PDA

View Full Version : A-Rod Pulls a Willie Mays Hayes!

reds44
05-30-2007, 10:54 PM
Alex Rodriguez, apparently not satisfied with one controversy on the day, nearly traded blows with the Blue Jays' John McDonald and Howie Clark after apparently calling for a flyball while running the basepaths in the ninth inning Wednesday.

With the Yankees already up by two, A-Rod, running from first to third, seemingly called for the ball while in position behind the third baseman. The third baseman, who had an easy catch lined up, moved off the ball, apparently thinking the shortstop was going to catch it. It ended up dropping. giving Jorge Posada a free RBI single. There wasn't any video evidence that A-Rod actually made the call, but nothing else would have gotten the Jays upset. Manager John Gibbons came out on the field, and after play was set to resume, catcher Jason Phillips apparently said something to Jason Giambi at the plate. Fortunately, the series between the two teams came to an end tonight. If A-Rod had to bat again, the Jays surely would have thrown at him
I've never seen something like that besides Majoe League.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Reds Freak
05-30-2007, 11:01 PM
I read that and I thought surely it must be a joke. That is about as bush league as it gets, I can see that happening in a beer league softball game or a backyard whiffle ball game but never in a major league game. He's lucky that 3B didn't just go after him right after it happened...

hebroncougar
05-30-2007, 11:05 PM
If that did occur, ARod can expect several in the ribs from the Jays over the next couple of series.

jimbo
05-30-2007, 11:42 PM
Wow, several of A-Rod's recent tactics have really hovered around the borderline of respectable baseball and bush league. He's too good of a baseball player to be pulling crap like that off.

reds44
05-30-2007, 11:44 PM
Wow, several of A-Rod's recent tactics have really hovered around the borderline of respectable baseball and bush league. He's too good of a baseball player to be pulling crap like that off.
Do you think it would be different if a player like a Ryan Freel, Pete Rose, Darrin Erstard, or any other player of that type did it? The scrappy hustlers who do whatever it takes to win?

When does the point of trying to win a bush league meet?

jimbo
05-30-2007, 11:49 PM
Do you think it would be different if a player like a Ryan Freel, Pete Rose, Darrin Erstard, or any other player of that type did it? The scrappy hustlers who do whatever it takes to win?

When does the point of trying to win a bush league meet?

I wouldn't like it if any Reds player did what A-Rod did. Any major league player will tell you that there are unwritten rules that should not be crossed.

mroby85
05-31-2007, 12:01 AM
thats hilarious.

Sean_CaseyRules
05-31-2007, 12:30 AM
It worked didn't it? And he didn't get in trouble for it, yet, did he? Then I say fair play. I say you do whatever it takes to win.

Razor Shines
05-31-2007, 01:04 AM
He didn't "call for it", he yelled "Ha" as he ran by. If a major league 3rd baseman can't catch a ball because someone yelled "Ha" then that's on him. They showed it on ESPN you can clearly see his lips, and he didn't say anything more than "Ha".

I don't think it's that big of a deal, but I do think he should be thrown at the next time he faces the Jays.

Caseyfan21
05-31-2007, 08:30 AM
It's inappropriate if he called for it, but it's still funny. One time in knot hole there was a kid that had no idea what he was doing, and the coach yelled "Run!" to him and just after that I yelled "Come Back!" So the kid turned around and came right back to 1st base as our OF'ers chased the ball down. The ump out on the field and all my teammates were just falling over laughing. The coach of the other team was pretty PO'ed at me and my dad gave me a good talking to when I came back to the inning. But if people are that stupid they just shouldn't be playing the game.

I agree it's bush overall, but if a Reds player did it and it helped score a critical run, then more power to him. Just get ready for the ball in the ribs later this year.

hebroncougar
05-31-2007, 08:33 AM
He didn't "call for it", he yelled "Ha" as he ran by. If a major league 3rd baseman can't catch a ball because someone yelled "Ha" then that's on him. They showed it on ESPN you can clearly see his lips, and he didn't say anything more than "Ha".

I don't think it's that big of a deal, but I do think he should be thrown at the next time he faces the Jays.

So HE says. The Jays fielders say differently. I've never seen a big leaguer back off a baseball when someone yells "ha" like the jays fielder did. I say he better watch out for fastballs in the ribs next time they play the Jays. And for those of you that say "it's legal", so is drilling a player in the head with a ball when he's at the plate. After all, "it just slipped". There are unwritten rules you don't cross, unless you are bush league. Arod has that label from the playoffs a few years ago when he hit the pitchers arm who was covering first, and this just confirms it. He can try everything bush to win, but he'll never shake the "loser" tag and rightfully so.

hebroncougar
05-31-2007, 08:34 AM
It's inappropriate if he called for it, but it's still funny. One time in knot hole there was a kid that had no idea what he was doing, and the coach yelled "Run!" to him and just after that I yelled "Come Back!" So the kid turned around and came right back to 1st base as our OF'ers chased the ball down. The ump out on the field and all my teammates were just falling over laughing. The coach of the other team was pretty PO'ed at me and my dad gave me a good talking to when I came back to the inning. But if people are that stupid they just shouldn't be playing the game.

I agree it's bush overall, but if a Reds player did it and it helped score a critical run, then more power to him. Just get ready for the ball in the ribs later this year.

Yeah, that's pretty funny. To embarass a kid that doesn't know how to play the game. That will teach him how to play it the right way. Personally, I'd be the one that was embarassed if I'd have done that.

Reds Freak
05-31-2007, 08:39 AM
It worked didn't it? And he didn't get in trouble for it, yet, did he? Then I say fair play. I say you do whatever it takes to win.

You may say fair play because you do whatever it takes to win. But the Blue Jays and the rest of baseball won't think so. If that really happened, I will be disappointed if they don't give him a pitch or two in the ribs. There are some things in baseball that you just don't do even if they do help you to win. They might be legal plays but you just don't do it. You don't bunt for a base hit when a guy has a perfect game in the 9th inning, you don't steal a base when your team is up nine runs in the 8th inning, and you don't call for a ball when you are running behind a guy trying to catch a pop up...

durl
05-31-2007, 09:06 AM
Bush league AND illegal.

The definition as stated in Rule 2.00 is:

"(a) Offensive interference is an act by the team at bat which interferes with, obstructs, impedes, hinders or confuses any fielder attempting to make a play. If the umpire declares the batter, batter-runner, or a runner out for interference, all other runners shall return to the last base that was in the judgment of the umpire, legally touched at the time of the interference, unless otherwise provided by these rules."

Yelling at a fielder is interference and A-Rod is out. And he should go to Single A to learn how to play the game the right way.

UK Reds Fan
05-31-2007, 10:23 AM
Oh yes..the un-written rules of baseball that are made up on the fly.

1. You can't steal a base past the 7th inning while up more than 5 runs.
2. If a guy hits a HR, you have every right to drill the next batter...even though he had nothing to do with it.
3. Now you can't make any noise while running past a fielder on a fly ball. (but it is perfectly fine to slide 2 feet outside of base path while breaking up a double play)
4. No stealing of signs (but it is fine to use foreign substances on your hat, glove, corked bat, steriods, if you can get away with it)
5. Certain pitchers have earned the "right" to get an extra inch or two given their experience.

In NBA, do you not think guys yell at open shooters. In NFL, do you not think Lbers are yelling out fake signals to confuse a QB. Only baseball has this many un-written rules...which in some parts are counter-intuitive to the game itself.

hebroncougar
05-31-2007, 10:29 AM
Oh yes..the un-written rules of baseball that are made up on the fly.

1. You can't steal a base past the 7th inning while up more than 5 runs.
2. If a guy hits a HR, you have every right to drill the next batter...even though he had nothing to do with it.
3. Now you can't make any noise while running past a fielder on a fly ball. (but it is perfectly fine to slide 2 feet outside of base path while breaking up a double play)
4. No stealing of signs (but it is fine to use foreign substances on your hat, glove, corked bat, steriods, if you can get away with it)
5. Certain pitchers have earned the "right" to get an extra inch or two given their experience.

In NBA, do you not think guys yell at open shooters. In NFL, do you not think Lbers are yelling out fake signals to confuse a QB. Only baseball has this many un-written rules...which in some parts are counter-intuitive to the game itself.

Please don't compare apples and oranges. Neither even comes close to applying here. And if you've played, coached, or been a fan long enough, you know what's bush, and what's not.

UK Reds Fan
05-31-2007, 10:32 AM
Played football nearly my whole adolescent life and guys did anything and everything to win...no special rules/issues outside of hitting after the whistle blows that some guys did...which is a WRITTEN rule by the way.

Didn't play baseball past rec leagues, but geez...baseball gets a rap of a bunch of patsies with all of these "Un-written" rules.

Razor Shines
05-31-2007, 10:38 AM
So HE says. The Jays fielders say differently. I've never seen a big leaguer back off a baseball when someone yells "ha" like the jays fielder did. I say he better watch out for fastballs in the ribs next time they play the Jays. And for those of you that say "it's legal", so is drilling a player in the head with a ball when he's at the plate. After all, "it just slipped". There are unwritten rules you don't cross, unless you are bush league. Arod has that label from the playoffs a few years ago when he hit the pitchers arm who was covering first, and this just confirms it. He can try everything bush to win, but he'll never shake the "loser" tag and rightfully so.

Again watch the replay, he clearly yells "ha" or "wah". Of course the Blue Jay thirdbaseman is going to say that A-Rod called it, other wise he looks like an idiot.

And I'll take that "loser" on my team any day. If I had to pick one position player in all of baseball it would be A-Rod.

Razor Shines
05-31-2007, 10:52 AM
Please don't compare apples and oranges. Neither even comes close to applying here. And if you've played, coached, or been a fan long enough, you know what's bush, and what's not.

I played baseball in college and stuff like that happened. I'm not sure whether it's "bush league" or not, I don't even like using that term because it's so stupid.

reds44 was on to something, I think. And that is if it wasn't someone like A-Rod that did this it would be considered scrappy. But since so many people hate A-Rod it's considered "bush league", whatever that means.

Again I think it's fine that he did what he did, and I also think he should get drilled by the Blue Jays next time he comes up. And that's that, not as big of a deal as everyone is making it out to be.

UK Reds Fan
05-31-2007, 11:05 AM

So in little league baseball when the opposing fielders and bench players would make chants and try to distract the batter with (Batter..batter..batter...swing) type stuff...was that bush league?
I don't remember a game where that stuff didn't go on and was taught by coaches. It was annoying to hear all day, but happened all the time.

Isn't it in the same principle to what A-rod did?

I guess I just don't see the big deal. The 3B for Jays should have stayed on the ball and caught it...period.

durl
05-31-2007, 11:28 AM
So in little league baseball when the opposing fielders and bench players would make chants and try to distract the batter with (Batter..batter..batter...swing) type stuff...was that bush league?
I don't remember a game where that stuff didn't go on and was taught by coaches. It was annoying to hear all day, but happened all the time.

Isn't it in the same principle to what A-rod did?

I guess I just don't see the big deal. The 3B for Jays should have stayed on the ball and caught it...period.

A-Rod's yelling at a fielder qualifies as interfering with a fielder attempting to make a play according to MLB rules.

8-year-olds yelling "batter-batter" is not getting in the way of a fielder making a play.

Ludwig Reds Fan
05-31-2007, 11:51 AM
Wisdom for the day:

The whole world needs to take all of their arbitrary subjective "unwritten rules" and either write them down and MAKE them rules, or stfu.

"Its an unwritten rule," is a wishy-washy statement AT BEST. And I am no A-Rod fan, but lemme tell you if the Jays think they have some right to throw at A-Rod because of this, if I were A-Rod, I'd be taking my bat to the mound shortly after.

...because THATS another "unwritten rule." If someone intentionally throws a 90mph baseball at you for the purpose of harm, then you have the right to swing a 90mph bat at them for the purpose of harm. :rolleyes:

..."its an unwritten rule." Well isn't that CONVENIENT. ;)
http://www.christreformed.org/about/churchlady1.jpg

jimbo
05-31-2007, 01:30 PM
reds44 was on to something, I think. And that is if it wasn't someone like A-Rod that did this it would be considered scrappy. But since so many people hate A-Rod it's considered "bush league", whatever that means.

That's certainly not the case as far as my opinion goes. If he did say "I got it," then I would feel the same way no matter who had done it, A-Rod or Ryan Freel. I've been an A-Rod fan and supporter for a long time, but that is just crossing the line, IMO. If it was just a "hah," then it may not seem quite as bad but is still wrong. I have not seen the replay so I really can't confirm one way or the other. I, in no way shape or form, hate A-Rod.

And "bush league" is a term I've heard ever since I played high school ball back in the mid-80's. I don't think it's stupid, it's just a term. It just represents a dirty way of playing the game. The game of baseball deserves a certain amount of respect when it's played. If we are going to allow "anything goes" mentality, then they should rope in the field and call it a cage match.

jimbo
05-31-2007, 01:35 PM

Easier said than done. When I played, I was always taught to say "mine" instead of "I got it" so as to minimize any confusion. If someone comes up from behind me and yells something, it is usually my first indication to get out of the way because "mine" is the only thing that is supposed to be communicated during a flyball play. Here we are talking about a noisey stadium coupled with the fact that it becomes instinct to move out of the way given that situation.

It's very easy to understand why they reacted the way they did, I find it hard blaming them at all.

durl
05-31-2007, 01:37 PM
Interfering with a fielder who is attempting to make a play is not an unwritten rule in baseball.

From the Official Rules, Section 2.0 - Definition of Terms
"INTERFERENCE
(a) Offensive interference is an act by the team at bat which interferes with, obstructs, impedes, hinders or confuses any fielder attempting to make a play."

The only thing that could be disputed is whether yelling at a fielder looking up at a fly ball "hinders" or "confuses" the fielder (I believe it does) which makes it a judgement call, not an "unwritten rule."

jmble
05-31-2007, 01:40 PM
I've been listening to Rome today talking about this, and a caller called in with a really good point on this....

One of the main reason for fielders calling off other fielders is to prevent collissions when both players are looking up for the ball. Did we not just see Ryan Freel almost die in the outfield? Bad things can happen in the field when players are unaware of where other players are on the field. It doesn't seem right to take advantage of that if you are the batter.

Now I'm not saying A-Rod did it or didn't do it. I'm just saying that doing it would be wrong.

Razor Shines
05-31-2007, 02:03 PM
That's certainly not the case as far as my opinion goes. If he did say "I got it," then I would feel the same way no matter who had done it, A-Rod or Ryan Freel. I've been an A-Rod fan and supporter for a long time, but that is just crossing the line, IMO. If it was just a "hah," then it may not seem quite as bad but is still wrong. I have not seen the replay so I really can't confirm one way or the other. I, in no way shape or form, hate A-Rod.

And "bush league" is a term I've heard ever since I played high school ball back in the mid-80's. I don't think it's stupid, it's just a term. It just represents a dirty way of playing the game. The game of baseball deserves a certain amount of respect when it's played. If we are going to allow "anything goes" mentality, then they should rope in the field and call it a cage match.

Yeah I'm very familiar with the term, I just think it's stupid. The only reason anyone should say "bush league" is if they are quoting Will Ferrell from "Anchorman", IMHO.

As far as roping off the field and calling it a cage match, I think you're exaggerating my point just a touch.

BTW, he didn't say "I got it". Clark was on Cold Pizza (or whatever it's called now) this morning talking about the play. And said that he thought he heard "Mine", but said it could have very well been "Ha". And if we're talking about un-written rules shouldn't Clark have declined to talk about it on national television and taken care of it on the field?

Either way I don't think it's a big deal. I wouldn't have done what A-Rod did, but I don't think the fact that he did it is a big deal.

Caseyfan21
05-31-2007, 02:16 PM
Yeah, that's pretty funny. To embarass a kid that doesn't know how to play the game. That will teach him how to play it the right way. Personally, I'd be the one that was embarassed if I'd have done that.

That kid was the same age as me. As I stated in my post "When I was in knothole..." Yeah, if I was a parent to a knothole that would be incredibly immature but I was just relating a funny relevant story from the old knothole days. It's not like everyone here hasn't embarrassed another person during their teenage years, whether in sports, groups, school, etc.

And if you noticed I said it was bush league for ARod to do it, but IMO if a major league player is fooled by something like that it's pretty weak.

klw
05-31-2007, 02:55 PM
However had he yelled "Noonan" it would have been perfectly acceptable.
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e393/djbjkxua/caddyshack.jpg

Reds Freak
05-31-2007, 03:21 PM
That kid was the same age as me. As I stated in my post "When I was in knothole..." Yeah, if I was a parent to a knothole that would be incredibly immature but I was just relating a funny relevant story from the old knothole days. It's not like everyone here hasn't embarrassed another person during their teenage years, whether in sports, groups, school, etc.

And if you noticed I said it was bush league for ARod to do it, but IMO if a major league player is fooled by something like that it's pretty weak.

Here's why I don't think it's weak for a major league player to be fooled caseyfan. The player under the pop up was a 3B. I didn't see the highlights to see where the pop was at but anytime a SS calls off a 3B, he is taught 100 percent of the time to get the heck out of the way. He's not expecting for a runner to be barking at him as he rounds third. If everytime a 3B hears someone call it behind them, he has to turn around and make sure that player is actually on his team then there are problems...

bucksfan2
05-31-2007, 03:40 PM
I did not see this play but as I understand it it was a complete bush league play. Players communicate to prevent collisions and injuries. Anytime, as an opposing player, you interfere with a players ability to make a play on the ball you are doing harm to both the player and players around the ball. As a post above stated the left side of the infield is the SS. He has a better angle at the ball and is supposed to have an easier play on the ball. As a former SS ARod knows this. I am suprised a fight didn't break out right away after this happened.

mole44
05-31-2007, 03:41 PM
he should go to Single A to learn how to play the game the right way.

Jerry, is that you?

DTCromer
05-31-2007, 04:17 PM
I love how everyone hates ARod for this.

I can pretty much guarentee you if Josh Hamilton, Griffey, or Brandon Phillips did this to the Blue Jays, nothing would be said. If you can't catch a pop up because someone yelled, "HAH," then you should be cut on the spot.

The Blue Jays just hate the guy and got pissed. . . .the amount of hate for this guy amazes me.

And as far as communication, communication on a pop up and communication whille running in the outfield are two compeltely different things. How many people get hurt by colliding on a pop up? The guy got missed the ball a pop up and the Blue Jays are just sore losers. . .deal with it.

klw
05-31-2007, 04:41 PM
[QUOTE=DTCromer;1368175]I love how everyone hates ARod for this.

I can pretty much guarentee you if Josh Hamilton, Griffey, or Brandon Phillips did this to the Blue Jays, nothing would be said. If you can't catch a pop up because someone yelled, "HAH," then you should be cut on the spot.

QUOTE]

It reminds me of a few years back when Albert Belle ran over a 2b (Fernando Vina) causing an international outcry and lead to a suspension. IIRC Vina had run someone over a week before and there was a very similar play a day or two days later which lead to absolute silence.

captainmorgan07
05-31-2007, 04:46 PM
A-Rod is also famous for his slapping the ball out of arroyo's glove in the ALCS a few years ago

Caseyfan21
05-31-2007, 04:47 PM
Here's why I don't think it's weak for a major league player to be fooled caseyfan. The player under the pop up was a 3B. I didn't see the highlights to see where the pop was at but anytime a SS calls off a 3B, he is taught 100 percent of the time to get the heck out of the way. He's not expecting for a runner to be barking at him as he rounds third. If everytime a 3B hears someone call it behind them, he has to turn around and make sure that player is actually on his team then there are problems...

Oh yes, I understand completely. Let me preface by saying I have not seen a highlight of this whatsoever as well. My only knowledge of the play is what's been said in this thread.

But, if he only yelled "Mine" or "Hah" at the 3rd baseman once, that should absolutely not affect his concentration on a routine infield pop. If so, how does he react to fans yelling things out at him on plays? If he had repeatedly yelled "Mine" or "I got it!" that's another story but as I understand from comments in this thread he yelled one time as he ran by. I played 1st base quite a bit in high school and if I just heard a quick "Mine" I wouldn't give way, I'd always listen for a repeated "Mine, Mine, Mine" before I gave way on any pop fly. That's what the players on my team were taught by coaches (the infield coach on my team did play professional baseball in the minors as a SS). Always be loud and repeat it over and over as you tracked a ball.

I said in my post it's dirty to do something like that but I can't feel bad for the third baseman. I guess in my post I wasn't supporting ARod or his actions, but simply getting saying it shouldn't have had that big of an affect. I agree that ARod has done some pretty questionable things in terms of this and the shove a few years ago, but I guess I can't see why people jump on him so fast. No one on this board jumped at Norris Hopper when he put the ball back in Freel's glove? That's pretty "bush," "dirty," etc, isn't it? He absolutely cheated but no one in the national news media jumped on top of him for it. I don't like ARod but I usually at least respect his ability and don't know why he takes so much heat from people around MLB.

DTCromer
05-31-2007, 04:49 PM
A-Rod is also famous for his slapping the ball out of arroyo's glove in the ALCS a few years ago

So what? People just made fun of him because they hated him. . . .including me. But I've tempered my emotions on him since then.

Him slapping the ball out of the guy's glove wasn't a bad idea because he knew he was going to be out anyway. Unfortunately for him, he was called out. He's just trying to win any way he can.

I said in my post it's dirty to do something like that but I can't feel bad for the third baseman.

How is what he did dirty? I consider "dirty" stepping on the first basemen's ankle as you run by. . .sorta what Pierzynski almost did the other night.

jimbo
05-31-2007, 04:51 PM
He's just trying to win any way he can.

Since when has baseball become a "win any way you can" type of sport? At what point do you draw the line?

DTCromer
05-31-2007, 04:55 PM
Since when has baseball become a "win any way you can" type of sport? At what point do you draw the line?

He's not on steroids. He's not playing with a corked bat. He's not injuring other plays. He's not doing any of that, yet people say he's a "cheater" or a "dirty" player.

I don't get it. I really don't. People hate ARod because he's making $25 million a year and he plays for the Yankees.. . . . plain and simple. Don't let your hatred for the guy blind your logical reasoning.

jimbo
05-31-2007, 04:58 PM
Oh yes, I understand completely. Let me preface by saying I have not seen a highlight of this whatsoever as well. My only knowledge of the play is what's been said in this thread.

But, if he only yelled "Mine" or "Hah" at the 3rd baseman once, that should absolutely not affect his concentration on a routine infield pop. If so, how does he react to fans yelling things out at him on plays? If he had repeatedly yelled "Mine" or "I got it!" that's another story but as I understand from comments in this thread he yelled one time as he ran by. I played 1st base quite a bit in high school and if I just heard a quick "Mine" I wouldn't give way, I'd always listen for a repeated "Mine, Mine, Mine" before I gave way on any pop fly. That's what the players on my team were taught by coaches (the infield coach on my team did play professional baseball in the minors as a SS). Always be loud and repeat it over and over as you tracked a ball.

I said in my post it's dirty to do something like that but I can't feel bad for the third baseman. I guess in my post I wasn't supporting ARod or his actions, but simply getting saying it shouldn't have had that big of an affect. I agree that ARod has done some pretty questionable things in terms of this and the shove a few years ago, but I guess I can't see why people jump on him so fast. No one on this board jumped at Norris Hopper when he put the ball back in Freel's glove? That's pretty "bush," "dirty," etc, isn't it? He absolutely cheated but no one in the national news media jumped on top of him for it. I don't like ARod but I usually at least respect his ability and don't know why he takes so much heat from people around MLB.

Great post, you make some excellent points.

All I will say is that I disagree in that just hearing it once should not break his concentration. To me it isn't about concentration, but the fact that hearing something he may think is "mine" right behind him will and should trigger a conditioned action of getting out of the play. And distinguishing whether or not that sound is coming from several yards away in the crowd as opposed to right behind him should be easy and not a factor, IMO.

And I repeat my opinion that it wouldn't have mattered who it was that did it as far as I'm concerned. A-Rod is just obviously going to be more media attention when he does such things, and he is developing a track record.

Also, I in no way compare it to what Hopper did. In that situation the play was over and he was not acting in a manner to interfere with an opposing player. Freel had already caught the ball, all Hopper did was eliminate any doubt the umpire may have had.

jimbo
05-31-2007, 05:04 PM
He's not on steroids. He's not playing with a corked bat. He's not injuring other plays. He's not doing any of that, yet people say he's a "cheater" or a "dirty" player.

I don't get it. I really don't. People hate ARod because he's making $25 million a year and he plays for the Yankees.. . . . plain and simple. Don't let your hatred for the guy blind your logical reasoning.

You are just making assumptions that it has everything to do with a hatred towards A-Rod and with the amount of money he makes. Maybe I missed it, but I also haven't seen anyone call A-Rod a "cheater" or "dirty" player. You might just want to consider that it does simply have something to do with a play that many feel was not in the best spirit of the game, regardless of who did it.

And for the last time, I DO NOT HATE A-ROD.

DTCromer
05-31-2007, 05:05 PM
You are just making assumptions that it has everything to do with a hatred towards A-Rod and with the amount of money he makes. Maybe I missed it, but I also haven't seen anyone call A-Rod a "cheater" or "dirty" player. You might just want to consider that it does simply have something to do with a play that many feel was not in the best spirit of the game, regardless of who did it.

And for the last time, I DO NOT HATE A-ROD.

There seems to be plenty of people who have called him a cheater or dirty player or thinly disguised it as that. The Blue Jays said everything but call him those words.

Also, I apologize for lumping you into that group of people. I was a bit presemptuous.

Caseyfan21
05-31-2007, 05:12 PM
Also, I in no way compare it to what Hopper did. In that situation the play was over and he was not acting in a manner to interfere with an opposing player. Freel had already caught the ball, all Hopper did was eliminate any doubt the umpire may have had.

Good point. I didn't think about it from an interference perspective, just from an end result perspective.

Reds Freak
05-31-2007, 05:53 PM
I love how everyone hates ARod for this.

The Blue Jays just hate the guy and got pissed. . . .the amount of hate for this guy amazes me.

And as far as communication, communication on a pop up and communication whille running in the outfield are two compeltely different things. How many people get hurt by colliding on a pop up? The guy got missed the ball a pop up and the Blue Jays are just sore losers. . .deal with it.

Just for the record, I didn't hate ARod before and I don't hate ARod after but I still think it was a bush play. It wasn't dirty, just bush. And yes if Hamilton or Phillips did that I would maintain that it is still a bush league play. I don't see yelling at the 3B as doing whatever it takes to win, I see that as being a punk (if the alleged statements truly occurred)...

MaineRed
06-01-2007, 12:31 PM
Again watch the replay, he clearly yells "ha" or "wah". Of course the Blue Jay thirdbaseman is going to say that A-Rod called it, other wise he looks like an idiot.

And I'll take that "loser" on my team any day. If I had to pick one position player in all of baseball it would be A-Rod.

If I was the Yankees I'd drill the Jays third basemen for making up a story that A-Rod was yelling he's got it. THAT is bush league. He said HA. Yoopty doo. How is the Jays third sacker ever going to make a catch in foul territory on the road if he can't take someone yelling HA at him? And when did HA become the international signal from major league short stops to call off their teammates?

The dope should have caught the ball and then run off the field while brushing A-Rod while saying, nice try, pretty boy.

ThatsAStrike
06-01-2007, 12:38 PM
I saw the video several times and it looked to me like he clearly said, "Mine." As mentioned above, the reason fielders communicate with each other is mainly to avoid injury. If he did say "mine," I think it was a pretty low (and kinda childish) thing to do. And I can guarantee you I'd feel the same way if a Reds player did it. Just my opinion.

Ludwig Reds Fan
06-01-2007, 05:59 PM
Reporter: "So ARod, only 2 HRs today?"

ARod: Smug smile.

Buy More Deodorant!