PDA

View Full Version : Win This One for Freel

captainmorgan07
05-28-2007, 01:56 PM
win this one for a guy who gives us 110% everyday and in true Ryan Freel fashion he held on to the ball. Our prayers are with ya buddy get back fast

Degenerate39
05-28-2007, 01:57 PM
I hope he's alright

Shaggy Sanchez
05-28-2007, 02:01 PM
win this one for a guy who gives us 110% everyday and in true Ryan Freel fashion he held on to the ball. Our prayers are with ya buddy get back fast

I don't think he did hold onto the ball, if you watch close it looks like Hopper puts the ball back into Freel's glove when he gets over to him.

TeamMorris
05-28-2007, 02:02 PM
Just awful! Brought tears to my eyes! I just hope it's not as bad as it looked! Prayers with him & his family!

captainmorgan07
05-28-2007, 02:05 PM
I don't think he did hold onto the ball, if you watch close it looks like Hopper puts the ball back into Freel's glove when he gets over to him.

if hopper did do that that's the slickest move i've seen in awhile heads up play by hopper to make a terrible situation not be much worse as cota woulda scored

jimbo
05-28-2007, 02:08 PM

I don't see how that could have happened being that the umpire was running towards the play and would have had to seen something like that happen.

BearcatShane
05-28-2007, 02:09 PM
if hopper did do that that's the slickest move i've seen in awhile heads up play by hopper to make a terrible situation not be much worse as cota woulda scored

If he did do it he probably didn't do it just to make it look like Freel caught it. He's not stupid, you can look at replays to see who caught the ball. He probably just did it for a momento or something.

Screwball
05-28-2007, 02:10 PM
I don't see how that could have happened being that the umpire was running towards the play and would have had to seen something like that happen.

Yeah I watched every single replay as close as I possibly could and didn't see anything close to Hopper putting the ball in Freel's glove. I did, however, notice the ump sprinting over to Freel to see if he had caught the ball (and probably to then see if he was OK).

EDIT: After just watching it again, I can see how it might've looked like Hopper was putting the ball back in Freel's glove. But you definitely couldn't see the ball and it looked like he was just moving the glove to get a look at Freel's face.

captainmorgan07
05-28-2007, 02:23 PM
freel update he is at good samaritian in cincy getting head and neck scans was awake and alert and had full range of motion during transportation

Ludwig Reds Fan
05-28-2007, 02:30 PM
thx for the update, cptn... lets all keep our fingers crossed.

Screwball
05-28-2007, 03:08 PM

After watching the plays EE and Gonzo just made, it looks as though they listened. :beerme:

IrishDavidKY
05-28-2007, 03:15 PM
Very scary incident! Good news that he's able to move his arms and legs etc.

jimbo
05-28-2007, 03:25 PM

After watching the replay again, I think you may be right. It is pretty obvious that Hopper put something that was on the ground into Freel's glove and the umpire looked to be shielded by Hopper. Slick move.

Razor Shines
05-28-2007, 03:26 PM

I just saw the replay. Hopper most certainly did put the ball back in his glove, it was very slick. Right after he did it the umpire got there and asked Hopper a question and then Hopper opened Freel's glove and the ump looked in and saw the ball. It was very smooth.

captainmorgan07
05-28-2007, 03:26 PM
i just watched it again and i saw the same thing hoppers left hand makes a motion towards freels glove the umpire was shielded

Shaggy Sanchez
05-28-2007, 03:30 PM
I knew I wasn't crazy when I saw it earlier and after seeing the replay again I all but certain that he was putting the ball into Freel's glove. Very smooth move to block the ump and get the ball into the glove.

jimbo
05-28-2007, 03:32 PM
It saved a run.

Screwball
05-28-2007, 03:34 PM
I just saw the replay. Hopper most certainly did put the ball back in his glove, it was very slick. Right after he did it the umpire got there and asked Hopper a question and then Hopper opened Freel's glove and the ump looked in and saw the ball. It was very smooth.

Well like I said above you couldn't see the ball in the replay after Freel hit the ground. He might've moved the ball further into Freel's glove, but I don't think he moved it from the ground into his glove. At least, it didn't look that way to me.

Razor Shines
05-28-2007, 03:36 PM
Well like I said above you couldn't see the ball in the replay after Freel hit the ground. He might've moved the ball further into Freel's glove, but I don't think he moved it from the ground into his glove. At least, it didn't look that way to me.

It's pretty clear to me that he moved it from the ground into his glove. If you don't see it that way then fine, but it looks like whatever he moved he moved it from the ground to his glove.

mbgrayson
05-28-2007, 03:38 PM
They did pick it up and win it for Ryan! Sweet game; good offense, good pitching, and great defense!

Boy do those end of game fireworks sound good!

nate
05-28-2007, 03:45 PM
I'm pretty sure the runner was called out by the time that happened. Hopper was slightly stunned and didn't get over to Freel for a few seconds.

kaldaniels
05-28-2007, 03:51 PM
FYI...the play is on the main page of drudgereport.com. I'd say less than 10 sports storys a year find their way onto that site. Prayers to Freel.

Screwball
05-28-2007, 03:53 PM
It's pretty clear to me that he moved it from the ground into his glove. If you don't see it that way then fine, but it looks like whatever he moved he moved it from the ground to his glove.

Quite an assumption to make when not once do you see the ball.

Razor Shines
05-28-2007, 03:58 PM

I guess he could have been picking up dirt and putting it in Freel's glove just to mess with him. Not sure why he would do that though.

Screwball
05-28-2007, 04:09 PM
I guess he could have been picking up dirt and putting it in Freel's glove just to mess with him. Not sure why he would do that though.

Or the ball was already in his glove and he was just checking to make sure. Hopper barely touched Freel's glove for an instant and then let go. But hey, if you want to believe he took the time to move the ball a foot across the dirt and then lay it in Freel's already closed glove without the umpire, who's staring at the players, seeing it, then go ahead.

jimbo
05-28-2007, 04:10 PM

What else do you think he could have been putting in his glove? I doubt it was Farney. Of course nobody can say for exact certainty it was the ball unless Hopper says something, but judging from the replay it is definitely a safe assumption.

jimbo
05-28-2007, 04:12 PM
Or the ball was already in his glove and he was just checking to make sure.

He went to the ground first, and then to the glove. This is fact because you can see in on the replay. And the umpire was running up on the situation and was behind Hopper.

harangatang
05-28-2007, 04:22 PM
In a twist of irony Humberto Cota had to be at bat when the play happened. Cota collided with Sean Casey at first base that was ultimately Casey's last moment with the Reds on the field before he was traded. Hopefully this isn't Freel's last play with the Reds. It sounds like he'll be OK but regardless my thoughts and prayers go out to Freel and his family.

Fil3232
05-28-2007, 05:32 PM
I don't think there's any doubt Hopper put the ball in Freel's glove. A heads-up play that was obviously unrecognized because of the seriousness of the situation concerning Freel.

TeamMorris
05-28-2007, 06:20 PM
Honestly, in a situation like this....I could care less who put what in whose glove. Just happy he is OK. As for Ryan, I am sure he really had no idea what was going on at the time one way or another nor really cared.

Most important...glad you are going to be OK Ryan! Scared the heck out of me:beerme:

HumnHilghtFreel
05-28-2007, 06:37 PM
I wasn't around for the game today, but I just saw a replay of it on MLB.com and that looked nasty

I hope he's okay and ready to run into more walls soon:)

Degenerate39
05-28-2007, 07:21 PM

I just saw it he did put the ball in Freel's glove

mole44
05-28-2007, 07:21 PM
I just watched the play on my 50 inch TV...Hopper clearly puts the ball back in his glove. You can see the white of the ball in his hand.

Screwball
05-28-2007, 09:09 PM
He went to the ground first, and then to the glove. This is fact because you can see in on the replay. And the umpire was running up on the situation and was behind Hopper.

A guy called in to 700 wlw after the game. He said he was one of the guys in the first row that had a clear view of everything that happened. Cutler asked him if Freel actually cuaght the ball, and the guy replied right away, "Oh he definitely caught the ball." If Hopper actually took it and placed it in Freel's glove, the guy obviously would have seen it. But, like I said, believe what you want.

Shaggy Sanchez
05-28-2007, 09:18 PM
A guy called in to 700 wlw after the game. He said he was one of the guys in the first row that had a clear view of everything that happened. Cutler asked him if Freel actually cuaght the ball, and the guy replied right away, "Oh he definitely caught the ball." If Hopper actually took it and placed it in Freel's glove, the guy obviously would have seen it. But, like I said, believe what you want.

Well there is another thread here on the sundeck from a guy claiming he was in the front row and Hopper did put the ball in Freel's glove.

Degenerate39
05-28-2007, 10:07 PM

What did he put in Freel's glove then?

Screwball
05-28-2007, 10:27 PM
Alright, I just checked out C. Trent's blog, the "Norris Hopper" thread on Sun Deck, and the replay from ESPN.com's review of the game. It definitely does look like Hopper put something into his glove, and that something is probably the ball. However, you can't actually see the ball, and after slowing down and watching the replay about 10 times I still can't see the ball come out of his glove. I'll admit it's pretty safe to assume that Hopper actually did put the ball back into Freel's glove, and that it was so smooth by NoHo nobody even noticed it until you see the replays.

This is definitely a play that will be talked about by Reds fans for years to come.

bradmu
05-28-2007, 11:50 PM
the Video on ESPN.com of the catch shows it pretty well. I've gotta assume this will be on PTI tomorrow....and talked about on sports shows.

I originally thought it looked pretty clear that he did put it in the glove, but the more I watch it, I'm starting to think Hopper just pushed it in to make sure it didn't fall out. Here's my observations:

1) Hopper's initial action is to tend to Freel. He bends down and his left hand is around his head..then he's in there close and realizes the ball is barely sitting in there and pushes it in.
2) Before he allegedly pushes the ball in Freel's glove, you can see something white already in his glove. Then, Hopper moves his left hand and the white spot gets bigger. He's pushing it down further into his glove.

Of course, this isn't clear cut evidence...but I'm hoping this is what happened. I wonder if Hopper will speak about the play?

WVPacman
05-29-2007, 12:36 AM
I'll have to go watch it closer b/c I did'nt pay no attention if he caught the ball.I was to busy watching freel and seeing if he was alright!! I know I never seen the ball pop out but he was laying torwards the fence so I will have to see later.

JLB5
05-29-2007, 09:59 AM

The caller also said that the first thing out of his mouth when he came to was, "Did I catch it?" That's the Freel we know.

I don't see what the "conspiracy" is with Hopper sliding the ball back into his glove. Freel made the catch and it out should have stood even if the ball rolled out after he went unconscious. He had the ball long enough for it to be a catch. Smart play by Hopper to make sure the ump didn't see it on the ground and make a bad call. :clap: