PDA

View Full Version : Help with trade evaluation

freestyle55
05-29-2007, 04:32 PM
In a standard points league, 12 teams...(10 pts W, 5 pts SV, -5 pts L, 1 pt K, etc...)

Proposed trade:

I get:
Felix Hernandez and Scott Kazmir

I give up:
A.J. Burnett and Bobby Jenks

My current pitchers are:

SP (start 4):
Jake Peavy
John Lackey
Tim Lincecum
A.J. Burnett
Bronson Arroyo
Chad Durbin
(plus Phil Hughes and Josh Johnson on the DL)

RP (start 2):
Bobby Jenks
Jason Isringhausen
Dan Wheeler

I like the deal because Hernandez is (IMO) the best player in the deal, and saves can be picked up if needed (and are random in when they happen)...

I would probably then pick up Jonathan Broxton as my 3rd relief pitcher

Buckeye33
05-29-2007, 04:49 PM
It's a good trade for you. Burnett is an injury waiting to happen and even when he has decent games his walks are high which hurts in a points league.

Jenks is really good, but saves are overratted.

I personally don't like Kazmir, but he is solid in Ks and his ERA isn't horrible. He will have more Ls than Ws. The key will be if Felix can stay healthy the rest of the season and if he does will they allow him to throw more than 90 pitches per start.

With Peavy, Lackey, Linecum and possibly Felix, I do not think that you need Kazmir. Try to upgrade at an offensive position instead of getting Kazmir.

Johnny Footstool
05-29-2007, 05:29 PM
Don't negotiate any further -- you don't want the guy to have second thoughts. Take the deal while you can, then trade Kazmir to someone else.

Buckeye33
05-29-2007, 05:38 PM
Don't negotiate any further -- you don't want the guy to have second thoughts. Take the deal while you can, then trade Kazmir to someone else.

This is also a good strategy. You simply don't need Kazmir. But getting Felix and him in this deal is worth doing. Then as Johnny says, flip Kazmir to another team.

REDblooded
05-30-2007, 08:28 PM
yeah. Do this now......and add broxton asap.

Gallen5862
05-30-2007, 08:56 PM
Do the trade as soon as possible.

edabbs44
05-30-2007, 09:04 PM
I would turn around and deal Felix and keep Kaz. The King is headed for surgery.

freestyle55
05-31-2007, 09:55 AM
Unfortunately, the other team says that "my team is doing ok right now, I think I'm going to hold off for a while"... It seems like folks in our league are a little gun-shy at trading...

I'm still looking around our league to get some more offense. I just picked up Brad Hawpe off the waiver wire...I would just like to deal someone to pick up more offense...

freestyle55
05-31-2007, 09:56 AM
At this point, I don't have a roster spot for Broxton unless I trade one of the relivers, and my three guys all are starting relievers (even if two of them are Isringhausen and Wheeler)...

camisadelgolf
06-04-2007, 06:47 AM
I wouldn't do the trade. Granted, Burnett will probably get injured, but he's doing well, which Felix Hernandez isn't. Hernandez hasn't shown that he's 100% past his injury. If it turns out that Hernandez has been only slumping his past few starts and that it's nothing injury-related, then you're getting a good deal. However, it wouldn't surprise me at all to see Hernandez return to the DL with a more serious injury soon.