would make drastic changes. If Narron can't get the Reds to win against these teams at home, how will he ever get them to win. Start the fire sale now, bring up the young kids, make some deals and fire the Mgr now if you want to win in the future. But he won't because they are afraid to move people within the organization.

I'm not sure doing any of those things hastily will be good for the future.

nate
05-27-2007, 03:34 PM

I hear he's a lousy tipper too.

BurgervilleBuck
05-27-2007, 03:35 PM
Castellini's good buddy, W, doesn't know how to run a war. Quite apt that Mr. C. doesn't know how to run a ball club.

jimbo
05-27-2007, 03:38 PM
You can tell he doesn't want to win, if he did he would make drastic changes.

With all due respect, that is just a crazy statement.

BurgervilleBuck
05-27-2007, 03:40 PM
With all due respect, that is just a crazy statement.
With all due respect, this is a crazy statement (http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070526/SPT04/705260376/1071/SPT):

"We're much better than we've played," Castellini said. "But the results sure don't show it, do they?"

Strikes Out Looking
05-27-2007, 04:00 PM
I think he wants to win, but he is relying on people who have no clue and he's buying it, hook line and sinker.

cincrazy
05-27-2007, 04:04 PM
Castellini hasn't even been in control of this club for two years. It takes time to rebuild a decimated franchise. Ask John Hart from his early days in Cleveland, and Mark Shapiro currently in Cleveland, and Dave Dombrowski in Detroit, and so on and so on.

RedEye
05-27-2007, 04:06 PM
I think he wants to win, but he is relying on people who have no clue and he's buying it, hook line and sinker.

I wonder if he'll ever stop buying it? I'm also curious whether Reds management has decided to start looking only at the pythag of their W-L record for 2007. This because the phrase "We're better than our record shows" seems to be coming out of their mouths a lot lately. If only they would start looking at some of the other relevant new statistical measurements... like their real W-L record!

nate
05-27-2007, 04:09 PM
Castellini's good buddy, W, doesn't know how to run a war. Quite apt that Mr. C. doesn't know how to run a ball club.

:rolleyes:

George Anderson
05-27-2007, 08:12 PM
Lets see, Lets spend a million plus dollars on a franchise so we can lose!!!!! Right on Daddy O!!!!!! :rolleyes:

Doro
05-27-2007, 08:31 PM
yep I'm sure he likes losing. This sounds like crap on talk radio.

harangatang
05-27-2007, 11:14 PM
With all due respect, this is a crazy statement (http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070526/SPT04/705260376/1071/SPT)

Quote:
"We're much better than we've played," Castellini said. "But the results sure don't show it, do they?"The fact of the matter is the Reds are playing well below where they should be right now. The Pythagoren W-L over the last few days has gotten worse but a few days ago they should've been 22-23 instead of 10 games under .500. Let the Washington Nationals a few years ago be an example when they had a -2 run differential (a .500 Pythagorean W-L record) and were around 10 games above .500. All of a sudden the law of averages kicked in and they fell back down to where they should've been in the first place. So Castellini is right and that statement shows me he may know a little about baseball. That is a promising thing that is different from our last owner.

Ludwig Reds Fan
05-28-2007, 11:21 AM
I ran into Bob yesterday I was like, "Bob! Are you trying to lose or what?"

He was like, "yep. Thats my secret plan. But don't tell anyone. "

/end sarcasm

durl
05-28-2007, 11:33 AM
Bob's a businessman. He knows that knee-jerk reactions in business usually end up costing you in the long run. You've got to think long-term. You have to be able to react quickly to take advantage of opportunities that suddenly arise, but you have to remember your ultimate goal.

Screwball
05-28-2007, 11:35 AM
The fact of the matter is the Reds are playing well below where they should be right now. The Pythagoren W-L over the last few days has gotten worse but a few days ago they should've been 22-23 instead of 10 games under .500. Let the Washington Nationals a few years ago be an example when they had a -2 run differential (a .500 Pythagorean W-L record) and were around 10 games above .500. All of a sudden the law of averages kicked in and they fell back down to where they should've been in the first place. So Castellini is right and that statement shows me he may know a little about baseball. That is a promising thing that is different from our last owner.

Exactly right, harangatang (what a great name, btw). But the Reds fans on here don't really want to hear any of that. Last year, when we were greatly over-achieving, they started threads telling us, "Just wait, the Reds will catch up to their Pythag.! It's a mirage!" But now, when they're grossly under-achieving, it's, "Sometimes your Pythag. catches you!"

I guess when you're mired in a 7 year long drought, a cynical outlook on the Reds is not only to be expected, but probably considered a prudent one as well.

harangatang
05-28-2007, 01:50 PM
Exactly right, harangatang (what a great name, btw). But the Reds fans on here don't really want to hear any of that. Last year, when we were greatly over-achieving, they started threads telling us, "Just wait, the Reds will catch up to their Pythag.! It's a mirage!" But now, when they're grossly under-achieving, it's, "Sometimes your Pythag. catches you!"I wasn't going to even rehash last year but you are absolutely correct. The Reds overachieved, the Cards underacheived (and had major injuries) and all of a sudden people think the Reds are ready for 1990 again since the Cards won the WS last year. The only good thing is it fooled Bronson Arroyo too because he signed the extension due to the Reds being in his mind competitive. Granted, one good starting pitcher with an inept GM does nothing but whenever someone competent takes over at least there will be a good base to hopefully right the ship.

Steve4192
05-28-2007, 03:34 PM
Start the fire sale now, bring up the young kids, make some deals and fire the Mgr now if you want to win in the future. But he won't because they are afraid to move people within the organization.

Please provide me with examples of another team, any other team, at any point in the last 10-20 years, that had a fire sale in MAY. For the life of me, I cannot recall a single one. That either means that (1) MLB history is replete with owners/GM's who don't want to win or (2) you are allowing your knee-jerk reaction to all of the losing cloud your better judgement.

The fact of the matter is, there are no trading partners in May. Nobody wants to deal until July. Until then, I would advise you to step away from the ledge, start taking your meds, and stop watching the Reds if the losing is getting you too worked up.